Europe leg. What would YOU change?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pepokiss

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Well, the first leg is almost over. It has evolved, there's been a few changes, the first part is awesome and the second one can be better.

What changes would you make?

I would:

- Make the 2nd song really rotational. (Almost) Never the same: Two Hearts Beat As One, Even Better Than The Real Thing (the original), Twilight, Get On Your Boots (yes, I said it), California, All Because Of You, Rejoice, 11 O'Clock Tick Tock... they have too many good songs for that spot.

- I Will Follow or Out Of Control, not both, they're practically the same song

- Song For Someone. ENOUGH. It's not working. Cedarwood Road ---> SBS would be perfect. Change it for All I Want Is You or Kite

- Invisible --> Discotheque / Crazy Tonight / Beautiful Day (remix). Any one of those (especially the BD remix, it has the same opening beat as the end of Invisible) would be awesome

- e-stage: add No Line On The Horizon. Please!!!

- Goodbye Hands/Pride. Make it EBW/Bullet/October/New Year's Day

- COBL. Please stop! Make it rest.

- Encore: THE CRYSTAL BALLROOM. That song belongs in the main stage with a full stage/screen performance.

I would make CALIFORNIA the closer, every night, but I don't know if that would work in Europe.

Dump Snooze for someone.

NEVER ever play Suck in a moment acousticly again.

Fuck the haters, play Volcano on a nightly basis.

Bring Miracle Drug back instead of COBL/BD.

- Make the 2nd song really rotational. (Almost) Never the same: Two Hearts Beat As One, Even Better Than The Real Thing (the original), Twilight, Get On Your Boots (yes, I said it), California, All Because Of You, Rejoice, 11 O'Clock Tick Tock... they have too many good songs for that spot.

NO WAY! :lol: STAHP. Song #2 should be Electric Co as a staple! Its to awesome to miss.

Next point : Don't care when or what, but they need to play A Sort Of Homecomming. Polled as one of diehard fan's top request this tour.

Make IWF slots for the rotational slot and I'm happy. Gloria, Two Hearts, or OOC.

I agree with Galeongirl : Awaaaaay with Song for Someone. Iris, Volcano, EBW are all much better.
And imho Beautifull Day is half arsed this tour. Get it off the setlist U2... People can live without it.

And last but not least: I would like to hear and see the debut of "This is where you can reach me now"

PS: Bono , stop talking over the streets intro.

I really want to see them meddle with those two 'cage' slots - throw in Zooropa, The Fly, Discotheque, but I doubt that this part of the show will change this year.

Unrealistic - have Acrobat snippet after Bullet to lead into Streets, then end main set with Pride and open encore with The Troubles.

That's the other thing...

THE TROUBLES ---> BULLET

Play EVERY BREAKING WAVE for real and end the show with that.

I Will Follow really needs a rest. At least rotate it, but for it to get a nightly spot on every tour since ... what, ZooTV? Oy.

Longer encore.

Would love them to try EBW as full band. Just give a shot, gentlemen.

What's weird is all of the songs in a permanent spot in the setlist that don't NEED to be played every night.

I will follow (should be rotated with OOC, and should be the 2nd song of the night)

The 4th song should be a rotating slot of upbeat, random songs. Doesn't necessarily even have to be an old song. Gloria, Electric Co, 2 Hearts, NYD, The Fly, Elevation, ABOY, NLOTH, The Refugee!

Invisible & Even better than the real thing- IMO, the remixed inside the screen mini set could offer so much more. Crystal Ballroom, Discotheque, Mofo, The Fly, Zoo Station, Crazy Tonight, Magnificent

Mysterious Ways - Gets the crowd going, for sure, doesn't need played every night though.

2 Rotating E Stage numbers- The only thing I'd suggest is to keep "When Love Comes to Town" in the rotation. People loved the song before BB King passed away, and they'll still love it after he's gone. Also, NLOTH begs for this spot.

Ordinary Love is a snoozer, and Ordinary Love into piano version of EBW the low point of the concert, IMO.

Play EBW full band, or not at all. Nobody wants to hear that shit.

Rotate Pride and NYD. Both are greatest hits, both kind of serve the same purpose. Neither one is more essential than the other.

Create a spot within the encore where "California" and "Volcano" are rotated. Maybe after Beautiful Day, before Streets.

AND PLAY SOME FUCKING ZOOROPA AND POP!!!!!

Last edited:
One think I'd like to see is I Will Follow moved to e-stage rotation and that slot used for another early rock song. Nothing wrong with having Electric Co and Gloria on the same night. In an ideal world that would take the place of Song for Someone but I can't see them dropping their latest single.

- A SORT OF HOMECOMING, anywhere, anyhow.

- Keep the Electric Co./Out Of Control rotation, and make I Will Follow rotate with Gloria. During the more extended residencies, throw 11 O'clock Tick Tock and a couple of other rarities into the mix (Two Hearts? Twilight?).

- Move Song For Someone to follow Iris rather than Cedarwood Road.

- Rotate SBS with NYD and Please.

- UTEOTW is incredible this tour. However, one of the things I love most about its live history are the amazing segues and I miss that. There are so many options here, it's not funny.

- Actually play The Fly live!

- Rotate EBTTRT/MW to make one rotational slot and free up another for more rotations.

- Play EBW in its proper full band form. That could go well in the encore. It's weird that no new songs have appeared in the encore. The last time the encore did not regularly contain at least one new song was 1985!

- Get rid of the clunky segues into Bullet. EBW didn't work, and COBL's an even worse transition. The song needs a new home.

- While we're at it, get rid of that contrived Bullet/Hands/Pride transition. One of the worst things I've ever heard U2 do, and it will go down like a lead balloon in Europe. Follow Bullet instead with an RTSS/One Step Closer/Troubles rotation like they seemed to be rehearsing in Vancouver.

- Don't play the Hawking video before COBL if you're going to play COBL mid-set. That's just weird. Use the video to open the encore as intended or don't use it.

- Bad should either be a nightly fixture or rotate with AIWIY.

- NO SPEECH BEFORE STREETS. Give it afterwards. It makes no difference whether it's before or after. Return to having a seamless segue into Streets.

- Find a decent closer, for the love of god.

- Pop exists, guys, and it has good songs.

- NO SPEECH BEFORE STREETS. Give it afterwards. It makes no difference whether it's before or after. Return to having a seamless segue into Streets.

Definitely these.

The momentum of the show is killed when Bono talks and then the Mother & Child snippet...and then Streets starts and we're off the ground again. Perhaps they should move the Mother & Child snippet till after streets and lead it into ISHFWLF/One/"40"

Ive been thinking about this myself, i wonder if they will change anything at all. New years day normally gets more outings in europe. Maybe the bullet/hands snippet will get dropped. Im off to london 1&6(got tickets for 5 but not sure whether to go)

Everything. EVERY-THING! EVERYTHING!

Akin to the Vertigo Tour intro.

More from the ZOOTV/Pop area: Gone/Mofo/Acrobat/Zoostation/The Fly. Gives a more European taste. Drop Still haven't found, With or without you, COBL, Vertigo,.
Throw a new song in and play EBW with full band.

Please play Tomorrow/Mofo/Iris all together!

Still wanting to hear Two hearts, Drowning man and Surrender once again.

To hear October again is a great step.

I would love if they rotated the intermission videos nightly, instead of one replacing another after a set of shows. I know there's only been three, but I have a feeling there will be one or two more.

Am I the only one who doesn't have a problem with them playing two songs inside the screen? I hope Invisible remains where it is, they can mess with the rest of the second set if they want to.

Hawking video should go back to the encore.

I am just curious. All of you people who want to change things. Have you seen the show in person yet or are you basing this on set list and youtube videos ?
I read a lot of set list complaints before I went to the show for Boton 1&2. After seeing it live in person those complaints could not have been further from reality. I loved the shows.

I'd bin EBW, Iris, Volcano Invisible & COBL - they are better on the album than live.
I'd replace w The Fly, NYD, One Tree Hill and either MOFO, Discotheque or Zoo station.
Electric co is better than OOC
Elevation is better than Volcano
Make the intermission Zooropa
October into NYD is always a good transition
Vertigo is in the wrong place - move to the encore to replace COBL

Cant wait for London!

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

i would change probably half of the setlist. elevation, stuck, volcano, song for someone and perhaps a few others would never ever get played again.

i saw they played stuck and volcano back to back yesterday. i had a good LOL about that. to think people actually pay to hear shit like that boggles the mind.

and perhaps the most important thing, i'd have bono not talk at all. nothing. just sing.

I think everything is fine until Intermission. I like The Fly Mix with these visuals better than The Wanderer.

EBTTRT/MW lost almost all their magic...
Discotheque/Chrystal Ballroom in Rotation with Invisible, but on mainstage, no in-screen performance please.

New Year's Day needs to appear at some point, COBL out, full band Every Breaking Wave in.... Stop playing Found as a closer

Play California on the mainstage.

I would love to hear Gone, Mofo and Last night on Earth from PoP

Zooropa, Daddy's gonna pay for your crashed car and Dirty Day from Zooropa.

They should play NYD and Kite instead of SBS and/or MW imo.

Would die to hear A sort of homecoming or Acrobat.

Something else like Original of the Species from Bomb would be cool too.

Who's gonna ride, The Fly and Ultraviolet, Zoo station are other great choices from AB instead of MW. Love is Blindness would be an excellent closer.

Hoping they dont miss out on playing Bad in Stockholm though!

I think COBL would be a good one for rotating. It's a fine song and all that, but it would be a great opportunity to rotate in newer uptempo songs. Also, rotating it would make COBL more exciting when they do play it.

- Zooropa. That song NEEDS playing on this leg with that screen.
- Lemon's less likely though more fitting with the theme of the tour. Would be great in the second act.
- no entitled dummies showing up a day in advance and thinking they can boss the rest of us around without putting in the time. :)
-drop the long speeches. I thought Mullen had told Bono off for this back on vertigo?
- play all of SOI during the course of the gig, not in sequence obviously just all of the songs, they deserve it. Every breaking wave needs a proper airing too.
- keep sweetest thing.
- again, ZOOROPA.

Haha .. shouldn't those change requests be at least 1% realistic?

I would certainly love to hear Mofo, Gone, Please, Love is Blindness, Zooropa, Lemon etc.

But I don't think we hear one of those, maybe I am wrong.

One important change would be to at least rotate COBL if not completely scratch it.

Piano EBW got its spot in Leg 1, now it's time to replace it.

New Year's Day, The Unforgettable Fire, Running To Stand Still would be nice additions.

Horses or Trying To Throw.. would be nice too

I am just curious. All of you people who want to change things. Have you seen the show in person yet or are you basing this on set list and youtube videos ?
I read a lot of set list complaints before I went to the show for Boton 1&2. After seeing it live in person those complaints could not have been further from reality. I loved the shows.

Its not about complaining, this is more about making a suggestion for setlist changes. Just for fun, because we can dream right?

I haven't seen the show. But that doesn't stop me from wanting to see some changes. Even though its not gonna happen.

That said : Its not that I'm not gonna enjoy the show if they play songs I dislike.. Its just that everyone rather hears their own faves right?

I saw 8 of the first 9 shows.
I never got bored of the first part, but it could be better.
The second part SHOULD be better.
The encore is still a mess

I would probably add shit tons of Zooropa/POP era songs. Discotheque and Zooropa can work as "inside the screen" thing. They can play Stay and SATS and all for acoustic sets. I also want some unpopular songs like Do you feel loved or Last Night on Earth to be played again with improved visuals.I may also like Dirty Day and what not. COBL and all of those "dad-rocky" songs needs to go. even Streets. Just ditch them and play something interesting. Like Sort of Homecoming. 4th of July. Love is Blindness. So Cruel or the Fly.
Add some SOI materials if they can, like Sleep like a baby tonite. or more Trouble. or even This is where you can reach me. just no more SFS.

Finally, I would love if they road-test some SOE materials, cant even wait to hear them!!!!

Last edited:

- Keep the Electric Co./Out Of Control rotation, and make I Will Follow rotate with Gloria. During the more extended residencies, throw 11 O'clock Tick Tock and a couple of other rarities into the mix (Two Hearts? Twilight?).

- Move Song For Someone to follow Iris rather than Cedarwood Road.

- Rotate SBS with NYD and Please.

- UTEOTW is incredible this tour. However, one of the things I love most about its live history are the amazing segues and I miss that. There are so many options here, it's not funny.

- Actually play The Fly live!

- Rotate EBTTRT/MW to make one rotational slot and free up another for more rotations.

- Play EBW in its proper full band form. That could go well in the encore. It's weird that no new songs have appeared in the encore. The last time the encore did not regularly contain at least one new song was 1985!

- Get rid of the clunky segues into Bullet. EBW didn't work, and COBL's an even worse transition. The song needs a new home.

- While we're at it, get rid of that contrived Bullet/Hands/Pride transition. One of the worst things I've ever heard U2 do, and it will go down like a lead balloon in Europe. Follow Bullet instead with an RTSS/One Step Closer/Troubles rotation like they seemed to be rehearsing in Vancouver.

- Don't play the Hawking video before COBL if you're going to play COBL mid-set. That's just weird. Use the video to open the encore as intended or don't use it.

- Bad should either be a nightly fixture or rotate with AIWIY.

- Find a decent closer, for the love of god.

All of this!

I especially agree regarding the Bullet/Hands/Pride sequence. I definitely agree with you about it being contrived and it seemed thrown together at the last minute as well. Like you mentioned, it was certainly nowhere near the Vancouver rehearsals.

RTSS and OSC both would sound great going into Pride.

I also especially like your suggestion regarding combining MW and EBTTRT into one rotational slot and making another rotational slot after that.

Having MW after Invisible would be a perfect opportunity to bring back the slide solo. Use that little break before it to get Larry and Adam out of the screen and have Edge play it as he's making his way out to the E stage.

I'd suggest California and full band Wild Horses for the next rotational slot, depending on what they're planning on doing next on the E Stage.

As much as I dislike the "Hands" bit, it is short enough not to really take anything away from the show.

On the other hand, One is a complete mess!

With the exception of a good introduction in Vancouver, the performances have been terrible this tour. I have no particular issue with the karaoke, I have an issue with the fact that, when Bono is singing along, those parts, are completely mailed in.

He lets the crowd do some of Still Haven't Found too, but he completely belts out his parts. I think that is sounding great this tour!!

I saw the show in person 4 times in Boston, doing a 5th later today in NYC and I can honestly say that One, which I saw 3 times, is the only thing that stands out as weak.

ONE desperately needs a trip to the bench. The encore could stand to be longer anyways: One night could do SHF/Stand by Me (Toronto style) and the next night could be Bad and 40 (full songs, not snippet). AIWIY could do the job as well. I would even take Walk On (Elevation style) over One the way it's been played this tour.

I'm not criticizing too much, the shows have been unbelievable good. It's not like on 360 2009 when I felt a lot lacking and thought most of it was due to the set list.

Just some ideas on how to improve what is already a great show.

Songs for them to consider:

Twilight
Promenade
ASOH
The Fly
So Cruel
MOFO
Gone
Dirty Day
WILATW
EBW -full band
Bad at least every other show
OTH - rarely but throw it in once every few shows.

Back
Top Bottom