2015 U2 Tour - General Discussion Thread VII

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think U2 were anywhere near the "best" back then (I remember listening to Kid A that same month and thinking "Fuck, U2 have really regressed..."), but they were certainly the biggest. They got the soccer moms and the AARP members and all the college kids who hated nu metal flocking to their banner. They presented themselves as fun and dumb and accessible. And it worked. Kudos to them.

Even Radiohead would disagree with you, as Johnny praised Stuck in an interview back then.

But yes, Kid A is absolutely amazing and the last time Radiohead did something amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Even Radiohead would disagree with you, as Johnny praised Stuck in an interview back then.

But yes, Kid A is absolutely amazing and the last time Radiohead did something amazing.

In Rainbows is one of the best of their career.

Sent from my SM-G925V using U2 Interference mobile app

In Rainbows is one of the best of their career.

Sent from my SM-G925V using U2 Interference mobile app

In Rainbows finally got me into the band, after a bunch of false starts. I was a late bloomer.

Muse doesn't even begin to compare to Radiohead, Good lord. Pretty sure I would have said that, even pre-In Rainbows, and me finally getting it. Not even in the same stratosphere.

Well of course you can't compare Kid A to ATYCLB any more than you could compare Pop to OK Computer. That's a strange standard to set for U2.

Wasnt it at an award ceremony when Bono said the "where re applying for the biggest band in the world job". Was it inbetween beautiful day and the album came out

The atyclb era was when i got into u2,i was 14 at the time. U2 were cool at school with people my age. Im from the uk and there was alot of kids into u2 then. U2 were classed among the big relevent artists at that time. They were always on mtv and all the award shows. I remember bbc radio being all over u2. Even the NME loved u2. None of this Bono hate was about then,not to the scale it is now anyway

2000-2005 u2 were massive here in the uk. All their singles went number 1 or they were guaranteed top 5. Like i said after 2005 it was cool to hate u2 and to hate bono even more!

Why u2 never did glastonbury or any other uk festivals in that period ill never know. They would have gone down a storm!

Radiohead were unlistenable, the most overrated band in history. Something like Muse today.

tumblr_mep6sntUZu1qam9vgo1_500_zpsea9f05a7.gif

I think IR is great, but not amazing. After IR :(

King of Limbs was such a letdown, and it's been radio silence (no pun intended?) from Radiohead since the tour ended. Are they even working on the next album?

Can someone remind me about when the band is arriving at the venues? Like, 2:30-5ish? Or a more narrow window? Considering arriving early tomorrow to maybe get something signed.

Anyone who doesn't like Radiohead is terrible and can leave this thread immediately :wave:

Lol - I like 'em, but I get people that don't, especially their more electronic-type stuff. But at least be constructive about it(not you of course, I'm referring to the dude that trolls all over here)

Example...I saw the Stones on Tuesday, so I'm on one of their more well known boards. Sure enough, a thread about how much they have grossed the last few years has devolved into U2 bashing because the Irish boys are second to none nowadays.

https://www.iorr.org/talk/read.php?1,2201640

Punks.

Someone on that thread saw U2 on the Boy tour(!), complained that they didn't have much material and hasn't been interested since :coocoo:

Does anyone know what section of this forum that I may find the lyric/rant that Bono says during "Bullet" on this tour. Thanks

I promise I will give another try to KID A, but it will be a hard work to get through Thom Yorke.

As someone who took a long time to become a Radiohead fan, don't attempt Kid A as your entry to Radiohead.

Try In Rainbows or The Bends to start with something more accessible. Although The Bends, while an excellent album, doesn't really sound like anything else they've done.

I didn't really care for Kid A until after I saw them live and then finally "got it" and became a bigger fan.

As someone who took a long time to become a Radiohead fan, don't attempt Kid A as your entry to Radiohead.

Try In Rainbows or The Bends to start with something more accessible. Although The Bends, while an excellent album, doesn't really sound like anything else they've done.

I didn't really care for Kid A until after I saw them live and then finally "got it" and became a bigger fan.

Absolutely! I really never gave Radiohead a thought until 2000, when Kid A went to #1 and was all the hype that particular week/month. So I went out and bought the album, and it was the biggest "WTF moment" I think I've ever had. But then I bought the rest of their albums and realized that OK Computer and The Bends were great albums, and even Pablo Honey was decent. I ignored Amnesiac completely, but then HTTT came out and it seemed like a nice fusion between old and new Radiohead. Then I slowly, very very slowly, got into Kid A and Amnesiac.

Those songs really transform into something incredible in a live setting. I absolutely LOVE "In Rainbows", and KOL is not terrible, especially if you consider songs like "Staircase" to be of the same body of work.

I've never seen them live, and I just hope I get the chance in the next couple years. I just hope I haven't missed the boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom