Australia Tour Announcement?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeffarido

The Fly
Bono was on aussie radio earlier this week. He was speaking to probably australias most popular radio celebrities 'Hamish & Andy' who are officially coming back to radio on monday and have a big launch party!

They are sending someone from aus all the way to boston and back with usb stick that is supposed to contain a new mix for 'song for someone' to launch at Hamish & Andys show on monday. Now keep in mind this is a poppy music station that does not play much of u2.

It just seemed strange bono would be doing any promo specificly in australia.

This Launch party thing is a pretty big deal for the radio presenters and they are making a big deal about someone flying all the way over to boston this week just to get a usb stick.... There must be more to this...

I think on the supposed usb stick will be a video message of U2 announcing there Australian Tour.....

It makes sence as u2 have nothing scheduled or announced for 2016 yet.

Cant wait for Monday!!!

Last edited:
Possibly they will be shooting for March/April and indoors.
But it's been quiet on the U2 front here. The last few times a U2 tour was announced here there were rumours/possible dates in the days and weeks leading up to it - we KNEW it was coming. I've not heard a single rumour about an Aus tour from any source.
Hope it does happen though!

I did see someone on another u2 forum a couple a months ago about they knew someone who was a ticket broker advising u2 would be playing arenas in aus in 2016.

I guess it makes sence as they have nothing announced for 6 months time from now. They are due to announce their next tour dates anytime you would think....

Last time we knew they were playing stadiums so it made it a bit easier to predict when/where they could be playing. This time they should be playing arenas but we still don't know for sure if they'll revert to stadia again (hope not).

I don't see why late 2015 isn't a possibility, the dates for 360 weren't confirmed until August that year.

I don't see why late 2015 isn't a possibility, the dates for 360 weren't confirmed until August that year.

I could see this happening only if the Dublin shows for the end of the year have indeed been scrapped and they have a spare 3 weeks freed up.
Either way, it seems unlikely Bono would have been interviewed on Aus radio and not have been asked when to expect them back here, so we should get some sort of info regardless.
Been 5 years between drinks for us.

If Song For Someone can be played on Austereo's poppy stations then anything could happen.

I wonder if this "new mix" is something actually different and worth getting excited over?

Sent from my SM-G900I using U2 Interference mobile app

Arenas would be :drool:

Hard to get tickets though. If they come all the way to Australia for arenas then they have to make it worthwhile by playing heaps of shows. The demand wouldn't be anything like Lovetown but I could see easily at least 5 shows in both Sydney and Melbourne. How many more I wonder?

Still it seems like a fantasy to me. I still think the ROW will get the stadium show only.

Assuming they didn't just do an east coast tour and it is arenas, I see the minimum as this...

Perth x 2
Adelaide x 2
Brisbane x 4
Melbourne x 4
Sydney x 4

That's probably more than a month just there. Not to mention New Zealand.

The original Vertigo plan was apparently arenas and only playing Brissy, Sydney and Melbourne. I can see that potentially happening, which would narrow the timeframe.

Considering the number of major USA cities that didn't get concerts, I expect Australia will be Sydney and Melbourne (MAYBE Brisbane). All over in 2 weeks

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Last edited:
Perth has a nice, new arena. And they sold very well in Perth on 360 (more than Sydney and Melbourne, which didn't even "sell out" their 2nd nights. I wouldn't count it out.

I would, however, count out Adelaide unless they do stadiums.

Auckland has Vector arena, which only holds 12,000. Maybe 4 nights there? To do arenas in Australia/NZ would take a solid month.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I could see this happening only if the Dublin shows for the end of the year have indeed been scrapped and they have a spare 3 weeks freed up.

I'm know a couple people with ticket guest list/flights/hotels booked for the Dublin shows. Don't know the venue/dates or if it's more than 3, but I do know they are firmed up and the final dates of 2015.

Possibly they will be shooting for March/April and indoors.
But it's been quiet on the U2 front here. The last few times a U2 tour was announced here there were rumours/possible dates in the days and weeks leading up to it - we KNEW it was coming. I've not heard a single rumour about an Aus tour from any source.
Hope it does happen though!

Yeah it's been basically dead on Aussie rumours so far. A couple of idle comments but nothing meaningful or from a decent source. It seems even South America has had significantly stronger rumours than Australia - and as last tour proved, visiting one does not necessitate visiting the other at the same time.

I wonder if this "new mix" is something actually different and worth getting excited over?

They'd have to do something pretty fucking incredible to Song For Someone to make it exciting. Like, it just mysteriously becomes A Sort of Homecoming.

Perth has a nice, new arena. And they sold very well in Perth on 360 (more than Sydney and Melbourne, which didn't even "sell out" their 2nd nights. I wouldn't count it out.

I would, however, count out Adelaide unless they do stadiums.

Auckland has Vector arena, which only holds 12,000. Maybe 4 nights there? To do arenas in Australia/NZ would take a solid month.

Yeah, I think an arena tour would go to Perth for exactly the reason you mention. Of course, 360's strong sales were due in part to the fact U2 had not been to Perth for twelve years at that point. Demand won't be as strong this time, but definitely enough to justify a return. Adelaide will likely get shafted; the last time they played both Adelaide and Perth on the same tour was 1989! Though I actually think it has a better chance of being played on an arena tour; on 360 its omission helped bolster Melbourne and Sydney sales.

I think demand in Australia/New Zealand has weakened enough that an arena tour is possible again. Vertigo was insane, and I'm not surprised the arena tour morphed into stadiums. 360 still had a lot of residual demand. But I think two big stadium spectaculars has met a lot of the casual demand, there hasn't been a long enough absence for that to become resurgent, Songs of Innocence did not exactly make a big dent in Australia (except as a joke punchline), and it's been over a decade since their last hit single here. An arena tour will probably be messy for ticket sales but it's possible, unlike in 2006 when it would've been unimaginably crazy.

So thoughts on an arena schedule:

Perth x2 - probably a good chance
Adelaide x2 - very unlikely
Melbourne x4 - of course
Sydney x4 - of course
Brisbane x2 - unless they decide to do even more shows in Sydney and/or Melbourne and skip Brisbane to help bolster demand
Auckland x4 - if they go to New Zealand, which always feels up in the air
Dunedin - would probably be only one show, since Forsyth Barr is in fact a roofed stadium, so that may rule it out alone but it could be used for an arena presentation (like how a couple of roofed stadiums were in Europe in 2001) and some big acts have been going to Dunedin to meet South Island demand. Sure many fans have just flown to Auckland on the last two tours, but since U2 haven't been to the South Island since 1993 you can imagine this would sell like hotcakes and be a massive event.

My expectation is probably something like Perth x2, Melbourne x4-6, Sydney x4-6, Auckland x4.

What about something like 6x or even 8x each in Sydney and Melbourne only and rely on people travellng interstate? Would be more cushy for them than having to travel the length and breadth of Australia.

True, it would fit very well in the current touring model. I don't doubt the possibility they could do 8x Melbourne and 8x Sydney.

I wonder if they would use that to mop up New Zealand as well though? The shows in Auckland on Vertigo and 360 have been tour highlights and reignited the band's connection with the country.

That could very easily just be a single. Fucking hell that was lame.

Let's hope there is an announcement, though why the hell it would come through Fox and not MMM is beyond me.

Okay so what time on Monday is this happening y'all?
I still think there hasn't been enough build-up/rumours for an announcement but I could be wrong.
I was thinking they might announce all 2016 legs at once like they did this year, along with new presale codes.

Okay so what time on Monday is this happening y'all?
I still think there hasn't been enough build-up/rumours for an announcement but I could be wrong.
I was thinking they might announce all 2016 legs at once like they did this year, along with new presale codes.

Sometime between 4pm & 6pm during the Hamish & Andy Show.

Depends on what state your in to what radio station they are on.

Ah crap, in SA but will be at work. Should be up on their site after I'm thinking.
Let's hope a tour is at least mentioned with a rough timeframe.

Triple M and their sister-station 3SR (in Shepp) have been flogging a fly to a NYC show + meet and greet comp....you'd reckon they'd know about a tour if it was happening.

I can't see the tour being announced yet, especially before any further dates for the US and Europe in 2016.

The "new mix" isn't too different... some differences to the mixing of the drums and backing vocals. Also sounded very slightly faster in tempo, though I might have imagined that.

By the way I only caught the song, so was there an interview or anything beforehand?

Back
Top Bottom