Best show since ZooTV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
you really don't have much to say...I mean, you might think you do, but you don't. And no amount of incessant, repetitious babble is going to change that.

If it's ok with you, I am going to start dispensing this sage advice liberally, both on the Internet and in life.

To the OP, thanks for posting. Really looking forward to the Chicago show in 3 weeks. I neither love or hate the setlist (glad I peeped because my one disappointment is that there aren't any real new deep cuts that they've broken out but I do like the songs being played) but it's great to hear that the performances are awesome and that the band looks so young.....especially since Bono is still in a coma.

I've seen every tour since JT, except Lovetown and my least favourite Tour was possibly Vertigo.
Possibly my favourite show was on Vertigo, I pretty much knew the setlist off by heart, had already seen the Tour a few times and the bootleg is nothing special.
How does that work?

Personally in all of the shows I've been to starting from the War Tour forward it was hard to top a specific Joshua Tree Tour show in Foxboro.... all of the ZooTV (Arena-leg) shows especially Albany. But if there's one I would pick out is a later 360 show at the new Giants Stadium - not sure what happened that night but Edge was literally on fire (I think the heat index that evening was, idk 110 degrees). What a great show that was! All the post 9/11 shows were pretty emotional too but I still think that 360 show in East Rutherford.

The 360 show at MetLife is currently in my #1 spot as well :highfive:

Definitely up there for me. Fantastic show.

I was at this show too, but funny thing is that it was pretty much the least memorable 360 show for me, about the only one that leg I went to that I really don't remember much about, other than the heat. I do agree with Galeongirl though that they really stepped up their game during the 2011 leg over the 2009 leg, but the Buenos Aires and Montreal shows were the most memorable to me that year.

I had a fun time at the I-E show I attended but I put almost every Vertigo and 360 show I have been to ahead of it. I still would love to attend more dates, maybe my opinion would change then.

The 1st half of the show is great, and really gives you an experience. The screen allows for some stand out moments, yet it feels underutilized. But the 2nd half was nothing special and didn't offer much of anything that I hadn't already seen done before and better on the two previous tours.

I've been to plenty of gigs on 360, and I have to say that 2009 was the dud of them. Even though I absolutely love NLOTH to death, it's my 2nd favourite U2 album... it didn't work out well. In 2010 it was fun with the new songs, but the REAL change was the energy with the band. Bono's cocky "I'm a cyborg" new persona, having so much fun with the crowd, it was brilliant. I didn't really care about the setlist at all.
Then 2011 came and it was even better. And there, the setlist did make the impact. Zooropa, so much AB stuff, goddamn awesome. Plus the energy that was already around in 2010. It all added up, for me those shows were the best I've ever seen.

Granted I have not seen shows live pre 360, so I cannot judge what they were like. I do know that from the reviews of people here who've seen the shows, I'm pretty psyched for September!

I have to agree with you about the 360Tour, the 2009 shows were alright but i had seen better at this point. I went to Dallas & Norman within a week of each other, and some first timers were in my group in Norman. They didn't walk away as impressed as i might have thought they would. Had they been to Nashville in 2011 it would be a different story. That show was easily the best of all the shows i have been too on any tour (PoPmart, Elevation, Vertigo, & 360). Even better than the post-911 Dallas Elevation show, which was the benchmark until then. It was hotter than blazes all day and yet when U2 took the stage they set the place on fire. It was un-freaking-believeable how good they were. I only wish Norman could have had a magical night like that! Also St. Louis 2 weeks later was pretty good, not Nashville good, but still damn good. That band was on fire.

LA 4 was my tenth U2 concert; having seen at least one show every tour since ZooTV, I tend to agree with the OP -- from a conceptual, narrative place, I think this tour has the most cohesion of any since ZooTV. There's a flow to the songs, a purpose to the structure, and I think it really comes off well. With these set lists, U2 have a story to tell, and they are doing it well. While it can lead to a certain static nature to the set lists, I don't mind that, any more than I would mind seeing a couple different performances of a Broadway play. The fact that they've played a combination of 38 different songs in only the first 10 shows means we'll get more varied set lists, but this show is about more than that -- it's about a narrative, a reflection, a shared sense memory they're conveying, and conveying well.

For my money, it's brilliant.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

LA 4 was my tenth U2 concert; having seen at least one show every tour since ZooTV, I tend to agree with the OP -- from a conceptual, narrative place, I think this tour has the most cohesion of any since ZooTV. There's a flow to the songs, a purpose to the structure, and I think it really comes off well.
Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I agree with the points above, but having seen the show in Toronto last night from the nosebleeds I have to say that I was floored by how great the stage design is on this tour. If they kept the layout and tech for all future tours (with updates to the video content of course) I would not complain. Seems like the GA people are happy with the ample opportunities they have to get close to the rail and most in the fixed seats love the visuals. The only really bad seats would be those up high immediately perpendicular to the main stage.

Agree with OP...I ve been to every tour starting with zoo and I would put this tour a close second to Zoo Tv...Great energy loved it. I was skeptical they would be mailing it in at this stage, but I was wrong.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom