[Speculation] Summer 2010 Tour Dates on Eventful website

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This just seems to be somebody's speculation.

Somewhat uninformed speculation, too, since the second Chicago show is far more likely to be on the 14th of September rather than the 13th. Although this doesn't always hold true, normal practice for the start of a U2 tour leg is to have an off-day between the first and second shows, even if they are in the same city (see San Diego and Toronto on Vertigo's first and third legs).

The opening nights of these tour legs had back-to-back shows:

-Europe 2005
-Europe 2001
-Europe 1997
-North America Fall 1997
-Oz 1993
-North America Fall 1992
-North America Fall 1987
-Europe 1989
-Oz 1989

The only relative certainty is at least 1 day between barcelona and the next show. Likely to be a 2nd concert or another Spanish city.

The opening nights of these tour legs had back-to-back shows:

-Europe 2005
-Europe 2001
-Europe 1997
-North America Fall 1997
-Oz 1993
-North America Fall 1992
-North America Fall 1987
-Europe 1989
-Oz 1989

The only relative certainty is at least 1 day between barcelona and the next show. Likely to be a 2nd concert or another Spanish city.

Europe 2005 didn't. 10 June in Brussels, 12 June in Gelsenkirchen.

Your ZooTV example is wrong too. The first leg's first two shows were on consecutive nights; the third leg is debatable, depending on whether you count Hershey as the first show or not (I would say it's applicable here, in that U2 play like to play a public show and then have at least a day until the next to work out flaws, and Hershey was indeed a paid public show, with four empty days between it and the first East Rutherford gig).

Since the scheduling of U2's tours changed a bit in the 1990s to reduce the amount of consecutive nights, I'll count from then. Out of 17 tour legs from 1992 to 2006, just five have started with the first two shows on consecutive nights. Namely, they are the first and fifth legs of ZooTV, second and third legs of Popmart, and the second leg of Elevation. Actually, that total should probably be six, to count the fourth leg of ZooTV too - there was a dress rehearsal in Rotterdam but it wasn't a proper paid public show like Hershey, and the first three proper shows in Rotterdam were on consecutive nights.

So U2 are definitely more likely to schedule a gap day than not.

So U2 are definitely more likely to schedule a gap day than not.

Is the issue you're addressing have to do with Bono's voice or having an extra 24 hours to tweak the show? There will be a day off after the opening barcelona show, but Chicago has no real reason and it adds another day to the Chicago booking which may or may not conflict with the NFL. Venue rental for an extra day in an empty building is couch change to U2.

It's easier to go from Stadium leg to stadium leg(or arena to arena) than it is to go from an arena leg to a stadium show. I think u2 did the fall 97 Toronto show with only a soundcheck that day.

This tour will likely have a fair amount of days off. Gives the band lots of time to sleep in homes/beds they own.

Is the issue you're addressing have to do with Bono's voice or having an extra 24 hours to tweak the show? There will be a day off after the opening barcelona show, but Chicago has no real reason and it adds another day to the Chicago booking which may or may not conflict with the NFL. Venue rental for an extra day in an empty building is couch change to U2.

It's easier to go from Stadium leg to stadium leg(or arena to arena) than it is to go from an arena leg to a stadium show. I think u2 did the fall 97 Toronto show with only a soundcheck that day.

This tour will likely have a fair amount of days off. Gives the band lots of time to sleep in homes/beds they own.

I'm just saying it's the band's pattern (and a strong pattern, with over two thirds of the legs of the last two decades' tours conforming to it), and I anticipate that the pattern will remain unbroken. I mean, there are three days between Chicago and Toronto; as soon as I saw the tour schedule, it leapt out at me that there was an allowance for the gap day at the start of the leg if the band want it.

Though yes, I'd say the likely reason for the pattern of gap days is because it allows a whole day to assess how the opening night went and make any necessary tweaks. Obviously I'd agree with your take that it is easier to go from stadium show to stadium show than arena to stadium or vice versa. So I won't be shocked if there isn't a gap day. All I'm doing is pointing out that the 14th is just as likely a date as the 13th for the second gig, especially in light of historical patterns, so people should be prepared for either outcome.

total speculation thread, we don't get the 2010 MLB schedule here at the Oakland coliseum till mid September 09 so there is no way to know if that date is available..sounds nice, might even work out, but its not set. Personally I don't think they will play here at all, because of our stadiums layout, we have to much foul territory and we can't roll the football seats out that time of year (it ruins the grass) so the $250 field level seats would simply be to far away to be sold for $250 and that stage in the middle will be a long way away from anyone. Not to mention that back is a solid wall of cement without the football roll outs

I think the only bay area venue this place works at in the summer is the dreaded and outdated candlestick park, its old and decrepit, but it would work for a concert, just like sam boyd is a miserable little football stadium but it can pull off a concert...even at that candlestick will be a bad venue, just tighter than the others. This is what you get for not having a proper facility

No Pittsburgh, Edmonton ot Montreal? Buffalo is a candidate if it's an off year for Toronto.

Would the 2nd swing through Europe be before or after?

Interesting the every region has a show on both legs within possible driving distance.
I'm certain that the band have said that the 2nd European tour would be August and September 2010

I thought they said it was going to be US June/July 2010 and Europe August/September 2010

I highly doubt these dates are true.

However, if they actually did decide to play here in East Lansing, you would all be welcome to crash at my place, seeing as I'm currently a student here.:up:

I agree that these dates are highly speculative. There are a few other discrepancies between the originally announced October 2009 dates and what Eventful has listed:

Oct 3 - Durham instead of Raleigh
Oct 12 - Houston
Oct 15 - Norman
Oct 17 - Dallas

Maybe if these dates, as well as the Montreal and Baltimore September shows, end up being what's finally officially announced we'll be able to give more credence to the 2010 dates.

Still hoping!

Digging up this thread. Well, FWIW, Eventful.com was right on the second Chicago date being Sept. 13.

I am extremely skeptical, however, that they would actually play Lambeau Field in Green Bay on Saturday July 3, 2010, as the site still says.

Digging up this thread. Well, FWIW, Eventful.com was right on the second Chicago date being Sept. 13.

I am extremely skeptical, however, that they would actually play Lambeau Field in Green Bay on Saturday July 3, 2010, as the site still says.

i'm with you there. it would be a dream come true, but highly doubtful.

Damn old threads :angry:

They have the Oakland show starting at 1pm on June 22, 2010... which is a Tuesday:

1 event matching 'u2' in San Francisco - Eventful

I know there are a lot of unemployed people in Oakland, but I kinda doubt 60,000 of them will show up to see U2 on an early weekday afternoon, unless there's free beer

I was all ready to take the day off from work.. :wink:

Subscriber update

Just got the Subscriber update email from U2.com regarding the down time for Zootopia on 9/18. The last paragraph stuck out like sore thumb:

"That's it for now, enjoy the site - and here's a big hint.... you might want to check back on U2.com in the next few days for some pretty exciting news! (Our lips are sealed...)"

Tour date announcements maybe???

I have word from a very reliable source at Land Shark Stadium in Miami that Live Nation has booked the stadium for an entire week in July. The U2 concert will take place July 9th with a second potential date held and that is why they reserved a week. They need setup time, 2 dates and break down time. The Marlins schedule for 2010 just got released and they do not play at home in July until the 16th.

Same with the Phillies schedule. They are away on July 20th. I know they play in a seperate stadium, but a lot of their games sellout.

If they play Lambeau Field I will truly be flabbergasted. And yes I saw that cryptic e-mail from U2.com about a huge announcement coming soon, and I'm sure it's about the 2010 tour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom