Anaheim II Setlist Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A group of fans were able to meet Bono on Sunday before U2 left L.A. for New York. He was asking people what they thought of Saturday night's show and which of the 2 nights they preferred. I asked him if it had been a preview of Glastonbury and he said "no". He said it was more of a case of wanting to shake up the setlist because he said that stadium felt real big to them.

I'm not sure if those listening to the stream could hear a comment that Bono made late in the show where he was about to say 360 tour, then quickly changed it to say 320. The reason he said it was that at Angel Stadium, there were no seats directly behind the stage. When Larry's drum stand rotated, he was playing primarily to a wall. He seemed to be saying that they came up with a setlist that was meant to be different from a 360 setlist as a result of this.

That said, I think Glastonbury may have a similar setlist, though their appearance there is supposedly going to be 105 minutes, as opposed to the 135-140 minutes they currently do. I very much doubt that the song Glastonbury will be played, as in a conversation I had with Dallas Schoo 2 weeks ago, he said that Bono felt (and I think most fans will agree) that it wasn't quite there lyrically.

One of the other fans there asked him about the next tour. I overheard most of what he said to her but U2gigs had a link to her post for those who want to read it in her own words. Essentially Bono echoed what he told a fan in Sao Paulo who had requested they play Love Come Tumbling (video of which was on Youtube): that on the next tour, he wants them to play smaller "private shows" as he called them where they will play a lot more of the songs they don't regularly play and he specifically mentioned songs from Pop like Gone. He said they want to switch around the setlists a lot more.

Bono told someone else he was still on a high from Saturday's show, so he was as excited by it as were the fans. The fact that he asked for opinions on it from fans suggests that this type of setlist may continue on the 360 tour.

My wife, who is originally from Brazil and is part of U2BR, was responsible for the streams for the past 4 shows, but Anaheim was the last shows of the tour for us (unless we add a July weekend show which is tempting), so hopefully others will be able to stream the remaining shows.

You guys are awesome:heart:

Awesome post, Halup! Interesting to hear that the setlist might still be in flux to some extent. I don't think Interference could handle another setlist party as crazy as this one, though.
Also, "the venue wasn't really 360 degrees" is quite possibly the most bizarre explanation for a setlist change imaginable...but, hey, if it gave us this, bring on U2 320. :rockon:

I didn't quite get at what he was saying as far as the reason for the setlist change. He mentioned the venue being big (but all of them are on this tour) and something about it not feeling like 360, but I didn't quite pick up on his full meaning. I think I missed soem of the things he said, as he started this conversation with the people down the line from me. I guess the main thing to take from it, based on his curiosity of which of the 2 shows was better, is that they may be inspired to do play this setlist again or at least toy around with what they had been playing for most of this year.

Hell yeah for the ZooTV 2.0! :rockon: I bet having One and Streets so early might have been a lot more kick ass then people may think. I imagine having Streets up there early in that slot would rock pretty well. It's not like they have a shitty encore either now. I think if they could manage HMTMKMKM and UV in the encore that would be pretty amazing, not very likely but imagine. I'm all for the awesome AB filled start to the show. The NLOTH songs just aren't built up for a stadium show and the new songs from 2010 aren't all that incredible, at least not in this stadium setting. For 360 rockers seem to me like the more appropriate choice. Now it doesn't have to be all rockers but have more rockers than non is the way to go with this type of tour. I imagine the show must have been incredible Saturday night and I am so jealous but happy for all the lucky folks who were at the 2nd Anaheim show. Hopefully U2 will stick to this type of set for the rest of the tour. Just switch Stuck with Stay and you have a pretty near perfect setlist IMO. I want to see that in Philly. Come on U2! We know you've got balls now! :wink:

Say what you want about ATYCLB...it's a lot more fresh than the follow up albums.

Nah, not really. None of the songs played now work as good as they did in 2001. Walk On especially is such a drag on 360.

:wave:...One!

I'm impressed that you recorded it at all!

thank you :)

Thank you! It was wonderful meeting you
smily.gif

We must do this again sometime
biggrin2.gif

yes. we must! :)

A group of fans were able to meet Bono on Sunday before U2 left L.A. for New York. He was asking people what they thought of Saturday night's show and which of the 2 nights they preferred. I asked him if it had been a preview of Glastonbury and he said "no". He said it was more of a case of wanting to shake up the setlist because he said that stadium felt real big to them.

I'm not sure if those listening to the stream could hear a comment that Bono made late in the show where he was about to say 360 tour, then quickly changed it to say 320. The reason he said it was that at Angel Stadium, there were no seats directly behind the stage. When Larry's drum stand rotated, he was playing primarily to a wall. He seemed to be saying that they came up with a setlist that was meant to be different from a 360 setlist as a result of this.

That said, I think Glastonbury may have a similar setlist, though their appearance there is supposedly going to be 105 minutes, as opposed to the 135-140 minutes they currently do. I very much doubt that the song Glastonbury will be played, as in a conversation I had with Dallas Schoo 2 weeks ago, he said that Bono felt (and I think most fans will agree) that it wasn't quite there lyrically.

One of the other fans there asked him about the next tour. I overheard most of what he said to her but U2gigs had a link to her post for those who want to read it in her own words. Essentially Bono echoed what he told a fan in Sao Paulo who had requested they play Love Come Tumbling (video of which was on Youtube): that on the next tour, he wants them to play smaller "private shows" as he called them where they will play a lot more of the songs they don't regularly play and he specifically mentioned songs from Pop like Gone. He said they want to switch around the setlists a lot more.

Bono told someone else he was still on a high from Saturday's show, so he was as excited by it as were the fans. The fact that he asked for opinions on it from fans suggests that this type of setlist may continue on the 360 tour.

My wife, who is originally from Brazil and is part of U2BR, was responsible for the streams for the past 4 shows, but Anaheim was the last shows of the tour for us (unless we add a July weekend show which is tempting), so hopefully others will be able to stream the remaining shows.

:up: Great report. I think Glastonbury may have a similar setlist as well, and I think "changing the setlist because the stage could only be viewed in 320 degrees" is kind of a weird explanation. :lol: That said, I wouldn't mind a set similar to Anaheim II (great setlist!), but just move One and Streets to their normal positions. :reject:

awesome, thanks! :up: and a big fat :kiss: to your gorgeous wife . . . she certainly made my weekend thanks to her generosity :hug:

and the video's in here :heart: I have to pace myself . . . the ole ticker just can't cope with all the goodness :)

2. A good live set needn't be loaded with rockers.

I know that I'm in the minority, but I actually agree. I think 360 was designed for a purpose different than to be a rocker-fest - it was designed to bring an intimate setting to an outdoors show, but kind of retroactively turned into a rocker-fest. I do like the current setlist, but my personal preference is generally not being a huge fan of rocker-fest shows, and thus preferring 2009 (I know, this is really a minority opinion).

That being said, I'd still love to see a 2011 show.

That whole business about Bono calling it the 320 tour. That's only because the audience didn't surround the stage entirely. He said the same thing at the show I went to. Nothing to do with the setlist or Glastonbury.

I know that I'm in the minority, but I actually agree. I think 360 was designed for a purpose different than to be a rocker-fest - it was designed to bring an intimate setting to an outdoors show, but kind of retroactively turned into a rocker-fest. I do like the current setlist, but my personal preference is generally not being a huge fan of rocker-fest shows, and thus preferring 2009 (I know, this is really a minority opinion).

That being said, I'd still love to see a 2011 show.

How is 360 in 2011 a rocker-fest, when you compare it to ZooTV or PopMart? Hell, even the Vertigo shows, with Bullet, Electric Co., Zoo Station and Love and Peace or Else were much more based on more rocking side on U2 than what we have now. If we're talking Anaheim 2, if you skip the opening part of songs, there aren't that many songs that followed that are big U2 rockers.

I was there. Streets popping up where it did was amazing. It's not the same when you're reading it off of a list.

Absolutely! :hi5:

Early Streets was mindblowingly awesome. That setlist was bloody brilliant.
:love: :hi5:

:love: yes it was and I am so happy I was able to experience it with you!

With all you crackers :love: :hi5:

And thanks for the tweets during the show, you know who you guys are :sexywink:

Thanks for all the videos Dan and Chris.
Thanks to all the crackers for a FANtastic weekend. When can we do it again? :hyper: :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom