All Southern Hemisphere tour information/rumours here please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, as much as I'd like to agree, I think population plays a big factor here, you understand. California alone has more people than Australia and NZ combined.

Yes, but let's not forget that U2 sold 528,000 tickets for the Vertigo tour in AUS/NZ, and that's not including another 50,000 or so that would have gone to a Perth show. I wonder if they would sell that many tickets in California alone?

just one show in california sold around 90k tickets. i'm sure if they played five cities in california during one leg this tour, they'd easily sell 528k. i've rarely heard of artists having two legs in australia and new zealand, and i like quite a few bands from those countries.

Flemington racecourse would not really be suitable. Although it fits 100k+ for racing, thats mainly on lawns, whilst the grandstands sit lengthways facing about 400m of the home straight.

The showgrounds no chance at all, there isn't really a grandstand.

The new rectangular stadium is a possibilty, even for March. It seats 31k, plus however many can stand on the field. Apparently it will be finished this year, ready for use next year.

They seem to fit in shitloads for festival concerts though. If the Zurich gig goes ahead, it proves the 360 set-up can go on flat fields with some temporary grandstands set up around the GA fringe.

Regarding two legs, I think the most prohibiting factor is not population, but the sheer cost. It's a massive expense to get everything down here, and then you have further between our major centres than in many parts of Europe and North America - especially if you want to take the tour to Perth.

The only international acts I've seen do multiple legs down here are smaller bands without particularly elaborate staging.

South America update: Brazil is now rumoured to be getting four shows in November 2010 (three in Sao Paulo, one in Rio).

So what does this mean for March? I don't think the rumour's necessarily wrong (I certainly have no reason to doubt my source), but as other reports have indicated, the band have been looking into both March and October/November. Hence the conflicting timeframes.

I'm expecting October/November to happen (even if the March rumours have been stronger lately), since it makes more sense to do South America and Australia/New Zealand at once.

But who knows how this is going to play out in the end.

they won't. they'll simply set up the claw and hope people see and flock to the stadiums.

"ughhh... another silly structure in the city. we already have federation square. and now brumby decides to put this up? i'll be writing a letter to the editor about this!"

Well, as much as I'd like to agree, I think population plays a big factor here, you understand. California alone has more people than Australia and NZ combined.

i... did not know that.

:lol:

If the rumours are for March in Aus (I apologise for any ignorance I reveal here, I´ve been off interference for months), then shouldn´t tickets be going on sale soon? I seem to recall that for the Vertigo tour, which was original scheduled for March, tickets went on sale in Nov-Dec.

I personally think March is out. It would have been announced by now if it was going ahead in March. Oct/Nov is good because it means we can all save more cash to go to more shows, and seeing as ive just bought a Rickenbacker 330/12 i need to save more cash!

If the rumours are for March in Aus (I apologise for any ignorance I reveal here, I´ve been off interference for months), then shouldn´t tickets be going on sale soon? I seem to recall that for the Vertigo tour, which was original scheduled for March, tickets went on sale in Nov-Dec.

March is long gone. October-November 2010 looks like the go now.

Hopefully it will be more like October for Australia. Adelaide is already starting Heatwave #1 of the year...the earliest since 1887! If past summers have taught us anything: that if day time reaches over 40 degrees chances are the nights will be high 20s to low 30s. Put simply: INSANE!

Damn you global warming :angry:

Hopefully it will be more like October for Australia. Adelaide is already starting Heatwave #1 of the year...the earliest since 1887! If past summers have taught us anything: that if day time reaches over 40 degrees chances are the nights will be high 20s to low 30s. Put simply: INSANE!

Damn you global warming :angry:

Adelaide's heatwave will be at its peak while I'm down in Hobart. Me 1 - 0 Earth.

I personally think March is out. It would have been announced by now if it was going ahead in March. Oct/Nov is good because it means we can all save more cash to go to more shows, and seeing as ive just bought a Rickenbacker 330/12 i need to save more cash!

March is long gone. October-November 2010 looks like the go now.

Oh baby! I might be saving up for a return to NZ for U2 shows!!!

If Bono is reading this: December works better for me in NZ in 2010. kthxbai!

Im hoping like hell its Oct/Nov for Australia - im having a baby in April so i will need a few months to get over it and train my husband to look after it (cause he wont see me for a couple of days!)

They will play japan along side Australia & New Zealand right? Japan would be december? :/ I think 900$ for a round trip to japan just to see u2 at the end of the tour would be... worth it.... (i'm dreaming alot... but i really wish this could happen for me lol)

Japan would be done in conjunction with Australia and New Zealand, yes. I can't recall any actual rumours about Japanese shows off the top of my head, but since they have ALWAYS performed in Japan* when they have visited Australia and New Zealand, it's fair to expect that would continue.

*Well, OK, not quite always. The end of the War Tour was meant to include a leg of Australia, New Zealand, and Japan, but as the band were exhausted, they just visited Japan, and held off on the Australian and New Zealand dates until the start of the Unforgettable Fire Tour. They were meant to be together, though.

Spring's October/November down here. :wink:

February/March in Australia is not out of contention due to SOA; it is out of contention because the stadiums simply aren't available due to sports and other bands who have already booked tours ahead of U2. New Zealand did have the availability but it naturally has to be pushed back due to Australia being pushed back, and presumably the same applies to Japan.

We're not as severely desperate and dateless any more.

Plus we have no timothius. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom