UK Dates next Summer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The crowd at Wembley was poor?

according to all reports wembley sold out, plus even if thats true, the UK does have plenty of stadiums away from london, that would easily sell out, and provide a great atmosphere, both Manchester stadiums, OLD TRAFFORD or the council house could stage the show, the Stadium Of Light in Sunderland, St. James in Newcastle, Parkhead or Ibrox in Glasgow, to be honest I will definetly be well PISSED OFF if they don't come back to the UK next year, 5 dates this year is a poor total for a country that has been a massive market for U2 over the years, and a piss poor way for the group to repay that loyal support!!!!!

I saw 4 shows this 3 in the UK and 1 in Holland. What is frustrating is I am happy to travel IF there arent going to be any more UK shows. But nothing has been confirmed either way, so your left in limbo as the shows sell out and your are left with less and less options as time goes on..

I'm too am pissed off no UK dates have been announced for 2010 while other places are being revisited! C'mon guys surely you have not forgotten Wembley Stadium Saturday 15th August 2009 already????

As Bono said.....they were just in london....and theres NOTHING going on down there.....its all going off up in Scotland!!:wink::up:

Wait what? Bono said that? hmmmmmm:D

well by the time they get back to europe / uk it will be a year after they were at wembley...

But, i've never been to Scotland so I would be open to that venue as long as there are 2 shows. I like to travel to locations with 2!:applaud:

it's not looking likely unless they finish the US tour where it's currently scheduled to finish- I'm off to see them in Paris & Brussels anyway, but I'd love to see them in the UK and/or Ireland again.

I suspect it will come down to the cost of shipping the stage over here again whether the evil money grabbing bastards at LN think they can make money from playing shows over here- but it does seem strange that they appear to be ignoring both UK & Ireland next year. They'll look fcuking stupid if SOA is a massive seller and they don't tour with it over here

UK yes or no for 2010 dates?

So do we think that U2 will add some UK dates to the 2010 leg? i honestly first thought they would but after looking at the US leg 3 dates i just can't see where they are going to fit in?

Thoughts?

The European Tour (currently mid-august to early October) is during football season making the majority of UK stadiums out of bounds. Aside from hitting the same venues as this summer, there are really very few options available.

If the Italian dates early August are true then I can't see any UK dates, they won't add them after Portugal (too cold) and there are only a few small gaps left to fill. I think the only chance us brits have is between 6th and 15th september, or failing that - road trip!

Seems to me like the UK has gotten the shaft, except for a very outside possibility of Belfast after Coimbra (not holding my breath).

The European Tour (currently mid-august to early October) is during football season making the majority of UK stadiums out of bounds.

there is still Murrayfield Stadium, Twickenham and Cardiff Arms Park if footie stadiums are off the menu. I just cant quite get my head round them not showing face at least once more in the UK, especially after revisiting other european countries

Seems to me like the UK has gotten the shaft, except for a very outside possibility of Belfast after Coimbra (not holding my breath).

Its based on demand. Demand in the UK is not is strong on 360 as it was on Vertigo. Scotland had smaller attendance this time despite lower prices. So did the middle part of England with Sheffield. Wales did only a few thousand better than the Vertigo tour, but the Vertigo tour stop there soldout within hours while the 360 date was on sale for months.

Its based on demand. Demand in the UK is not is strong on 360 as it was on Vertigo. Scotland had smaller attendance this time despite lower prices.

Eh.....it cost me and my mates nearly double to see the 360 tour compared to Vertigo Tour!
And considering there was only about 5% of the seats unsold (due to poor view at either end of the stadium), as opposed to to about 35-40% on the Vertigo tour...due to the stage being placed along one whole side of the stadium..I doubt your statement!

The 360 tour had huge demand in the UK, it broke both attedance records at wembley AND Cardiff, and no doubt cardiff.

It's the distinction drawn between the UK and Europe. The UK is part of Europe. UK folk often* to refer to Europe as the continent and themselves as UK/Britain.

* I can't really say how often this happens... a German first made me aware of it. When I was in Scotland this Summer, heard it all the time (people standing in Scotland and referring to Europe as a seemingly separate entity).

Thats cos it is a seperate entity. You've got North America, South America, Asia, Africa, Europe and the UK! The main reason that many brits feel this way is cos we colonised the world and so rightly regard ourselves superior and would never consider ourselves to be part of a continent. Especially one that included the French!!!:D

Eh.....it cost me and my mates nearly double to see the 360 tour compared to Vertigo Tour!
And considering there was only about 5% of the seats unsold (due to poor view at either end of the stadium), as opposed to to about 35-40% on the Vertigo tour...due to the stage being placed along one whole side of the stadium..I doubt your statement!

Na he's right, the boxoffice figures indicate on average cheaper tickets on 360 compared to Vertigo and also a slightly smaller attendance.

Its based on demand. Demand in the UK is not is strong on 360 as it was on Vertigo. Scotland had smaller attendance this time despite lower prices. So did the middle part of England with Sheffield. Wales did only a few thousand better than the Vertigo tour, but the Vertigo tour stop there soldout within hours while the 360 date was on sale for months.

London Wembley Stadium 2 / 2 164,244 / 164,244 (100%)
Glasgow Hampden Park 1 / 1 50,917 / 50,917 (100%)
Sheffield Don Valley Stadium 1 / 1 49,955 / 49,955 (100%)
Cardiff Millennium Stadium 1 / 1 66,538 / 66,538 (100%)

Attendances at UK shows on 360 tour, just how much demand is required other than selling all tickets at each show?
You know as well as I do, if U2 come back to the UK next year they'd sell out any shows at any stadium, IF they don't come back I re-itterate my earlier post, its a piss poor way of treating their UK fans.

No offence intended, but although Wembley was sold out twice it was quite obvious large numbers of seats were empty. I have a stadium-wide photo of the Saturday night and there are literally thousands of empty seats. That just contributes to a poor atmosphere IMO

That said, I still want them to come back to the UK.

Uk population 60M = 5 Shows

Belgium, Finalnd, Denmark, portugal Population 31M = 8 shows!
Well, you cannot add those countries, cause different markets.
But maybe the UK's 5 shows represent demand...

I think these figures give an idea of the relative markets for U2. I think the Benelux is even a bigger market than the data show, given the unbelievable fast sellouts in Brussels and Amsterdam. Croke Park 3 took very long to sellout, as well as London 2 and some of the other UK dates. Germany is a relative weak market. The biggest country in Europe and for the 3 shows in 2010 there are still a lot of tickets available IN ALL SEATING CATEGORIES!!
Italy and Spain are probably as big markets (maybe even bigger) as the UK.

Ireland: 6,3M / 3 shows (2,1M/show)
Benelux: 27M / 4 shows (6,75M/show)
USA, Canada 342M / 20 shows 2009, ~20 shows 2010? (8,5M/show)
UK: 61M / 5 shows (12M/show)
France: 65M / 4 shows (16,3M/show)
Germany: 82M / 5 shows (16,4M/show)

Yer damn right. Its that superior feeling u get from being a Brit!:wink:

Maybe that sense of national pride is what makes the UK unhappy about Europe usurping their political power. Unlike the cheese-eating surrender monkeys on the other side of the Channel ;)

it would be a shame if they don't go back to the UK... i would be really really surprised if they didn't to be honest...

it's especially tricky for UK fans with presale codes not knowing whether to hold on to them just in case some dates do come up, or to just go ahead and use them on other non-UK dates...

has the UK ever been left out before??

No offence intended, but although Wembley was sold out twice it was quite obvious large numbers of seats were empty. I have a stadium-wide photo of the Saturday night and there are literally thousands of empty seats. That just contributes to a poor atmosphere IMO

That said, I still want them to come back to the UK.

I was at Wembley on the Saturday night and there def was not thousends of empty seats! yes there was a batch where viewing was impossible but that was the same as every concert!

If you look at the offical fiqures there was only 2,000 different from Friday to Saturday and Friday was a Stadium record for a concert at Wembley!

has the UK ever been left out before??

There were no UK dates on Lovetown, and there were no UK dates on the 2nd European leg of UF in early 1985 (but in mid-1985, they played Milton Keynes and Live Aid).

Back
Top Bottom