GA tips (NO SETLIST SPOILERS)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

youarenotimmune

Refugee
NO SETLIST SPOILERS PLEASE!

Now that the tour is officially underway, please give all GA related advice in this thread. Things like:

• When to line up if you want a good spot
  • Best spots on the floor
  • Time doors open
  • How CC entry works (do they check identification or not?)
  • Whether wristbands are assigned after swiping your CC
  • etc. etc.

Thanks! :wave:

Great thread, thanks. Also wondering about how the paperless entry works.

1) When to line up if you want a good spot:

4:00. Seriously. At 10:00 there were around 200-250 people in line. At 2:00? About 25 more people than at 10:00. At 4:00? Maybe another 100-150 than at 2:00. Great spots on the floor were available for quite some time after the gates opened; probably at least a half hour. There was PLENTY of room available on the floor even once it was "full."

The GA line was so abnormal to how it has been in the past that it was simply head-scratchingly odd, in that there were so few people lining up in advance.

2) Best spots on the floor?

Anywhere in the "50 yard line" range, either against the railing by the catwalk or near the Red Zone railing. The band spent a good deal of time on the "e stage" and catwalk and fans who were near the main stage probably saw little of those parts of the show; the area near the main stage was pretty crowded compared to the rest of the floor. But be warned: if against the catwalk rail you won't be able to see the band at all when they are "in the screen." Actually the screen, period, will be of little use to you. (This is where I was... about halfway down the catwalk and against the rail; arrived around 1:30.)

3) Time doors opened?

6:15.

4) How CC entry works:

No ID was checked. In fact, my ticket taker specifically said it wasn't needed. That may be venue/ticket taker specific. Card is swiped and tickets print out. You then go to a (crowded) table and show your ticket in exchange for a wristband that directs you north or south. Be prepared to needle your way in to the wristbands folks.

All in all, best overall GA experience I've ever had at a U2 show (and I've had a lot of them). I think you could literally stroll in an hour before the show and get a great spot on the floor. Don't succumb to the temptation to be near the main stage. Lots goes on away from it, and frequently even when the band is there Bono is elsewhere. The show started and ended with a good amount of main stage action, but the middle 60% pretty much occurred elsewhere. And if you want the "big picture" be willing to back up and be nearer the stands.

1) When to line up if you want a good spot:

4:00. Seriously. At 10:00 there were around 200-250 people in line. At 2:00? About 25 more people than at 10:00. At 4:00? Maybe another 100-150 than at 2:00. Great spots on the floor were available for quite some time after the gates opened; probably at least a half hour. There was PLENTY of room available on the floor even once it was "full."

The GA line was so abnormal to how it has been in the past that it was simply head-scratchingly odd, in that there were so few people lining up in advance.

2) Best spots on the floor?

Anywhere in the "50 yard line" range, either against the railing by the catwalk or near the Red Zone railing. The band spent a good deal of time on the "e stage" and catwalk and fans who were near the main stage probably saw little of those parts of the show; the area near the main stage was pretty crowded compared to the rest of the floor. But be warned: if against the catwalk rail you won't be able to see the band at all when they are "in the screen." Actually the screen, period, will be of little use to you. (This is where I was... about halfway down the catwalk and against the rail; arrived around 1:30.)

3) Time doors opened?

6:15.

4) How CC entry works:

No ID was checked. In fact, my ticket taker specifically said it wasn't needed. That may be venue/ticket taker specific. Card is swiped and tickets print out. You then go to a (crowded) table and show your ticket in exchange for a wristband that directs you north or south. Be prepared to needle your way in to the wristbands folks.

All in all, best overall GA experience I've ever had at a U2 show (and I've had a lot of them). I think you could literally stroll in an hour before the show and get a great spot on the floor. Don't succumb to the temptation to be near the main stage. Lots goes on away from it, and frequently even when the band is there Bono is elsewhere. The show started and ended with a good amount of main stage action, but the middle 60% pretty much occurred elsewhere. And if you want the "big picture" be willing to back up and be nearer the stands.

:up:

NO SETLIST SPOILERS PLEASE!

Now that the tour is officially underway, please give all GA related advice in this thread. Things like:

• When to line up if you want a good spot
  • Best spots on the floor
  • Time doors open
  • How CC entry works (do they check identification or not?)
  • Whether wristbands are assigned after swiping your CC
  • etc. etc.

Thanks! :wave:

1) you can walk into GA at the start of the show and get a fantastic spot. No lining up needed.

2) best spot is anywhere in the middle. They didn't spend that much time at the main stage

3) only cc needed. I offered them my ID and they basically told me to go pound sand

4) they will assign you a wristband after you swipe your cc. We got north side just like our tickets said

5) I'm drunk

Sent from my SGH-I337M using U2 Interference mobile app

Honestly, from the looks of it, unless you absolutely have to get a front rail spot, you can walk in 10 minutes from the start of the show and still get a great spot relatively close to the stage in GA.

Honestly, from the looks of it, unless you absolutely have to get a front rail spot, you can walk in 10 minutes from the start of the show and still get a great spot relatively close to the stage in GA.

Indeed it does.

Will be interesting to hear what everyone else has to say as the tour goes on, but based off last night I should be able to go from my couch to 5-10 feet away from the b stage in about 20 minutes time... which is nice.

What do the 'tickets' that they hand you after the C.C. scan look like? Like regular ones or just paper which gives you a few details? Kind of curious from the collector's POV there...

What do the 'tickets' that they hand you after the C.C. scan look like? Like regular ones or just paper which gives you a few details? Kind of curious from the collector's POV there...

It's a tear-off print-out that is about the size of a credit card. Basically the lamest souvenir of a concert you could end up with; very minimal info. It does state the event, location, and date though.

Indeed it does.

Will be interesting to hear what everyone else has to say as the tour goes on, but based off last night I should be able to go from my couch to 5-10 feet away from the b stage in about 20 minutes time... which is nice.

That seals it. Pre-game at Headache's place.

Ive got a long time to decide where to stand for London. But im going twice so i think im gonna try and get as close to the rail as i can,half way on the floor and the other gig ill go half way again but further back so i can see everything on the screen.

I will read all the advice ✋?

I have already started the line for Glasgow in November, people will need to check in at my house in Liverpool, but I have assigned myself number 1 and intend on turning up at around 6pm and going straight to the front.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I have already started the line for Glasgow in November, people will need to check in at my house in Liverpool, but I have assigned myself number 1 and intend on turning up at around 6pm and going straight to the front.

Have you cleared that with Vik?

It's a tear-off print-out that is about the size of a credit card. Basically the lamest souvenir of a concert you could end up with; very minimal info. It does state the event, location, and date though.

Huh. Well, I suppose it's better than nothing, haha. Thanks for clarifying.

16608-17207.gif

Vik...corrected her.

Last edited:
So it sounds like you don't have to line up all day to get a good GA spot. :up:

Let's see if GAers in the following few shows echo this sentiment. Although if people at the tour opener are talking about reaching the venue late and still getting good spots, I'm pretty sure it'll be the same (if not better) at the rest of the shows (in North America at least).

If they decide not to line up I moving busy line up to piss the line nazis off that will mess with their mind

So, unlike the past, we don't have to camp out over night?

Even though I didn't mind that experience. I'm taking my friend to her first U2 GA show and I've been telling her we usually have to line up over night.

If you wanted to maximize your ability to see the screens, as well as your closeness to the band, where would you end up? It sounds like closer to the e part of the stage, but I don't know how far back.

So, unlike the past, we don't have to camp out over night?

Even though I didn't mind that experience. I'm taking my friend to her first U2 GA show and I've been telling her we usually have to line up over night.

You really didn't need to camp out previously, either... now you just REALLY don't need to camp out.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom