September 12, 13 - Soldier Field - Chicago PART FOUR!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Having a good time so far. Me and Kaf on Edge's side. My feet are hurting and I am sunburnt. :crack:

Also, I don't understand why some people go to a friggin U2 show and leave 3songs before the show is done. These guys were a bunch of idiots and were just standing there not having fun and basically making fun of the show.

Oh and this lady at the ga entrance was trying to figure out how to snap shut my wristband for like 5 mins. I'm like you gotta be kidding me. :doh:

well it got really crowded and tight and there was a few annoying line cutters so given that my wife is pregnant and wasn't feeling so hot during snow patrol, we bailed on the spot 8 feet from the rail, and that was fine with me, even though i waited from 2pm on to get that spot.

the thing with the stage setup is that it really dwarfs the massive stadium. standing at the back of the crowd on the floor close to the sound booth we were still infinitely closer to the band than on any of my nosebleed stops at the United Center. staggeringly close really, there isn't a bad spot on the floor.

camping out isnt really worth it for that reason, i suppose. 12 hours really only buys you like 50 feet, so i say screw it, i'm showing up at 6pm when i hit up LA in october.

i saw that u2gigs called the set safe, but i think i can safely say that of the 19 shows i have seen now since 1997 this was easily my very favorite. every song was welcome and excellent (even pride, which surprised me) and the band seems to be having an excellent time, with Larry and Adam smiling a lot more than i can remember them doing in the past.

i'm exhausted, but it was an amazing experience.
what a night! what a show! what a guitar player!

Quick question , too late at night and don't want to read every page of the thread, but how early did everyone line up at?

my GA tickets are tomorrow. had seats tonight. awesome gig.

It is late so I will be brief (4:25A.M.)

My wife & I waltz into GA/Floor Section at right about 6p.m. after waiting for over an hour for U2 to drive up at the gate that let's them into The Bat Cave or The Underground Place to SF's ....Huge SUV pulled up Bono gets out for right about three minutes signing autographs & talking briefly

I asked one of the clowns by the signs near GA that said something like Red Zone VIP if my wife & I could go in that section he said "sure you have a green bracelet proceed...." so we did we were six rows back from FOS Adam's Side squished like sardines & if one more person came by bumping one of us I was gonna bring The Smack Down one guy did bump into my wife a tad & I was already mad so I gave him just a little shove & told him to get going LOL he was a drunk ass monkey

So 6p.m. got us six rows back from FOS:up:

A few suggestions for anyone going to ChiCLAWgo 2

1. If you have GA don't let anyone talk you into walking alot prior to GA Stacey thought it would be nice to walk from Clark & Lake all the way to SF it did not even dawn on me that we would have to be standing all night & my heels were ******* killing me by the time U2 hit the stage:doh:

2. After the show do not believe one MOFO TaxiCab driver who tells you before the show "Just come outside after it is over there will be plenty of cabs to take you to Clark & Lake to get on The Blue Line..." b/c they are lying SOB's

3. If you have to take a bus anywhere wait for the herd to clear first or your ass will be jammed packed on a bus & look for a tall big black guy who is super friendly & knows ChiCLAWgo like nobody's buisness b/c he hooked Stacey & I up w/ a private shuttle that took us straight to The Blue Line at Clark & Lake ....... we were the only two on that bus:up: he will be the guy directing the buses out of SF

4. Unless you enjoy being squished like a can of sardines & every five minutes some AssMonkey bumping into you to get somewhere else the best place is OUTSIDE of the inner circle close to the stage believe it!

Crazy Tonight remix sucked.

GA inner circle was ridic. And not in the good way.

and lmao @ my twitpics. The line situation was bad news.

Disagree w/ the first agree w/ the second

For Vertigo I had GA & was by the sound board in Cleveland & had a great experience I was able to roam freely & was not shoved together like a herd of live stock

It was nice this time to be so close to the FOS after getting inside SF at about 6p.m. except for those things mentioned above & elsewhere

Amazing show! Even from my seats high in the 400s, I didn't feel like I was missing a thing. That screen they have is unbelievable.

The only thing I didn't like about being up there is that a lot of the people were I guess what you'd call pretty casual fans. The girl on my left barely moved, spoke, or sang the entire night. It felt a little awkward being the one guy hollering his head off, dancing, and singing.

Pretty tired this morning. My son is up and I'm up with him so my wife can get a little extra sleep--her allergies are bothering her because our friend has a cat.

:lol: Last night it hit me: 75,000 people--it's ridiculous to expect to find anyone in that crowd unless you have specific plans to meet someone. So. . .the enjoy show fellow Interlanders and I'll see you online!

Although Soldier Field fucking failed with line organization and general preparedness, the show was a blast. Met some amazing folks, witnessed a sweet marriage proposal, had my Adam fangirl moment, and although I feel like death, it was worth it. Suffice it to say, however, I realized that some tall people who are line cutters are drawn to me like flies on shit, I am too out of shape for this GA all day line business, and I'm hoping that Soldier Field doesn't fuck it up for those tonight.

On my way to the airport now, whirlwind in Chicago complete!

closer to knowing....don't unload your ticket!!!

Tip I learned from chels, leave on the stage side...you will be that much closer to the museum and you will avoid the herd of people I was in last night. I hung out by the soundboard after the show to meet some people and that set me back timewise.

Instead of maybe meeting after the show, how about before?? Not sure what chris has planned, but I will try to get there between 4 and 430....gate 0, on the steps to the left if you are looking at the stadium. I'll be wearing jeans and a blue oxford

I won't be getting in line and won't go through the turnstiles until the whole line has gone in...if it is like yesterday it will be around 515

I am heading to Adams side and will sit to claim a spot....I plan on being outside the rail,not in the circle

-dan

4. Unless you enjoy being squished like a can of sardines & every five minutes some AssMonkey bumping into you to get somewhere else the best place is OUTSIDE of the inner circle close to the stage believe it!

Is that true, too, if you want to be in a spot that allows you to go to the washroom around 7-7:30pm?

Also, what time did Bono come out in the afternoon? Probably not doing GA the second day, so wouldn't mind sauntering over for an autograph.

Thanks!

As I am speaking from my phone, I'm in GA.

There are about 200-300 people here and it seems like some people cut but no one really seems to care, security is here around the lines but pretty lenient and I feel like this can be very sloppy but not complaining. The line is growing somewhat fast

Tip I learned from chels, leave on the stage side...you will be that much closer to the museum and you will avoid the herd of people I was in last night
one in

-dan

Thats a good tip. We ended up following the crowd and ended up exiting in a way that we had to walk probably twice what we would have if we had exited on the stage side.

I didn't show up until about 6:30 stood by the soundboard and had a blast. Great show and great crowd.

Not only did they have issues with queuing us in, after the show was a hell of alot worse. When leaving do not leave out the west side of the stadium and head north....major clusterf*ck...no movement...
For being that this stadium is so new, you would think that they would have a better plan to move 70,000 people away from the stadium. I would really hate to see what would happen if they had to evacuate the stadium...many would get hurt. Soldier Field needs to look more into there saftey plan.

Reading thru all the experiences. Maybe I'm missing something...but seems to me it still makes sense to line up early, but make sure you are ready for the crush (and know how to adapt) when it happens. If you're ready, you'll still have as good / better a chance than the line-jumpers/herd. Well that and not to sweat it if someone else does end up in front of you. I go to events like this in Toronto all the time, where there is little gate control, no real lineup and a just a crush of people from all directions trying to enter. You jostle, surge, give, get, and then eventually squeeze thru the security opening and pop out on the other side and breathe a huge sigh of relief when you see just how many options you have in terms of where to stand. I think the only people who would have a problem with this would be the people who think they are entitled to be on the front rail. For everyone else, it's just about getting into the venue and getting relatively close. No biggie imo. :shrug:

The upgrade is new but Soldier field has been around since the 20s

It looked like they blocked the street west of the stadium going northbound.....it would have been easier to open the gates and let people walk on the street

-dan

I hurt everywhere. I do have positives to speak of, which I can detail later, but I just want to warn the GA goers. Just like those who have posted before me, the GA inner circle was not cool. The view of the band from 1 person off of the back rail was great. Not much of a full screen view, but that was ok. What was not ok was the fact that there were WAY TOO MANY people in the inner circle. I don't know if it was the same in Europe, but it was uncomfortable and definitely not safe in case of emergency. Also, no thanks to the constant stream of vendors with their HUGE trays coming through the already too tight crowd every 2 minutes. We had 3 beer guys standing next to each other at one time! If you want to get in the inner circle and plan to leave it, only leave once and do it before Snow Patrol is over! Although, I don't recommend missing any of Snow Patrol! Again, there are positives, which I will post later. Understand that I am not a rookie in this department. Since the Elevation Tour, I have been in GA 12 times total, in the heart once, and in the ellipse 4 times and this was nothing like those times. It was more like being 3 off the outer rail on the Vertigo DVD filming night with the crowd smashing towards the front as much as possible and with every "winner" imaginable pushing through to "Get on the DVD!" Now that you know, you can make your own decision. Have fun! My positives will be forthcoming.

as having been to the dublin shows with GAs first two nites and seats the third.. Inner circle is NOT the place to be.. Outside rail along the catwalk is where it's at. And if you can't get the first 3 rows of that then go to the soundboard area and soak it all in.. I am going to end there for ny1 cuz of the fact that i have to drive in that day and can't line up early... I don't care tho I haven't had the soundboard perspective and want to give that a go.

One more tip for those who do go in the inner circle. DO NOT attempt to jump up, hang on to the bridges, and go for a ride as they're moving to their next location. You will be removed immediately. Seriously, I saw this happen. Why it was a good idea to someone, I don't know.

Does anyone know the approximate time the show got over? My friend and I are taking the train from the south side and being a Sunday and all, the last train leaves Union station at 11:40pm. We will probably be pushing it right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom