BREAKING: Shooting and Explosions in Paris

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
CTyqbXrWwAAC-1i.jpg

12132727_688789207923818_508804485_n.jpg

He's the de facto bandleader on stage, you think they're magically supposed to all know when to stop/move along?

The shit people gripe about here is mystifying.

He's the de facto bandleader on stage, you think they're magically supposed to all know when to stop/move along?

Was just thinking the same thing.....the fact the band even stuck around let alone go near the venue shows more about them as people than anything else.....at the end of
It all we are all human and this has hurt everyone who has any ounce of humanity

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I was walking down past Paris way
I walked through the streets in the middle of the day.
I knew that summer had arrived
when I saw your eyes,
when I see you.
Well I hope that it was good for me
if I was good for you then it was good for me and
love, love will tear us apart, again.

That DVD is incredible, but the performance of With or Without You is out of this world.

:heart::heart::heart:

taking basic safety precautions is not "letting them win."

Nonsense. There are hundreds of thousands of live music venues worldwide hosting millions of shows a year. You think every show should have wands and metal detectors and the like because one of those millions was attacked? I realise emotions are still raw, but that's not rational, that's completely disproportionate. The likelihood of being a victim of any sort of violence at a gig is low, and most of the violence you will experience is the sort of low-level drunken violence we already employ bouncers to stop.

It would be especially absurd to have that sort of thing at small venues. I don't think I've ever even seen a bag check at Aussie venues with a capacity of 500 or less, and even those up to a few thousand capacity only have a cursory bag check. I see no reason to change in light of one horrid aberration.

Every event you go to hear you get at the very least wanded. Be it a show at MSG, a baseball game at CitiField, or a smaller venue like Irving Plaza. For the life of me I don't understand why this wouldn't be standard operating procedure everywhere. It should be.

I took Amtrak for 10 years or more from Boston to NYC, back and forth. Not once has any bag been checked or a person searched going in or off. That still boggles my mind.

And I've been to plenty of events in Boston, NYC, and other cities where the security was present, but it's still easy to get stuff by them if you really wanted.

However, these men didn't sneak in and wait to strike. They ran in with guns, so security measures to that end don't stop evil like that. Most security are just guys and girls with t-shirts that can carry someone out. They have cops around, but 95% of the people working there are just you and me. They can't stop that.

Also the smaller venues where a lot of us have seen shows, either music, your friend's stand up act, improv... if you live in NYC or LA you've been to these small places... so the level of security is almost zero. A 1500 seat place, maybe a little more, but not always.

Only the airport is always doing it as far as I can tell and things still get by.

Just saying, I agree but that's not what happened here.

Last edited:
Expanding on what Axver and Clerks said... the sad thing is that you can't predict where or when these types of things will happen. Even if the practicality of added security measures at shows wasn't an issue, where do we draw the line? Should other large gathering spots have more security as well? Theaters? Schools? Subways and transit systems? Some of them already have various security mechanisms and I'm all for adding anything that helps and is reasonable. But if someone is going to try and murder and maim as many people as he/she can, then they're going to try and find some way to do it.

In the end, all we can do is try to live our lives and hope that there are much more good people out there that are willing to lend a hand when these things do happen.

we already have barricades/barriers in place outside schools when France is on alert, been the case for a while, and there will be police outside now too... horrid times :(

The thing is these types of attacks against so-called "soft targets" have been predicted by terrorism analysts for a while. It's just impossible to guard every single restaurant or concert venue or other place where people gather and these types of attacks are easy and cheap to carry out. Look at what happened in Mumbai in 2008.

The thing is these types of attacks against so-called "soft targets" have been predicted by terrorism analysts for a while. It's just impossible to guard every single restaurant or concert venue or other place where people gather and these types of attacks are easy and cheap to carry out. Look at what happened in Mumbai in 2008.

Totally agree, there is literally no way of guarding every restaurant, small
Concert venue or bar it's such a scary time to live in the world but we must carry on

Sorry, I really wasn't trying to be a dick, it just seemed odd to me. But you're right, it makes sense that given their group dynamic, he would sort of be in charge of that.

It really does say a lot about them as people. Some people on Facebook are saying things like "typical U2, have to have their photo op, can't pass up a chance for self promotion even in these circumstances". Absolutely pathetic; I don't even know what to say to that. If they knew ANYTHING about this band at all...

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interferencek

There is alot more to this band than just a photo op. I can see where people may think that, but I go back to Bono's interview today talking about how these victims at Bataclan were just there to see a band. They were just fans of music. When U2 played MSG only six weeks after 9/11, there were many of us there who may have gone to the venue because of U2 but who left with so much more. You have no idea what a simple gesture can do towards healing people. For those of us living in NYC at the time, just having the band there to say, "We are not afraid," reinforced our own beliefs that we weren't afraid and that music could heal. Sorry, getting sentimental, I know, but there will always be people who question why a band like U2 does what they do. It's just that I've seen this band under extraordinary circumstances, and I know how important that was to help me heal. They will be back in Paris, they will play those shows, and they'll do it not for the money they receive but for the fans they help.

??? They all looked up at each other and he said "ok." Weird comment.

I agree and already said its weird, I shouldn't have posted that, I can't figure out how to delete that post from my phone. I am sorry, it was a case of posting before thinking, and I'll take it down as soon as I get to my computer.

Nonsense. There are hundreds of thousands of live music venues worldwide hosting millions of shows a year. You think every show should have wands and metal detectors and the like because one of those millions was attacked? I realise emotions are still raw, but that's not rational, that's completely disproportionate. The likelihood of being a victim of any sort of violence at a gig is low, and most of the violence you will experience is the sort of low-level drunken violence we already employ bouncers to stop.

It would be especially absurd to have that sort of thing at small venues. I don't think I've ever even seen a bag check at Aussie venues with a capacity of 500 or less, and even those up to a few thousand capacity only have a cursory bag check. I see no reason to change in light of one horrid aberration.

I was not referring to every small club, bar and restaurant. Obviously that would be impossible.

I took Amtrak for 10 years or more from Boston to NYC, back and forth. Not once has any bag been checked or a person searched going in or off. That still boggles my mind.

And I've been to plenty of events in Boston, NYC, and other cities where the security was present, but it's still easy to get stuff by them if you really wanted.

However, these men didn't sneak in and wait to strike. They ran in with guns, so security measures to that end don't stop evil like that. Most security are just guys and girls with t-shirts that can carry someone out. They have cops around, but 95% of the people working there are just you and me. They can't stop that.

Also the smaller venues where a lot of us have seen shows, either music, your friend's stand up act, improv... if you live in NYC or LA you've been to these small places... so the level of security is almost zero. A 1500 seat place, maybe a little more, but not always.

Only the airport is always doing it as far as I can tell and things still get by.

Just saying, I agree but that's not what happened here.

And the 4/5 train is a disaster waiting to happen, but I was referring to security at larger venues.

Sorry, I really wasn't trying to be a dick, it just seemed odd to me. But you're right, it makes sense that given their group dynamic, he would sort of be in charge of that.

It really does say a lot about them as people. Some people on Facebook are saying things like "typical U2, have to have their photo op, can't pass up a chance for self promotion even in these circumstances". Absolutely pathetic; I don't even know what to say to that. If they knew ANYTHING about this band at all...

The band really can't do any right in some people's eyes, to some everything they do is just to annoy people etc it's a mad kind of obsession that some have

Mate of mine ran into Sam today, and he said the band want to return to Paris as soon as possible. So no waiting for another leg. Whenever they get the green light from the city, they're back.

They will probably really push to do it Dec 6-8 if possible, if Madonna following has any special set up needs that take longer, it should be easy to work something out since they have the same management.

They will probably really push to do it Dec 6-8 if possible, if Madonna following has any special set up needs that take longer, it should be easy to work something out since they have the same management.

Yes that would make sense and probably the right time, a few weeks after the awful events and by then hopefully Paris will have calmed down by then (as you say if at all possible. It's up to the authorities to give the green light and the sooner that happens the better.). IMHO, I'm sure U2 will give a fantastic show when it does happen and give something back to spread a little happiness among U2 fans in Paris.

The thought just occurred to me and I can't seem to shake the idea off as it might not happen. Stop me if you think it's a crazy idea.

It's this: Since both Madonna and U2 have the same management, could we see a one off performance of them together for one song? Well it can happen as I mean look at Noel Gallagher, Patti Smith, Lady Gaga - they played with U2 on stage this tour so how would you feel about that?

Would it be good or bad for U2?

Back
Top Bottom