8 MSG shows. Which ones best?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the bar info. They all look great!!! Think it will be fish and chips at A Salt and Battery then a wee pub crawl might be in order. Nice little buzz and then go nuts in GA.

Barcade in Chelsea has great beers, good games and is sorta nearby

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

The Frying Pan is cool for outdoor drinking if it's a beautiful day, it's an old wreck of a boat turned bar moored on the Hudson at 26th St., about a 10 block walk or a few minutes by cab to MSG.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using U2 Interference mobile app

Keep the bar recommendations going please. I'm in NY for a week but haven't been for 5 yrs. Stayed last time in Cooper Sq and enjoyed places like St Marks, Bleeker St bar and Swift Hibernia (?) ie not completely full of poseurs. Staying at the Gem on East Houston this time

Sent from my GT-I9195 using U2 Interference mobile app

I was just telling my wife we should go back to The Frying Pan.

And if you are going that way, I would say it would be hard not to enjoy the Highline https://www.thehighline.org/visit right before a U2 show in July. I know they have at least one place with beer, but if you want to stay sober for an hour or two, start here eat some food, then walk to the Frying Pan, drink and eat more food, then back to MSG.

Walking distance there's a few options.

There's actually a damn good pint of Guinness at a bar called Tracks, which is in the Long Island Railroad portion of Penn Station. If you're only looking for a great pint and a short walk to the show, that's your best bet. It's a pure commuter bar, obviously, but Guinness is surprisingly good.

As far as atmosphere?

Stout is nearby, which is good but overpriced. Tir na nog is across the street and also good. There's a place called Harrington's also within short walking distance.

If you're good walking a couple of blocks and are looking for more than just Guinness, there's a great beer bar on 33rd appropriately named Rattle and Hum. Excellent beer selection, likely to be packed.

If you're willing to go on a short subway ride, well, the world is your oyster.

Penn Station, which sits under MSG, is a 10-15 minute subway ride from half the city.

I would vote for Tir Na Nog...good for a pint or 6 and stumbling distance to MSG.

Keep the bar recommendations going please. I'm in NY for a week but haven't been for 5 yrs. Stayed last time in Cooper Sq and enjoyed places like St Marks, Bleeker St bar and Swift Hibernia (?) ie not completely full of poseurs. Staying at the Gem on East Houston this time

Sent from my GT-I9195 using U2 Interference mobile app

The bars down in the east village (St. Marks etc) are always a blast...Hit Mcsorley's 1 block south of St Marks Place....Delicious beer and the place has A TON of history..... Do it !

The bars down in the east village (St. Marks etc) are always a blast...Hit Mcsorley's 1 block south of St Marks Place....Delicious beer and the place has A TON of history..... Do it !

Thanks:up: Been to McSorley's a few times and should have mentioned it in my favoutite bars:lol: It's cool in there:applaud:

On a slightly different note... Having been to NY a few times, we are after doing a few different things this time, having done the normal touristy things. One thing on my bucket list is proper fried chicken and waffles:lol::lol:
Don't mind going up to Harlem if need be. Any tips?

Last edited:
Thanks:up: Been to McSorley's a few times and should have mentioned it in my favoutite bars:lol: It's cool in there:applaud:

On a slightly different note... Having been to NY a few times, we are after doing a few different things this time, having done the normal touristy things. One thing on my bucket list is proper fried chicken and waffles:lol::lol:
Don't mind going up to Harlem if need be. Any tips?

Lots of great fried chicken around your hotel but not as many chicken and waffles... A good place for chicken and waffles downtown is Sweet Chick on Ludlow just south of Houston, just a couple of blocks from where you are staying. Without waffles, I quite like Bobwhite Counter on Avenue C and Sixth Street for fried chicken. For more of a finer dining experience, Root and Bone on Third St. and Ave. B is also a great fried chicken place. Blue Ribbon is near where you are staying too, but I'd give that one a pass, I don't really like their chicken; Hill Country Chicken on Broadway and 25th is the better fast casual fried chicken joint, and near MSG.

Hey Popartist. Plan on walking the bridge over to Brooklyn while I'm up there. Any recommendations for food and drink in Dumbo?

Lots of great fried chicken around your hotel but not as many chicken and waffles... A good place for chicken and waffles downtown is Sweet Chick on Ludlow just south of Houston, just a couple of blocks from where you are staying. Without waffles, I quite like Bobwhite Counter on Avenue C and Sixth Street for fried chicken. For more of a finer dining experience, Root and Bone on Third St. and Ave. B is also a great fried chicken place. Blue Ribbon is near where you are staying too, but I'd give that one a pass, I don't really like their chicken; Hill Country Chicken on Broadway and 25th is the better fast casual fried chicken joint, and near MSG.

Many thanks :drool::applaud:

Many thanks :drool::applaud:

No problem! I've been conducting a few food challenges for my personal enjoyment - fried chicken has been one of them (along with burgers and ice cream), so that is why I have much to recommend in that area. :D There's probably some really authentic places in Harlem, but the ones that I have tried like Amy Ruth's lack the bit of crunch that I like in my chicken. :)

Hey Popartist. Plan on walking the bridge over to Brooklyn while I'm up there. Any recommendations for food and drink in Dumbo?

Don't really get that way often to have any real recommendations. Randomly took some pals who were doing a gig in the area to Pedro's on Jay and Front Sts., which had pretty good tacos. There are some food spots by Pier 5 in Brooklyn Bridge Park with outposts of Luke's Lobster (good lobster rolls) and Ample Hills Creamery (great ice cream).

Thank you so much for the info. Getting very excited for this trip. Fave band fave city. What's not to like! Btw see you mentioned burgers as one of your food challenges. Where would you recommend. Staying in the village so thinking corner bistro, minetta tavern, or spotted pig?

Thank you so much for the info. Getting very excited for this trip. Fave band fave city. What's not to like! Btw see you mentioned burgers as one of your food challenges. Where would you recommend. Staying in the village so thinking corner bistro, minetta tavern, or spotted pig?

Oh, if you are staying in the Village and can spend the bucks, then definitely go for Minetta Tavern or the Spotted Pig - can't go wrong with either! Have not been to Corner Bistro yet, but I hear it is not as good as it used to be. A cheaper really good burger is at the Brindle Room in the East Village - great taste to the meat - it is a little on the small side though, and the fries weren't much to write home about. But the taste. :drool:

I need to try Brindle Room. Always a top burger in polls. But in general NYC has non stop great food all over the place. It's hard to fuck up and pick a bad place.

General tip -- big gay ice cream. Amazing all around.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Was planning on visiting Big Gay Ice Cream in east village. Also Xiang famous food sp. . Gotta get me some of their spicy lamb noodles?

X'ian Famous Foods is great for Chinese! Big Gay is good but I am not a big fan of soft serve in general. My best ice cream pick is Oddfellows on East 4th between Bowery and 2nd Ave., I have been bingeing on their Buttermilk Honey Blueberry ice cream lately. Other good ice cream in the East Village is Davey's, and Mikey's, and then Morgenstern's on the Lower East Side at Rivington off of Bowery. Van Leeuwen's is good but kind of a rip-off.

Food near the Garden - not great food in the immediate vicinity but if you don't mind standing up and being outdoors (there are some chairs and tables though if you can snag one), there is the Broadway Bites outdoor food court where 6th and Broadway cross, just south of Macy's, lots of great food vendors! And they have alcohol too at the south end. Also Koreatown is just to the east of that - generally 32nd St. between Bway and Fifth.

Thank you all for the recommendations. Very helpful. I do know the city somewhat and a few of your choices were on my list. Some I did not know of. Again, thanks. Now I have one more recommendation request and I'm sure this one will be the cause of much debate. Pizza????? In the village ( Washington Square Hotel). So thinking joes for a slice, possibly johns or keste if going for full pie?

For a slice, yes, Joe's is def. the way to go. Not really up on good whole pies in Manhattan, except it is probably easier to get good pizza by the pie, so maybe someone else can chime in. I will say that Roberta's does have a stand at Broadway Bites, so that could be worth checking out.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using U2 Interference mobile app

Pizza is very good at Patsy's or Grimaldi's in Manhattan but if you want great, go to Brooklyn- L & B Spumoni Gardens in Bensonhurst. Great outdoor spot, incredible Spumoni to finish off the meal. 30 minute subway ride from Manhattan.

Back
Top Bottom