Earplugs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use those Etymotics as well and they're fantastic. They reduce volume equally throughout all frequencies.

I always at least bring ear plugs and typically wear them throughout an opening act.

In and out during the main band - usually the mix on the opening act sucks.

That said - I had tinnitus for a while and actually was able to get rid of it with acupuncture. Don't ask how because I really just don't know.

That said - tinnitus can come at any point in time and no one is immune. Could be a plane, could be one guitar note, and once you get it, it really sucks.

Mine distinctly came from going to a U2 show and a NIN show in the same week at MSG - have no idea what year that was...

I always at least bring ear plugs and typically wear them throughout an opening act.

In and out during the main band - usually the mix on the opening act sucks.

That said - I had tinnitus for a while and actually was able to get rid of it with acupuncture. Don't ask how because I really just don't know.

That said - tinnitus can come at any point in time and no one is immune. Could be a plane, could be one guitar note, and once you get it, it really sucks.

Mine distinctly came from going to a U2 show and a NIN show in the same week at MSG - have no idea what year that was...

Because curiosity killed the cat.... Hmm, maybe not the same week? This site lists five NIN shows at MSG:

1. 1994-12-09
  2. 1994-12-08
  3. 2000-05-09
  4. 2005-11-03
  5. 2005-09-09
Nearest to a U2 gig would be show 4 on Nov 3 2005 - a mere three weeks after U2's five night stand in October (7-14), and less than three weeks before the two-night return to MSG in November (21-22).

Does that fit? U2 was not on tour in the US in the vicinity of the other NIN dates at MSG....

The opening four songs are brutally loud. One couple in the cheap seats (older couple with an excited woman who had bought a program) actually left the show during The Electric Co. on Night #2 exactly for that reason. They walked down the stairs and never returned.

Possibly the loudest show I've ever been to although Metallica in '96 will always be up there. I don't necessarily agree that the speakers give added clarity...a lot of Bono's snippets/musings are barely intelligible compared to past tours and the ringing in those first four songs was too much. It eases up quite a bit as nothing in the rest of the show is as heavy as that opening mini-set.

I have mild tinnitus, not from loud music so far as I'm aware, just a little 'PING' that will then gradually fade out over a period of time and go away until the next time. Although once or twice I've woken up in the middle of the night with it; wine may not help.

This has nothing to do with earplugs (although I do wear them, for wholly unrelated reasons) at live shows so, carry on.

The opening four songs are brutally loud. One couple in the cheap seats (older couple with an excited woman who had bought a program) actually left the show during The Electric Co. on Night #2 exactly for that reason. They walked down the stairs and never returned.

See Bono, this is why you needed the second night acoustic set. Turn down your letricos :angry:

After being exposed to Dashboard Confessional on the first night in Toronto of Vertigo I went out and bought earplugs for the next show, I haven't stopped wearing them at shows since.

I just use the basic orange sponge ones, they seem to do the trick for me. I actually find it sounds better with earplugs, there is less distortion and everything sounds more clear if that makes any sense.

I just use the basic orange sponge ones, they seem to do the trick for me. I actually find it sounds better with earplugs, there is less distortion and everything sounds more clear if that makes any sense.

This. I've been fine with the foam ones for years (Oh shit, I mean decades.:angry: )

I'm going to order the ER-20s, though. Why not.

The cone shaped foam ones have been doing their job for me since 2009, but I figured I'll try these newer ones to see if they sound better. Probably will test them on an evening when my neighbours are out so I can put the music ridiculously loud for a bit to wear both and check differences.

I also have tinnitus - I definitely got mine from going to too many loud gigs in my teens and twenties. Its a real bummer. I also play in a band which does not help. I use in-ear monitors with my band but use ACS custom pro 17 plugs when I go to a gig. They are not cheap but they are fantastic. Without plugs my gig going days would be over.

People's susceptibility to tinnitus is variable but if someone gets ringing in the ears after a gig, they are at risk of permanent tinnitus & should wear plugs

Thankfully, the only time I've had ringing in my ears after an event was at this club about 7-8 years ago where it was the loudest fricking music I'd ever heard. It was intolerable.

Fucking 80s dance nights, man. Cyndi Lauper does not need to be that loud.

Gaslight Anthem at 930 club in DC. Loudest show ever. The bass drum shook my brain. And the one time I forgot earplugs

It's loud but it's easily the best sounding arena show I've ever been to. Both shows in Vancouver sounded great, the second night was even better. I know a lot of people who use earplugs for shows because they say it sounds better because they just kill the high end but the high end wasn't even remotely an issue at the two shows I saw. Not like the Vertigo tour that's for sure. I'm not a fan of wearing them and I don't find the shows to be that crazy loud that you need earplugs. Maybe if I was going to 50 shows a year but I'm not so....

Loudest show I've ever been to was Soul Asylum at Macewan Ballroom in Calgary in November 1993. Fuck it was loud but so so so awesome.

Absolutely did not expereince this at all. They soudn was fanatsic for me in Vancouver and not unbearably loud. My brother who was with me and who has complained about the sound at all three U2 shows he's seen with me(Elevation, Vertigo, 360) said during that opening set of songs that it was easily the best sounding show he's heard in an arena as well and I agree with him.

Can I ask how you know that's why they left?

I think it depends on the individual ears obviously.

For me the 360 tour was by far the worst for ringing. It was due to the excessive amounts of treble in the mix (who was mixing that tour anyway? Terrible job IMO...)

This tour is much better, pretty close to Elevation in fact. Not as loud as Vertigo, or at least my ears didn't ring as much. Might also depend on the venue. But it's always a good idea to have a pair with you in case you feel it's loud.

I thought it was really loud for utteow. Other than that didn't bother me or think it was that loud.

I will second the Dinosaur Jr comment. By far the loudest shows I have seen. I love Dino Jr and almost walked out it was brutally loud. Queens of the stone age is borderline painful as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using U2 Interference mobile app

I've seen the likes of Dinosaur Jr, My Bloody Valentine, and A Place to Bury Strangers, and they are all devastatingly loud. But I'm pretty sure the loudest show I've ever seen was Cairo Knife Fight a few years ago, back when they still had Aaron Tokona of Weta on guitar. It was in a tiny bandroom in Melbourne that holds about 200 people, but Tokona's rig was massive, sufficient for a venue more than ten times that capacity.

It was so loud that I felt as if I weren't wearing my plugs. My ears were still ringing the next day.

Because curiosity killed the cat.... Hmm, maybe not the same week? This site lists five NIN shows at MSG:

1. 1994-12-09
  2. 1994-12-08
  3. 2000-05-09
  4. 2005-11-03
  5. 2005-09-09
Nearest to a U2 gig would be show 4 on Nov 3 2005 - a mere three weeks after U2's five night stand in October (7-14), and less than three weeks before the two-night return to MSG in November (21-22).

Does that fit? U2 was not on tour in the US in the vicinity of the other NIN dates at MSG....

Hmmm, perhaps I stand corrected. Clearly my memory has gone with my hearing. I know I saw NIN and U2 at MSG around the same time that year but there has to be a third band in the mix because I do remember two shows, one week, tinnitus...

Hmmm, perhaps I stand corrected. Clearly my memory has gone with my hearing. I know I saw NIN and U2 at MSG around the same time that year but there has to be a third band in the mix because I do remember two shows, one week, tinnitus...

Paul McCartney 10/1/05?
Cream 10/24-26/05?
Bon Jovi 11/28/05?

Back
Top Bottom