Bono undergoes emer. surgery -- tour impact forthcoming!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually really doubt Glasto will happen. Think about it, they will have wanted to have been massively pumped up coming straight from the tour, and now we're not even sure he'll be able to walk in a month's time. I can't imagine them going into one of their biggest and riskiest shows ever without any rehearsal.

FUCK :angry:

Isn't the baseball field in Seattle one with a retractable top?? They could move it from the football stadium over to the baseball one, partially close it and leave the top of the Claw sticking out. (I do believe something similar was done last year at a show...) It would be available as I doubt Seattle will be around for playoffs in baseball and not mess up the NFL schedule.

Yeah, Safeco Field has the retractable roof, although I don't know if the Claw would fit under it (it's been a long time since I've been inside with the roof closed). I can't remember if there have been any concerts there before or not. I think there might have been one a few years ago.

And yeah ... there's no way in hell we'll be in the playoffs. :grumpy:

Isn't the baseball field in Seattle one with a retractable top?? They could move it from the football stadium over to the baseball one, partially close it and leave the top of the Claw sticking out. (I do believe something similar was done last year at a show...) It would be available as I doubt Seattle will be around for playoffs in baseball and not mess up the NFL schedule.

Yes, Safeco Field--where the Mariners play--does have a retractable roof. It's also right next door to Qwest Field in downtown Seattle. At the Vancouver show last year, we were in a dome so they couldn't fully extend the claw at all.

Here's keeping my fingers and toes crossed for a speedy recovery and a satisfying rescheduling process for all involved.

Kind of shocked. I hope he's okay. Back pain is brutal and surgery can take months to recover from, not weeks. It's going to be hard to just wait and see what exactly is wrong and what happened to aggrevate it to the point of surgery.

It's like a having a family member in the hospital. I hope he makes a full recover.

I feel bad for Bono, as he loves doing concerts & this has to happen to him.

Why couldn't Adam just have gotten a sprained ankle??

Wow. Poor Bono. Feel better.

Of course, my back is fucked today from working on my deck. Now it's worse thinking about postponed dates.

I'm willing to bet most of the U.S. Leg will be postponed or canceled.

Mark

Yes, Safeco Field--where the Mariners play--does have a retractable roof. It's also right next door to Qwest Field in downtown Seattle. At the Vancouver show last year, we were in a dome so they couldn't fully extend the claw at all.

Here's keeping my fingers and toes crossed for a speedy recovery and a satisfying rescheduling process for all involved.

So my husband just mentioned that the retractable roof is so high at Safeco that it might be able to accomodate the claw with the roof completely closed (he's the baseball fan in the family so he's much more informed about that sort of thing than I). Also, with the roof completely closed--nobody gets wet. I'd be happy to see the band with my parka and gloves on...

As someone who works with a lot of back surgery patients, it's very likely the first half of the tour will be postponed. There is no way he'll feel well enough to be on stage for the length of the show and if he was, he'd have to alternate standing/sitting. It will not be the Bono that we're used to seeing on stage. I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but this is the reality of back surgery.

I have tickets to Oakland and Seattle. I'll still be going up to Seattle, regardless of the show being cancelled.

I hope he gets better soon but takes his time.

Wow , this is a total bummer, my heart skipped a beat there. :|
I hope the B-man recovers soon, and painless!
Also a big hug for all the people who where so exited about SLC :hug:
They won't forget you:up:

Anaheim can be done in late October if need be...no different than last October when they were on the West Coast. SLC would be the same. Seattle/Edmonton would be rough, but no worse than Chicago and New England were last year. Some shows would be colder than others, but it's no worse than my show in Tampa last Oct -- it was over 90F outside and well over 100F on the metal flooring for GA.

Chicago was middle of September, if Edmonton is after Rome it would be the last week of October. That'll be "Grey Cup" weather. Soldier is Chicago was "enclosed" outdoor stadium whereas Commenwealth in Edmonton is open on 2 sides.

Seattle 360 is in the stadium WITHOUT the retractable roof.

As someone who works with a lot of back surgery patients, it's very likely the first half of the tour will be postponed. There is no way he'll feel well enough to be on stage for the length of the show and if he was, he'd have to alternate standing/sitting. It will not be the Bono that we're used to seeing on stage. I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but this is the reality of back surgery.

I have tickets to Oakland and Seattle. I'll still be going up to Seattle, regardless of the show being cancelled.

I hope he gets better soon but takes his time.

Bono has also done shows with an arm in a sling, back during R&H. If he can get out there, he'll want to be out there.

And I'm betting anything the reason he went to Germany was so he could be treated with bull's blood, just like Lar's been treated with for years. If that's the case, his recovery might be MUCH faster.

Bono has also done shows with an arm in a sling, back during R&H. If he can get out there, he'll want to be out there.

And I'm betting anything the reason he went to Germany was so he could be treated with bull's blood, just like Lar's been treated with for years. If that's the case, his recovery might be MUCH faster.

For his sake, I hope it goes smoothly and I know he can't sit still so I hope quickly as well.

Air travel before surgery probably isn't too smart. Mr. Tax-Dodge must have been doing some pre-tour training in Germany. His trainers may have been Hans & Franz, as seen on SNL.

Can is one thing, should is another. I injured my back doing a simple drill warming up at gymnastics and that was it for me, pain for a year and a half and I never did vault or floor exercise (tumbling) again. I remember that day and that moment like yesterday but am now glad I prevented the possibility of further injury (and FWIW I never had to have surgery). After that year and a half I had/have no pain, no recurring problems whatsoever. But it was painful and took a lot longer than a few weeks... Not that I'm trying to speculate about what is wrong with Bono, but I would rather not see U2 this summer than watch him break his back for good or be putting on shows with a painful grimace on his face. I'll just prepare myself for more postponements and if not, then it will be an extra special summer.

With what we know about Bono, he probably feels he's let a lot of people down right now... Bono, you take care of you first. We love our concerts, but would rather you be healthy. Get well soon.

Wow, poor guy. I can't see any of the US dates being played post spinal surgery.

I normally see neurosurgons do upper backs and, if the case is severe, lower with the help of ortho. Plus, its Bono. It would have been a cluster of VIP MDs all over the place. Still, even in a routine case the recovery period is not a couple weeks. More like months.
Ugh.

For his sake, I hope it goes smoothly and I know he can't sit still so I hope quickly as well.

I almost pity the hospital staff/physical therapists. He'll be trying to bounce around as soon as the meds wear off! :lol:

That is not a nice thing to say (about Adam).

:down::down::down::down::down:

Go stand in the corner.

:applaud::applaud::applaud:

Not gonna lie, that would make me seriously happy. I'd still be missing Seattle, but I'm more excited about taking my family to the show in Mpls.

I'll cross my crossables.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom