BREAKING: Shooting and Explosions in Paris

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jeez this is bad! My thoughts are with everyone in paris and friends and family of them around the world!!

A sobering thought ....This could have very easily happened at the U2 show tomorrow night while being broadcast live worldwide.

Damn...

We are in Montreal. Our plane is still going. We are not going on it. Waiting to pull my luggage off the plane. Staying in hotel in Montreal then back home tomorrow. U2 people have taken care of us. Jacob and his parents are in flight still and landing in Paris. I've been in contact with them and they are aware of the situation. U2 contacts will make sure they are ok. Our flight was Toronto to Montreal to Paris. Our flight was still going to Paris. I had to wait 4 hours to get my luggage. At the hotel now in Montreal and have seen the news. My heart breaks. Forget the contest. Forget the u2 shows. This is so horrific. Normally my wife is at home and I'm away in another country. That would have been the case normally. Tonight she's with me and I came to realize how certain things transcend to other things. So sad. Forget the hbo and the contest. People lost their lives. I can't believe the news today.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Glad to hear you're safe man. It's just so incredibly nuts right now, what an absolutely horrific situation.

i have to say, security at Bercy was not great earlier this week - didn't get patted down, security staff just peeked in my handbag, any sick bastard could have got in with a suicide vest if they intended to do so

think this will have a massive effect on our personal freedoms everywhere :(

This ^ I was amazed at how relaxed security was in London after the "small incident" in Stockholm. On the other hand, if they check people , it would take forever to get in.
And we've all seen the bitching and complaining and problems that causes.

This ^ I was amazed at how relaxed security was in London after the "small incident" in Stockholm. On the other hand, if they check people , it would take forever to get in.
And we've all seen the bitching and complaining and problems that causes.

Here they usual handheld metal detectors at all concerts, though when I went to Miami for U2360°, there were no metal detectors or pat-downs, probably because it was a stadium show. I think it should be mandatory.

am_ietour

From this Amra girl:

Just ran into Dallas on the street! He told us both shows are cancelled and the band feels awful about it. But everyone and the crew is ok and safe. He gave us picks "it's something.." he said. So lovely. #U2ieTour #U2paris

I heard an interview with Bono and he said of course, U2 didn't cancel the gigs...everything in Paris is cancelled. So I am sure they would have cancelled anyway, but just know that everything in Paris is cancelled today.
A sad day for humanity...my prayers for Paris :sad:

I will be playing my U2 live from Paris DVD today. Such a sad time in the world.

Here they usual handheld metal detectors at all concerts, though when I went to Miami for U2360°, there were no metal detectors or pat-downs, probably because it was a stadium show. I think it should be mandatory.

Let's not let the fuckwits win. Let's not turn gigs into as arduous an experience as flying. Give the middle finger to those who want us to be afraid by celebrating the good things in life. Then they will never achieve their goals.

I heard an interview with Bono and he said of course, U2 didn't cancel the gigs...everything in Paris is cancelled. So I am sure they would have cancelled anyway, but just know that everything in Paris is cancelled today.
A sad day for humanity...my prayers for Paris :sad:

It will have been a State decision for national security - all major public events/gatherings are cancelled in these circumstances - the band won't have had much say in the matter normally...

The NFL has had wands for a few years, as have many arenas for all types of events. It doesn't really slow the lines down much.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

In other music news, the Foo Fighters have cancelled the rest of their European tour. They were scheduled to play the Bercy on Monday, right after U2.

I doubt U2 would go to such lengths as to postpone the Belfast and Dublin shows, but in a way I understand why the Foos did it. Everyone's just shaken up by this tragedy.

Still sick this morning, ugh. So tragic. Stay strong Paris.

In other music news, the Foo Fighters have cancelled the rest of their European tour. They were scheduled to play the Bercy on Monday, right after U2.

I doubt U2 would go to such lengths as to postpone the Belfast and Dublin shows, but in a way I understand why the Foos did it. Everyone's just shaken up by this tragedy.

How much of their tour did they have left?

And after listening to Bono's interview today, it sounds like they want to be back as soon as possible to play these shows. We've seen them do it before with New York, it's who they are.

Still sick this morning, ugh. So tragic. Stay strong Paris.

How much of their tour did they have left?

And after listening to Bono's interview today, it sounds like they want to be back as soon as possible to play these shows. We've seen them do it before with New York, it's who they are.

Foo Fighters only had four left, through this coming Thursday - Turin, Italy tonight, Paris and Lyon in France, and Barcelona, given that, it's understandable.

Every event you go to hear you get at the very least wanded. Be it a show at MSG, a baseball game at CitiField, or a smaller venue like Irving Plaza. For the life of me I don't understand why this wouldn't be standard operating procedure everywhere. It should be.

It's my understanding that the attackers just stormed the venue from the outside an hour into the show, so not even that level of security would have helped. Which is likely one of the reasons why they went for the smaller venue, rather than the high profile arena show.

Sent from my Moto X Pure Edition using U2 Interference mobile app

Music is my refuge. I'd have been at the EoDM gig if it were in LA. The horror of this awful attack really hits close to home. I cannot fathom the hatred necessary to slaughter innocent people. My thoughts are with, Paris, France, the innocent refugees, and Europe.

It's my understanding that the attackers just stormed the venue from the outside an hour into the show, so not even that level of security would have helped. Which is likely one of the reasons why they went for the smaller venue, rather than the high profile arena show.

They also went for the stadium, but failed apparently because of the high security.

They also went for the stadium, but failed apparently because of the high security.

I understand that the French President was inside the stadium, so maybe it had more security than other days. Hate to think what would've happened if they went inside the stadium.

Let's not let the fuckwits win. Let's not turn gigs into as arduous an experience as flying. Give the middle finger to those who want us to be afraid by celebrating the good things in life. Then they will never achieve their goals.

:up:

The repercussions of this horrible tragedy are only now beginning to come into focus.

Especially now that its proven that one of the terrorists was a Syrian Refugee who entered through Greece a month ago. Its going to get politically nasty regardless of your Political views on immigration.

Makes 100% sense the Foos cancelled.

Surprised Bono wasn't a bit more reflective this morning in the interview.

Also, Bono should expect his Zooropa 'What do you want?' pro Refugee platform to receive some pushback. At least in the short term. Don't expect every fan to be open to the message while the wounds are still so open.

Last edited:
When I heard about this last night, it made me sick to my stomach to think of the band and all the U2 fans in Paris while this was going on. I couldn't remember if there was supposed to be a show last night or not, so you can imagine the thoughts that went through my head. I've never checked Twitter so fast.

Bono said this extremism is an illness in the world, and that's a really good way to describe it.

I will be playing my U2 live from Paris DVD today. Such a sad time in the world.

I was walking down past Paris way
I walked through the streets in the middle of the day.
I knew that summer had arrived
when I saw your eyes,
when I see you.
Well I hope that it was good for me
if I was good for you then it was good for me and
love, love will tear us apart, again.

That DVD is incredible, but the performance of With or Without You is out of this world.

Back
Top Bottom