Additional ("Residence"?) Dates Speculation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Boston sold out very fast, hope/expect at least one more date for us

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Many dates still have availability. London still has seats (albeit top priced seats) for all four shows.

Can't see additional dates being added if current shows still have availability.

They are very limited though. Most of them are just single seats and in the corners. Only £165 tickets left and there dosent seem to be many.

They could defo get two more shows to that stage. There not going to worry about a handfull of single seats left unsold

Livenation has already declared all the shows sold out on their website. There all easily 95% sold out.

Shows dont have to be sold out to add more they just have to be close to being sold out.

They are very limited though. Most of them are just single seats and in the corners. Only £165 tickets left and there dosent seem to be many.

They could defo get two more shows to that stage. There not going to worry about a handfull of single seats left unsold

Livenation has already declared all the shows sold out on their website. There all easily 95% sold out.

Shows dont have to be sold out to add more they just have to be close to being sold out.

Yep... I agree with you.

I was still getting pairs of seats coming up earlier but now nothing, only the odd single.

I wonder why the U2 camp often decides to overplay a city like London (4 shows and rumors there will be more), whereas London is a place where sales are / have been slower compared to other markets..

Cities in Italy, Spain, Netherlands seem to sell much much faster than UK cities...I am sure that U2 could sell out several weeks in a row in Amsterdam, Barcelona, Milan...

Looks like Chicago is sold out.....Well the good news there still are 900 tickets available from resellers, a bunch of "platinum seating" and some very nice VIP packages....Yours for the low price of $600 each........

I wonder why the U2 camp often decides to overplay a city like London (4 shows and rumors there will be more), whereas London is a place where sales are / have been slower compared to other markets..

Cities in Italy, Spain, Netherlands seem to sell much much faster than UK cities...I am sure that U2 could sell out several weeks in a row in Amsterdam, Barcelona, Milan...

All 4 dates in london are now 100% Sold out!

So anyways..

I posted this on another thread. See how my rationale works and lemme know what you think of it. I know you analyze these patterns well and respect greatly the work you do on your data..

Yeah the schedule surprises me a little. One of the first things I noticed when it was announced is that there is no room after the two Toronto dates to add another couple of shows, while there is room after both Montreal and Chicago to add four shows each. Your proposal, involving the addition of two dates before the originally announced shows in both Chicago and Toronto, seems plausible but unlikely to me. It raises some questions, i.e. why not announce those earlier shows first, especially when 3 July (the "fourth" Toronto show under your plan) is a Friday and would sell well. The band have occasionally announced extra shows before the date announced first, as I noted, but this seems a bit more systematic than previously.

Then again, thinking about it a little more, maybe they do want to hold back a Friday Toronto show because that would give a fourth date a welcome boost. Put initial shows on slightly less ideal dates and make sure they sell - i.e. to people who'll drop anything to see U2, don't care about day of the week - and then move onto shows on slightly more attractive dates to lure in casuals where all the factors need to align for them to drop the cash. So yeah, I do think your suggestion is plausible and wouldn't be shocked if it happened, but on the same token I won't be expecting it.

Keep in mind after Montreal the band might just be planning a bit of a mid-leg break. That's not abnormal. Recall the break between Vancouver and Chicago on the first leg of 360. So all of these gaps may not be filled in their entirety, even when it seems like space exists for extra shows.

Yeah the schedule surprises me a little. One of the first things I noticed when it was announced is that there is no room after the two Toronto dates to add another couple of shows, while there is room after both Montreal and Chicago to add four shows each. Your proposal, involving the addition of two dates before the originally announced shows in both Chicago and Toronto, seems plausible but unlikely to me. It raises some questions, i.e. why not announce those earlier shows first, especially when 3 July (the "fourth" Toronto show under your plan) is a Friday and would sell well. The band have occasionally announced extra shows before the date announced first, as I noted, but this seems a bit more systematic than previously.

Then again, thinking about it a little more, maybe they do want to hold back a Friday Toronto show because that would give a fourth date a welcome boost. Put initial shows on slightly less ideal dates and make sure they sell - i.e. to people who'll drop anything to see U2, don't care about day of the week - and then move onto shows on slightly more attractive dates to lure in casuals where all the factors need to align for them to drop the cash. So yeah, I do think your suggestion is plausible and wouldn't be shocked if it happened, but on the same token I won't be expecting it.

Keep in mind after Montreal the band might just be planning a bit of a mid-leg break. That's not abnormal. Recall the break between Vancouver and Chicago on the first leg of 360. So all of these gaps may not be filled in their entirety, even when it seems like space exists for extra shows.

Good points. I had forgotten about the mini break they sometimes take. Could very well be planning that again. I think you're onto something with them flushing out us crazies for Monday and Tuesday night shows, and then dropping Friday and Sa...wait..Thursday?? Argh. There's a major flaw in my theory. I can't see them actually being in Toronto for a week and not playing the Saturday night. Has that ever happened, other than maybe because of a playoff conflict (not like Toronto typically has any issues there LOLOLOL)...hmmm

Sent from my ass crack

Well, there we go, extra Montreal and Chicago dates added after the original two, and nothing yet for Toronto. Your theory could still come to pass though, since the necessary gaps remain.

Yeah I think when the dust settles Toronto ends up with 4. It's a bit infuriating how they are stringing this along.

Sent from my ass crack

It'll be interesting to see if the lack of announcing additional Toronto dates, sells the remaining TO tickets out.

Either way, I'm hoping that next Tuesday is the final day for announcing any more dates. I'm having fits waiting on what more NYC is getting. Sure seems like they are headed for 8 shows there.

I think it's great for "casuals" like me. :lol: Who knows, if NY does have 8 dates, I might even end up going to 2 shows!

It'll be interesting to see if the lack of announcing additional Toronto dates, sells the remaining TO tickets out.

Either way, I'm hoping that next Tuesday is the final day for announcing any more dates. I'm having fits waiting on what more NYC is getting. Sure seems like they are headed for 8 shows there.

Yeah. I'm basically disciplining myself to casually trying in general sales for NY shows, just for the hell of it, and waiting it out to see what Toronto dates are added. I'm not going to Montreal twice for 4 shows.

Oh..and Dublin. I'm really really thinking Dublin.

I don't think I've read any speculation on what break-even is for a show this tour. 1/2 sold, 2/3s, 3/4s?
And, I'm sure that amount goes down a fair amount once there's already 2 soldout nights in an arena. Obviously, I'm not sure what the load-in/load-out cost is as percentage of show-cost, but since it's labor, it's got to be significant.

Considering that, it seems likely that Toronto would get 2 more shows.

I just posted in another thread speculation that if Toronto doesn't get any more shows, it could be a strategy to keep demand high for stadium gigs in 2016. Satisfy demand now in Montreal (a strong market, but traditionally slightly weaker than Toronto), but keep it bubbling along in Toronto for a big return visit.

This, however, is totally pulled out of my arse, so take it with a grain of salt.

Back
Top Bottom