Australia Tour Announcement?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think South America has many arena sized venues. Most concerts at the arena level that can't fill stadiums seem to just play in parks or open fields in South America.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Brasil has the HSBC Arena, for almost 18.000 people (Just in RIO), and we in Chile have the Movistar Arena, for almost the same amount of people.

Argentina, Colombia, Peru, Uruguay have nothing.
So we're kinda screwed in an arena format.

I heard there were plans for an arena in Uruguay and Argentina, but they'll never be on time for the end of 2016 or beggining of 2017, the time frame when U2 should be here (from what I know)

Buenos Aires has Luna Park - lower capacity (9,000) but an iconic arena. Cordoba has the Superdomo (14,000 - built 2002). Peru has the Coliseo Polideportivo in Lima (12,000 seater - built 2011) or the Coloseo (20,000), Ecuador has the Coliseo General Rumiñahui in Quito (16,000 seater - built 1996) and Colombia has arenas in Bogota (El Campín - 26,000) and Cali (Coliseo El Pueblo - 18,000). Brazil has quite a few now.

You could cobble together a fairly decent arena tour in South America - but would U2 bother?

Soooo it's been over two weeks since the rumour that an announcement was imminent and we've heard nothing new at all. Maybe it was just speculation?

Sent from my SM-G900I using U2 Interference mobile app

I noticed Ticketek removed U2 from the 'Waitlist Now' section on their main page again. Probably doesn't mean anything.

Like I said earlier, don't expect any news of any kind until after New York gigs. 2nd week of August at the earliest.

i spoke to 2 senior crew members at MSG 8 who both told me that Australia was 2017 :|
Next year would be USA again anytime from july onwards. no mention of South America either yet.
i heard fom someone else who said Dallas told them australia 2916 so who knows !

Knowing Edge, he doesn't want to be tied down finishing Songs of Experience with only a few months , which it would be with an OZ tour in March. we heard a tour announcement in March is likely but again no proof of anything. Just stating what i've heard.
I was already planning my flights down for march :angry:

Flicking through the TV, I just noticed a 2 hour special on the making of Actung Baby is now on Double J's the J Files for anyone that's keen. Is this some more unusually high U2 traffic? Yeah, I'm dreaming, there will be no Aussie tour announcement. But I so want it to be true!

Listened to that the other night. They play the Achtung album in full interspersed with snippets from people like Lillywhite and Lanois and from band members

Sent from my SM-G900I using U2 Interference mobile app

A friend of mine was told by Joe O'Herlihy at the airport leaving NYC that Aus shows would be 2017. Hearing that burst my bubble.

:( well that's a shame.

I'm in Melbourne at the moment, was really hoping for another excuse to come back even sooner haha

Maybe they're going to use early 2016 to finish SOE. Shah... And monkeys might out of my butt!

Certainly sounds like SOMETHING changed with the internal decision making. Not ready to disregard all those 2016 rumors. I do think it's a stronger sign SOE will happen and that they want to wait until they have the "full show" before coming to Australia and New Zealand.

Whatever happens, the way this year has gone so fast 2017 will come around soon enough.

Amen! I remember when U2 forced their album into our iTunes accounts, forever stealing our innocence and raping our souls? Next week marks the 1 year anniversary of that dreadful (aka awesome) day,

1 year ago,thats gone quick. I still listen to the album and i still love it aswell

I remember one of the band members saying that U2 would be touring South America in early 2016. However, AC/DC and the Rolling Stones are both going to be doing stadium tours in SA early next year (neither are "confirmed" yet, but it's well known in the fan communities that these shows are happening). Maybe U2 figured it was best to postpone their SA visit so as not to have to compete with two of their biggest competitors on the international touring circuit. Probably a good idea.

Hopefully if they plan on stretching this tour into 2017 they have another album. It'd be strange to still be touring in 2017 behind an album that came out in 2014. But, stranger things have happened...

What, November this year or next?
I have a feeling the Paris shows will end the year because surely we would have heard of something by now?

Next year. Sorry, I'm already in 2016, I didn't even noticed that could indicate Nov/15, :lol:

I'm praying for Dublin next year. The only dates I can't make it are in late December.

So, supposing U2 releases SoE, they're going back do US/Europe, then moving the tour outdoors and going to Latin America/Australia/NZ/Japan and others ?

Yes, the first semester of 2016 is incredible busy: Rumoured Coldplay and Rolling Stones, and confirmed: Maroon 5, Lollapalloza festival, and a bunch of others minor acts as well. I highly doubt U2 here in early 2016

2017 seems a bit ridiculous. I remember during 360 there were rumours that they would play in Oz in 2011, however as we all know they came in late 2010 so fingers crossed.

I've always maintained though that they would come around March/April 2016. It's only a wild guess here, but hopefully Joe O'Herlihy said 2017 as a precaution. The whole 'Bono nearly dying' event last year may have made them just want to play out 2015 and see how the group and mainly Bono is holding up. Personally I could forgo another album if it means them touring next year.

Back
Top Bottom