Dublin 2, July 25th Setlist Party/Discussion Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Never thought the first show would be better than the second, but it was.

Underwhelming night, but it was cool to hear Unknown Caller again at the very least. And the rain sure chose the right section of the main set to come down, during UF and COBL.

Got to say the last two nights have had the two single worst performances of WOWY I've actually seen U2 play in person. Don't know why they waste their time playing it if they're going to half-arse it so badly.

Critiques aside, I can't wait for Monday's gig.

that girl that went on stage with Bono... IS A FRIEND OF MINE

her name is VERONICA, and she and a friend danced with Bono on the Vertigo show here in Santiago :D

I'm so happy for her... and with OUR BEAUTIFUL CHILEAN FLAG

chile_flag.jpg

He actually brought a girl on stage to dance with him?

Yup at the end of Mysterious ways. There were so many people there with flags from different countries

her name is VERONICA, and she and a friend danced with Bono on the Vertigo show here in Santiago :D

chile_flag.jpg

So cool for you and your friend!

Never thought the first show would be better than the second, but it was.

Underwhelming night, but it was cool to hear Unknown Caller again at the very least. And the rain sure chose the right section of the main set to come down, during UF and COBL.

Got to say the last two nights have had the two single worst performances of WOWY I've actually seen U2 play in person. Don't know why they waste their time playing it if they're going to half-arse it so badly.

Critiques aside, I can't wait for Monday's gig.

I didn't see Friday's show (and I'm very disappointed that I didn't) but I don't agree on everything you're saying here. In my experience, this is the only time I've seen WOWY truly shine (this was my 6th U2 gig) - One was underwhelming, but somehow WOWY just really got to me, a great performance in my mind. Oddly enough, I was in tears when they sang In A Little While, this surprised me as I don't really think the song is that special - or at least I didn't think it was. Here I am and it reminds me of the first time I bought a U2 record, back in early 2002, true nostalgia, and a great performance of the song.

Personal highlights:

NLOTH
Mysterious Ways
Unknown Caller
UF
Ultraviolet
WOWY
MOS

Don't get me wrong, I was a little disappointed in the set, but to me at least, this wasn't an underwhelming night at all. Better than the first Vertigo Dublin gig, if that helps anyone.

I had the same question in another thread. It seemed like she was kind of mad that she had to get off stage?

He said "Ask the missus, she's very understanding."

It seemed like she was asking if she could visit his house or something - Bono was caught totally off guard and he didn't know what to say, I could tell that much from his expression and lack of words.

According to u2tours.com bono was in tears at the end of streets.

I walked down to the stadium and caught the last few songs from outside. There was a group of about 100 people watching the show through the side opening of Croke. People partying out in their yards in the apartment complex behind the stadium. Was a pretty cool atmosphere. I recorded Streets from outside the venue with my iPhone, will upload it and share it when it's done. Sounded fanastic, btw.

Ax is just judging it based on setlists and which songs he likes or doesn't

I was there and Saturday night was a million miles better than Vertigo.

I agree. I've heard more than one comment about how in shape Bono seems to be compared to last year. This stage setup requires stamina for sure. And they don't stop for more than 5 minutes the whole show. It's a non-stop 2 hours.

Dublin II review:

Hello my fellow interferencelovers!
We just came back from a well "deserved" break in France and Dublin and here is my "review" of Dublin II. The night that had a few surprises personally when it commes to loving some songs and some dissapointments. I will also make a new setlist that I think would make a GREAT show a MINDBLOWING sow. Let me start with the negative so we can end up positive.

The bad:

50% of the securtiy idiots need to be sent to some instituation to get help because how they are able to breath with such a low level of intelligence is unbelievable. Never in my life have I witnessed such a low tolerance level (esp considering the band the people came to see). Just thinking about them gets me pissed off so lets move on.

The sound of Kaiser chiefs and U2 was too loud. I cannot for the love of God believe that I am saying this but whether it was the place we were standing or the fact that my ears are just sensible. It hurt my ears big time. I spent half the night trying to get a beepsound out of my left ear and that spoilt an otherwise good concert for me a bit. A big shame and a strange never happened before experience. Still have no high in the left ear.

Breath as an opener. A good song but just not good enough as an opener. See "my setlist"later on.

WOWY: this nightmare has to stop. It is just horrendous to see/hear what thye are doing to this gem and thye need to stop playing it.Uninspired would be an understatement

The order of the setlist: Thisd is not really a bad but no a good either so. I can not understand why they choose some song in the order that thye play it in. MW sounds actually very good but needs to be later on in the show.

MOS as a closing song: now this may sound like a surprise to some(if anyone knows my distain for that song) but I actually liked it live. A big surprise that I caught myself singing the outro . On the other hand, it is NOT a closing song (again see setlist below)

one up tempo to few: choose every night between OOC, 11 oclock, Elec. co and IWF again see setlist below)

no ES or DM which felt like a little disspaointing but since "no one"knows the setlist this should not be a complaint actually :) . (again see setlist below)

the good:

the supportacts: Republic of Loose was absolutely a breath of fresh air and what a pleasure to hear this relatively unknwon band for the first time. They actually had the best sound of the night which is weird considering what came after that. Great songs, a laidback frontman with a fantastic voice and they won the crowd over after 3 songs and put a big smile on my face. Kaiser Ciefs. Nice band to get the crowd started but the sound was too loud(see somehwere above). The frontman did a nice run trhough the crowd thing and the songs got everybody jumping. Good job

The intro; fantastic. follow it up by an an extended intro into magnificent and you might have one of the best u2 openers ever

the new songs: surprisingly solid and fresh at the same time with the exception of NLOTH which (after giving it a listen or two) isnt the cool song I thought it was at first. It just isnt the fly or something.

Bono's voice: he is back, what more can I say :up:

the band in general: the really seemed like they had a great time walking around and with the exception of a fuck up of Bono in Walk on everyone did a great job

Ultraviolet and UF : MINDBLOWING

Streets: looks great with the claw

The claw itself: looks AWESOME
overall rating 9/10

Just to stay true to myself I have made a few adjustments and I honestly think if they would play this setlist it would be the best tour they have ever done. It doesnt involve Mofo, acrobat or something like that but a bit of realisme. Like I said before. It was great, not mindblowing and I feel this would be the way to make it even better without chaning too much. Here we go:

0. Intro
1. Magnificent
2. No Line On The Horizon
3. Breathe
4. Get On Your Boots
5. Elec. co/ OOC/ IWF/ 11 oclock
6. Beautiful Day
7. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For/ A sort of homecomming
8. Angel Of Harlem/ Desire/ In a little while
9. Unknown Caller
10. Drowning man/ Electrical storm/
11. Unforgettable Fire
12. City of Blinding Lights
13. Vertigo
14. I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight (Remix)
15. Sunday Bloody Sunday
16. Pride (In The Name Of Love)
17. MLK
18. Walk On
19. Where The Streets Have No Name
20. One

Encore:
21. Ultraviolet
22. Mysterious Ways/ UTEOTW
23. Moment Of Surrender
24. Bad

just my two cents.

have a great day everyone!:wave:

I walked down to the stadium and caught the last few songs from outside. There was a group of about 100 people watching the show through the side opening of Croke. People partying out in their yards in the apartment complex behind the stadium. Was a pretty cool atmosphere. I recorded Streets from outside the venue with my iPhone, will upload it and share it when it's done. Sounded fanastic, btw.

On Friday night I saw way more than 100 people, just listening and what-not until the police moved them away! :lol:

I was disappointed in the setlist, since I had anticipated some surprises - I preferred Friday's more. However I preferred the show on Saturday overall. My gripe still remains that the end of the main set is totally exhausting ;)

chile_flag.jpg

Thats cool but if she has danced with Bono already before, why not let some other lucky girl get the opportunity next time??

He said "Ask the missus, she's very understanding."

It seemed like she was asking if she could visit his house or something - Bono was caught totally off guard and he didn't know what to say, I could tell that much from his expression and lack of words.

Some people's nerves :doh: :lol:

I could never say anything like that on stage, I'd be much too excited.
First I thought she said something naughty.
Yes, Bono seemed a little confused :lol:

From what I've seen and heard, Saturday night looked like a really emotional show. I'm very curious about tonight's show. Apparently, U2 are considering ignoring the curfew or negotiating with authorities to be allowed to play longer, like they did in 2005.

Thats cool but if she has danced with Bono already before, why not let some other lucky girl get the opportunity next time??

This comment comes up every tour and the results are never pretty, so prepare yourself. ;)

Bono picks the people he wants to pick, sometimes knowingly picking girls who have been onstage before. Don't blame them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom