2016 Rumour Dates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Joe O'Herlihy told someone on here about it being 2017. Honestly don't know why they would leave it that long though. Why not slot it in before next year's Euro and US dates?

I wonder if your right about this, I kinda always thought Aus./S.A./Japan would be after the new year??? I hope so for all your sakes.

At least you guys know something about the Australian dates. SA is still in jeopardy with the whole arena/stadiuns thing.

What bugs me the most is Dublin . I still can't believe they made me wait for a concert that doesn't fit in the damn arena. I wonder if December is really going to happen or not (the media seems absolutely confident they'll play in the end of the year in 3Arena), but it's August and no strong rumour is up... :sad:

If they're indeed going to release SoE earlier next year, is a fine idea. What is a better promo than a tour?

The reason they're not doing Australia until 2017 is that they are old now, and can afford to stretch the tour out over 3 years. If they're doing arenas again in NA and Europe, that'll probably bring the show total to 150 or so. Throw in Asia, Australia, South America, etc, this tour may reach 200 shows! But spreading that out over 3 years is better for them than doing another elevation or vertigo, where they did like 120 shows from March-december

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

In 2017 they'll celebrate the 20th anniversary, remastered release of Pop. They'll play 6 Pop songs a night.

Did Playboy Mansion and One Step Closer ever make it past the early rehearsals in Vancouver? OSC sounded so good, it's such a bummer they didn't play it. Playboy Mansion would've been really cool on the e stage, maybe paired with TCB...

Where can I find a recording of OSC in the Vancouver rehearsal? That'll be the equivalent of Drowning Man from the pre360 rehearsals (aka the closest we'll ever get to a live version).

One Step Closer starts at 6:46

Shame there seems to be no audio of Playboy Mansion anywhere..

Last edited:
Heard this morning on the Opie and Jim show on Sirius radio, Matt Pinfield (heard he's like a close source to the band and has interviewed them a number of times, and former MTV host) saying U2 will return to NYC next year for a couple shows :up: Didn't elaborate on any other tour dates for North America but NYC was 100% happening.

Heard this morning on the Opie and Jim show on Sirius radio, Matt Pinfield (heard he's like a close source to the band and has interviewed them a number of times, and former MTV host) saying U2 will return to NYC next year for a couple shows :up: Didn't elaborate on any other tour dates for North America but NYC was 100% happening.

LOL, thanks for simultaneously getting my hopes up (U2 to return to previously played cities in 2016 :up:) and not (no mention of U2 returning anywhere other than NYC :down:).

:up:

LOL, thanks for simultaneously getting my hopes up (U2 to return to previously played cities in 2016 :up:) and not (no mention of U2 returning anywhere other than NYC :down:).

Next year's tour city organization will likely end up being very similar to Vertigo 2005. Note the repeating cities and the new cities:

Leg One:
San Diego
Anaheim
Los Angeles
San Jose
Glendale
Denver
Seattle
Vancouver
Chicago
Philadelphia
New York
Boston

Leg Three:

Toronto
Chicago (Repeat)
Minneapolis
Milwaukee
Boston (Repeat)
New York (Repeat)
Philadelphia (Repeat)
Washington D.C
Detroit
Houston
Dallas
Los Angeles (Repeat)
San Francisco
Miami
Tampa
Atlanta
New York (AGAIN)
Ottawa
Montreal
Boston (Repeat)
Hartford
Buffalo
Cleveland
Charlotte
St Louis
Salt Lake City
Portland

If they wanted to travel less and do more residencies, they could cluster the following into one city for more nights:

Minneapolis
Milwaukee
Detroit

Houston
Dallas

Miami
Tampa

etc etc.

Last edited:
Has the talk of US Stadiums out of the picture? More so than ever after seeing this tour, I really like U2 in arena's a lot better, I've always believed this but after this tour I'm 100% sure.

Agree 5000%. Arenas are so much better.

I did not enjoy any of my 360 shows (with the exception of Giants Stadium- Leg 1) nearly as much as the I+E gigs.

Meh, I don't really care about stadium vs arena, because I'm always close enough that it doesn't matter. My biggest problem with 360 was that they had this huge stage... and it didn't really do anything. It was just big. The half assed tie-in to space and astronomy was stupid, and a half baked concept. The song selection was very adult contemporary, and I felt especially the 2009 shows needed more rockers.

However, I did get to hear Ultraviolet, Unforgettable Fire, Zooropa, Scarlet, HMTMKMKM and perhaps the biggest WTF moment of my U2 concert career, Your Blue Room. 360 wasn't all that bad, but this tour is the best since Elevation for me.

yeah, anyone who got to hear Zooropa, Your Blue Room and Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me on that tour is not allowed to complain about ANY aspect of the show!! :wink:

Still bitter that YBR had left the setlist and Zooropa hadn't arrived yet when they came to Australia.

The one time it would've been beneficial to be at the arse end of the tour, and we find ourselves in the middle instead.

Meh, I don't really care about stadium vs arena, because I'm always close enough that it doesn't matter. My biggest problem with 360 was that they had this huge stage... and it didn't really do anything. It was just big. The half assed tie-in to space and astronomy was stupid, and a half baked concept. The song selection was very adult contemporary, and I felt especially the 2009 shows needed more rockers.

However, I did get to hear Ultraviolet, Unforgettable Fire, Zooropa, Scarlet, HMTMKMKM and perhaps the biggest WTF moment of my U2 concert career, Your Blue Room. 360 wasn't all that bad, but this tour is the best since Elevation for me.

Great post ?

Especially the space and astronomy bit.

At least you guys know something about the Australian dates. SA is still in jeopardy with the whole arena/stadiuns thing.

What bugs me the most is Dublin . I still can't believe they made me wait for a concert that doesn't fit in the damn arena. I wonder if December is really going to happen or not (the media seems absolutely confident they'll play in the end of the year in 3Arena), but it's August and no strong rumour is up... :sad:

If they're indeed going to release SoE earlier next year, is a fine idea. What is a better promo than a tour?

And what happened to our unused presale codes that I was keeping for Dublin?! Now disappeared from u2.com!

And what happened to our unused presale codes that I was keeping for Dublin?! Now disappeared from u2.com!

My codes performed a disappeared act as well. It's gone for a while now... I don't know if it means we won't need them for a while or something...

Well, next time I won't hold them anymore. I waited for Dublin and got nothing (or at least it seems like it).

360 wasn't all that bad, but this tour is the best since Elevation for me.

Agreed. My son asked me last night what my favorite tour was. I told him that it was this one, because we took him and his brother for the first time. But putting that personal highlight aside, I might go with Elevation. The positive, uplifting vibe of that show had me feeling like I was walking on air for weeks. And the post-911 shows on Leg3 somehow managed to keep that feeling, while still being emotionally wrenching.

The post 9/11 shows were, uplifting, gut-wrenching, emotionally charged and finally cathartic for me. Personally and in my professional life I was teetering on the abyss, losing friends in WTC was it for me, seeing these shows somehow righted the ship for me, at least just a little bit.... singing hallelujah at the end of Walk On lifted me up out of the pit....

How about Bonnaroo? The festival owners have talked about wanting to book U2 for the fest in a few of their Reddit AMA's. I think it'd be very cool to see them at the farm. And if they are in the US at all next spring/summer, I really think they'd play at one of the big fests in America, especially considering how they're wanting to reach a larger, younger market. I think it'd also help reach those people who just look at U2 as the guys who shoved an album onto their iPhones and despise them for it.

I'm completely biased towards the slight possibility of them playing a California based festival because of the location but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they chose Bonnaroo. I'd definitely try to go. It's been on my music festival bucket list ever since The Police played that fest.

More realistically I am trying to prepare for a Xmas time presale even though that'd be Awful. I'm a tad bummed about the whole Japan/Argentina unlikelihood too! I was so broke during Vertigo that I couldn't fathom the possibility of an out of country destination show. I loved everything that I saw online about the shows in those countries.

Anyway I'm just echoing everyone's curiosity of what will actually happen :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom