October 18 - Norman, OK - Gatherings and Road Trips - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 360° Tour Central - 2009 / 2010 / 2011 Archive > Tour Dates & Fan Gatherings
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2009, 04:39 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:28 AM
October 18 - Norman, OK - Gatherings and Road Trips

Un=fucking=believeable. How long has it been? To quote Paul McGuinness back in 2001, "we played OKC, in the ______ club back in 1980" that was his response when i asked him "why dont you guys ever play in Oklahoma?"

I even speculated last week that they ought to play football stadiums at universitys like OU, well...and i know its a st r e t ch....and here we are!!!

I wonder how this is going to playout with the football schedule at Owen Stadium?

Well here we go....my back yard...this ought to help getting sales and airplay here locally. YEE HAW!

Old 03-09-2009, 04:43 PM   #2
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 12:28 AM
Happy for you!

btw sorry gotta keep all the show date titles in the same format, easier to read/find.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:47 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

no prob
dont you know i almost fell out of my chair this morning when i saw Norman listed?
you should come to Norman for the show!
Old 03-09-2009, 04:49 PM   #4
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Haha yeah.... no.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:41 PM   #5
The Fly

Local Time: 01:28 AM
Is this Oklahoma date a Monday?? Is that correct? I thought they were playing "weekends only" on this tour.

We probably won't get a date in Kansas City for a while, so I may be headed to Oklahoma.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:17 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

c'mon down Chief
the date is not set in stone yet, i dont think. We shall see..
Old 03-10-2009, 01:48 AM   #7
The Fly

Local Time: 07:28 AM
I live right up the road near Moore West HS...I'm freaking out too.
I asked Bono in '05 in Houston about playing OK too!
Football schedule? Who cares? Sports suck! Music rules...

I just hope the usual Oklahoma thing doesn't happen at the show....You know the whole "A famous band is in town, lets go use it as an excuse to get drunk and act like redneck idiots."
Are you guys planning on getting on the field? I am, no seats for me, I'm gonna go to the Dallas/Houston/Vegas shows too...
Old 03-10-2009, 04:12 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemontreeexit View Post
I live right up the road near Moore West HS...I'm freaking out too.
I asked Bono in '05 in Houston about playing OK too!
Football schedule? Who cares? Sports suck! Music rules...

I just hope the usual Oklahoma thing doesn't happen at the show....You know the whole "A famous band is in town, lets go use it as an excuse to get drunk and act like redneck idiots."
Are you guys planning on getting on the field? I am, no seats for me, I'm gonna go to the Dallas/Houston/Vegas shows too...
Well the date they had listed was monday the 19th, which is fine considering that saturday the 17th is the date of OU/tx. We really dont want them coming to town on that day because 50,000 people will be down in Dallas for the red river rivalry. Thats not good planning imo.

As for the usual "Oklahoma thing", lol, well hopefully all the white trash will leave the monster trucks back at the trailer park house and the weather will probably be too cold for the Billy Bobs to wear wife beaters, not that they wont drink a 12pk of Nat Light and go home and beat their wives anyway [/sarcasm]

Anyway it should be fun, we really aren't as bad as our reputation, sometimes. Im guessing some of the decision to play here stems from the fact that they haven't played here in 25 years, and also maybe due to economic concerns our unemployment rate is the lowest in the country (or very near the lowest). Good times....cant wait
Old 03-10-2009, 09:42 PM   #9
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Garrison View Post
Well the date they had listed was monday the 19th, which is fine considering that saturday the 17th is the date of OU/tx. We really dont want them coming to town on that day because 50,000 people will be down in Dallas for the red river rivalry. Thats not good planning imo.

As for the usual "Oklahoma thing", lol, well hopefully all the white trash will leave the monster trucks back at the trailer park house and the weather will probably be too cold for the Billy Bobs to wear wife beaters, not that they wont drink a 12pk of Nat Light and go home and beat their wives anyway [/sarcasm]

Anyway it should be fun, we really aren't as bad as our reputation, sometimes. Im guessing some of the decision to play here stems from the fact that they haven't played here in 25 years, and also maybe due to economic concerns our unemployment rate is the lowest in the country (or very near the lowest). Good times....cant wait
I actually think it would be pretty good planning to play Norman that weekend -- you have Oklahomans in Dallas for the game and OU is at Kansas the following weekend. Makes total sense from a logistics perspective. On the other hand, locals that are into football would have to choose -- OU vs. Texas or U2 -- OU Texas is on TV -- no choice IMO.

The 19th is a Monday, but drop in 10/17 @ Norman instead of 10/19 and you have better travel logistics -- whatever that cocoon looking 360 thing gets called -- moving to Phoenix on the 19th versus the 17th would be more challening. I hope this happens in Norman, those of us in KC or Omaha have one crack for a reasonalbe road trip -- and Norman is it!

14 October 2009 Reliant Stadium Houston TX US Mon. 20 April
19 October 2009 Oklahoma Memorial Stadium Norman OK US Sat. 4 April
20 October 2009 Univ. of Phoenix Stadium Phoenix AZ US Mon. 20 April
Old 03-10-2009, 10:22 PM   #10
New Yorker

Norman will get a short-ass show cause of the fact they play Phoenix the next day. Probably a 19-20 song set

SMB
Old 03-11-2009, 05:29 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

The OU-tx game is a HUGE rivalry. I don't think U2 coming to town is going to keep people from heading down to Dallas...most students will go to the game and skip the concert. This will hurt ticket sales i think, Norman is typically a ghost town friday before the game until sunday afterwards.

Shawn, the plane ride from OKC to Phoenix shouldn't be that long maybe a couple of hours? I don't see Norman getting a short show when all the band has to do is hop on a plane, its not like they cant sleep in the next day before sound check. The stage in Phoenix would probably be going up before the band even makes it to Norman since they probably have more than one stage.

That said, we dont know if these dates are even accurate so i guess we shall wait and see.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:32 PM   #12
War Child

Wait and see indeed, but this will be a regional show -- with Dallas so close, any ticket sales lost to OU-Texas will be picked up by Dallas folks that don't like football and head to Norman for the show -- were likely coming that way and we are from Omaha; Kansas City will bring in people too.

OU Students will be a small part of this crowd.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:49 PM   #13
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Keep in mind that this date is not official....
Old 03-12-2009, 08:42 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Bonneau View Post
Norman will get a short-ass show cause of the fact they play Phoenix the next day. Probably a 19-20 song set
Shut up.

Wait til they start adding shows in other cities that are back-to-back nights.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:47 AM   #15
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:28 AM
Agreed. That comment is abnxious. When do they ever play a shorter set because they have a show in another city the next night

Tags
norman, oklahoma