The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They stayed indoors for Europe on Elevation so its always possible they made decide to do it.

4 shows on that run were outdoors. Plus there was a 2002 Euro Stadium run booked but never announced, which I think was hinted at in one of the Elevation tour books.

4 shows on that run were outdoors. Plus there was a 2002 Euro Stadium run booked but never announced, which I think was hinted at in one of the Elevation tour books.

Right. They were very aware that they were not meeting the demand in 2001 in Europe. The arena shows in 2001 were an appetizer for the proposed main course, a stadium run through summer 2002. I'm not really sure why they opted out of said 2002 tour, they certainly could've sold the tickets. Also South America and Mexico were rumored in fall of 2002. Here's the list from another thread years ago about this topic.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands - July 19-20, 2002 (Ajax Arena)
Gothenburg, Sweden - July 23, 2002 (Ullevi Stadium)
Brussels, Belgium - August 1, 2002 (King Baudoin Stadium)
Zagreb, Croatia - August 9, 2002 (Hipodrome) OR August 15 (Dinamo Stadium)
Vienna, Austria - August 12, 2002 (Ernst Happel Stadion)
Sarajevo, Bosnia - August 18, 2002
Nice, France - August 20, 2002
Marseilles, France August 22, 2002 (Stade Velodrome de Marseille)
San Sebastian, Spain - August 24, 2002 (Anoeta Stadium)
Saint-Denis, France - August 29, 2002 (Stade de France)

Oslo, Norway - Valle Hovin Stadium (Summer 2002)
Switzerland - Expo 02 site (summer 2002)
Gelsenkirchen, Germany - July/August, 2002 (Schalke Arena)
Stuttgart, Germany - July/August, 2002 (Canstadter Wasen)
Hannover, Germany - July/August, 2002 (Niedersachsenstadion)
Munich / Mannheim, Germany - July/August, 2002
Prague, Czech Republic - Summer, 2002
V2002 Festival, England - August 16-18, 2002
London - Summer, 2002 (Hyde Park)
Portugal - August 24, 2002 (Alvalade Stadium)
Madrid, Spain - Summer, 2002 (Bernabeu Stadium)
Barcelona, Spain - July/August, 2002
Italy - Summer, 2002
Mexico City - October 2002
South America - October 2002

Wasn't the excuse that they got stuck into recording and thought they'd churn out another album quickly?

In hindsight: Hahahaha. Ha ha. Ha.

The MN Vikings new stadium opens in July of 2016. I'd love for U2 to break it in for a Minneapolis stadium show.
(TCF Stadium sold-out and was over capacity on the floor for 360, so bigger is possible.)

Minnesota Vikings | Frequently Asked Questions

That would be cool, but I don't think it will happen. Take Denver as an example. They played to nearly 80,000 people at a single show in Denver on 360, but with two arena shows booked in Denver this time, they have failed to sellout all 37,000 tickets that are available for the two shows combined. A single stadium show would never top 40,000 which is half of what they did on 360. Unless U2 have a hit song within the next year, they will be playing arenas when they visit Minneapolis next year.

I got some great news. My aun says if they dont play MIami, she will take me to see them in another city... but as I am new in all this, and I am not a paid subscriber for u2.com. I am wondering: when the tickets are on sae for norma peope, how long before the show should I buy them and whats the better site to get them. Thannks

I suppose it's possible that the somewhat weaker ticket sales have made them more cautious and they now will stay in arenas - but that's surely unnecessary in Europe. On Vertigo they were willing to go to the expense of creating a new stage for outdoor shows in Europe/Latin America/Australasia, so I don't see why they wouldn't this time even if they think they have to stick to arenas in the US and Canada.

Agree completely...seems they have a tendency to overplay US/UK and underplay Europe...
The speed at which tickets went away in Netherlands (4x17,000 in Amsterdam was sold in minutes, I never came through the computer system), Belgium, France, Scandinavia is amazing.

Would hardly say the UK has been overplayed the last couple of tours to be fair, they skip a lot of cities they could easily play

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Here's what I think we could see in 2016, possibly into 2017. This is based on the logical prediction that U2 will do arenas in North America and stadiums in South America, Europe and Australia/NZ. Obviously not all these will happen, but they could happen, as in U2 could probably sell out all these shows.

North America arena:
NYC x 2 (an arena that isn't MSG, like Prudential Center or Barclays Center)
Philadelphia x 2
Washington DC x 2
Atlanta x 2
Miami x 2
Hartford (possibly x2 if no Boston gigs)
Tampa
Nashville
Cleveland
Pittsburgh
Buffalo
Detroit
Columbus/Cincinnati/Louisville/Indianapolis (only 1 show somewhere in this general area. I really hope this happens, as I live not far from all these cities)
Milwaukee
Minneapolis
St. Louis
Kansas City or Omaha
Dallas x2
Houston
Oklahoma City or Tulsa
Las Vegas x 2
San Diego
Los Angeles x2 (different arena, Staples Center or Honda Center)
Oakland
Sacramento
Salt Lake City
Portland
Seattle
Edmonton or Calgary x 2
Winnipeg
Toronto x 2

That's 40 possible shows in US/Canada arenas. Obviously not all of those will happen, but a 30-40 arena show NA leg is very doable.

Europe stadiums:
Lisbon
Madrid
One other Spanish city (Bilbao, San Sebastian, Seville)
Paris x 2
South of France (Lyon, Nice, Marseille)
Milan
Rome
One other Italian city (Florence, Padova, or maybe just a 2nd show in Milan)
Vienna
Zurich
Munich
Frankfurt
Hamburg
Copenhagen
Oslo
Helsinki
Poland
Athens
Former Yugoslavia area show (Sarajevo, Zagreb, Belgrade)
Budapest
Rotterdam x 2
Dublin x 2-3
U.K. - 4-5 shows (Manchester, Birmingham, Cardiff, Newcastle, London)
That's over 30 shows right there, which seems about right.

Latin America:
Mexico- 3
Brazil- 3-4
Argentina- 2-3
Chile- 1
Peru- 1
Columbia-1
Uruguay- 1

Australia:
Perth x 2
Sydney x2
Melbourne x2
Brisbane
Adelaide
Auckland x2

Asia arenas:
Tokyo- Possibly a series of 3-4 arena show
China- Beijing, Shanghai, Macau/Hong Kong
Singapore
Thailand
Manila
Dubai

We have roughly 100 shows here that COULD be done, but obviously they all won't. I can see this going into 2017 for sure, there's just not enough time in 2016. If they were younger they could do it in a year, but I don't think they will.

How did you get to Rotterdam on that list? That is NEVER going to happen, concerts are a no go at the Kuip because the structures can't handle it. The only stadium in the Netherlands that U2 will go to is the Amsterdam ArenA. :)

That would be cool, but I don't think it will happen. Take Denver as an example. They played to nearly 80,000 people at a single show in Denver on 360, but with two arena shows booked in Denver this time, they have failed to sellout all 37,000 tickets that are available for the two shows combined. A single stadium show would never top 40,000 which is half of what they did on 360. Unless U2 have a hit song within the next year, they will be playing arenas when they visit Minneapolis next year.

The thing to remember is that there were way more cheap tickets for that single stadium show than the two arena shows combined. They'd sell out instantly if all tickets were GA price

The thing to remember is that there were way more cheap tickets for that single stadium show than the two arena shows combined. They'd sell out instantly if all tickets were GA price

Stubhub has shown otherwise when it comes cheap arena nosebleeds.

Even for opening night there's been ticket drops in the $100 range that seem to stick around for awhile.

Stubhub has shown otherwise when it comes cheap arena nosebleeds.

Even for opening night there's been ticket drops in the $100 range that seem to stick around for awhile.

Huh. Didn't know that. I thought it was only $200+ seats that were left except for the occasional singles here and there

Huh. Didn't know that. I thought it was only $200+ seats that were left except for the occasional singles here and there

Cheapest singles for both Vancouver shows are $300. There were some $100ish stuff up for a couple days.

If only fans knew the stage layout, there's $300/each that are 4 rows up from Edge on the main stage that have been sitting there 72 hours now. Did I mention they are transferable HARD tickets?

How did you get to Rotterdam on that list? That is NEVER going to happen, concerts are a no go at the Kuip because the structures can't handle it. The only stadium in the Netherlands that U2 will go to is the Amsterdam ArenA. :)

[Pardon the off-topic:] Out of curiosity, is that a fairly recent thing? Didn't Kane play there in 2008.

Oh god, that was 7 years ago... :reject:

I just kind of assumed that with 4 Amsterdam shows this year they MIGHT play a stadium show in another Netherlands city, and Rotterdam seemed the ideal logical choice. But I was unaware that stadium wasn't allowing concerts any longer.

I'm just guessing here, people.

If only fans knew the stage layout, there's $300/each that are 4 rows up from Edge on the main stage that have been sitting there 72 hours now. Did I mention they are transferable HARD tickets?

I'm not sure I understand. You mean to say they'd be sold out if fans knew the stage layout? Even though I'm travelling to three different countries catching five shows this year, 300 dollars for a seat is a bit much I think. Now I'm still at university and if made more money I might have felt differently, but I think by and large the reason it's not sold out yet is the price

I'm not sure I understand. You mean to say they'd be sold out if fans knew the stage layout? Even though I'm travelling to three different countries catching five shows this year, 300 dollars for a seat is a bit much I think. Now I'm still at university and if made more money I might have felt differently, but I think by and large the reason it's not sold out yet is the price

Value is always relative, but some of those same seats were $1,000 each on stubhub 2 weeks ago.

[Pardon the off-topic:] Out of curiosity, is that a fairly recent thing? Didn't Kane play there in 2008.

Oh god, that was 7 years ago... :reject:
It was right after the Doe Maar series, you saw the 2nd to last concert there ever. :)
Lijst van concerten in Stadion Feijenoord - Wikipedia

I just kind of assumed that with 4 Amsterdam shows this year they MIGHT play a stadium show in another Netherlands city, and Rotterdam seemed the ideal logical choice. But I was unaware that stadium wasn't allowing concerts any longer.

I'm just guessing here, people.

Was just curious if you had more info. It's been a big point of discussion for years wether they are going to rebuild a new Kuip or renovate the old one. But until then it's pretty safe to say there won't be any gigs there.

:shifty: And I might just be a weeee bit biased towards Amsterdam as it's a 30 minute train ride from my hometown and home to the best football club of the Netherlands, of course. :wink:

Only other big stadium we have is the Philips Stadium in Eindhoven, but that has considerably less seats, is located in the south rather than the middle of the country, and I'm not even sure they have gigs there. :hmm: So for Dutch gigs there isn't really another option than Amsterdam right now. For Elevation they did the Gelredome, which is a much smaller stadium with a roof, so it counted as an arena. :wink:

A hint of what's next to come? Maybe.

In this article,
New U2 album could be finished later this year - The Edge - Independent.ie

When asked about whether SOE could have a short Zooropa-esque turn around, Edge is quoted as saying "whether we feel it is worth pushing for within the ten weeks that we have at the end of this tour".

So what happens after 10 weeks from the conclusion of the tour in Paris? 10 weeks will take us to the beginning of February. Another touring leg, possibly in Latin America, or Oceania. I hope so!

Back
Top Bottom