October 3 - Stadium Raleigh - NC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yay!! thank you for posting that :)

If they come to Raleigh I may end up selling my Charlottesville tickets once I have the Raleigh tickets, because I'd have to call in sick to see them in Charlottesville(we can't take vacation in October)

We're kind of in the same boat. Taking our 16 year old and 13 year old, but really don't want to take them out of school for this, not to mention incur additional time/cost of travelling.

Anyhow, we've just got to get them to get this announcement out and get the presale going - I have a feeling it's closer than "next few weeks".

I am hoping for the Raleigh show so badly, I live about 10 minutes from the stadium. If it comes I will be going to 3 u2 shows in less than a week. Charlottesville, Raleigh, Atlanta!

I'm also really hoping this show happens. I'm flying out to go to the Charlottesville show with my dad, and we're hoping to go to Raleigh too. My travel plans are on hold until they make an announcement about this show.

can't believe they would appear in such a small venue.

but I live in Greensboro, 50 min drive from Raliegh, so I'll be there.

?? Carter-Finley's capacity, I believe, is 60,000 not including lawn. That puts the venue right in line (more or less) with average venue sizes for this tour. It's certainly not the smallest stadium announced for the tour so far.

Just got an email from UNC-Chapel Hill's atheltic department...Came with same picture posted in this article On the Beat: David Menconi on music - More "unofficial" confirmation of U2's Raleigh date | newsobserver.com blogs. I just want this to be officially announced...

Here is email:

Musictoday is the official pre-registration site for the Raleigh U2 concert. It is a secure site and any information gathered will be used for presale purposes only.
Presale pre-registration ends on April 9th. Within a few days after the sign up period ends, emails will be sent explaining the pre-sale, including the date and time. No specific information about the pre-sale is available at this time.

Visit U2.com for the virtual concert experience and complete tour information.

For more event information visit livenation.com

Just got an email from UNC-Chapel Hill's atheltic department...Came with same picture posted in this article On the Beat: David Menconi on music - More "unofficial" confirmation of U2's Raleigh date | newsobserver.com blogs. I just want this to be officially announced...

Here is email:

Musictoday is the official pre-registration site for the Raleigh U2 concert. It is a secure site and any information gathered will be used for presale purposes only.
Presale pre-registration ends on April 9th. Within a few days after the sign up period ends, emails will be sent explaining the pre-sale, including the date and time. No specific information about the pre-sale is available at this time.

Odd. So, Wolfpack Club people are getting this e-mail, but so are people from UNC athletic dept? Very strange. Putting that aside, in general I wonder if, associated with the holdup, there's a change in date/venue (e.g. maybe Kenan?). Looking at Carolina's home game schedule, though, doesn't look like it fits.

Oh man, I am just hoping hoping HOPING for this show to be real. I'm about two hours away from Raleigh so it would be very convenient! I've been there several times to see U23D in the IMAX, and it'll be great to see the real thing there!!!

I'm saving my presale code for this show so it better happen! :lol: I'm probably gonna try and grab some Charlottesville tix from the general sale tomorrow too.

Do we know which stadium this is at exactly?

Interesting, presale ending 4/9, seems like it should be announced on u2.com pretty soon then and a presale for u2.com members around easter?

I think the note said "presale pre-registration" ends 4/9, and indicates that instructions would come out shortly after that. I have a feeling this presale (for Wolfpack Club and/or whomever else) will be concurrent with the U2.com one; if pre-registration for this mysterious additional presale ends 4/9, I'd expect the presale to be the week of 4/13 (maybe u2.com one on 4/14 - 16?). Though I'd like it if we could get in before the football fans (sorry!) next week like you're thinking.

This was forwarded to me today, I don't believe it's the same as what was posted earlier in the thread:

The U2 watch: Hang in there
Submitted by dmenconi on 03/30/2009 - 13:23 Tags: On the Beat: David Menconi on music | U2

Lots of people have been asking today if there's anything further toreport about that tentative Oct. 3 Raleigh date on the U2 tour -- mostly because Charlottesville goes on sale Friday, so they want to know if they should go ahead and get tickets for that. So when I asked someone over at tour promoter Live Nation whether or not we'd have any news this week, the response was thus: Announcement wont be this week -- but will be in the next few weeks. If the people asking are in the RDU area, I would suggest they hang tight. They ARE coming. So now you know as much as I do.

For further news, keep an eye on this space.

On the Beat: David Menconi on music - The U2 watch: Hang in there | newsobserver.com blogs

Here is email:

Just out of curiosity, are you a Ram's Club member or season ticket holder? I might have to hit up some of my Heel friends for a favor... :D

Just out of curiosity, are you a Ram's Club member or season ticket holder? I might have to hit up some of my Heel friends for a favor... :D

I am actually just a student. I've got a family friend who is a season ticket holder for football so I'm gonna ask him if he got the same email. In the email though I clicked on the picture and registered for something?? Put my name and email I guess that is for presale? I hope it is since I used my presale up on Virginia and Atlanta....

Oh man, I am just hoping hoping HOPING for this show to be real. I'm about two hours away from Raleigh so it would be very convenient! I've been there several times to see U23D in the IMAX, and it'll be great to see the real thing there!!!

I'm saving my presale code for this show so it better happen! :lol: I'm probably gonna try and grab some Charlottesville tix from the general sale tomorrow too.

Do we know which stadium this is at exactly?

Gotta be Carter-Finley bc there's no game that day/night.

I think the note said "presale pre-registration" ends 4/9, and indicates that instructions would come out shortly after that. I have a feeling this presale (for Wolfpack Club and/or whomever else) will be concurrent with the U2.com one; if pre-registration for this mysterious additional presale ends 4/9, I'd expect the presale to be the week of 4/13 (maybe u2.com one on 4/14 - 16?). Though I'd like it if we could get in before the football fans (sorry!) next week like you're thinking.

Hoping it's not 4/10-4/12 or something like that bc I'll be in VA and have to monkey with a laptop in a hotel if that's the case.

I'm thinking the earliest would be the week of 4/13 since the Live Nation replied to the beat writer in the news and observer as being a few weeks out.

NC State stadium, looks like we're coming to you. I'm going to buy nose bleed seats for this show and just watch it from afar.

Got 3 GA's for Dublin all nights so it will be nice to watch the action from afar

Hhhhmmm not so sure about U2 playing Raleigh. During PopMart they even cancelled a show there saying that the screen was damaged. I wonder if it really was that or the sales were simply horrible :( . You guys think they can sell out Raleigh this time around?

I am living in San Diego at the moment and I could jump for joy if they came here but at the same time I know San Diego ticket sales in a stadium were bad for Zoo TV and PopMart. Arena shows in San Diego are just fine but stadiums? Nope. So I wouldn't really cry if they didn't come to San Diego. I'll drive a few hours up to L.A., no problem. At least I will be in a sold out show (hopefully).

Hhhhmmm not so sure about U2 playing Raleigh. During PopMart they even cancelled a show there saying that the screen was damaged. I wonder if it really was that or the sales were simply horrible :( . You guys think they can sell out Raleigh this time around?

I am living in San Diego at the moment and I could jump for joy if they came here but at the same time I know San Diego ticket sales in a stadium were bad for Zoo TV and PopMart. Arena shows in San Diego are just fine but stadiums? Nope. So I wouldn't really cry if they didn't come to San Diego. I'll drive a few hours up to L.A., no problem. At least I will be in a sold out show (hopefully).

Sell out Raleigh? I don't know, and I don't know if it matters - they're coming. On the plus side, I think the marketing momentum is with them this time around. People didn't get Pop (though I think it's a much better album that ATYCLB and HTDAAB), and that damaged sales. On the minus side are the ticket prices in this economy. NY, LA, Chicago, etc. are so big that there are still 10s of 1000s of people willing to snap up the tickets in minutes, so the impact is more muted there. Raleigh is a fairly affluent area, but with only 1.5 million in the metro area, it will be harder to find 60,000+ people to cough up $30 - $250 a head.

The deal maker here is that it's a Saturday. There are very few weekend shows on this tour. Raleigh will pull from all over the Carolinas and Southern VA, including Greensboro, Charlotte, Greenville, and Norfolk/VA Beach/Williamsburg - all easy drives with populations in excess of a million each. Being one of the few Saturday shows, anyone who's not getting a show in their town or who got shut out or wants to catch multiple shows and is willing to travel will come to this show.

There's plenty of precedence for stadium shows doing very well here, primarily in the form of 3 Stones shows at or near sellout in the past 20 years (sounds weird saying that - 20 years since Steel Wheels!?). I think U2 will do well here this time around.

That site look pretty fake. Wufoo is a site to make internet forms--I doubt an official partner with U2 or Live Nation wouldn't be able to do this on their own.

https://musictoday2008.wufoo.com/

Where did you get that link?

NJ, apparently you have insight into the intricacies of U2 and Live Nation that I don't. As a network security admin, I am aware of what wufoo is. I'll presume your attempt is to help others.

If you have a U2.com membership, NJ, you can see where I found the information:

http://community.u2.com/reply/115084/t/-will-they-play-here-not-again-Merged-.html#reply-115084

Do I posit that I know the origins of the link? No. I don't suggest that I know the inner workings of U2 or Live Nation.

I found the link on U2.com forums and was simply trying to be helpful. Don't use it if you don't want. The last intent I had was to mislead.

Have a nice day.

NJ, apparently you have insight into the intricacies of U2 and Live Nation that I don't. As a network security admin, I am aware of what wufoo is. I'll presume your attempt is to help others.

If you have a U2.com membership, NJ, you can see where I found the information:

http://community.u2.com/reply/115084/t/-will-they-play-here-not-again-Merged-.html#reply-115084

Do I posit that I know the origins of the link? No. I don't suggest that I know the inner workings of U2 or Live Nation.

I found the link on U2.com forums and was simply trying to be helpful. Don't use it if you don't want. The last intent I had was to mislead.

Have a nice day.

I fail to see how you construed my post to be an attack on you or an allegation that you were trying to "mislead." Nor do I see how I suggested that I know the "inner workings" of U2 or Live Nation. I applaud you for including the link and trying to help everyone out.

I was simply noting that it seems suspicious that this link was to wufoo and not to u2.com, ticketmaster.com, livenation.com etc. I suppose I could be wrong but common sense says that this is a fake link. Why would they need to use wufu to make a simple online form? Perhaps I'm wrong, but I would trust this as much as I would trust someone with an @hotmail.com email address claiming to be a representative from ticketmaster or livenation.

fair enough. in the larger scheme of things, my guess is we're both here for the same reasons... sharing our appreciation for U2's music and shows with similar minded folks. all that i know about the raleigh stuff i've written above. that's it.
on a lighter note, i was at the philly show when bono mentioned your sign. i got a handshake from him that night (against the rail). that was an amazing show.
i keep looking for that handshake in the photos of "you in other's photos" thread. nada. nothing. i've looked a number of other places too. i simply don't think anyone snapped it.
anyway... water under the bridge, amigo. both of us trying to add to the community the best ways we know how.

Last edited:
Water under the bridge for sure!

Haha yeah I saw that story in your profile, that's totally awesome. How did you get him to shake your hand? I have tried to find pictures of me from that show in the same thread with the same luck - nada.

Do you happen to have an mp3 of "People Get Ready"? The youtube clip cuts out the first part of Bono mentioning my sign.

Also, I see you are going to the C-Ville and DC shows, did you get GAs for those? I am hoping it will be as easy to get GAs for the Raleigh show as it was for the C-Ville show. I got my GAs for DC and C-Ville from the pre-sale but apparently it was really easy during the general sale for Charlottesville.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom