September 12, 13 - Soldier Field - Chicago PART FOUR!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You lined up at 2:00 PM and did not make it in? We have another person in this thread who lined up at 6:00 pm and says they made it in. Those two experiences seem to contradict each other. Did you go straight for the pit when the gates opened or did wait and did other things inside the stadium before trying to go into the pit?

Let me be clear I had ZERO wait in any line except a 30 second wait for them to scan our tickets and put on the bracelet & if I did not ask Security by VIP/RED ZONE Gate Adam's Side if we could go in there I would have assumed like my wife we were not allowed....

nobody needs to be in the pit. the people in there have absolutely no idea what they missed.

You Are The Man Right There Coolian:up::up:

Ok time to get my game face on for more walking/cattle car to lake/state to 146 Bus to Field Museum/Going to try to be by gate where Bono stopped last night at about 5:30p.m. for a few minutes/Seats tonight:drool:

Let me be clear I had ZERO wait in any line except a 30 second wait for them to scan our tickets and put on the bracelet & if I did not ask Security by VIP/RED ZONE Gate Adam's Side if we could go in there I would have assumed like my wife we were not allowed....

I know, I'm just wondering why clawgrabber did not make it in. Perhaps its because clawgrabber did not know that they needed to go through the area that said VIP/RED ZONE or they went to one side that had already reached its allotted number and closed, although the other side was still open, but presumed that was closed as well.

If 5:00 pm or 6:00 pm is good enough to make it into the pit for a show that is on a Saturday and U2's first show of the North American tour, then it will be even easier for shows during the work week. Essentially, just get there when the doors open and your in the pit.

The pit apparently fits 2,700 people, and perhaps that number is larger than the total number of people willing to line up before the show in each city the tour visits here in North America.

I remember back on the Elevation tour, you had to be one of the first 300 people in line to make it into the heart. You essentially needed to line up at least by 8:00 AM or 9:00 AM to insure you made it into the Heart.

nobody needs to be in the pit. the people in there have absolutely no idea what they missed.

Well, you don't actually know that, because someone in the pit could have come out, gone to the bathroom, watched a couple of songs from the back of the field, and then gone back into the pit.

The Pit allows you to have a RESERVED option up close to the stage. Once your in the pit and have been stamped, you can go and come as you please and always get close to the stage, relative to everyone else who is not in the pit. You can go to the bathroom, get something to eat, drink, and then go back in the pit.

If your not in the pit, like outside on the rail, and you leave to go to the bathroom, get food, drink, etc., you've lost your spot and when you return, you will be towards the back of the field and would have to struggle to get close to the stage area again.

But that person in the pit, gets to go and come with relative ease compared to the person not in the pit. If for some reason you don't like the pit, then you can leave and try another place outside, but least you have that option.

I know, I'm just wondering why clawgrabber did not make it in. Perhaps its because clawgrabber did not know that they needed to go through the area that said VIP/RED ZONE or they went to one side that had already reached its allotted number and closed, although the other side was still open, but presumed that was closed as well.

I apologize if my post came across a little aggravating b/c I am a tad b/c I should have known better than to walk so damn far yesterday PRIOR to having to STAND for hours on end ....... being close to the stage was nice I will admit but I had such a GREAT experience for Cleveland Vertigo Tour back by the soundboard I should have done the same exact thing this time or for once actually listen to my wife who at first said Outside Rail Edge's Side let's stay here.......:doh:

I apologize if my post came across a little aggravating b/c I am a tad b/c I should have known better than to walk so damn far yesterday PRIOR to having to STAND for hours on end ....... being close to the stage was nice I will admit but I had such a GREAT experience for Cleveland Vertigo Tour back by the soundboard I should have done the same exact thing this time or for once actually listen to my wife who at first said Outside Rail Edge's Side let's stay here.......:doh:

Well, technically I would think you would only need to stand up when Snow Patrol was playing and when U2 was playing. I know it can get packed in the pit, but I think if your out on one of the sides, with a completely side view of the band, it looks much less crowded. In fact, towards the back where you go through the gate, in many pictures there does not seem to be anyone standing there, although you then have a rear view of the band.

Its one thing to be back at the soundboard on the floor of a basketball arena, and definitely something else when its at the back of a 100 yard football field.

Last night was amazing!! The crowd was totally into it and sf is huge!

I was in section 113 and had a great view! Boys at the back
of ga were dancing maniacs!!

Getting back to hotel after show... Nightmare! Made it at
1:45am. :(

going tonight!! Grabbed ride with hotel concierge while arranging
airport transport for tomorrow! Wooo hooo

can't wait for nite two!!

But that person in the pit, gets to go and come with relative ease compared to the person not in the pit.

In past tours, this would be accurate. However, the phrase "relative ease" is miles away from reality this time around. Once U2 started, if you left the inner circle, you weren't getting back in to where you were, unless you weren't going far into the crowd. Every time someone around us left and said they'd be back, everyone would agree we wouldn't see them again. If they decide to allow less in tonight, then it might be different.

Its one thing to be back at the soundboard on the floor of a basketball arena, and definitely something else when its at the back of a 100 yard football field.

Good Point:up::up:

Sound was great last night

We left Inner Circle/Pit right before One started went Outside Rail Adam's side sound and sight still GREAT during WOWY we strolled towards back of Stadium sound still GREAT we walked out when we heard Rocket Man begin

Next shows I'm doing, soundboard is my spot. While I had a ton of fun, inner circle is for tall folks and people to are able to get on the front rail. Otherwise, you can't see shit and end up with people shoving in front of you who didn't line up but seem to think blocking your view is totally kosher. I'm not usually one to yell at someone and elbow them purposely but when i didn't see you in line all day and you don't seem to know any songs, you deserved to be elbowed. I don't fault anyone but my parents for the 4'10 stature but give me a fucking break.

No Gabe, it was dangerous. There is no adapting to that. It really was a big deal. Sorry.

I read your account, and I'm afraid the only thing I found frightening was this:

A guy had a seizure at the start of Bad. At first he couldn't fall down b/c there were so many people around so he was just collapsing on them. People were screaming on the venue security since we were like, 2 people off the rail and they just stood there. People in the crowd had to drag this poor guy to the rail and help get him over. It wasn't until someone, who we thing was from U2's team, came over that he got any help. this guy's poor sister was freaking out and Miroslava was comforting her and had to try to get her over the rail so she could go with him. Again, security didn't do much of anything

That's unfortunate and disturbing, admittedly.

Everything else you described seems about on par with the types of events I'm used to. Except of course gunmen don't shoot up U2 concerts and the police don't swarm with Emergency Task Force and Immigration Enforcement round-up crews, but I digress. :huh:

Glad to hear you made it through safely tho. :up:

Lady Outside Rail you will enjoy the show ten times better IMHO ! Be where you can move around freely

Bono stopped for about three minutes at about 5:30p.m. it is right near where the VIP's enter the stadium you cannot miss it as there is security out the WAZOO waiting for the cars to arrive look for the black gate area there will be about 50 people some holding signs one girl had a sign that said I LOVE YOU BONO

Where you waiting? I was there as well! One girl had a Will Work For Adam and Bono told her that he would too!

I guess I was lucky but I didn't have GA last night. I made it back to my hotel at midnight.

I walked to the Red Line with a few friends and then took the train.

Train was not crowded at all.

I knew it was a good idea not to get GA for Chicago!

Resting up for tonight. I have seats and taking my son so probably won't stay for the whole show but that's why I got cheapo seats!

Ok, trying to make difficult decisions here. Outer rail front or inner circle back rail? What I'm hearing the most of is outer rail obviously, but here's my situation, any input greatly appreciated! :D

I'm 5'9", and I don't mind a little pushing, as long as I don't get knocked over. (one of my favorite concerts was in a crazy mosh pit at Dropkick Murphys) And I would prefer to have something to lean against. This will be my first U2 show and I'm going with my sister who is a little shorter than me. I will probably start lining up around 6am (Boston).

So outer or inner? I can stand my ground, so I could take the inner, but if outer really is a better vantage point and atmosphere, I'll do that. Also, how often do U2 utilize the ramp/catwalk? If im next to the ramp, will they definitely be walking by me or do they ony use part of the ramp? I woud try to be in the front row but I've heard that the stage is so high and you can't take in the rest of the atmosphere really..I do want to be as close to U2 as possible though! Oh and do they reach down and shake hands with the fans or anything or are they too high up? And which row fills up faster: first row at backrail inner circle or first row outer circle? Sorry for the lengthy description but I have waited so long to finally see U2 and I want the best experience possible! :D Thanks!

In past tours, this would be accurate. However, the phrase "relative ease" is miles away from reality this time around. Once U2 started, if you left the inner circle, you weren't getting back in to where you were, unless you weren't going far into the crowd. Every time someone around us left and said they'd be back, everyone would agree we wouldn't see them again. If they decide to allow less in tonight, then it might be different.

I'm not talking about holding a certain position, I'm talking about just getting back into the pit, nothing else. No matter where you are in the pit, your closer to the band than more than 95% of the people in the stadium.

Next shows I'm doing, soundboard is my spot. While I had a ton of fun, inner circle is for tall folks and people to are able to get on the front rail. Otherwise, you can't see shit and end up with people shoving in front of you who didn't line up but seem to think blocking your view is totally kosher. I'm not usually one to yell at someone and elbow them purposely but when i didn't see you in line all day and you don't seem to know any songs, you deserved to be elbowed. I don't fault anyone but my parents for the 4'10 stature but give me a fucking break.

I would think though there are less people on the side or towards the rear of the pit. I think the most important thing about being in the pit is proximity to the action, regardless if that is a completely side view or slightly rear view.

Ok, trying to make difficult decisions here. Outer rail front or inner circle back rail? What I'm hearing the most of is outer rail obviously, but here's my situation, any input greatly appreciated! :D

I'm 5'9", and I don't mind a little pushing, as long as I don't get knocked over. (one of my favorite concerts was in a crazy mosh pit at Dropkick Murphys) And I would prefer to have something to lean against. This will be my first U2 show and I'm going with my sister who is a little shorter than me. I will probably start lining up around 6am (Boston).

So outer or inner? I can stand my ground, so I could take the inner, but if outer really is a better vantage point and atmosphere, I'll do that. Also, how often do U2 utilize the ramp/catwalk? If im next to the ramp, will they definitely be walking by me or do they ony use part of the ramp? I woud try to be in the front row but I've heard that the stage is so high and you can't take in the rest of the atmosphere really..I do want to be as close to U2 as possible though! Oh and do they reach down and shake hands with the fans or anything or are they too high up? And which row fills up faster: first row at backrail inner circle or first row outer circle? Sorry for the lengthy description but I have waited so long to finally see U2 and I want the best experience possible! :D Thanks!

I have not seen 360 yet, but I'm thinking inner circle, back rail, but on one of the far sides, so you have a completely side view of the band. The reason for this is that your still very close to the action, there are probably less people here than at any other place in the inner circle, plus in the inner circle you can leave and use restroom, get drinks or food, and still make it back in, while if your on the outer rail and loose your position because you need to do one of the above, then you probably won't get it back and may end up 10, 20, or 30 yards back from where you were.

Just my opinion, but I have not seen the 360 show yet.

Must add my 2 cents: we are old, so we got seats in section 335, about half-way up the side, just past The Claw. Great view! We drove up from west-central Indiana, checked into our hotel in Hammond, had supper, then drove up to SF. My brother had got a prepaid parking permit on the Woldren Deck across the street from SF, and we got in there without trouble. Were in our seats in time to see Snow Patrol--I liked them a lot! The Claw was amazing--the lights, the sound, the video are were spectacular. I could hardly believe my ears when I heard the opening notes of "Bad"--almost as good as Notre Dame in 2001, much better than the Chicago Vertigo shows. After the show, we sat for a while and got out of SF pretty easily. Getting out of the parking area was another story, however. I think it was about 1:30 when we got back to the hotel. I have no voice today from hollering, no hearing from the speakers. Good times! I'm glad we have to Scott Stadium show to look forward to now! :love: (Seats for that one, too--GA looked insane!)

Are you doing it all over again tomorrow? GA that is...
Nope, I'm home visiting family now, then heading to TO for more Bonopalooza :D
Having a good time so far. Me and Kaf on Edge's side. My feet are hurting and I am sunburnt. :crack:

Also, I don't understand why some people go to a friggin U2 show and leave 3songs before the show is done. These guys were a bunch of idiots and were just standing there not having fun and basically making fun of the show.

Oh and this lady at the ga entrance was trying to figure out how to snap shut my wristband for like 5 mins. I'm like you gotta be kidding me. :doh:
1. I wanted to kick those two guys in the FACE.

2. I was ready to jump over that lady and snap the damn thing on for you myself :lol: :crack:

Don't forget the guy who was leaning into me all night :mad:

I did GA in three different stadiums for the first leg of this tour, and there were varying degrees of preparedness on behalf of stadium security.

So, as bad as this sounds, don't necessarily think that it absolutely applies to your venue. It might be the same, it might be even worse, but it's not a guarantee.
This. You'd think the staff at Soldier Field had never seen a large crowd of people. I'm expecting other venues to be somewhat more organized.

The Pit allows you to have a RESERVED option up close to the stage. Once your in the pit and have been stamped, you can go and come as you please and always get close to the stage, relative to everyone else who is not in the pit. You can go to the bathroom, get something to eat, drink, and then go back in the pit.
That's what I like about it.

I loved being in the pit, personally. You're surrounded by stage - main stage, ramps, rotating briges(so cool). At one point the bridge stopped just over us and Bono hung over it and sang part of a song. So. Cool. I liked the outter-rail and being able to see the screens, but also getting to see the guys walk past you on the ramp. I'm as short as they come, but I had a decent view most of the night. Anytime I couldn't see the main stage, I just watched the screens.

Ultimately, I think I'll end up experimenting with different spots. That's the fun of going to multiple shows :D

Argh! I'm only going to one show and I can't decide where to go :scream: Back rail of pit, front rail outside?
It seems to be the question that haunts so many of us these days....

I wish I had a picture showing the best recommended spots, based on these experiences.

You and me both!

I tried to tell everyone that outside rail was best. I really did. I did.

That's just because you want the entire pit to yourself. And you don't even have GA tickets. Greedy! :tsk:

Well the only thing that may have been confusing was there were two sections one each side (Edge's & Adam's) with gates and security that said RED ZONE VIP & I said to Stacey "Can we go in there?" She said "No that is for VIP only.." but I decided to go over to one of the security guys and ask if we could he said "Sure you have a green bracelet go ahead...."

So if some people saw VIP/RED ZONE & assumed b/c they did not have VIP Tickets they were not allowed to enter that would put them Outsid Rail where I would have GLADLY traded places

So people with non VIP tickets and stuff were allowed into redzone areas and stuff? That seems odd. Or maybe there was extra room so they were letting people in?

Argh! I'm only going to one show and I can't decide where to go :scream: Back rail of pit, front rail outside?
It seems to be the question that haunts so many of us these days....

You and me both!

That's just because you want the entire pit to yourself. And you don't even have GA tickets. Greedy! :tsk:

Yeah, but I saw shows from GA three times now, hence my advice.

I have not seen 360 yet, but I'm thinking inner circle, back rail, but on one of the far sides, so you have a completely side view of the band. The reason for this is that your still very close to the action, there are probably less people here than at any other place in the inner circle, plus in the inner circle you can leave and use restroom, get drinks or food, and still make it back in, while if your on the outer rail and loose your position because you need to do one of the above, then you probably won't get it back and may end up 10, 20, or 30 yards back from where you were.

Just my opinion, but I have not seen the 360 show yet.

Thanks for the advice :D I think I'll plan for the inner circle now, but I'll see how Toronto goes too and then decide!

Oh, and for people who have seen the show, how was the sound a) inner circle b) near outer circle c) farther back in GA
cuz well honestly, thats the most important to me! THanks!

1:09am and I'm not even tired

Humming YBR since I saw them play it

Adding: I saw a guy with earplugs....surprised he wasn't wearing a dress too

-dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom