Ever meet someone famous at a U2 concert?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Actually NSW met Chris Hanson after inviting an online friend to a "U2 concert"

i4acdc73fef0d9.jpg

Went to the 360 show in New Jersey with my brother. Muse just finished the warm up and we went to get beers and use port-o-potty. My brother says to me that Salman Rushdie was in front of us. I said no way, he has that fatwa on him. He continued to say it was him. Finally I said "Hey Salman" and he turned around . I shook his hand and took his picture. My brother and I still don't know why Salman chose to use the public bathrooms. They had one in the celeberty pit he just came out of. We joked later that we should have took a picture of him standing in line to use the port-o-potty and sold it.

Sal Bass?

I met Bill Nighy in London for 360º. He was in the centre of the pit, where all the technical stuff was. I saw him on my way out and was probably one of the few who know who he was :D he loved the show !

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

My big one was George Stroumboulopoulos at a Vertigo show in Toronto. Took pictures, chatted for a few minutes, shook his hand, a really lovely guy. Last night, I stood 5 feet from Jared Leto, lol. Had no idea who he was till later, other than some dude with green hair.

Strombo was also at last night's show. He emerged from that tunnel shortly after the band did.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using U2 Interference mobile app

Strombo was also at last night's show. He emerged from that tunnel shortly after the band did.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using U2 Interference mobile app

Cool, I didn't see him there. I was standing by the Red Zone rail at centre ice (what a Canadian description!). We got there around 7:45 and thought we would stroll right in, as my daughter did the night before at the same time (I bought a seat for Monday). As it turned out, GA was lined up all the way past gate 4, and then once we did get scanned into the building, hundreds of us were held up in the lobby, with security blocking us till Bono could enter the floor. We didn't get let on to the floor till a few lines into The Miracle.

Cool, I didn't see him there. I was standing by the Red Zone rail at centre ice (what a Canadian description!). We got there around 7:45 and thought we would stroll right in, as my daughter did the night before at the same time (I bought a seat for Monday). As it turned out, GA was lined up all the way past gate 4, and then once we did get scanned into the building, hundreds of us were held up in the lobby, with security blocking us till Bono could enter the floor. We didn't get let on to the floor till a few lines into The Miracle.

we must have been right next to each other, I was leaning against the rail at the red zone in front of Jared Leto as well...

There was some other group of young men, they must have been a band of some sort judging by their clothes and an older manager type they were with. They were English judging by their accents but I didn't recognize any of their faces to know who they were. I was kind of embarrassed to ask one of them but they must have been some young band I don't know of...

haha yes, i was coming out of U2 Toronto 6 July and i met and shook hands with U2Brother Mark :)
Ill be honest them singing on stage was awesome. It made me super happy to see someone get thier dreams come true.

we must have been right next to each other, I was leaning against the rail at the red zone in front of Jared Leto as well...

There was some other group of young men, they must have been a band of some sort judging by their clothes and an older manager type they were with. They were English judging by their accents but I didn't recognize any of their faces to know who they were. I was kind of embarrassed to ask one of them but they must have been some young band I don't know of...

Dude, I didn't see you! Not that I would remember what you look like from the 5 seconds we met years ago, but still. I was standing near the RZ entrance.

I had no idea Oseary was back there, either. I'm clearly not the most observant person in the world.

Easy for you to say.

It's a Canadian thing. It rolls off the tongue, here.

I distinctly saw Lenny Kravitz at Popmart 2 in Giants Stadium in 1997.

I was at the Vertigo show that Condi Rice attended in 2005.

Bono gave a bunch of shout outs to various famous-for-DC types in 2009. Can't say I saw them though.

If you ever meet me in person, I'll tell you about my night with Moby.

Billy Corgan walked through the back of the general admission area in Chicago (May 2005). I happened to look back as he was walking by and said hi to him. He had the hood of a hoodie on over his head so was probably trying to sneak through.

Paul McG many times with the best at the Popmart announcement/performance in NYC
Tom Brady, Bridget Moynahan and John Kerry at Boston Vertigo
Cameron Diaz at Foxboro 360
Gavin Friday the other night in the Boston redzone

I saw some of their family members not too far from me in Chicago 2001. (Would never bother them, though)

Interesting story about Bon Jovi, though... My cousin used to do AV for rock bands and was touring with Bon Jovi in Japan a number of years back. My cousin had a seizure while working during their show and went to the ER. They found out he had a brain tumor and Bon Jovi were so cool to him. They paid to have his wife flown over and also to go back to the US when he was able. When he came home he found out it was brain cancer and they paid for all his care and living expenses during that time. He is cancer free now after they said he only had about 18 months to live! I wasn't a huge Bon Jovi fan before but I have to say they really stepped up for my cousin! It was a cool and decent thing for them to do.
That is very cool.

Billy Corgan walked through the back of the general admission area in Chicago (May 2005). I happened to look back as he was walking by and said hi to him. He had the hood of a hoodie on over his head so was probably trying to sneak through.
He just wanted to hear that snippet.

Paul McG. a couple of times.
Also met Valerie Bertanelli when Van Halen was in Toronto a few yrs back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was standing at the soundboard for Anaheim 2 in 2011. Security ushered through a whole line of celebrities in front of us, brushing by us. The only ones I remember are Sharon Stone and Cindy Crawford because they are beautiful... teeny, tiny, beautiful women. Like, SO tiny.

hqdefault.jpg

I *seen* dozens of celebrities at Southern California area shows going back to the late 70's but there's been only a handful notable for actually talking or interacting in some way. For U2, the winner has to be Woody Harrelson (who is apparently a huge U2 fan, having seen him in the pit at a couple Elevation and Vertigo tour shows as well). I've related this story on other U2 forums in the past so here it is again:

U2 - 1997 LA Coliseum Popmart tour. Since the ZooTV tour, I had been a member of U2's fanclub and got great tickets for the earlier San Diego and this LA Coliseum show. We had 4 seats in the 9th row right next to the walkway going to the B Stage this show. My wife, my brother and his friend went with me.

After opening band Rage Against The Machine's set, this couple and their little 6 or 7 year old girl take their seats behind us. When U2's set starts, my brother and his buddy leave to sneak all the way up to the front while everyone else is standing on top of their rickety folding metal seats to see the stage. The guy behind us climbs over his chair and takes my brother's seat standing next to me. Over the very loud sound, he asks me if it's alright to stand on my brother's empty seat and I tell him no problem unless he comes back. I'm really focused on the show so I don't even note who this guy is next to me.

Meanwhile, my wife is going nuts trying to talk in my ear over the band until I finally hear her say "that's Woody Harrelson." He was pretty cool and definitely into the show but things took a bad turn when he starts getting high while his Asian girlfriend or wife and their young pre-teen daughter look uncomfortable as hell left in their seats in the row behind us. My wife starts going ballistic about Woody getting fucked up while the kid is actually trying to uncomfortably go to sleep across a pair of chairs. At some point, some other people around us finally clue in to who he was and are staring at him instead of watching the show which clearly made him uncomfortable and they left just before the encores.

Non-U2 shows where I've *met* celebrities include:

Van Halen 1980 LA Sports Arena during the Women And Children First tour. I had tickets about 21st row floor. We were sitting right behind McKenzie Phillips and her date or boyfriend who looked like a sleezy drug dealer (which he probably was). I'd guess at the time co-star Valery Bertinelli was already dating Eddie. They kept doing lines of coke off her compact mirror outta her purse before the show started and my buddy was giving them shit about not sharing and ragging on the guy about coke fucking up people's faces (both had real bad acne). They wound up leaving before Van Halen even came on.

Van Halen - 1998 Hard Rock, Las Vegas. I didn't really think much of the July 4th Devore, CA show they played with new, 3rd singer Gary Cherone but on a spur of the moment ticket purchase a day before the show, a nabbed a 7th row seat to the 2nd show of a 2 night stand in the relatively small Hard Rock Theater.

So I do the drive to Vegas, wind up meeting a bunch of Van Halen fans from various on-line forums and that night, I have Valery Bertinelli, their son Wolfgang (who was about 7 or 8 at the time) and I guess his nanny sitting directly behind me. I had corresponded with Val a couple e-mails when she was on the Van Halen Mailing List and talked with her for a couple minutes before the show started. Very nice woman who remember congratulating me online about the birth of our son the year before. The show itself was great, far better than the Devore show and it was funny watching Wolfgang getting bored midway through the show and running around playing on the railing and running up and down the aisle with some kid buddy of his like they were in a empty movie theater.

The show itself was great, far better than the Devore show and it was funny watching Wolfgang getting bored midway through the show and running around playing on the railing and running up and down the aisle with some kid buddy of his like they were in a empty movie theater.

Ha! Little did he know at the time, right?

Back
Top Bottom