Exchanging Tickets this Tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bfloxng

Refugee
I just have an opinion I want to share and would love some feedback.

Almost ten years ago, I became a regular poster on this site and, over time, began exchanging tickets, usually 1 for 1 to different shows, through the mail. In most cases, it was simply a matter of trust, often times putting a rare GA ticket for perhaps Vegas, NYC, or Boston in an envelope on a leap of faith that I would get back an envelope containing whatever ticket was bargained for. Not once was I let down, although it could have happened ever so easily. I can't begin to count the friends I made along the way. And my plans changed from 3 or 4 shows to almost 20. And I made more friends, and memories, that are priceless.

Now, with the paperless ticket, the ticket exchange as I have come to know it, will be virtually extinct. Instead, come May, I suspect many of us will find ourselves negotiating 2, 3, or even 4-way trades to become someone's "plus 1." In a very real way, that "leap of faith" will become even greater, because it won't just be a paper ticket at risk; instead, it will be a trip to NYC or LA, and plans for a string of shows. I may trade a "plus 1" GA in Chicago for someone's "plus 1" in Boston and that person is trading for yet another "plus 1" in LA.

I look forward to seeing how this unfolds, and I suspect my number of shows will reach a far greater number than I now anticipate, as will my new friendships and memories.

I'd love to hear people's thoughts on how this will unfold.

Funny... it was you bfloxng I was thinking about when this paperless ticket thing came around.

You were always solid in helping sorting out people in previous tours.

If this is who I recall it is, and I think it is, you can count me in and count on me. I would travel to any show you wanted to meet up at and we walk through those gates together. It's the only way fan trading of these paperless tickets will work, right?

Sent from my ass crack

My old friends from North of the Border what's up!
It's going to be interesting next year seeing how this all works out.
In the end, it should work out for the best IMHO.

Damned if you do damned if you don't. They try to do something many other acts have done to combat scalpers, and end up accidentally inconveniencing fans with good intent.

I'm sure it'll work out, as people here are always incredibly helpful and understanding.

On a side note... Pearl Jam does something similar with their 10Club tickets. They only sell in pairs, and you pick the tickets up day of. A big "plus 1" trade community has come about because of it. I did the swap with a fan from Seattle who had tickets for night 2 (I had night 1) and it worked out great. So there's hope.

Damned if you do damned if you don't. They try to do something many other acts have done to combat scalpers, and end up accidentally inconveniencing fans with good intent.

I'm sure it'll work out, as people here are always incredibly helpful and understanding.

On a side note... Pearl Jam does something similar with their 10Club tickets. They only sell in pairs, and you pick the tickets up day of. A big "plus 1" trade community has come about because of it. I did the swap with a fan from Seattle who had tickets for night 2 (I had night 1) and it worked out great. So there's hope.

Agreed. I do confess I wish it was pickup 24 hours prior to event it would make things easier logistically. There are bound to be issues with the lines when someone's "plus 1" shows up at 3:00 PM when his/her counterpart was there the night before. It would certainly be much easier to grab your two tickets and hand the second one to someone rather than having to be glued at the hip. I have a feeling as many as 5% of tickets may go to waste on account of this system owing to travel plan changes, lost credit cards/IDs, or late arrivals, and that is a shame. Nevertheless, I likewise suspect a "plus 1" trade community will evolve here.

I'd like to think that people in the line would be a lot more tolerant of a plus 1 now that it's basically being forced on us by U2/TM...but what about a "plus 4" or "plus 8"? Lol

Mind you, nobody ain't gettin no 8 GA tickets on Tuesday. Not happening!

Sent from my ass crack

On the 360 tour I gave a ticket to an interference member for free for one of the shows in Toronto. He lived in Holland and talk about trust he flew over to Canada without the ticket and had enough trust to meet me in the GA line to get the ticket the day of the show. I thought that was a pretty cool thing....... then almost a year later I came on interference looking to see if anyone had two extra GA tickets to the show in Seville, Spain. About an hour after posting my request the same guy replied and said he did. He said I could have the one for free and the second one for face value. fair enough. I sent him the money, he mailed me the tickets. Pretty awesome story if I do say so myself.

I'd like to think that people in the line would be a lot more tolerant of a plus 1 now that it's basically being forced on us by U2/TM...

You would hope so.
But I'm afraid you might be thinking way too naive or positive about mankind there.
I'm not so confident about it.

I'd like to think that people in the line would be a lot more tolerant of a plus 1 now that it's basically being forced on us by U2/TM...but what about a "plus 4" or "plus 8"? Lol

Mind you, nobody ain't gettin no 8 GA tickets on Tuesday. Not happening
Are you talking about someone waiting in line all day and then 30 minutes before the doors open their friend shows up and joins in line? If so I gotta say I think that's BS. It's so annoying based on the simple fact the people who wait in line all day should not have someone Johnny come lately walk in front of them 30 minutes prior to doors opening. If people want to attend GA they should put in the time like everyone else. I know some people will say "oh well some people can't afford to take a whole day off or can't get the time off" and to that I say oh well. truth is most people who say that actually can afford it and actually can get the time off they simply say they can't. We'll have at least 5 months to sort things out. People should make the appropriate preparations.

I just don't understand people who agree to GA tickets but feel as though they are entitled to skip the process of lining up ya know?

The distinction here is we are now FORCED to have a "plus 1" meaning if I agree to trade my second GA with someone and choose to get in line first hypothetically two days before, what happens when my "plus 1" who I traded with (and thus cannot get in without me) shows up five minutes before the doors open. I'm just creating discussion.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

The distinction here is we are now FORCED to have a "plus 1" meaning if I agree to trade my second GA with someone and choose to get in line first hypothetically two days before, what happens when my "plus 1" who I traded with (and thus cannot get in without me) shows up five minutes before the doors open. I'm just creating discussion.
If it were up to me and that scenario played out I'd make the guy get to the back of the line haha. If he couldn't get in without you then you have a decision to make. Join him at the back of the line or go in without him haha. It's beyond rude to think he could show up like that and bypass the line. It's a weird sense of entitlement.

It would be no different if say it was the old ticket buying system where people waited in line for hours and hours sometimes days to buy tickets and 5 minutes before they go on sale your buddy shows up and joins you at the front of the line. BULLSHIT! haha

Again I feel that if people have committed to GA, regardless of what the circumstances are they should wait in line like the rest of us. I guess it's real important to discuss with your plus 1 what the plan is before hand.

Could you imagine being 51st in line and then suddenly you're 101st in line. That would be such bullshit no?

If it were up to me and that scenario played out I'd let the guy to get to the back of the line haha. It's beyond rude. It's a weird sense of entitlement.

It would be no different if say it was the old ticket buying system where people waited in line for hours and hours sometimes days to buy tickets and 5 minutes before they go on sale your buddy shows up and joins you at the front of the line. BULLSHIT! haha

Again I feel that if people have committed to GA, regardless of what the circumstances are they should wait in line like the rest of us.

I agree for the most part...and I'm just opening the topic for debate...but he can't get in at the back of the line. He has to go in as a plus 1. So do you let him in and THEN banish him appropriately?

I agree for the most part...and I'm just opening the topic for debate...but he can't get in at the back of the line. He has to go in as a plus 1. So do you let him in and THEN banish him appropriately?
That to me is where YOU would have to decide. Go to the back with him or enter without him leaving him out in the cold. BUT by showing up incredibly last minute he's screwed you over. In the real world we all know he's getting in with you at the front of the line but in my world it wouldn't happen haha. I just don't think it's fair to those who put in the time and I think it's incredibly rude and arrogant of people to think they can by pass that entire process as if they are above it.

Agreed again. I'm a believer that you put your time in at the line, period. I'm more than agreeable to people leaving to primp, potty, or even rest. Part of my point is the above-referenced is going to inevitably be a problem on this tour.

Agreed again. I'm a believer that you put your time in at the line, period. I'm more than agreeable to people leaving to primp, potty, or even rest. Part of my point is the above-referenced is going to inevitably be a problem on this tour.

I agree.It will cause a problems and it will cause animosity among some fans and to be honest rightfully so. Butyeah of course I have no issue with people leaving the lineup to go to the washroom or go eat or whatnot as long as someone stays in line.That's kinda how I view it. People can't just be leaving chairs and taking off for hours on end. Common sense needs to prevail in that situation. two people in line one guy should go and get McDonald's or something but both shouldn't be leaving to go sit at Boston Pizza for an hour or two haha.

No one. But reality dictates that it happens. Particularly in presale.

Of course.
And I get that people want to buy an extra ticket for a friend or family member or to trade for if you luck out for another show.

These paperless/credit card entry tickets definitely changed 'the game'.

If you decide to buy just for yourself and one of the shows you want to go to sells out, you will be someone else's plus 1.
If you buy more tickets than you need for a show, you will have a plus 1.

Question is what will turn out to be better? To have or to be a plus 1?

If I had a plus 1 that showed up late, I would move back in line.
If I was someone else's plus 1 I would search for someone who is planning to line up at the same time I was thinking about.
If the original credit card holder would suggest a time that I would not be willing to show up, I would look further.
But that's me.

If you have a plus 1 you would almost have to write some agreement on paper. " We hereby mutually agree to line up at ...... If the plus 1 is .... minutes late the credit card holder has the right ...etc."
Or I would just wait until the day of. And whoever was walking around looking for a ticket at the time that I decided to line up, I would sell my ticket to and they could immediately join the line with me.

Of course.
And I get that people want to buy an extra ticket for a friend or family member or to trade for if you luck out for another show.

These paperless/credit card entry tickets definitely changed 'the game'.

If you decide to buy just for yourself and one of the shows you want to go to sells out, you will be someone else's plus 1.
If you buy more tickets than you need for a show, you will have a plus 1.

Question is what will turn out to be better? To have or to be a plus 1?

If I had a plus 1 that showed up late, I would move back in line.
If I was a plus 1 I would make sure it was with someone who was planning to line up at the same time I was.

If you have a plus 1 you would almost have to write some agreement on paper. " We hereby mutually agree to line up at ...... If the plus 1 is .... minutes late the credit card holder has the right ...etc."
Or I would just wait until the day of. And whoever was walking around looking for a ticket at the time that I decided to line up, I would sell my ticket to and they could immediately join the line with me.

Well said!
"To have, or to be...that is the question." ~ Miringeltje

Timeless.

And I think in fairness if two people are meeting in line but appear an hour or two apart, I would graciously defer. Although if I was, for example, sixth in line and, for whatever reason, my plus 1 showed two hours after me and was 80th in line, I would feel obligated to move back...but I would not be a happy camper moving back to eighty. Perhaps this is where the double switch "plus 1" would come into effect (ie switching with a stranded plus 1 who is waiting for his/her principal). Now we are making progress!!!

Well said!
"To have, or to be...that is the question." ~ Miringeltje

Timeless.

And I think in fairness if two people are meeting in line but appear an hour or two apart, I would graciously defer. Although if I was, for example, sixth in line and, for whatever reason, my plus 1 showed two hours after me and was 80th in line, I would feel obligated to move back...but I would not be a happy camper moving back to eighty. Perhaps this is where the double switch "plus 1" would come into effect (ie switching with a stranded plus 1 who is waiting for his/her principal). Now we are making progress!!!

This is where I have a little bit of a soft heart. To me an hour or two isn't a big deal. It's when someone has been in line for 8-10 hours and their friend show up an hour or less before the doors open like it ain't no thang. Annoying. But I mean if you're there at 8:00am and your friend shows up at 9:00am I have no problem with that. 10:00am even is ok. After that it starts to get a little pushy though.

Good grief this again! Lol

Yeah..an hour or two is not a huge deal imo but then again I have a pretty laissez faire attitude towards the line. People get so worked up over it.. I understand why but with a stage like this there's going to be way more "choice spots".

Having said that.. If im someone's plus 1 I'm getting there *before they do, just to be on the safe side ;)

Sent from my ass crack

Good grief this again! Lol

Yeah..an hour or two is not a huge deal imo but then again I have a pretty laissez faire attitude towards the line. People get so worked up over it.. I understand why but with a stage like this there's going to be way more "choice spots".

Having said that.. If im someone's plus 1 I'm getting there *before they do, just to be on the safe side ;)

I think it comes up every tour because there are so many people who have no respect for the process or for the people who put in the time. It's no different than going to a big movie opening and waiting in line for hours only to have some knob show up ten minutes before the doors open and join his friends in line in front of you. It's on of those cases where if one person did it it's not really a big deal but if dozens of people do it then suddenly it is a big deal. In the case of a U2 concert it could actually make the difference between you being front row centre or front row way off to either side and when you put in 10-14 hours of wait time that's a piss off.

This happened to me in Edmonton. We arrived at the venue by 7:00am. Waited all day. There was a group of 4 people about 3 spots ahead of us who also waited all day. Just before 5:00pm a group of 8 people showed up and joined them in line. It was such bullshit. the arrogance to think they can walk up and cut in front of hundreds of people who had been in line for hours blew my mind.

The best thing about this stage design is that it's less important to sit outside all day.

In the past, the second place to fill up after the immediate stage area were the rails. There's a shit load of rails now. So you can pretty much show up at 7/8 and at worst you'll be somewhere between the main stage and the B stage and not very far from the middle walkway.

So good views for everyone.

I think it comes up every tour because there are so many people who have no respect for the process or for the people who put in the time. It's no different than going to a big movie opening and waiting in line for hours only to have some knob show up ten minutes before the doors open and join his friends in line in front of you. It's on of those cases where if one person did it it's not really a big deal but if dozens of people do it then suddenly it is a big deal. In the case of a U2 concert it could actually make the difference between you being front row centre or front row way off to either side and when you put in 10-14 hours of wait time that's a piss off.

This happened to me in Edmonton. We arrived at the venue by 7:00am. Waited all day. There was a group of 4 people about 3 spots ahead of us who also waited all day. Just before 5:00pm a group of 8 people showed up and joined them in line. It was such bullshit. the arrogance to think they can walk up and cut in front of hundreds of people who had been in line for hours blew my mind.

I'd have flipped shit. Seriously. Especially if we were talking first 100 in line.

The best thing about this stage design is that it's less important to sit outside all day.

In the past, the second place to fill up after the immediate stage area were the rails. There's a shit load of rails now. So you can pretty much show up at 7/8 and at worst you'll be somewhere between the main stage and the B stage and not very far from the middle walkway.

So good views for everyone.

I agree completely. There shouldn't be a lot of stress this time around, except for those who can't bear the fact of being front center rail, which apparently doesn't even exist. Btw headache you inbox is full. Can you post a link to that San Jose stage?

Back
Top Bottom