Bono undergoes emer. surgery -- tour impact forthcoming!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, met no offense to Adam its just the worst things happen to U2 members before tours start. Leg 1 of Vertigo and now this.

Yeah, but Ad' went through hell during ZooTv, and Lar's had back problems/surgeries as well, so they've all had equally bad stuff happen. It sucks, but such is life. Sadly, they're human. It happens to the best and the worst. :sad:

With what we know about Bono, he probably feels he's let a lot of people down right now... Bono, you take care of you first. We love our concerts, but would rather you be healthy. Get well soon.

Or he's on so many painkillers he's in the Happy Place :wink: But yeah, you're right.

Wow, bad news - hope B is ok.

Re: back surgery. I had back surgery in 2005 for a badly degenerated and herniated disc. Prior to the surgery (which was necessary after I aggravated the herniation in a slip on ice), I missed two weeks of work with SEVERE pain and numbness in my right leg. I had the surgery on a Friday, and I was literally back at work seeing patients (I'm a dentist) and pain free the next Wednesday. The surgical pain is nothing compared to the pain of the injury. HOWEVER - running around a stage, singing at the top of one's lungs, travelling thousands of miles on planes, and keeping ridiculous hours do not an easy recovery make.

For those worried that it was a neurosurgeon who did the surgery, don't. Back surgeries can be performed by orthopaedic surgeons OR neurosurgeons, even with cord involvement.

I think this will be a matter of "can" vs. "should". Further, there may be liability issues faced if Bono performs injured that LN etc. wouldn't want to take on.

Sadly (with my Edmonton Redzone tickets sobbing as well), I would predict that SEVERAL weeks, if not the entire North America leg, will be postponed. :sad:

Get well soon B.

without having to go back and read the whole thread...is it known what the exact injury is and what the surgery was? thanks!

More from the @u2 Twitter:

Yep, and that tweet doesn't necessarily mean all pre-Minn shows are postponed. :) RT @cindi: @atu2 Isn't there more than one claw set?

From atu2 (atu2) on Twitter

RT @U2faninSLC: @u2start a truck driver leaving slc w/ part of the claw confirmed w/ me headed to Minneapolis.

Could Minn. be the new opener???? :crack:

Very intriguing, but could mean a couple things.

With 3 claws it may mean things will start in Seattle/Edmonton before playing the 3rd North American show there. What's up with Glastonbury?

Or they will have rehearsals there, since the show itself is 5 WEEKS away.

Good point about the other claws. Maybe they're just taking it one day at a time, planning for each next stop and waiting to see if it's a go?

It's got to be expensive just hauling the stuff around, but maybe that's the scoop.

Didn't Aerosmith's management want Steve Tyler to perform from a wheelchair following his shoulder/neck injuries last year? I think he declined - and I can't see Bono doing that either. Will be bummed to miss them in San Fran if it gets cancelled (especially since we're travelling from the East Coast), but wish him a speedy and full recovery regardless.

Good point about the other claws. Maybe they're just taking it one day at a time, planning for each next stop and waiting to see if it's a go?

It's got to be expensive just hauling the stuff around, but maybe that's the scoop.

Too expensive to haul stuff around the US if they don't plan on using it. This is hopeful news :hmm:

Yes, 3 Claws.

Maybe Denver or Oakland as the opener??

Oakland would have been the second stop for the Claw that was in Salt Lake City, so we can assume by it going to Minneapolis, that all dates through Oakland will definitely be postponed. The Anaheim Claw would have been going to Seattle, so it means Seattle now would be the earliest tour date that would be possible.

If there are 3 claws. And one is going to MN now... best case scenario (as one isn't needed at Glasto) Seattle or Edmonton might be the first show?

Time will tell.

June 03, 2010: Salt Lake City, UT at Rice Eccles Stadium (Postponed)

June 06, 2010: Anaheim, CA at Angel Stadium

June 07, 2010: Anaheim, CA at Angel Stadium

June 12, 2010: Denver, CO at Invesco Field

June 16, 2010: Oakland, CA at Oakland Coliseum

June 20, 2010: Seattle, WA at Qwest Field

June 23, 2010: Edmonton AB, Canada at Commonwealth Stadium

June 25, 2010: Pilton, England at Glastonbury Festival

June 27, 2010: Minneapolis, MN at TCF Bank Stadium

Just the steel structures, there are 3 of them and 1 set of all the electronics/frills. I think all 3 were in storage in Denver after Vegas/LA/Vanc.

I think Glastonbury will be the only 360 show without "the claw".

Looks like Seattle/Edmonton/Minn have open ended schedules, since they'd most likely have to be made up in 2011.

We can assume the Claws were probably to be used as follows:

Claw 1: Salt Lake City, Oakland, Minneapolis, Chicago, Montreal

Claw 2: Anaheim, Seattle, East Lansing, Miami Gardens, East Rutherford

Claw 3: Denver, Edmonton, Toronto, Philadelphia

We can't assume that Minneapolis is a go though, as the Claws need to go to the East Coast anyway for eventual shipping to Europe. They may get to Minneapolis, then continue on further.

I would think U2 would want to knock out Edmonton if they can. City is off the beaten path for touring.

If there are 3 claws. And one is going to MN now... best case scenario (as one isn't needed at Glasto) Seattle or Edmonton might be the first show?

Time will tell.

June 03, 2010: Salt Lake City, UT at Rice Eccles Stadium (Postponed)

June 06, 2010: Anaheim, CA at Angel Stadium

June 07, 2010: Anaheim, CA at Angel Stadium

June 12, 2010: Denver, CO at Invesco Field

June 16, 2010: Oakland, CA at Oakland Coliseum

June 20, 2010: Seattle, WA at Qwest Field

June 23, 2010: Edmonton AB, Canada at Commonwealth Stadium

June 25, 2010: Pilton, England at Glastonbury Festival

June 27, 2010: Minneapolis, MN at TCF Bank Stadium

SLC/Anaheim/Denver/Oakland can be done in October, whereas some dates after that would certainly be next year because of Fall weather in outdoor Stadia.

They can't keep us guessing like this, they need to let us know. Yep, Glastonbury is exactly 5 weeks away from today. Part of me thinks that even if he performed in a wheelchair he'd get tons of respect for it being a truly heroic effort.

What a shitty way to start the weekend!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom