September 12, 13 - Soldier Field - Chicago PART FOUR!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think i'll stay in the back of GA tonight. I don't like the sound from the claw. Bono's voice sound too high pitched and it is way too loud even for an outdoor show.

I hurt everywhere. I do have positives to speak of, which I can detail later, but I just want to warn the GA goers. Just like those who have posted before me, the GA inner circle was not cool. The view of the band from 1 person off of the back rail was great. Not much of a full screen view, but that was ok. What was not ok was the fact that there were WAY TOO MANY people in the inner circle. I don't know if it was the same in Europe, but it was uncomfortable and definitely not safe in case of emergency. Also, no thanks to the constant stream of vendors with their HUGE trays coming through the already too tight crowd every 2 minutes. We had 3 beer guys standing next to each other at one time! If you want to get in the inner circle and plan to leave it, only leave once and do it before Snow Patrol is over! Although, I don't recommend missing any of Snow Patrol! Again, there are positives, which I will post later. Understand that I am not a rookie in this department. Since the Elevation Tour, I have been in GA 12 times total, in the heart once, and in the ellipse 4 times and this was nothing like those times. It was more like being 3 off the outer rail on the Vertigo DVD filming night with the crowd smashing towards the front as much as possible and with every "winner" imaginable pushing through to "Get on the DVD!" Now that you know, you can make your own decision. Have fun! My positives will be forthcoming.

Ugh, I think I'm in dire need of Red Zone tickets now :crack:

Thats a good tip. We ended up following the crowd and ended up exiting in a way that we had to walk probably twice what we would have if we had exited on the stage side.

I didn't show up until about 6:30 stood by the soundboard and had a blast. Great show and great crowd.

How was the view from there Rosa? I didn't realize you were doing GA for Chicago. Going to Chicago 2? We went to see It Might Get Loud last night. Great movie for all you Edge fans. Jimmy Page is priceless.

One more tip for those who do go in the inner circle. DO NOT attempt to jump up, hang on to the bridges, and go for a ride as they're moving to their next location. You will be removed immediately. Seriously, I saw this happen. Why it was a good idea to someone, I don't know.

Why would anyone think that's a good idea? :doh:

My friend I arrived in the GA line on Saturday about 12 Noon. It seemed like we were pretty far back, but a few hours later, the line started to condense and move, and we entered the stadium around 5pm. We went to stand/sit in the second row on the outer rail on Adam's side. Overall, not many hiccups and an amazing vantage point, IMO. I got some great pictures and you have an amazing view of the stage, claw, and entire stadium from the outer rail. I loved every minute of it. :applaud::drool:

Well, others are saying it wasn't that bad where they were in the inner circle. All I know is that where I was, 1 person in from the back rail of the inner circle on Adam's side, it was less than ideal.

I don't know, after Wildhoney's take in the other thread, I think I'll stick to outside the inner circle.

Reading thru all the experiences. Maybe I'm missing something...but seems to me it still makes sense to line up early, but make sure you are ready for the crush (and know how to adapt) when it happens. If you're ready, you'll still have as good / better a chance than the line-jumpers/herd. Well that and not to sweat it if someone else does end up in front of you. I go to events like this in Toronto all the time, where there is little gate control, no real lineup and a just a crush of people from all directions trying to enter. You jostle, surge, give, get, and then eventually squeeze thru the security opening and pop out on the other side and breathe a huge sigh of relief when you see just how many options you have in terms of where to stand. I think the only people who would have a problem with this would be the people who think they are entitled to be on the front rail. For everyone else, it's just about getting into the venue and getting relatively close. No biggie imo. :shrug:

No Gabe, it was dangerous. There is no adapting to that. It really was a big deal. Sorry.

I don't know, after Wildhoney's take in the other thread, I think I'll stick to outside the inner circle.

My friends on the front rail had all kinds of room. lol. That's a first. Elsewhere, not so much. I am convinced there was no count of any kind happening by the venue staff. You only got an inner circle wristband if you wanted to leave and come back. Amateur Hour.

Yeah, sorry to hear about all this. We were like :huh:
wtf.

Well, I guess I will just wake up at a normal hour the day of the concert dates I have and enjoy the claw from a distance.
I actually wanted to enjoy the view from the sound board area.

I think the inner circle is mainly bunched up right in front of Bono, but the sides are less condensed. I was watching a YouTube video of the opening and I could see the inner circle floor on Edge's side. It didn't seen to packed at all. But in front of Bono it did.

YouTube - U2 Concert in Chicago -- Grand Entrance

Check it out. Am I wrong?

I was in Red Zone 2 (Adam's side), and they looked like they were pretty well-packed in there, but that was my limited perspective.

Can you enter in from both sides? Or is there only one enterance at Adam's side???
If there is only an enterance at Adam's side that explains why it was packed at that side. People don't realize there is more room on Edge's side.

Outside rail would have been the best place, to be honest.

Amen Chels !!!!!!! She is dead on right ! Sad thing is Stacey at first had us a PREMO Spot Outside Inner Circle Edge's Side but I like a clown wanted to get as close as we could:doh:

Outside inner circle is the place to be unless you enjoy being really really close to AssClowns although everyone around us was really really nice I don't know maybe I am to old to be in The Mosh Pit Area:huh: it did not help my heels were killing me & I mean killing me

Even without playing the video you can see that there is room on Edge's side and its packed in front

My friend and I were in the Inner Circle last night. There were a lot of older drunk women in the crowd. The stage is really high, so if you are in the Inner circle it is best to be on the outside rail near the ramp instead of the main stage. Also the only entrance is past the Red Zone on Edge's Side. The reason that no one is past the Bridge on Edge's side is that the stage is raised so you can't see anything.

Guys:

Chicago sounds like a nightmare indeed, glad I had seats.

But let me say this:

I did GA in three different stadiums for the first leg of this tour, and there were varying degrees of preparedness on behalf of stadium security.

So, as bad as this sounds, don't necessarily think that it absolutely applies to your venue. It might be the same, it might be even worse, but it's not a guarantee.

Sorry for all the shit people endured yesterday, it truly sounds like one of my worst nightmares as I have trouble being that shoehorned into a space.

Is that true, too, if you want to be in a spot that allows you to go to the washroom around 7-7:30pm?

Also, what time did Bono come out in the afternoon? Probably not doing GA the second day, so wouldn't mind sauntering over for an autograph.

Thanks!

Lady Outside Rail you will enjoy the show ten times better IMHO ! Be where you can move around freely

Bono stopped for about three minutes at about 5:30p.m. it is right near where the VIP's enter the stadium you cannot miss it as there is security out the WAZOO waiting for the cars to arrive look for the black gate area there will be about 50 people some holding signs one girl had a sign that said I LOVE YOU BONO

Lady Outside Rail you will enjoy the show ten times better IMHO ! Be where you can move around freely

Bono stopped for about three minutes at about 5:30p.m. it is right near where the VIP's enter the stadium you cannot miss it as there is security out the WAZOO waiting for the cars to arrive look for the black gate area there will be about 50 people some holding signs one girl had a sign that said I LOVE YOU BONO

Kind of ironic that there's more room to roam in the outside pit where there's 2-3x more people but I believe you.

Sorry, as for the second point, I'm not in Chicago - I'm thinking of Day 2 of the Toronto show on Thurs. but thanks for the time - I'll keep that in mind :up:

My friend and I were in the Inner Circle last night. There were a lot of older drunk women in the crowd. The stage is really high, so if you are in the Inner circle it is best to be on the outside rail near the ramp instead of the main stage. Also the only entrance is past the Red Zone on Edge's Side. The reason that no one is past the Bridge on Edge's side is that the stage is raised so you can't see anything.

You can get in on both sides. We got in on Adam's side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom