September 15, 2010 - Olympic Stadium, Munich, Germany

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I advice everyone traveling to Munich for the show to book a room asap because there's a fair in town and the Oktoberfest is starting the following week. Room prices are ridiculous and most are already sold out, and if you haven't booked a room by now it doesn't look good unless you have a little fortune to spend. :|

So who else is going to the show? I have a feeling it will be special. Munich is always great. I just hope it won't rain as it did in 2005, that was one incredibly wet show :no:

Where is everyone staying? Hotel rates are just totally over the top at the time of the concert because they have a huge fair in town and the Octoberfest is about to start only a couple of days after the U2 concert. The stadium, however, is great and there's a really beautiful big park surrounding it. I've always found the sound quality to be really good in the stadium. The only thing I really hate about it is the fact that GA entrance is upstairs and you have to run down what seems an endless number of stairs to the field, it just stresses me a lot every time.

So who else is going to the show? I have a feeling it will be special. Munich is always great. I just hope it won't rain as it did in 2005, that was one incredibly wet show :no:

Where is everyone staying? Hotel rates are just totally over the top at the time of the concert because they have a huge fair in town and the Octoberfest is about to start only a couple of days after the U2 concert. The stadium, however, is great and there's a really beautiful big park surrounding it. I've always found the sound quality to be really good in the stadium. The only thing I really hate about it is the fact that GA entrance is upstairs and you have to run down what seems an endless number of stairs to the field, it just stresses me a lot every time.

Ended up buying a Red Zone ticket just the other day.. Would have held out for GA drop but would rather be safe.. Seems like this is a tougher ticket than the other two German shows I attended in August.

Hotel rates are insane. I ended up getting a good deal at a place in Augsburg so some commuting will be involved. I'm just glad to be going. Can't wait not only to see U2 again in Germany, but also to see Munich and Bavaria. (Planning a trip to Salzburg as well)

Munich is a nice city, but quite expensive. I have relatives and friends there, I'm there quite a lot. Salzburg is beautiful, I'll go there for a couple of days after the Munich show. It's in my country, Austria, but I haven't been there in a while. Enjoy your trip :wave:

Thanks!

Unfortunately I'll have to cut Salzburg out. So little time and so much to do in Munich. And it is very expensive!

Another time I suppose...

U2tour.de is reporting that a Champions League game is taking place in the Allianz Arena that same day (Bavaria - Roma), so that should cause some chaos in public transport. It's reasonable to go to the stadium as early as possible, but getting home after the show will still be an adventure, since the football game is supposed to end around the same time as the U2 show.

Also, the Hard Rock Cafe Munich will have a special U2 day on 15 September with the U2 quiz ending on 14 September and the winners being announced that day. They should play some U2 music around that time, so it will definitely be worth checking out. It's opposite the famous Hofbräuhaus.

Now I hope it will be a little warmer in Munich than it is in Vienna right now. :|

...so... :D who's going? :hyper: I am :hyper:
My first concert outside of the country I live in :rockon: (only 3rd overall :sad:)

I'm going to the show too :) :wave: I'm looking forward to it and I believe it will be special :applaud: I hope it won't rain :pray: It's no secret that U2 show looks magically in rain but rain isn't good for the band and for audience too.

Anyone know how long it takes to get from the Olympic Park to Hauptbahnhof?

Have to take a train to Augsburg. There's a train at 00:06 and then at 03:17 so obviously I'd want to shoot for the midnight one. However if the show ends ehh 11 ish, does that leave enough time?

Also, anyone know if backpacks are allowed into the stadium?

Can store at Haupthbahnhof, but am not sure if I'll be able to retrieve it that late at night. Anyone know if the lockers are accessible that late?

Yes, the lockers should be accessible 24/7. But to make sure I'd check what's written there, just in case. I don't know if you can take your bag in. Depends on how big it is and most of all what's in it. Hopefully you're not the guy in front of me when I'm getting in through security.

Yes, the lockers should be accessible 24/7. But to make sure I'd check what's written there, just in case. I don't know if you can take your bag in. Depends on how big it is and most of all what's in it. Hopefully you're not the guy in front of me when I'm getting in through security.

That's why I'm hoping that the HBF has viable 24/7 storage. Last thing I want to be is that guy:angry:

GA entrance(s) on the south side of the stadium, where the stairs are:

U2TOUR.DE - Photo

You have to run down all the way to the field.

I think the Munich stadium has one of the biggest GA areas of any stadium U2 is playing.

Is no one here going to Munich? :sad:

Well, I'm off to the station and will be in Munich later today.

Weather is said to be a little moody with sunny periods and clowds, but also the occassional rain shower, but not too bad and nowhere near the very wet Vertigo show in Munich 2005. Temperatures around 20 degrees which is perfect.

Everyone going to the show: Try to get to the stadium as early as possible because there is also a Champions League game going on in the Allianz Arena which is close to the stadium and the Munich public transport agency has been sending messages to people attending the event to prevent a total chaos. You can reach the Olympic stadion by subway lines U1 and U3. If you go to the stadium early enough you should be ok, but trains will probably be crowded after the show because the football game ends around the same time than the concert. So especially people going to the main station should just be prepared for huge crowds and long waits.

The Olympic Stadion is amazing, I've seen many concerts there. It's beautiful and is located in a big park with a lake and the Olympic Tower, where you have a great view of the whole area. If the weather is fine you can basically spend all day there. The stadium itself is great because the sound is really good. It has one of the largest GA areas of all European stadiums. Usually they set up a second barrier in the pit because there are so many people in GA. The entrance is a bit tough because you have to run down so many steps to reach the pit.

I wish everyone going a great concert experience. Take a dry pair of socks and a rain coat with you :wink:

Cheers @last unicorn...

Well I'm attending the tomorrow's gig... Hope it's going to be a good one an on pair with my italian 360 gigs (Milano, Torino)...

BTW: we're arriving by car (from direction Salzburg) and there seems to be lot of confusion if "envirometnal vignette" is needed when coming to Olympia Park?

Regards,

Weather is said to be a little moody with sunny periods and clowds, but also the occassional rain shower, but not too bad and nowhere near the very wet Vertigo show in Munich 2005. Temperatures around 20 degrees which is perfect.

Everyone going to the show: Try to get to the stadium as early as possible because there is also a Champions League game going on in the Allianz Arena which is close to the stadium and the Munich public transport agency has been sending messages to people attending the event to prevent a total chaos. You can reach the Olympic stadion by subway lines U1 and U3. If you go to the stadium early enough you should be ok, but trains will probably be crowded after the show because the football game ends around the same time than the concert. So especially people going to the main station should just be prepared for huge crowds and long waits.

The Olympic Stadion is amazing, I've seen many concerts there. It's beautiful and is located in a big park with a lake and the Olympic Tower, where you have a great view of the whole area. If the weather is fine you can basically spend all day there. The stadium itself is great because the sound is really good. It has one of the largest GA areas of all European stadiums. Usually they set up a second barrier in the pit because there are so many people in GA. The entrance is a bit tough because you have to run down so many steps to reach the pit.

I wish everyone going a great concert experience. Take a dry pair of socks and a rain coat with you :wink:

me and a friend of mine are flying to Munich tommorow morning, we should be there at around 9.00 AM
we plan to leave our stuff and spend the whole day at the park

...oh and a :hyper: from me

:wave:

20 degrees? That's good :up: :) Thanks for the info.

Well, there was an official strike, but no "real" strike, people could still use the metro, trams and busses. There was some chaos due to so many people coming from the concert and the champions league game, though. I am so glad my hotel wasn't far away, I walked to the stadium and back again. Wheather was, overall, better than we expected it to be. And I visited the Olympic tower for the first time and had an amazing view of the area, the stadium and the claw. I'll post pictures within the next days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom