Australia Tour Announcement?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GA last time was $100, yeah? The Aussie dollar was stronger back in 2010, so taking into account inflation and the currently weaker exchange rate I'd expect GA to be around $130-150 this time.

...which means that if they do a massive run of shows in Melbourne I'll have to be judicious in my choices because I really don't have a desire to burn a thousand dollars on U2 any more.

GA last time was $100, yeah? The Aussie dollar was stronger back in 2010, so taking into account inflation and the currently weaker exchange rate I'd expect GA to be around $130-150 this time.

...which means that if they do a massive run of shows in Melbourne I'll have to be judicious in my choices because I really don't have a desire to burn a thousand dollars on U2 any more.

I say go to 2 shows. I went to just 1 show in Chicago, mostly because I let my responsibilities control my life too much. I feel like it barely happened. The whole thing is like a distant photograph in my mind. I wish I'd have gone to 2 shows.

Every morning after a U2 show, I check u2gigs for the low-down while I eat breakfast. I appreciate your work on that site so much. I found myself not very excited leading up to the shows, because on paper (or... computer/phone screen, whatever) the setlists seemed boring to me. I was fine with my decision to just see 1 show. Until after the fact. That I+E show was my 11th U2 concert going back to Popmart, and if it wasn't the BEST U2 show I've seen, it was certainly top 3. Seeing "Gloria" was a bucket list moment for me, as well. Even watching the hits parade, Pride, BD, WOWY, Streets, etc, was quite thrilling and I was reminded of why I became a U2 fan in the first place. I'll certainly be seeing 2 shows next year, assuming they come back to the States; I don't really care what my wife or boss have to say about it.

GA on 360 was much the same price as on Vertigo if memory serves. I could see them being ~$130 + random fees this time around.

I've only ever seen three shows, so after a 5+ year wait I'm planning to see as many here as I can. Maybe I'll do the whole travel interstate thing too. I'm not jaded yet :shifty:

GA has been "$99" the last two tours. Given GA is usually in the realm of $130-$150 at Rod Laver that's what I'm expecting... but then I really think they'd struggle to sell tickets for more than two shows if they're charging that much for GA for a 4+ show run. That would leave a pretty bad taste in my mouth. At this point I'd be looking to go to all Melb shows but none interstate.

How much have US tickets been? And how much are Europe?

Yeah given the crap exchange rate and smaller venue definitely at least $130. I just hope they don't charge 300+ for seated tickets here, though I reckon they will. Those tickets were the hardest to sell for 360 and prevented quick sellouts.

Sent from my SM-G900I using U2 Interference mobile app

I say go to 2 shows. I went to just 1 show in Chicago, mostly because I let my responsibilities control my life too much. I feel like it barely happened. The whole thing is like a distant photograph in my mind. I wish I'd have gone to 2 shows.

Every morning after a U2 show, I check u2gigs for the low-down while I eat breakfast. I appreciate your work on that site so much. I found myself not very excited leading up to the shows, because on paper (or... computer/phone screen, whatever) the setlists seemed boring to me. I was fine with my decision to just see 1 show. Until after the fact. That I+E show was my 11th U2 concert going back to Popmart, and if it wasn't the BEST U2 show I've seen, it was certainly top 3. Seeing "Gloria" was a bucket list moment for me, as well. Even watching the hits parade, Pride, BD, WOWY, Streets, etc, was quite thrilling and I was reminded of why I became a U2 fan in the first place. I'll certainly be seeing 2 shows next year, assuming they come back to the States; I don't really care what my wife or boss have to say about it.

I'll definitely do two. If there are four Melbourne shows I'll probably do all four. But if there are more than that, that's when I'll start to wonder if I really want to spend heaps of money to see a whole bunch of songs I've seen plenty of times before (and by and large aren't personal favourites either) in the hope of one or two special rarities filtering through each night. You know that we're going to bloody cop Stuck at some point too. I often wish I'd stuck to my resolution at the end of the Vertigo Tour to not see any more shows - having One Tree Hill as the last U2 song I'd heard live was perfect.

PS Thanks mate. :up:

Forget #asignofhomecoming, let's focus on the #nostuck campaign.

We can make it not happen.

#stuckontheothersideofthebarricade

I'll definitely do two. If there are four Melbourne shows I'll probably do all four. But if there are more than that, that's when I'll start to wonder if I really want to spend heaps of money to see a whole bunch of songs I've seen plenty of times before (and by and large aren't personal favourites either) in the hope of one or two special rarities filtering through each night. You know that we're going to bloody cop Stuck at some point too. I often wish I'd stuck to my resolution at the end of the Vertigo Tour to not see any more shows - having One Tree Hill as the last U2 song I'd heard live was perfect.

PS Thanks mate. :up:

It really pisses me off that they don't play OTH more often! People outside New Zealand would love to hear it. It's not the same as playing a truly unknown b-side like "your blue room", it's one of the better songs from their best selling album. I'm sure a large majority of any U2 crowd own the Joshua Tree. Why go to all the trouble to work out the arrangement and do all that rehearsing for just 2 shows?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

:lol:

I can definitely get behind this.

It really pisses me off that they don't play OTH more often! People outside New Zealand would love to hear it. It's not the same as playing a truly unknown b-side like "your blue room", it's one of the better songs from their best selling album. I'm sure a large majority of any U2 crowd own the Joshua Tree. Why go to all the trouble to work out the arrangement and do all that rehearsing for just 2 shows?

No kidding. This belongs in the mooted thread between nitebus and myself about utterly baffling U2 decisions. If I actually scratched my head for every one of this band's headscratchers, I'd have no scalp left by now.

hope this is true, my girlfriend lives in Melbourne and I'm sure she'd like to see U2 live, rather than get annoyed that I'd planned a trip over to see her that coincided with the gigs. hey, may as well cram in as much as you can when you fly to the other side of the world, right?? what she'd say to seeing them two nights is another matter, however... :lol:

Still thinking arenas. The album kind of went unnoticed here. My friend who went to Vertigo and 360 shows with me wasn't aware an album had been released.
Probably just east coast to save time but you never know...

Sent from my SM-G900I using U2 Interference mobile app

I have a feeling Arenas will be a comfortable fit everywhere except Mexico and South America. I wonder how many shows they would have to play in an arena to satisfy demand in Mexico City?

I really hope this rumour turns out to be true. If I get enough time to prepare (read save up), I might finally see the other end of the planet. :shifty: 100 aussie bucks is about 67euros so that's just as much as home.

I have a feeling Arenas will be a comfortable fit everywhere except Mexico and South America. I wonder how many shows they would have to play in an arena to satisfy demand in Mexico City?

I don't think South America has many arena sized venues. Most concerts at the arena level that can't fill stadiums seem to just play in parks or open fields in South America.

I really hope this rumour turns out to be true. If I get enough time to prepare (read save up), I might finally see the other end of the planet. :shifty: 100 aussie bucks is about 67euros so that's just as much as home.

i hope you're able to go. i flew out there in 2010 and i daydream about going back all the time.

A campaign to not play a song that's only been played on 5 of 32 shows so far?

Have they ever played it frequently though? Seems like they enjoy keeping it (mostly) for the New Zealand shows and making it a bit more 'special' that way. Not cool for the majority of us, but I suppose it keeps us from getting sick of it or calling it a 'warhorse' as well.

A campaign to not play a song that's only been played on 5 of 32 shows so far?

That was tongue in cheek due to some strong opinions about the song on here.

I don't mind it, although I'd put a lot of other songs ahead of it given the chance.

On topic, it's been about two weeks since the initial rumour. Really hope to hear something soon (duh).

If they do plan on coming in Feb/March, they will probably announce something in August/September. Possibly use the off time in August to take care of that business. I wouldn't expect to hear anything until after the NYC shows.

Also, there is the whole Dublin show debacle they need to address. I'd think they'd want to take care of that BEFORE they announce dates anywhere else.

Have they ever played it frequently though? Seems like they enjoy keeping it (mostly) for the New Zealand shows and making it a bit more 'special' that way. Not cool for the majority of us, but I suppose it keeps us from getting sick of it or calling it a 'warhorse' as well.

One Tree Hill made its live debut in September 1987 on the third leg of the Joshua Tree Tour and was played at 17 of the 50 shows through North America. It was then played at 19 of the 47 Lovetown shows, including all four in New Zealand. Since then, it has only been played eight times: four times each on Vertigo and 360, and each time two of those performances were in New Zealand followed by two more elsewhere.

Also, there is the whole Dublin show debacle they need to address. I'd think they'd want to take care of that BEFORE they announce dates anywhere else.

Yeah this really needs to be sorted out. Ridiculous that they announced there would be something and still haven't been able to finalise it.

Yeah this really needs to be sorted out. Ridiculous that they announced there would be something and still haven't been able to finalise it.

Yeah it's coming up to 8 months since they announced there would be Dublin shows! And still no solid news, and only speculative words from the band.
The problem is, a lot of people have held off using their presale codes when they could have hot tickets gor other shows. For the sake of those people I hope the Dublin shows happen.

I can't imagine it would be too difficult. I mean even without signing up to shit.com there's usually like a Live Nation presale or something anyway.

I remember the Vertigo sales were complete madness but 360 a walk in the fucking park.

Demand in Aus/NZ will be down. 360 was a big drop on vertigo, and SOI was received worse here than just about anywhere in the wirld

I remember on Vertigo trying to get tickets on dialup and furiously pressing redial on the phone.

So not as nuts as trying to get GA in Europe. Neat, that'd be great. Now hoping I can get the financials down and I might be making a trip down under. :D

Back
Top Bottom