Europe leg. What would YOU change?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Another (easily doable) change I would love to see is, instead of playing I Will Follow regularly, rotate two of the following songs in that spot and the spot before Vertigo:

• I Will Follow
  • The Electric Co.
  • Out of Control
  • 11 o' Clock Tick Tock
  • Gloria
  • Twilight
  • Two Hearts Beat As One
  • Like A Song
  • Wire
The energy of early U2 is just unmatchable. At the four shows I went to they played either The Electric Co. or Out of Control, and the crowd response was amazing. And I'm pretty sure a good portion of those people did not recognize these songs, but reacted purely to the fantastic performances.

its weird ive found myself absolutely loving every breaking wave now!
prefer it stripped back :reject: and the way he sings it now!
even the octave lower in the bridge part sounds good!
think he pushed himself too much in the studio for this track (but when hasnt he) and the first few performances when he sang it like the studio version he really struggled

Totally ridiculous setlist proposition....
01 The Miracle
02 Gloria/2 Hearts/Electric Co./11 O Clock/Surrender
03 Volcano/Reach/California
04 IWF/OOC/Stories For Boy
05 Mofo
06 Iris
07 SFS
08 Cedarwood Road
09 Please/SBS
10 Wolves
11 End Of The World
-intermission-
12 Invisible
-"there is no them" segue
13 COBL
14 Vertigo
15 MW/Real Thing/Discotheque/TCB
16 Wild Horses/Tryin To Throw Your Arms/Sweetest Thing/Desire/Angel Of Harlem
17 All I Want Is You/Moment Of Surrender/Bad
18 Bullet The Blue Sky
19 Running To Stand Still/One Step Closer
20 October
21 Every Breaking Wave
22 New Year's Day/Pride
Encore
23 With Or Without You
24 The Troubles/Sleep Like A Baby Tonight
25 Streets
26 '40'

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I'd just be happy if they opened up a few more rotation spots in the setlist. The first set does flow perfectly, but I'd like to see them mix that up a bit more in cities where they're doing more than two shows.

In terms of songs, I could come up with about 30 I'd like to hear. But, if Edge and Adam can't get their favourite songs on the set list, what hope do I have?

Surprised by the lack of calls for a change in opener. Much like Breathe for the 1st leg of 360, Miracle is far from a spectacular opener, in my opinion.

Perhaps it's just me, but I always prefer a spectacular opening to a show where the music's already kicking etc. when the band enter the stage. Elevation Remix/EBTTRT on 360 as recent examples. Never a fan of the traditional walk on, everyone cheers, then the song starts. It's not powerful and lacks that wow factor.

Just my two cents.

yeah I agree now you mention it, even an extended intro to The Miracle that plays as they take to the stage would suffice I reckon if they insist on keeping it as the opener.

Surprised by the lack of calls for a change in opener. Much like Breathe for the 1st leg of 360, Miracle is far from a spectacular opener, in my opinion.

Miracle is not their greatest opener but not even close as poor of an opener that was Breathe. I think the intro guitar when the lights go out on Miracle sort of works when that first hits. Loses momentum from there. But still decent opening, just not an awesome one like Streets, Mofo or Zoo Station were.

Perhaps it's just me, but I always prefer a spectacular opening to a show where the music's already kicking etc. when the band enter the stage. Elevation Remix/EBTTRT on 360 as recent examples. Never a fan of the traditional walk on, everyone cheers, then the song starts. It's not powerful and lacks that wow factor.

Just my two cents.

Not sure if you've seen them yet this tour but somehow it really works, Edge's opening riff just really kicks it all off nicely.... Not sure if anyone else noticed but man they are playing loud and the sound is perfect.

Shitcan that awful version of Sunday Bloody Sunday.

Dump Invisible and slot in either The Fly, Lemon or even Discotheque in that spot.

Stop attaching that Paul Simon tune to Streets. Preface Streets with something that works better like Bad, AIWIY, Gone, Kite, One Tree Hill or Moment Of Surrender.

Otherwise, I'm pretty good with the basic skeleton of the set this tour. I really like the choices they've gone with for the 2nd song slot except the otherwise fantastic Two Hearts which would work much better on the B stage slot.

Keep Miracle as the opener. It just works.

Rotate all of the pre-Iris songs, not just the second song.

Everything from Iris through Invisible stays exactly as is. It works, and is as good a stretch as U2 has ever done live, as every song connects directly to the one prior and the one after. It's fucking brilliant.

Rotate Mysterious Ways with Discotheque. The entire post Invisible through Every Breaking Wave slot should be open to rotation.

Bullet into Pride works incredibly well... although I'm not sure about the Hands interlude in other parts of the world.

Open the encore with Crystal Ballroom/Miss You. Then do City of Blinding Lights, and segue City straight into Streets. Fuck Paul Simon.

I have no problem at all with the One sing along, but the show should end with 40 and the band walking the distance of the stage and exciting out the back.

If they want to play only 6 new songs per night, replace weaker tracks like Miracle, Cedarwood and Single for No one for better ones - Soldier, Volcano and California

I know, but the song is just not good enough. If they play more songs from the new album I don´t have problem with it. But I can´t stand it takes the place for other new songs. It´s basically a campfire song violently rearranged for the purpose of the album, so it really doesn´t work too much. At the best it sounds like Crumbs rewrite.

There are better songs on the album and better songs for live performance.

I'd definitely replace the Streets intro. That Halelujah snippet last tour was awesome, but other than that, why does it even need a snippet? Red lights, organ, click clacks, guitar. That's all it needs.

I know, but the song is just not good enough. If they play more songs from the new album I don´t have problem with it. But I can´t stand it takes the place for other new songs. It´s basically a campfire song violently rearranged for the purpose of the album, so it really doesn´t work too much. At the best it sounds like Crumbs rewrite.

There are better songs on the album and better songs for live performance.

lolz

You always find something new

I wish u2 would take all their shit songs like crumbs and rewrite them into good ones. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I'd definitely replace the Streets intro. That Halelujah snippet last tour was awesome, but other than that, why does it even need a snippet? Red lights, organ, click clacks, guitar. That's all it needs.

:up:
Hallelujah, Amazing Grace, Mothers of The Disappeared, etc were all great. Hallelujah was the best of the bunch, though.
The biggest problem with Streets this tour is the fact that it's sandwiched by lengthy speeches. It needs to be played flowing with the show.
I think a way they could have it flow with the show is if they segued the outro of Beautiful Day into Streets. I Remember You would be pretty cool; it would be sort of full circle since the show opens with The Miracle.

Where's this earlier version you speak of? Can you post a link?

It was mentioned during the interview with the band when the album was released. You can also hear it easily in the second disc version and some of the early acoustic performances.

:up:
Hallelujah, Amazing Grace, Mothers of The Disappeared, etc were all great. Hallelujah was the best of the bunch, though.
The biggest problem with Streets this tour is the fact that it's sandwiched by lengthy speeches. It needs to be played flowing with the show.
I think a way they could have it flow with the show is if they segued the outro of Beautiful Day into Streets. I Remember You would be pretty cool; it would be sort of full circle since the show opens with The Miracle.

Amazing Grace in the key Bono wasn´t able to sing was awkward, Hallelujah is so downgrade by Pop Idol contests that I cannot listen to it anymore. But any of those weren´t as atrocious as that Paul Simon song with its harmony that goes against the harmony of the beginning of Streets which creates an unbelievable cacaphony that completely devastates the epic and transcendental moment of that intro.

The best solution were the Running - Streets or Please - Streets segues. Bad - All I Want is You into Streets was also haunting.

It was mentioned during the interview with the band when the album was released. You can also hear it easily in the second disc version and some of the early acoustic performances.

Like I said, link?

The second disc was rearranged and recorded post album version(not the other way around), but really stellar try :)

Hoping they test run an SOE song or 2. That will make setlist parties worth paying attention. How orgasmic would it be to hear what could be a future classic played for the first time if you were there. Hoping we don't get a North Staresque track though

Hoping they test run an SOE song or 2. That will make setlist parties worth paying attention. How orgasmic would it be to hear what could be a future classic played for the first time if you were there. Hoping we don't get a North Staresque track though

I was thinking to name North Star until I read the last sentence of your post :)

Anyway, I love the song. If it is rearranged like Every Breaking Way, we can have another classic.

But you haven't shown us how it was composed. So are you just full of shit? Or do you have a link?

It was said by Edge it was composed as an acoustic number with Edge arpeggiating chords and Bono harming some melody. Sorry, I don´t have a link. I don´t collect U2 interviews and I don´t write down their quotes to my notebook:)

It was said by Edge it was composed as an acoustic number with Edge arpeggiating chords and Bono harming some melody. Sorry, I don´t have a link. I don´t collect U2 interviews and I don´t write down their quotes to my notebook:)

Composing on an acoustic does not equal folk or "campfire" song. I'm hoping for your sake your band mates don't post here.

Back
Top Bottom