U2 rehearsals in Torino part VI: Full aug 3 update + aug 4 as it happens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What setlist drama? I don't sleep anything worse because of a (imo) not very good setlist. I'm just giving my opinion:lol:

Again even posts like this, people claim to be U2 fans, but cant find a good chunk of songs out of 22 songs that they like?

Why don't people do a protest and all wear POP t-shirts to one of the gigs? :drool: Or when Bono starts singing Walk On start singing Gone/Mofo :hmm: I'm sure that would work

A singing bird in a suit of lights
Who will only fly for mother sucking rock n roll!!
:heart:

It'd be cute except for the parts where Bono can't see much past the GA inner circle and Red Zones, and wouldn't ever hear us singing.

Final Setlist:

1. Beautiful Day
2. Magnificent
3. Get On Your Boots
4. Mysterious Ways
5. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
6. The Flowering Rose of Glastonbury
7. Elevation
8. In A Little While
9. Miss Sarajevo
10. Until The End Of The World
11. The Unforgettable Fire
12. City Of Blinding Lights
13. Vertigo
14. I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight / Discothèque (snippet)
15. Sunday Bloody Sunday
16. MLK
17. Walk On / You'll Never Walk Alone (snippet)
--encore break--
18. One
19. Amazing Grace (snippet) / Where The Streets Have No Name
--encore break--
20. Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
21. With or Without You
22. Moment of Surrender

If this is the setlist they are going to run with then I am a bit disappointed. Every step forward is matched with a step backwards. HMTMKMKM and the Glastonbury song add two rockers to the set that were desperately needed for the Claw. However, they then drop two of the better rock songs in NLOTH and Breathe. They add a great new intro but make the new opener a ten year old song. They give us new songs at the expense of NLOTH material. I was hoping that the band would start adding several 90's songs to actually utilize the Claw to its full potential. I cannot understand what the band is thinking with many of these changes.

If this is the setlist they are going to run with then I am a bit disappointed. Every step forward is matched with a step backwards. HMTMKMKM and the Glastonbury song add two rockers to the set that were desperately needed for the Claw. However, they then drop two of the better rock songs in NLOTH and Breathe. They add a great new intro but make the new opener a ten year old song. They give us new songs at the expense of NLOTH material. I was hoping that the band would start adding several 90's songs to actually utilize the Claw to its full potential. I cannot understand what the band is thinking with many of these changes.

Sounds just like what I said a page or so back...
http://www.u2interference.com/forum...ug-4-as-it-happens-207027-14.html#post6868574

Again even posts like this, people claim to be U2 fans, but cant find a good chunk of songs out of 22 songs that they like?
I'm happy for you if you think it's a great setlist. I like most of U2 their songs, maybe > 90% of their catalogue. I just don't think it's a great setlist. What's the big deal?

I don't get the hate for ATYCLB, it's a great album and 4 songs isn't much. If you look at it in perspective, it's a pretty balanced setlist with old and new stuff. If U2 included everything the fans want to hear they'd play a 12 hour show. It was to be expected that they'd drop some of the NLOTH stuff, but apart from that it's a pretty good set. I'm sure there will be changes when the tour moves on, it's ridiculous to think that they'll play these songs for the rest of the tour. I'm happy with the set and the fact that they are touring again. I'm mainly worried about Bono's health and fitness, the setlist stuff is not so important.

:lol: Remember a few days ago when we were so happy? :wink:

I'm all right now. I took my new avatar's advice. :wink:

The only thing I'm really disappointed in is dropping NLOTH.

UC I love, but I kind of saw that one coming.

The other stuff I can live with. And will be able to sleep at night. :wink:

at work and on slack patrol. What's new?
1) U2 hates you, 'cause they won't play (insert your favorite obscure title here). :grumpy:
2) There're too many songs from ATYCLB on the setlist. :grumpy: There are too many songs from HTDAAB on the setlist. :grumpy: There are too many songs from NLOTH on the setliste. :grumpy: There are too many songs from AB on the setlist. :grumpy:
3) We're out of brownies. :madwife:

:lmao:

I hate to whine, but I'll miss UC so much and I love NLOTH,the album, and still wish they would play more than 4 songs from it.

But it is exciting that they'll play HMTMKMKM!!

And 2 new songs.! Tell me, have they ever played unreleased songs on a tour before. I have only followed the setlists from Elevation up till now.

I don't get the hate for ATYCLB, it's a great album and 4 songs isn't much.

My biggest complaint with ATYCLB (and even HDDAAB to a point), was that after the envelope-pushing and barrier-breaking we got from AB, Zoo, and Pop (as well as Passengers), for them to simply just turn tail and run back to the safety of their "classic" style was simply too much. Add in the ridiculous overplay from radio and I was turned off completely.

And as I stated earlier, the Claw begs for dramatics. Not Walk On and IALW. It screams for Numb and Mofo. For The Fly and Zooropa. For Discotheque.

Bono is apparently much better, why not take the chance and push those barriers once more? The show was never for the casual fans. It was always for the diehards, the hardcore groups that camp out for DAYS in hopes of rail spots along GA. Not the people that get upper deck tickets because it was something to "do" that weekend. (Like the people behind my hubby and I in Tampa...).

We're the fans that have kept U2's money train rolling for three decades. Not the guys that bought Joshua Tree in the 80s and hasn't followed them until now.

Sorry...I'm a bit wound up.... :huh:

1) U2 hates you, 'cause they won't play (insert your favorite obscure title here). :grumpy:
2) There're too many songs from ATYCLB on the setlist. :grumpy: There are too many songs from HTDAAB on the setlist. :grumpy: There are too many songs from NLOTH on the setliste. :grumpy: There are too many songs from AB on the setlist. :grumpy:
3) We're out of brownies. :madwife:

:lmao:

:applaud::wave:

This would make me happier...

New Intro
1. Get On Your Boots
2. Mysterious Ways
3. Beautiful Day
4. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
5. The Flowering Rose of Glastonbury
6. Elevation
7. In A Little While
8. Miss Sarajevo
9. Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
10. Until The End Of The World
11. The Unforgettable Fire
12. City Of Blinding Lights
13. Vertigo
14. I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight / Discothèque (snippet)
15. Sunday Bloody Sunday
16. MLK
17. Walk On / You'll Never Walk Alone (snippet)
--encore break--
18. One
19. Amazing Grace (snippet) / Where The Streets Have No Name
--encore break--
20. Ultraviolet
21. Gone
22. With or Without You
23 Moment of Surrender

And as I stated earlier, the Claw begs for dramatics. Not Walk On and IALW. It screams for Numb

no stage anywhere, at any time screams for numb to be played.

numb is dramatic? is that a joke? numb has to be one of the worst u2 live songs ever, and should never, ever be played live again.

Makes me laugh when people come out with comments like "come on U2 your better than this" basically saying that because they are not playing some songs YOU like then it makes for a bad setlist for EVERYONE, and i find it strange that people cannot grasp that there will be alot of casual people at the shows,

Please.

I am well aware that there are casual fans at shows. I never said drop Beautiful Day or Still Haven't Found or Mysterious Ways, etc. They are always going to play hits, and I love the hits so no complaints there. I have said many times that I am not asking for a rarities fest every night, just one or two songs from Pop, JT and the 1980-84 period. The only classic that needs a long rest is WOWY because it is flat out atrocious this tour.

They do not need 4 ATYCLB songs just because casual fans are in the house.
Am I missing something? Is that all of a sudden the only well known U2 album?

Is dropping Elevation and Walk On really going to make for an obscure set list? Come on. What they have sitting on the bench- Desire, Angel of Harlem, Even Better Than The Real Thing, The Fly, In God's Country, Bad, Two Hearts Beat As One, I Will Follow, Pride, All I Want Is You, is at least as well known as these two songs.

U2 are underestimating how much people know their songs, and you are to if you think that Elevation and Walk On are needed every night to hold the interest of casuals. Go see any tribute band with a bunch of drunks staggering in at the end of the night, not sure what is going on and certainly not planning to be seeing U2 music that night. You'll be shocked at how many of them start singing along perfectly to "Whos Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses" and "All I Want Is You."

Songs from War and Joshua Tree are well known and liked too! If 90s songs are performed well, people will respond, casuals included, just like they will and have(on Vertigo) if 80s album tracks are performed well.

You are suggesting that somehow I am taking away all of the casual fan fun with my wishlist, well let me ask you a question.

Do you think that the casual U2 fan who was big into them in the 80s and 90s gets anything out of this show? The 80s songs were everywhere, and people actually bought real albums back then, so even the album tracks are well known.

U2 was the band of the 80s, developed their fan base in that decade, and someone who attended a concert in 1987 would only get 6 of 22-24 songs that they remember and associate with U2. And that is if you are nice and count a 1/3 complete version of MLK as an 80s song. They are not playing anything album cut off War or JT, not playing live classics like Bad and are rarely touching New Year's Day.

People come out of 360 shows, just general public, tagging along with friends/significant others type people and say "where was x, y,z, that to me is U2!"

I don't care what people here, myself included think sometimes about the 90s and 00s, most people associate vintage U2 with the 80s.

I am not saying "U2 are better than this, they could be better by doing my personal wish list" I am just expressing agreement with the many, many people here and elsewhere who know they have much better than 4 ATYCLB songs and 35-40% slow songs to offer a stadium. Many have come to the conclusion that it is time for Elevation to go.

Back to casuals and then I will shut my big mouth:wink:

Defending a set list and attacking a critique by pointing out the need to satisfy casuals is a little curious with these numbers present:

-4 NLOTH songs. I love the album, most of us here do, but to the casual public and even to a lot of casual fans, it is obscure.

-Glastonbury(I like it, but johnny casual will want to know where Desire is!)

-In A Little While
(2 well known smash hits there)
-Miss Sarajevo

-MLK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom