Exchanging Tickets this Tour - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 iNNOCENCE + eXPERIENCE Tour Central - 2015 Archive > General Tour Discussion
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2014, 06:24 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 03:30 AM
Exchanging Tickets this Tour

I just have an opinion I want to share and would love some feedback.

Almost ten years ago, I became a regular poster on this site and, over time, began exchanging tickets, usually 1 for 1 to different shows, through the mail. In most cases, it was simply a matter of trust, often times putting a rare GA ticket for perhaps Vegas, NYC, or Boston in an envelope on a leap of faith that I would get back an envelope containing whatever ticket was bargained for. Not once was I let down, although it could have happened ever so easily. I can't begin to count the friends I made along the way. And my plans changed from 3 or 4 shows to almost 20. And I made more friends, and memories, that are priceless.

Now, with the paperless ticket, the ticket exchange as I have come to know it, will be virtually extinct. Instead, come May, I suspect many of us will find ourselves negotiating 2, 3, or even 4-way trades to become someone's "plus 1." In a very real way, that "leap of faith" will become even greater, because it won't just be a paper ticket at risk; instead, it will be a trip to NYC or LA, and plans for a string of shows. I may trade a "plus 1" GA in Chicago for someone's "plus 1" in Boston and that person is trading for yet another "plus 1" in LA.

I look forward to seeing how this unfolds, and I suspect my number of shows will reach a far greater number than I now anticipate, as will my new friendships and memories.

I'd love to hear people's thoughts on how this will unfold.

bfloxng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 06:30 PM   #2
Mirror Ball Man 2.0

Local Time: 02:30 AM
Funny... it was you bfloxng I was thinking about when this paperless ticket thing came around.

You were always solid in helping sorting out people in previous tours.

U2BROTHR's EXPERIENCE & INNOCENCE TOUR
VEGAS 1 VEGAS 2 MONTREAL 1 U2@APOLLO BELFAST1 BELFAST 2
U2BROTHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 06:32 PM   #3
Ghost of Love

If this is who I recall it is, and I think it is, you can count me in and count on me. I would travel to any show you wanted to meet up at and we walk through those gates together. It's the only way fan trading of these paperless tickets will work, right?

Sent from my ass crack

http://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

gvox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 06:35 PM   #4
Ghost of Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2BROTHR View Post
Funny... it was you bfloxng I was thinking about when this paperless ticket thing came around.

You were always solid in helping sorting out people in previous tours.

Ha! Guess I was right! Seconded!

bfloxng ...saw you post a day or so ago and wondered when you'd pop up

Sent from my ass crack

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Old 12-05-2014, 06:41 PM   #5
Refugee

My old friends from North of the Border what's up!
It's going to be interesting next year seeing how this all works out.
In the end, it should work out for the best IMHO.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:42 PM   #6
Blue Crack Distributor

Damned if you do damned if you don't. They try to do something many other acts have done to combat scalpers, and end up accidentally inconveniencing fans with good intent.

I'm sure it'll work out, as people here are always incredibly helpful and understanding.

On a side note... Pearl Jam does something similar with their 10Club tickets. They only sell in pairs, and you pick the tickets up day of. A big "plus 1" trade community has come about because of it. I did the swap with a fan from Seattle who had tickets for night 2 (I had night 1) and it worked out great. So there's hope.
Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 06:45 PM   #7
Ghost of Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloxng View Post
My old friends from North of the Border what's up!

It's going to be interesting next year seeing how this all works out.

In the end, it should work out for the best IMHO.

Clean up yer inbox yo! I have a new # since we last connected..

Sent from my ass crack

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Old 12-05-2014, 06:47 PM   #8
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
Damned if you do damned if you don't. They try to do something many other acts have done to combat scalpers, and end up accidentally inconveniencing fans with good intent.

I'm sure it'll work out, as people here are always incredibly helpful and understanding.

On a side note... Pearl Jam does something similar with their 10Club tickets. They only sell in pairs, and you pick the tickets up day of. A big "plus 1" trade community has come about because of it. I did the swap with a fan from Seattle who had tickets for night 2 (I had night 1) and it worked out great. So there's hope.
Agreed. I do confess I wish it was pickup 24 hours prior to event it would make things easier logistically. There are bound to be issues with the lines when someone's "plus 1" shows up at 3:00 PM when his/her counterpart was there the night before. It would certainly be much easier to grab your two tickets and hand the second one to someone rather than having to be glued at the hip. I have a feeling as many as 5% of tickets may go to waste on account of this system owing to travel plan changes, lost credit cards/IDs, or late arrivals, and that is a shame. Nevertheless, I likewise suspect a "plus 1" trade community will evolve here.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:50 PM   #9
Ghost of Love

I'd like to think that people in the line would be a lot more tolerant of a plus 1 now that it's basically being forced on us by U2/TM...but what about a "plus 4" or "plus 8"? Lol

Mind you, nobody ain't gettin no 8 GA tickets on Tuesday. Not happening!

Sent from my ass crack

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Old 12-05-2014, 06:52 PM   #10
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
Clean up yer inbox yo! I have a new # since we last connected..

Sent from my ass crack
Done! (700 messages POOF...all of those memories vanished in the click of a mouse).
Old 12-06-2014, 01:49 AM   #11
Refugee

On the 360 tour I gave a ticket to an interference member for free for one of the shows in Toronto. He lived in Holland and talk about trust he flew over to Canada without the ticket and had enough trust to meet me in the GA line to get the ticket the day of the show. I thought that was a pretty cool thing....... then almost a year later I came on interference looking to see if anyone had two extra GA tickets to the show in Seville, Spain. About an hour after posting my request the same guy replied and said he did. He said I could have the one for free and the second one for face value. fair enough. I sent him the money, he mailed me the tickets. Pretty awesome story if I do say so myself.
Hallucination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 02:24 AM   #12
An Interferer

Local Time: 12:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloxng View Post
Done! (700 messages POOF...all of those memories vanished in the click of a mouse).
Old 12-06-2014, 02:28 AM   #13
An Interferer

Local Time: 12:30 AM
Quote:
I'd like to think that people in the line would be a lot more tolerant of a plus 1 now that it's basically being forced on us by U2/TM...
You would hope so.
But I'm afraid you might be thinking way too naive or positive about mankind there.
I'm not so confident about it.
Old 12-06-2014, 02:35 AM   #14
Refugee

Quote:
I'd like to think that people in the line would be a lot more tolerant of a plus 1 now that it's basically being forced on us by U2/TM...but what about a "plus 4" or "plus 8"? Lol

Mind you, nobody ain't gettin no 8 GA tickets on Tuesday. Not happening
Are you talking about someone waiting in line all day and then 30 minutes before the doors open their friend shows up and joins in line? If so I gotta say I think that's BS. It's so annoying based on the simple fact the people who wait in line all day should not have someone Johnny come lately walk in front of them 30 minutes prior to doors opening. If people want to attend GA they should put in the time like everyone else. I know some people will say "oh well some people can't afford to take a whole day off or can't get the time off" and to that I say oh well. truth is most people who say that actually can afford it and actually can get the time off they simply say they can't. We'll have at least 5 months to sort things out. People should make the appropriate preparations.

I just don't understand people who agree to GA tickets but feel as though they are entitled to skip the process of lining up ya know?
Hallucination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 02:40 AM   #15
Refugee

The distinction here is we are now FORCED to have a "plus 1" meaning if I agree to trade my second GA with someone and choose to get in line first hypothetically two days before, what happens when my "plus 1" who I traded with (and thus cannot get in without me) shows up five minutes before the doors open. I'm just creating discussion.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference