UK Dates next Summer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was at Wembley on the Saturday night and there def was not thousends of empty seats! yes there was a batch where viewing was impossible but that was the same as every concert!

If you look at the offical fiqures there was only 2,000 different from Friday to Saturday and Friday was a Stadium record for a concert at Wembley!

The "impossible viewing" seats were covered in black material to prevent people from sitting there. Any red patch was an unused seat.

nZlYggMxulO_def90FS3vw
29kw0lg.jpg

It's a shame I can't post it in it's full glory, but look around the pitch side seats, the middle tier behind the stage and in the upper regions of the stands to the right. Loads and loads of empty seats :mad:
nZlYggMxulO_def90FS3vw

No offence intended, but although Wembley was sold out twice it was quite obvious large numbers of seats were empty. I have a stadium-wide photo of the Saturday night and there are literally thousands of empty seats. That just contributes to a poor atmosphere IMO

That said, I still want them to come back to the UK.

I think that's true for all shows these days, whether officially 'sold out' or not. The days of Live Aid-style seas of people and unbroken crowds in the stands are long gone, mostly to do with health and safety etc.

Purely as an interesting comparison, here's some attendance figures for concerts that have taken place in Croke Park, Dublin - all shows were officially declared to be sold out, yet figures vary because the maximum capacity clearly differs depending on the nature of the event staging, and inevitable health and safety considerations:

U2 (2009) - 243,198 equates to 81,066 per show
Take That (2009) - 77,988
The Police (2007) - 81,640
Robbie Williams (2006) - 78,905
Bon Jovi (2006) - 81,327
U2 (2005) - 246,743 equates to 82,248 per show

The stadium capacity is automatically reduced for all-seated concerts (to around 64k), with Neil Diamond and Celine Dion being recent examples. But, having been to several of the above concerts, I can verify that there were gaps in the crowds, and - objectively speaking - GA crowds that didn't fill the available space.

I think that stats like Billboard Boxscore go on the raw financial data of tickets available versus tickets sold - however, a ticket sold doesn't necessarily mean that the owner actually turns up on the night. It just means that, somewhere along the line, it's been paid for by somebody. If that original purchaser is a scalper who can't sell it on, or someone who's just unable to attend for whatever reason, the transaction is logged but the seat is empty. For example, at the 'totally sold out' U2 concert I went to on 25th July this year, there were four empty seats beside me for the entire show. Those seats were paid for, so it's a shame that their tenants didn't show up. (Or found a better vantage point perhaps? But the point remains valid that, unless they somehow made it onto the GA area, there were still seats unaccounted for somewhere.)

There were no UK dates on Lovetown, and there were no UK dates on the 2nd European leg of UF in early 1985 (but in mid-1985, they played Milton Keynes and Live Aid).

wow... ok... cheers for that Axver!

Yeah I'd say so, In November just before the Irish dates most likely.

Might be hard to do that in November while they're in Australia!

(No, Australia's not confirmed yet, but that's when they've been negotiating to come.)

Fingers crossed for Glastonbury. Just cos I've already got tickets for that :hyper:

I was at Wembley on the Saturday night and there def was not thousends of empty seats! yes there was a batch where viewing was impossible but that was the same as every concert!

If you look at the offical fiqures there was only 2,000 different from Friday to Saturday and Friday was a Stadium record for a concert at Wembley!

nor was there a bad atmosphere- Wembley 2 was just electric (or at least it was where I was anyway)

yes there were some empty seats but these were then highest/furthest away and were not in the thousands either- and some were blacked out as they weren't intended to be sold

Maybe I'm clutching at straws now, but, having looked at the dates for next year towards the end of June, at the moment 23rd then next official concert on the 30th, a full weeks break, maybe, just maybe a Glastonbury appearance could be on the cards, it would serve as a UK return, admittedly not with the Claw, but I doubt the Claw will be used in Berlin next month, you never know, and as this year proved, certainly in the UK at least, TV appearances seemed to have a far greater boost to album sales than the tour, after their second appearance on the Jonathon Ross show the album climbed from the never reaches of the chart back into the top 50, imagine how much a headline appearance at Glastonbury would boost not only NLOTH, but if released by then SOA, & the hits albums.

I cant see u2 playing Glasto either...as the organise (Mr Eavis) said he would not be asking u2 to play there again after being snubbed a few times.

October concerts are possible in Ireland and the UK.

The Police played Cardiff and Croke Park during October 2007.

I would guess a UK & Ireland tour being announced before Christmas

Back
Top Bottom