2016 Rumour Dates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They're not using the Vertigo outdoor stage for any potential stadium leg of this tour.

I mean... the fuck?

Well this... and nobody has yet to remind the poster that one is usually gently asked to cite sources and references when posting this type of information... especially given the post count, but I digress.

That said, I once stumbled on a non-U2 website that was selling the Claw from 360 -- I just looked and could not find it again.

So, to sum up, seems like more shows in '16 and possibly '17 but not a lot of facts or cited sources to confirm any dates.

There may or may not be a Raiders of the Lost Ark like museum somewhere in Ireland with all kinds of stage structures, wires and lights to be re-used... a sort of U2 Willie Williams Lego Land Playground.:wink:

They're not using the Vertigo outdoor stage for any potential stadium leg of this tour.

I mean... the fuck?

Not the exact same setup. It will look nothing like the Vertigo Tour. But the same nuts and bolts of the stage? Possibly. It can be assumed that U2 have the parts of the stage still laying around in storage somewhere. For a standard end stage stadium setup, Vertigo was a very basic design.

U2 used the same stage for arena show on JT, LT, Zoo and Elevation. By which I mean the part where the band stood and played was the same, with the same entrances/exits, with Dallas' world being in the same spot, etc. But they sure figured out how to dress it up differently, didn't they?

You need to chill out.

Didn't they say they wanted a museum with all of their stages set up? That would lead me to believe they at least have the ability to recreate these stages. I'd fly to Ireland to see that museum!

Since when has this band been in the business of reusing previously used stage set ups?

U2 has used the same basic stage core for many of their tours since Joshua Tree (excepting stadium extravaganzas like 360, ZooTV, and PopMart). The main stage being used for I+E is the same assembly used in the mid-to-late 80s.

For all their extravagance, U2 possesses a tiny kernel of responsible frugality. I credit Paul McGuiness for this behavior.

U2 used the same stage for arena show on JT, LT, Zoo and Elevation. By which I mean the part where the band stood and played was the same, with the same entrances/exits, with Dallas' world being in the same spot, etc. But they sure figured out how to dress it up differently, didn't they?

Bingo. The I+E arena rig will not transfer cleanly to a stadium setting, so they'll be probably be looking to utilize existing elements that can be repurposed economically to create a unique experience that suggests the I+E arena feel.

The 360 claw will NOT be used, as it is simply too damn expensive to transport, erect, use, and strike. Whatever stage environment is used, the band will be in European stadiums next summer.

I know a band who toured China, sent in a bunch of songs, got approval to play them - and then proceeded to play setlists with whatever the hell they felt like.

But they were playing to tiny clubs of about 100-200 people, so they could get away with it. A band of U2's stature, probably not.

Chinese Government Censors Rolling Stones Set List | Billboard

Harry Connick Jr. plays solo after Chinese officials censor playlist - Arts & Entertainment - CBC News

Because u2 did some Tibet stuff in the late 90's they will be scrutinized closely. Stones had 4 songs on the no-go list but mostly for "sexual" content which isn't at the forefront of any u2 lyric. The political stuff(think SBS/Pride) in u2's current set is where things will get very interesting.

u2 also has to submit their setlist in advance, even if they get 30 songs approved, it's hard to see u2 going along with it. Doing "banned" songs anyways would be counterproductive and the Chinese government changed rules for ALL foreign acts after Bjork went very off script about Tibet at a Chinese show.

Bingo. The I+E arena rig will not transfer cleanly to a stadium setting, so they'll be probably be looking to utilize existing elements that can be repurposed economically to create a unique experience that suggests the I+E arena feel.

The 360 claw will NOT be used, as it is simply too damn expensive to transport, erect, use, and strike. Whatever stage environment is used, the band will be in European stadiums next summer.

In theory, the IE screen is relative light and wouldn't need an excessive amount of scaffolding for a stadium show. I don't think they'd HAVE to change the show much more than they changed the Vertigo show for Stadiums in 2005.

Not a chance. Not after Glastonbury.

Guns & Roses, Neil Young and Prince are bigger liabilities than u2 and they keep getting booked for major festivals. There's always some comparative sized act not working that weekend that could get serious press mileage for "saving the day from U2 cancellation like Muse in 2010" if given at least a weeks notice.

The thing is is that if they want to stay relevant, they have to play festivals. I'm 20 and most people that I know don't go see concerts by a single band anymore, most go to music festivals. If they want to connect with a younger generation, they have to play Coachella, Sasquatch, Outside Lands, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Exactly. The best way to gain relevance is to play one of the major festivals. Coachella, Bonnaroo, Lolla in the US, and the big Euro fests. While I'd love to see them at Coachella, I think Lolla is more likely given the Live Nation contract.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

In theory, the IE screen is relative light and wouldn't need an excessive amount of scaffolding for a stadium show. I don't think they'd HAVE to change the show much more than they changed the Vertigo show for Stadiums in 2005.

How about the sound system, which is suspended from the ceiling?

Well they'd obviously have to do something different for the sound. But the screen could just be held up by a series of poles, and hydraulic cylinders could handle the raising and lowering. I'm no engineer, but I'd think they could work with that. It's possible.

Exactly. The best way to gain relevance is to play one of the major festivals. Coachella, Bonnaroo, Lolla in the US, and the big Euro fests. While I'd love to see them at Coachella, I think Lolla is more likely given the Live Nation contract.

I confess that I am usually frustrated by the festival experience. More often than not, the bands are 1) playing an abbreviated set, 2) on an unfamiliar stage, 3) playing through an unfamiliar PA and monitor rig, 4) not using the production elements that they would normally use, and 5) I can't get anywhere near the stage. Add to that the general misery of getting there, parking, lack of seating, heat, dust, and hordes of freaky people, and I'd rather stay away. (Although, admittedly, I'm old and rich comfortable, so I would not expect some of you young whippersnappers to share my opinions.)

Here's the other thing about festivals that I suspect happens, at least here in Austin, a mid-sized market and home of the ACL Festival. Once a band plays at ACL, they scratch Austin off of their list of potential venues as "done," and don't return for a proper show on that tour.

U2 has used the same basic stage core for many of their tours since Joshua Tree (excepting stadium extravaganzas like 360, ZooTV, and PopMart). The main stage being used for I+E is the same assembly used in the mid-to-late 80s.

For all their extravagance, U2 possesses a tiny kernel of responsible frugality. I credit Paul McGuiness for this behavior.

Not the exact same setup. It will look nothing like the Vertigo Tour. But the same nuts and bolts of the stage? Possibly. It can be assumed that U2 have the parts of the stage still laying around in storage somewhere. For a standard end stage stadium setup, Vertigo was a very basic design.

You need to chill out.

???

no.

sure, some of the elements of the stage were similar. there's only so many things you can do with a rectangular shaped stage. but a simple look at the stages will show that they absolutely weren't the same stages.

is it possible that some parts were recycled for use on other tours? I mean sure, i guess that's possible. But in no way did they use the same base staging from ZooTV all the way till today. Anyone with eyes can see that.

Here's the other thing about festivals that I suspect happens, at least here in Austin, a mid-sized market and home of the ACL Festival. Once a band plays at ACL, they scratch Austin off of their list of potential venues as "done," and don't return for a proper show on that tour.

6 months before/after. Austin wasn't getting an arena/stadium show anyways and Lolla 2016 would be 14 months after 5 arena shows. Ditto LA/Coachella. Edge attended Coachella 2015 and Bono was at an EDUN Coachella after party several years earlier but unconfirmed if he attended the festival proper.

How about the sound system, which is suspended from the ceiling?

Popmart had relay towers. Then another 2 stacks by the main stage.

is it possible that some parts were recycled for use on other tours? I mean sure, i guess that's possible. But in no way did they use the same base staging from ZooTV all the way till today. Anyone with eyes can see that.

Pretty sure JT/LT/Zoo arena/Elvation used the same mainstage pulled from storage. Might even be the same stage in 2015. Vertigo arenas was unique.

Lots of stages get recycled between different acts for decades.

Guns & Roses, Neil Young and Prince are bigger liabilities than u2 and they keep getting booked for major festivals. There's always some comparative sized act not working that weekend that could get serious press mileage for "saving the day from U2 cancellation like Muse in 2010" if given at least a weeks notice.

It's not about them being liabilities but rather one has to ask if they were happy with their Glastonbury performance? To me they never looked comfortable and didn't hit it off with the audience. The rain didn't help.

But playing festivals would make sense given they always want to push their music out to new people and a festival crowd is just that. And in lieu of no longer selling millions of albums what other chance is there for a band like U2 to find new listeners?

Yeah, the Coachella radius clause is around 3-4 months on either side of the festival. Last year Arcade Fire played two Forum shows in August after headlining Coachella in April. For the LA market at least, bands will come back in the Fall after playing Coachella. For smaller markets that may not necessarily be the case.

Madonna did play Coachella, but didn't headline. This year, AC/DC kicked Coachella's ass. They were amazing. And the crowd loved it. My friends who were not fans raved about the set. I know the U2 could do that.

I confess that I am usually frustrated by the festival experience. More often than not, the bands are 1) playing an abbreviated set, 2) on an unfamiliar stage, 3) playing through an unfamiliar PA and monitor rig, 4) not using the production elements that they would normally use, and 5) I can't get anywhere near the stage. Add to that the general misery of getting there, parking, lack of seating, heat, dust, and hordes of freaky people, and I'd rather stay away. (Although, admittedly, I'm old and rich comfortable, so I would not expect some of you young whippersnappers to share my opinions.)

Oh I don't like festivals either. I'm just saying that if U2 wants to connect with a younger audience, they have to play festivals. Yes, Glastonbury didn't go well, but I'm sure that experience taught them something about playing modern festivals. If they want to stay relevant, they have to play festivals.

Pretty sure JT/LT/Zoo arena/Elvation used the same mainstage pulled from storage. Might even be the same stage in 2015. Vertigo arenas was unique.

Lots of stages get recycled between different acts for decades.

So they cut holes in the stage for Elevation to fit the ramp? Cause it cuts right through the stage...

The first five were all around Columbus Day weekend I believe, and the last two were the week of Thanksgiving.

I can't remember much about each one individually either, other than that the October shows had Mary J do One at one of them and the November shows had Patti Smith.

I wanna say the shows were Friday Saturday Monday Tuesday Friday in October :hmm:

That Monday show was my favorite show up until the show MetLife on 360

Mary J Bilge appeared at the Saturday, October 8th show. Bono had the audience sing Happy Birthday to Gavin Friday via cellphone, and he yelled at a fan he thought was talking on a cellphone during a song. (That fan posted on here afterwards, he sounded like a nice guy and he wasn't talking on that phone.) I was the setlist reporter who was texting the songs to Lila, who then posted them on this site. The show ended with '40' and we sang them off the stage. My favorite show of the five I saw during that tour, and meeting Adam Clayton when he arrived at MSG probably had something to do with my happy memories nearly 10 years later.

For 2016, I'll be happy as long as there are Florida and Virginia / DC shows. Don't know which one I'll be at in the Summer (assuming that's when they come back) but I want to cover my bases.

So they cut holes in the stage for Elevation to fit the ramp? Cause it cuts right through the stage...

The stage can obviously be modified. Somebody in that U2 Show book confirmed that they had used the same basic stage for all the arena shows since either UF or JT. It was somebody that would know who said it, possibly willie Williams? It's a real thing, not speculation. Not sure why it bothers you so much.

That book came out after elevation. Vertigo tour I think had a new stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom