$300 for Upper Deck - What Are They Smoking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
God, so much greed today.

- Resellers stealing all the tickets

- VIP tickets charging double for the lower level action

- Platinum tickets charging 400-700 for seats barely better than most of the $300 ones

- $300 nosebleed tickets in areas where the band is super popular

- $300 floor level tickets to begin with...tickets so bad that scalpers won't even buy hundreds of them for the San Jose shows because they likely will have a hard time even getting face value for those at some point

It's all just a fucking mess. And the vast majority of people that got GA tickets? Through the fan club for which they paid a fee for the access to nab those two tickets, thus increasing the price from $80 a pop.

Just one big money pinwheel and it's been kind of disturbingly fascinating to see each new leaf spin by. I'm just astounded every time a new bit of information comes along. It's insane.

Well said, I fully agree!

I got section 317 row 5 for Vancouver (CA$47 total) and the e-ticket states **limited view** I'm guessing there a screen that runs along the length of the stage that may block the far end?

I think there's going to be a massive screen on both sides of the arena while the band will just be in the center without any screens. These screens will get in the way of the views of the cheap seats on either side, hence why they were such inexpensive tickets. This would leave the stage clear for an in the round type show and having a big screen on either side would make the video screens visible to everyone in the arena with ease. You either look straight ahead or to your right and/or left to see one of the video monitors. Not that hard to do because arenas aren't that big, anyway.

I think the cheap seats on the right and left sections will kind of see around it and easily see to the other screen across from them. The ones in the middle will probably be most obstructed because the back of the actual screen will be rising up in front of them. They'll basically be looking underneath it at the show. If the screens are hung from the ceiling (which is likely), they'd be up high enough that basically everyone in the arena can see down at the actual show. It's just that if you look up or directly across from yourself in those cheap seats, you might see the back of the screen.

In other words, the bottom of the screen on either side of the arena will likely be at eye level for somebody in the very back of the cheap seats looking down at the band. The idea is you have the screens just high enough so that those people can see the action down in the center of the arena. Again, people in the middle section may have a hard time seeing the other screen across from the because their own screen is going to block that viewing angle.

Also possible that some particularly tall people in the back might have to crouch down a bit to kind of get under the video screen and see the action. Otherwise, their eye level will reach the bottom of the screen.

My theory seems to fit in with what we're seeing because the lower level tickets aren't listed as obstructed at all from what I can gather which means the screens would only be up on the upper floors and blocking that area. It makes sense because it would be hard to do an in the round show with video curtains or central monitors blocking a lot of the action.

Thinking about this more, I also see the band hovering in each side of the rectangle for certain periods with Bono using the length of it as a catwalk. Therefore, Larry would likely have a drum setup at each end with one coming up on the risers and one lowering when the band switches to the opposite side of the arena. Otherwise, there's no way you could get his kit all the way over there.

Likewise, certain guitars will probably be stored on just one end rather than having to traffic them all the way under the stage. So the shows will likely be rather choreographed so Edge can use a certain guitar for "Streets" when they're on one side or whatever else. Of course, it wouldn't be the biggest deal to have Dallas just run one across the underbelly of the stage when necessary, but they likely want them to be there already so he can just toss one up if need be.

It is telling to see only 8 GA tixs for sale on Stubhub for Toronto 2. Kind of supports the view that if the band did do paperless and CC they could reduce resale.

Exactly! And those morons trying to sell GA think they can actually accompany people to the venue. It will not work.

Let's say I buy GA tickets for an extravagant amount and then on the day of get in line at 8 AM. I wait all day and they let people into the arena at 5 PM.

I get to the front and my guy never showed! Or he did and they wouldn't let him in line because we used numbered wristbands! Now I have to go to the back of the line with him to get in!

Or he just argues that he's busy and doesn't want to show up until show time. So much for you wasting your whole day!

Or worse, scalper dude gets stuck in traffic like the nightmare some people had with the last Bay Area 360 show....he shows up at fucking 9:30 to let you in.

It literally will not work. And the band could have ensured fans got all the tickets at a fair price by making it paperless across the board.

It literally will not work. And the band could have ensured fans got all the tickets at a fair price by making it paperless across the board.

Yep. Agree all the way. I love hard tix for collections but printing an email confirmation and adding that to the scrapbook would work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app

Exactly! And those morons trying to sell GA think they can actually accompany people to the venue. It will not work.

Let's say I buy GA tickets for an extravagant amount and then on the day of get in line at 8 AM. I wait all day and they let people into the arena at 5 PM.

I get to the front and my guy never showed! Or he did and they wouldn't let him in line because we used numbered wristbands! Now I have to go to the back of the line with him to get in!

Or he just argues that he's busy and doesn't want to show up until show time. So much for you wasting your whole day!

Or worse, scalper dude gets stuck in traffic like the nightmare some people had with the last Bay Area 360 show....he shows up at fucking 9:30 to let you in.

With stubhub guarantee, I wonder how they would deal with this. Just refund$$?

Not inconceivable that the few GA scalpers may actually want to see the show themselves. Also, 80-90% of GA peeps won't even get there until 4 or later, so chances of whoever buys wanting to do an all day wait will be small.

Eh, you'd be right about GA if this were a stadium show. In arenas, there's a much smaller amount of fans on the floor. By mid-afternoon when people are let in, I usually noticed about half the floor being filled up right away behind me on the Vertigo Tour...

But hell, I for one was going to pay a fair amount for GAs for a nice ticket/viewpoint. My girlfriend and I weren't even going to wait in line this time and instead just show up practically when the show's start time began around 7:30...again, it was more about the price than anything else and I'm perfectly happy paying $80 to watch them from the back of the GA crowd (although there won't really be a back for the entire show with this in the round setup).

But it's very possible that some people might want to get as close to parts of the stage as possible and arrive in the wee hours of the morning and their scalper isn't going to want to do that even if they are attending the show. The GA line is not for everyone and even I'm over it at this point.

y0sswnd.jpg

Screen wise I was assuming something like the Cowboys Stadium - long rectangular screen (hanging lower of course) running the length of the stage with smaller screens at the end. This may cause limited views when they are at the far end...

Rolling Stones price is such a joke...basically, boomers are usually the most exploitable.

It's a testament to U2 for not charging such obscene amounts in the past. Their average ticket price in the past was nowhere near those. Vertigo topped out at like $140 or $180-something for those seated tickets if I remember correctly. That was the top ticket ten years ago to see that band.

yea seriously...

some of the prices are ridiculous, and i'd never pay 300 bucks face value for a seat unless it were a really special concert...

but these prices are pretty standard now a days, and if anything, U2's ticket prices are still actually BELOW the industry standard, as hard as that may be to believe.

y0sswnd.jpg

Screen wise I was assuming something like the Cowboys Stadium - long rectangular screen (hanging lower of course) running the length of the stage with smaller screens at the end. This may cause limited views when they are at the far end...

I see there being two stationary screens hanging in front of the cheap seats as I mentioned in this thread, hence why those are the two areas listed as obstructed. That picture gives a good idea of what I'm talking about though. You can see how the people behind the screen would have to look downward towards the action rather than straight ahead at the back of the screen. A stationary screen on each side of the venue at that height would totally suffice. Everybody would be able to see one from practically anywhere they're at.

The width is probably the entire middle section and then it extends out a bit into the cheap seats on the right/left of that, hence why they're obstructed a bit too.

yea seriously...

some of the prices are ridiculous, and i'd never pay 300 bucks face value for a seat unless it were a really special concert...

but these prices are pretty standard now a days, and if anything, U2's ticket prices are still actually BELOW the industry standard, as hard as that may be to believe.

Again, industry standard being uber-popular mainstream acts. You can see plenty of the best bands on the planet for $40 or less at intimate venues anywhere around the world. It's just a select few that become arena/stadium popular and then totally wring the money out of their fanbase.

It is absolutely ridiculous for The Stones to charge a ticket price that would likely be more than every show I'd see for the rest of my life combined (not counting U2). So many great bands you could see instead for years on end instead of plopping $700 down to watch Mick strut about the stage. Most of the people dumping that money don't even know the deeper tracks or whatnot. They just know the hits and have cash to spare.

Again, industry standard being uber-popular mainstream acts. You can see plenty of the best bands on the planet for $40 or less at intimate venues anywhere around the world. It's just a select few that become arena/stadium popular and then totally wring the money out of their fanbase.

It is absolutely ridiculous for The Stones to charge a ticket price that would likely be more than every show I'd see for the rest of my life combined (not counting U2). So many great bands you could see instead for years on end instead of plopping $700 down to watch Mick strut about the stage. Most of the people dumping that money don't even know the deeper tracks or whatnot. They just know the hits and have cash to spare.

:shrug: so don't pay the money.

U2 is on average cheaper than most of their contemporaries.

And it's not ridiculous, as people are obviously paying to go.

Demand dictates the market. If you have a serious problem with the costs, simply choose to take your dollar elsewhere. If enough people do that, then the costs will go down.

The weird part is that none of the U2 stuff is priced right...

Cheap seats/GA - Way too low
Lower level seats/rest of the upper level seats - way too high

The only area that was kind of fair were the mid-level quality upper levels being $80 given the current market. I can't see charging $110 for the best nosebleeds or only $40 for the worst ones and GA is obviously a huge steal for what you're getting. The band could have at least smoothed things out more.

And you're right, the market is going to dictate the costs except for GA because those can't be resold. Uppers are clearly going to make money for scalpers and the lowers are often going to be hard to sell straight up via TicketMaster given their high price tag. That's the market at work.

But really, OSeary is kind of an idiot. That general pricing scheme just doesn't work. You can't charge $40 total for nosebleeds and over $300 total for lower seats and $80 for GA...it's completely unbalanced and unsurprisingly lead to all these disparities. If we're going for fairness, GA tickets should be the most (especially given this stage setup which lets a lot of people get real close), the lower seats for a bit less and then the upper seats for all about the same with a slight discount for the obstructed view ones. Instead, it was just mayhem and unsurprisingly led to people like me just going for certain tickets and saying "screw it" if we couldn't get them because there was no real parity between the assigned cost for each sort of ticket.

The weird part is that none of the U2 stuff is priced right...

Cheap seats/GA - Way too low
Lower level seats/rest of the upper level seats - way too high

<snip>

But really, OSeary is kind of an idiot. That general pricing scheme just doesn't work. You can't charge $40 total for nosebleeds and over $300 total for lower seats and $80 for GA...it's completely unbalanced and unsurprisingly lead to all these disparities. If we're going for fairness, GA tickets should be the most (especially given this stage setup which lets a lot of people get real close), the lower seats for a bit less and then the upper seats for all about the same with a slight discount for the obstructed view ones. Instead, it was just mayhem and unsurprisingly led to people like me just going for certain tickets and saying "screw it" if we couldn't get them because there was no real parity between the assigned cost for each sort of ticket.

But that pricing structure has basically been in effect since Elevation, adjusting for inflation, so you can't blame Oseary for that, really. The difference this time is how many more of those seats are at the top price. Not sure whether to blame Live Nation or Oseary for that - probably both.

Yeah, more seats at the top price is what's increasing the disparity. It's $80 for the most sought after ticket and the consolation seats are $300. Pretty big gap made moreso by just how many seats are at least $300.

On top of it, there's that awful dirty feeling that I could never live with which is paying $110 for the best upper level tickets while the people two feet from Bono got in for $80. I mean, really?

But I see what you mean. GA has definitely been unfairly cheaper for this entire century and it just empties the cash out of people that weren't as lucky to get such tickets...or in the case of this forum, have connections. I mean, it's just kind of funny how some people are GA or bust and literally have other people on this forum that have given them access to practically any show at face value. Most fans don't have that sort of resources at their disposal...if they miss out on GA, there goes GA. So in a lot of cases, the fans without the connections or luck are paying crazy amounts for seats while someone else is in the Vertigo circle for the tenth time because of their choice in friends. It boggles the mind.

But that pricing structure has basically been in effect since Elevation, adjusting for inflation, so you can't blame Oseary for that, really. The difference this time is how many more of those seats are at the top price. Not sure whether to blame Live Nation or Oseary for that - probably both.

top price for elevation was $135

adding inflation (U. S.) for 2001 to 2014 that price would be around $180.

the 2001 prices were way too high, these prices are just plain obscene.

top price for elevation was $135

adding inflation (U. S.) for 2001 to 2014 that price would be around $180.

the 2001 prices were way too high, these prices are just plain obscene.

Talking general music industry inflation, not official inflation. ;)

General music industry would technically be deflation.

It's only these heritage and top tier modern acts that are commanding these prices. Everyone else is seeing a flailing industry making it harder and harder to succeed.

I guess the big plus is that it's now easier to establish yourself. These top indie bands can tour all over the world and sell hundreds of thousands of albums. In the 80's, they'd be stuck in their home country, touring around in a van and living in poverty. The internet age has helped things balloon faster in that regard.

Here's an idea. We need a "shadow tour" to accompany the actual one, b/c it's clear to see that hardly any actual U2 fans will be attending the indoor tour. Since so few folks were actually able to get tix, and I read tales now of *fan club tickets* being put up for resale by TM, (wonder why there was a 2-ticket presale limit?) it seems we are owed a free mini-gig by the band in each city they play, so actual fans can see them live.

Most of the seats this tour will be filled by rich folk, hipsters or otherwise, politely nodding their heads and sipping beer with bored looking faces. And that's just for the "rock" shows. I wonder just how loud the relative silence in the arenas will be, as the band will be expecting sing-alongs for the acoustic shows but very few people in the stands will know any of the words--or even care. I hope they don't think that any of this will be their fault.

I think it was noted by the band during the last tour at the tepid audiences for many shows, the lack of audience response. Granted, No Line wasn't one of their gems, but there were a few great ones on there.

Someone needs to warn Bono as he lies in bed in Dublin: don't expect too much from the U2 audiences this tour, b/c you simply will not see them. They won't be there.

This just might be the first U2 tour with more fans outside the arena than in. And just a thought to those lucky to still have unused presale codes--or those who still have allotted tickets to buy--if these are the prices, jacked-up nosebleeds and otherwise, for the ARENA tour, what will the stadium ones be?!?!

I don't see it as a plus at all. bands used to have to earn or work their way up to larger venues by earning fans with great word of mouth or reviews of shows in smaller venues. And in the 70s and part of the 80s the largest venue in L A was the inglewood Forum. I have seen a few hundred shows there. Stones, McCartney and Wings, Springsteen , Zeppelin , The Who, Neil Young, Bowie, Queen, etc. Most all of these shows my seats were on the floor in the first 5 rows. I have some of my old tickets stubs. these floor seats costs between $12 and $25. this is the mid- late 70s and early 80s

I was making $8 hour working in a super market.

I am ready to admit a lot of things are better today. but some things are not.

deep....If memory services me correctly I paid $35 dollars for a bus ride and ticket for the Joshua Tree tour.....I think what we are seeing is revenue shifting from recording income....CD's, Dowloads, DVD's to performance income....

That is little steep nonetheless.... didn't encounter the same pricing when I was buying tickets for Berlin. The only tickets in 230 euro range were the best seats in the house. Then the seats further up were 109euros and nosebleeds were 61euros.

Back
Top Bottom