Barcelona I Setlist Party (and show discussion & thoughts) Part IV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not that "U2 can do no wrong", that is more the subject for albums, tour themes, variations of the way they play certain songs, etc...The setlist issue is that it is impossible to create one that will make everyone happy. There are people wanting One gone from the setlist. Yet others are DYING to hear it, since this will be there first show.

I am lucky. I have seen them every tour since War, multiple times each tour, and gotten to see most songs played. But they must think like it's someone's ONLY show, and that fan is gonna wanna hear some songs the hard core fans are "tired" of.

Personally, I would love for them to drop a couple of songs myself from the 2009 setlist. BUT I WON'T BITCH ABOUT IT. If I was going to express ANY disapointment, it would be the dropping of a couple of songs from the longer setlist, yet it sounds like tonights show was 2 hours and 15 minutes. That rivals the longest of the Vertigo shows.

Bottom line, the last time U2 did a "daring" setlist was ZOO TV. First 7 songs almost all new, first legs, nothing from the first 3 albums at all, etc...They aren't that same band anymore.

I know I will be enjoying the shows that I see, NO MATTER WHAT IS PLAYED.

my exact thoughts. thank you! :up:

You're kinda proving my point. The original poster is disappointed, but almost every single reply is assessing the setlist in a positive manner (including yours truly). There was bitching, of course, but it was more concentrated on single song appearances like Elevation and Pride. This time, many people, including myself, are considering single song appearances like UF and Ultra Violet as highlights, while the setlist as a whole ain't that thrilling.

Is it more of a problem with the new material?

How about the setlist complainers put together 22 songs, and see what people think? I know the post that was a few posts back was horrible. "Lets get rid of every popular song, plus some of the new ones too"...

It's not that "U2 can do no wrong", that is more the subject for albums, tour themes, variations of the way they play certain songs, etc...The setlist issue is that it is impossible to create one that will make everyone happy. There are people wanting One gone from the setlist. Yet others are DYING to hear it, since this will be there first show.

I am lucky. I have seen them every tour since War, multiple times each tour, and gotten to see most songs played. But they must think like it's someone's ONLY show, and that fan is gonna wanna hear some songs the hard core fans are "tired" of.

Personally, I would love for them to drop a couple of songs myself from the 2009 setlist. BUT I WON'T BITCH ABOUT IT. If I was going to express ANY disapointment, it would be the dropping of a couple of songs from the longer setlist, yet it sounds like tonights show was 2 hours and 15 minutes. That rivals the longest of the Vertigo shows.

Bottom line, the last time U2 did a "daring" setlist was ZOO TV. First 7 songs almost all new, first legs, nothing from the first 3 albums at all, etc...They aren't that same band anymore.

I know I will be enjoying the shows that I see, NO MATTER WHAT IS PLAYED.

This post hit the nail on the head. I witnessed this. There are all types of people in an audience of 95-100k people. I could see people around me that were freaking out when they played Pride, (a couple of front of me started crying and hugging each other when it started) or One, or With or Without You. It puts things in perspective. They're not playing for a stadium full of fanatics. They need to find a balance between new songs, rarities and the classics. If they fill up the show with rarities they will lose most of the audience.

I'm happy I actually got to see a show where they didn't play Bullet. :lol:

Don't care for the concept or what I heard of the ISS link-up myself. I'd prefer the other ISS, Indian Summer Sky.

In other words.. :lock: ?

Oh, just if I wanted a swathe of pictures, I'd go to PLEBA. I'm in this for the stats and the analysis.

Personally, I think we can hold off on the major complains until we at least have a real bootleg to listen to. The videos were nice teases, but I won't judge the show on that.

We had 2 major surprises (UF and UV.) We had 7 new songs. That's 9 out of the 22 tracks right there be be excited about! (And presumably Drowning Man will be here soon!)

Supposedly Walk On, and Crazy Tonight are massively re-worked, so they should be interesting.

Oh, and there's the rumored intro: 'Kingdom'!

So, was it a god show or a boring setlist? I dunno. I judge when i hear a decent Mp3. Until then, I'll just wonder.....

How about the setlist complainers put together 22 songs, and see what people think? I know the post that was a few posts back was horrible. "Lets get rid of every popular song, plus some of the new ones too"...

I'll give it a shot:

1) Magnificent
2) No Line On The Horizon
3) Get On Your Boots
4) Breathe
5) Until The End Of The World
6) New Year's Day
7) Beautiful Day
8) Unknown Caller
9) The Unforgettable Fire
10) City of Blinding Lights
11) Angel of Harlem ROTATE WITH In A Little While
12) Drowning Man ROTATE WITH White As Snow
13) Gone ROTATE WITH Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
14) The Fly ROTATE WITH Even Better Than The Real Thing
15) Pride (In The Name Of Love)
16) MLK
17) Walk On
---Encore Break---
18) Where The Streets Have No Name
19) One / Hear Us Coming (snippet)
20) Ultraviolet (Light My Way)
21) With Or Without You / Shine Like Stars (snippet) ROTATE WITH Bad
22) Moment of Surrender

This post hit the nail on the head. I witnessed this. There are all types of people in an audience of 95-100k people. I could see people around me that were freaking out when they played Pride, (a couple of front of me started crying and hugging each other when it started) or One, or With or Without You. It puts things in perspective. They're not playing for a stadium full of fanatics. They need to find a balance between new songs, rarities and the classics. If they fill up the show with rarities they will lose most of the audience.

I'm happy I actually got to see a show where they didn't play Bullet. :lol:

SO JEALOUS!!! Hope it was awesome Rosa!

When they played "An Cat Dubh - Into the Heart" / "The Ocean" on the last tour you could SEE/FEEL the audience just checking out. Sure the hard core fans were into it, but that is a SMALL part of the whole crowd. I wasn't surprised when they dropped it. It sucked, and I'm glad I saw them do it early on, but it wasn't "working" with the crowd as a whole.

Look, last time I saw them, they've played only ONE song out of my top 20! (In this case, my favorite one.) And it was bloody amazing anyway. This time they're playing three out of my top 20. (But only one out of my top 10, my 6th favorite, actually.)
And I ask you, who cares? The set may not have 90's gems or whatever and maybe it's completely different from what I or you would do, but for Christ's sake, it's an U2 show damn. Sorry if your standards are so high that one of best live bands of all time can't impress you only because their set is not so strong or they don't play more 'obscure' and 'for fans' songs.
In other words, and it's even stupid to post this cause it was posted a million times already: bitch is fine. Everyone does a little bitching from time to time. We need to. But c'mon, you're going to a freaking U2 concert and you're pissed cause they're not playing rockers? Cause they dropped DM? Please, give me your tickets. I'm really sad that I won't be seeing any show while they don't decide to tour other regions of the world, I would be really glad.
Otherwise, bitch about something useful.

so when do you guys think do we get a decent MP3 bootleg..hopefully soon. and hopefully there were more people who "taped" the show tonight. think tomorrow we will have thousands of videos in youtube. fingers crossed. :applaud:

I'll give it a shot:

1) Magnificent
2) No Line On The Horizon
3) Get On Your Boots
4) Breathe
5) Until The End Of The World
6) New Year's Day
7) Beautiful Day
8) Unknown Caller
9) The Unforgettable Fire
10) City of Blinding Lights
11) Angel of Harlem ROTATE WITH In A Little While
12) Drowning Man ROTATE WITH White As Snow
13) Gone ROTATE WITH Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
14) The Fly ROTATE WITH Even Better Than The Real Thing
15) Pride (In The Name Of Love)
16) MLK
17) Walk On
---Encore Break---
18) Where The Streets Have No Name
19) One / Hear Us Coming (snippet)
20) Ultraviolet (Light My Way)
21) With Or Without You / Shine Like Stars (snippet) ROTATE WITH Bad
22) Moment of Surrender

I don't think Magnificent is a good enough song to open with. I'd LOVE to see 'One' dumped, and while I haven't heard the new version of Walk On, I've never been a fan of the song up until now. Otherwise: good job!

I don't think Magnificent is a good enough song to open with. I'd LOVE to see 'One' dumped, and while I haven't heard the new version of Walk On, I've never been a fan of the song up until now. Otherwise: good job!

I'd be fine with keeping Breathe as an opener, or else using NLOTH. And One and Walk On, I think provide good balance to the setlist as a whole (plus I love One, and keep holding out hope that it will be played well this tour).

I'd be fine with keeping Breathe as an opener, or else using NLOTH. And One and Walk On, I think provide good balance to the setlist as a whole (plus I love One, and keep holding out hope that it will be played well this tour).

I still think One needs time off to be great again.... Yes, it's one of their best songs, I just hate how they've performed it the last 10 years....

Oh, and even though Bono is singing it better lately I'd love to see a show or two without Pride....

All in all though, I'm betting a lot more surprises are coming. Remember how much the Vertigo setlist changed over the first months?

Not at all. I like No Line on the Horizon. I could live without Sexy Boots, but I would be pissed if U2 would go the Rolling Stones route, playing a greatest hits set with 1 or 2 new songs tucked in.

Predicting Drowning Man and Mysterious Ways for night 2. If we get lucky, we'll see Even Better Than the Real Thing and Bad soon enough... I already see some improvement in the future, based on the already rehearsed songs.

Exactly. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised any more, but I don't know what people expect. I've gone to TONS of shows over the years for bands I've only been a casual fan of, and I know I'd have been really disappointed if they didn't play their hits. And, people have to realize that rabid fans only make up a very small percentage of all the fans at each U2 show.

Honestly, it's like some people are stuck in some self-centered stage of development where they can't take the perspective of other people into consideration.

I'd like to hear One and WOWY at some point to see if there's any improvement over the Vertigo Tour on those songs.

Setlist(sofar):

1. Breathe
2. No Line on the Horizon
3. Get On Your Boots
4. Magnificent
5. <Bono speech about Barcelona> - Beautiful Day/possible unidentified snippet?
6. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
7. Angel Of Harlem / Man In The Mirror (snippet) / Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough (snippet)
8. In A Little While

<Speech now - live link-up with the International Space Station of all things!>

-9. Unknown Caller
10. The Unforgettable Fire
11. City of Blinding Lights
12. Vertigo
13. Crazy Tonight (Remix)
14. Sunday Bloody Sunday
15. Pride (In the Name Of Love)
16. MLK
17. Walk On/ You'll Never Walk Alone (snippet)

Encore:

<Desmond Tutu speech>
18.Where The Streets Have No Name
<Bono thanking the crowd for being a part of the One Campaign, putting on an FC Barcelona football/soccer jersey>
19.One <screwed up, had to restart>

2nd Encore:
20.Ultra Violet (Light My Way)
21.With Or Without You
22.Moment of Surrender

I am rather pleased by this set list. :up:

U2 always tends to play a fair number of songs from their latest album on any given tour, and they didn't disappoint. Playing 7 of the 11 songs is very impressive, especially when one considers U2's catalog. And I'm very impressed that they opened with four songs from their new album. U2 were even more bold with ZOO TV when they opened with 7 or 8 songs from AB. Of course, in 2009, U2 have a lot more songs to choose from.

It is a challenge to remove some of the "big hits" and we have to expect that. While I'd be surprised to see U2 mix up the setlist a lot (it's not their overall style, and I don't know how the videos would work with varying setlists), I'm sure we will see substitutions along the way. But we'll always have some of the big hits. And I know I always enjoy them, and the crowd reaction to them, when I hear the songs. It's easy to complain behind a keyboard. But when you are at the concert, hearing that big hit is a real treat! :yes:

In other words, given that U2 pretty much has to play hits, yet is committed to playing a fair number of new songs, I felt they did a good job mixing things up, while still tossing in some treats. :applaud:

On a very positive note, Bono sounds fucking incredible. There's specifically a major improvement on his falsetto.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom