2015 U2 Tour - General Discussion Thread VII

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy shit this is brilliant. Can we have a Rotisserie baseball style draft where we each have 24 song slots and a certain amount of dollars to spend on tickets and we bid on songs? Someone make this happen.

A couple months back we did a regular draft format where you could only pick a song after 3 other people posted. Then we took all our picks and created a setlist it was a fun exercise. It's too tough to do a Snake Draft unless everybody agreed on a set time to do it.

This time I just want to see the 'market/stock price' for a song live based on everybody's opinion. If the starting point is IWF = $10 (I've seen it at every show I have attended). Here are my prices for live tracks based on the price.

Vertigo = $15
Stuck in a Moment = $1
Bad = $55
Reach Around = $90
Mofo = $125
God Part II = $190
Acrobat = $450
Grace = $0.13

A couple months back we did a regular draft format where you could only pick a song after 3 other people posted. Then we took all our picks and created a setlist it was a fun exercise. It's too tough to do a Snake Draft unless everybody agreed on a set time to do it.

This time I just want to see the 'market/stock price' for a song live based on everybody's opinion. If the starting point is IWF = $10 (I've seen it at every show I have attended). Here are my prices for live tracks based on the price.

Vertigo = $15
Stuck in a Moment = $1
Bad = $55
Reach Around = $90
Mofo = $125
God Part II = $190
Acrobat = $450
Grace = $0.13

I prefer Rotisserie fantasy baseball because I like the auction part of it. We should do a Rotisserie style draft rather than a regular style draft. We could cap the draft at 10 people who each get 24 songs, for a total of 240 songs. Each person gets a certain amount of money, like say $300 for a ticket and then the 10 people bid on each song that comes up at a certain time each day. You could choose 10 songs a day to bid on. All someone would have to do is create a list of songs and choose 10 people to participate.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Could you guys make a separate thread for U2 fantasy setlist or whatever? It's kind of a cool concept, but give it its own thread.

Could you guys make a separate thread for U2 fantasy setlist or whatever? It's kind of a cool concept, but give it its own thread.

Didn't think two posts warranted a whole new thread, I just wanted to share a concept, but I'll probably start a new thread if we take this farther.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Well, it carried over from the last thread, and of course I meant if you were going to do some drawn-out thing, I thought it warranted its own thread.

Usually the two of us are fighting over Global Warming now we're pricing songs.

I started on the last thread that a ticket could become more or less valuable if you knew the setlist. IE less valuable if you had Stuck instead of One Tree Hill. How much would you pay to a base ticket price if you knew you were going to get a gem.

I know we've moved on, but I admit to mild trolling with the ATYCLB comments from before. Don't take me so seriously. ;-)

That said, it's still, easily, the most universally beloved U2 album since 1992.

As they were, pretty much unarguably, the biggest band in the world again it was an achievement.
No amount of U2 2000 bashing on Interference will change that.

Actually, there were bigger bands commercially in 2000. U2 being the biggest band in the world back then is hardly "unarguable" and if one thinks that, maybe one should stop listening to Bono that much. It's just that those other bands were pretty much awful and didn't have U2's longevity.

Last edited:
Yes Cobbler, Outkast are awful indeed.

:wink:

There were also bigger acts commercially in the late 80s and definitely during the early 90s
but I don't think anyone would mistake any other band than U2 being the biggest band in the world back then either.
Bono does talk a lot of hyperbole, but that doesn't mean that once in a while, if only by accident, he is right.

That's not particularly an achievement, given either company or context or both.

That's pretty harsh. If you like it or not is up to you, an I agree that it's a long way from the more esoteric musings of Zooropa, but to dismiss a massively popular band in their 40s putting out a popular, successful, awarded album and even more successful tour and at least one if not two classic songs on an album that, nearly a year later, weirdly addressed mass death on the streets of NYC and their willingness to continue to tour when others (Janet Jackson) wouldn't doesn't qualify as an achievement, what does?

Vertigo = $15
Stuck in a Moment = $1
Bad = $55
Reach Around = $90
Mofo = $125
God Part II = $190
Acrobat = $450
Grace = $0.13

I'd cash out my 401K for ASOH, Discotheque, Mofo and Gone.

My big money song would be One Tree Hill. 21 shows since 1987 and ZERO performances. My price $150. Not sure I would value any other song higher than that - but a close second would be ASOH (never seen it) at say, $140.

That's pretty harsh. If you like it or not is up to you, an I agree that it's a long way from the more esoteric musings of Zooropa, but to dismiss a massively popular band in their 40s putting out a popular, successful, awarded album and even more successful tour and at least one if not two classic songs on an album that, nearly a year later, weirdly addressed mass death on the streets of NYC and their willingness to continue to tour when others (Janet Jackson) wouldn't doesn't qualify as an achievement, what does?

It's an achievement, yeah. A very US-centric achievement as you state it here, but an achievement nonetheless.

Ultimately, it all comes down to is that I really don't particularly care how the music I like is perceived by the general public. The term "general public" is way too broad and abstract anyway. I come from a heavier rock music background. This album was the beginning of the end not just for me, but for many other such enthusiasts who didn't consider U2 as having many of the stereotypes that are today (rightly) attributed to them. Those attributes being ridiculously schmaltzy, cheaply sentimental and overtly commercial. And I realise this demographic likely represents a very small part of the spectrum (which did increase after ATYCLB though).

In my own silly little personal world, that album is hardly an achievement, and if the "general public" indeed thinks otherwise - good on them.

Between commercial, critical and touring... Yea, U2 were easily the biggest band in the world once again from the release of Beautiful Day through the Vertigo tour.

Very true.
I think in the big scheme of music history, it's pretty amazing that our boys have pretty much held that "top" spot for at least 13 years... Some may argue even more. For a BAND, not a single artist (ie. Michael Jackson, Beyonce, etc...) that is an amazing feat.

87-94 and then again 00-06.

That line comes solely from that Bono comment about reapplying for the top job.

And that line is often misquoted by nearly everyone. Bono never said that they were reapplying for the job of biggest band in the world. They were aiming for best band in the world.

I don't think U2 were anywhere near the "best" back then (I remember listening to Kid A that same month and thinking "Fuck, U2 have really regressed..."), but they were certainly the biggest. They got the soccer moms and the AARP members and all the college kids who hated nu metal flocking to their banner. They presented themselves as fun and dumb and accessible. And it worked. Kudos to them.

I don't think U2 were anywhere near the "best" back then (I remember listening to Kid A that same month and thinking "Fuck, U2 have really regressed..."), but they were certainly the biggest. They got the soccer moms and the AARP members and all the college kids who hated nu metal flocking to their banner. They presented themselves as fun and dumb and accessible. And it worked. Kudos to them.

Dumb? Really? Songs about death and Burma and religious hypocrisy and orgasm-as-epiphany and buying real estate in New York? That's dumb?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom