2015 U2 Tour - General Discussion Thread VII

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
as much as i love this tour, the fact that they haven't played the best song on soi (reach me) at all, and only played its second best song (california) a handful of times, makes me want to bang my head against a fucking wall. :banghead: Especially when both of these have the potential to be absolutely amazing live (if played properly). :doh:

amen!

As much as I love this tour, the fact that they haven't played the best song on SOI (Reach Me) at all, and only played its second best song (California) a handful of times, makes me want to bang my head against a fucking wall. :banghead: Especially when both of these have the potential to be absolutely amazing live (if played properly). :doh:

Yes, Reach Me is my favorite song on SOI, but I wouldn't be surprised if they busted it out for the next go around in North America. Hell, they might even play it in Europe.

Reach Me isn't in the top pack of my favorite songs on the album, but I'd love to hear how it sounded live.

I saw California live in Chicago, and it went over very well. It got the best audience reception of any of the new songs. Why they won't touch it with a 10 ft pole is beyond me.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

My first show was Zoo TV outside broadcast in Foxboro Stadium. I was 15. I lost my freaking mind. I cried during WOWY. And AIWIY. My friend and I were on the big screen after talking in that random booth (does anyone remember that booth?) I basically fainted. My dad waited in the parking lot and had to listen his annoying teenage daughter go on and on and on about the show for 1.5 hours on the drive home. Although come to think of it, he picked me up after Friday's show and had to listen to me drone on and on. Not much has changed in 23 years. Give that man a medal.:applaud:

Still upset that I became a fan of U2 right around when Zooropa came out, but missed the ZooTv Tour in Boston... I think I was off by a few months... I recall watching live on demand the concert from Sydney.

Anyone know when the band typically announces new legs of a tour? Hoping for a new North American leg to be announced soon

The current two legs were announced in early December, so a shade over five months out from opening night. I'd say anywhere from 4-7 months is the most likely range. Another US tour is unlikely earlier than March, so I wouldn't start to expect an announcement until September/October.

California needs to open up the encore :up:

California needed to be a first single, with a proper video, not like a background music to some awkward little movie. It should have been played every show, too. Period.

Wait...this is U2 and they want to be recognized as a dad rock band these days. Shame.

The parallels between thevidesco's critique of U2 and the banality of his own posts are substantial. It is almost uncanny.

The current two legs were announced in early December, so a shade over five months out from opening night. I'd say anywhere from 4-7 months is the most likely range. Another US tour is unlikely earlier than March, so I wouldn't start to expect an announcement until September/October.

This will be interesting. I think everyone agrees that the timing of the December announcement for these two legs was horrendous, way too close to the holidays, when many people are already tapped out on finances. Essentially, they got away with it (barely) because demand had built over 4-6 years to the point that people made exceptions to their budgets in order to buy tickets. This time demand may actually be lower ("weren't they just here?"), but I don't think they want to wait too long after the US leg ends to announce the next US run of shows (assuming there will be one in 2016). U2 are getting a fair amount of publicity with these shows, and they might want to strike while the iron is hot, and announce the next leg quickly before the band "disappears" into the European leg and fades from memory.

And of course, the more time between the initial on-sales and the concerts, the more time they have to play their myriad Ticketmaster games to maximize the ticket revenue.

I highly doubt all of the cities that didn't get a U2 show are going to say "Weren't they just here?". :lol: :lol:

Your post sounds like someone who has no idea what it's like for a major band to tour. Especially a band like U2.

but I don't think they want to wait too long after the US leg ends to announce the next US run of shows (assuming there will be one in 2016). U2 are getting a fair amount of publicity with these shows, and they might want to strike while the iron is hot, and announce the next leg quickly before the band "disappears" into the European leg and fades from memory.
They did this during 360°. They announced the second European leg a few weeks after the first one wrapped up (a full year in advance), and announced the second North American leg the day after the Rose Bowl show. I think they could do it if the return leg was slated for the first half of 2016.

My 6 year old really likes Iris.

#kidrock

kid-rock-pic.jpg

Two people in particular I know that never have been drawn to U2 happen to have over heard Iris when I was playing it at separate times. Since then they have told me they listen to the song almost daily. It really is a special song in my opinion.

The chorus doesn't work (for me, at least) on the album version, but when Bono sings, "Hold me close!" live, you'd have to have a heart of stone to not be moved by it. What comes off as clichéd and trite on the album, feels incredibly sincere and passionate live.

Two people in particular I know that never have been drawn to U2 happen to have over heard Iris when I was playing it at separate times. Since then they have told me they listen to the song almost daily. It really is a special song in my opinion.

Completely agreed. Iris, Cedarwood Road, and Reach Around are all time classics in my opinion.

The Troubles and Every Breaking wave aren't far behind either.

Great fucking album.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The parallels between thevidesco's critique of U2 and the banality of his own posts are substantial. It is almost uncanny.

Heavy words there. I'm not sure he'll be able to understand this post.

Completely agreed. Iris, Cedarwood Road, and Reach Around are all time classics in my opinion.

The Troubles and Every Breaking wave aren't far behind either.

Great fucking album.

I gotta tell you... I'm really curious what you'll think about this silly album a couple of years from now.

would U2 deciding to start playing California every night once they get to Europe be the most 2014/2015 U2ey thing in all U2ness?

Yes, if it's preceded by a Hands That Built America snippet.

These are the haaaands that built California
Where are the haaaaands to rebuild California?
This is my California!
California!
CAAAALIIIIFOOOORNNNIIIAAAAA!
Then we fell into the shining sea...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom