October 18 - Norman, OK - Gatherings and Road Trips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs. Garrison

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Un=fucking=believeable. How long has it been? To quote Paul McGuinness back in 2001, "we played OKC, in the ______ club back in 1980" that was his response when i asked him "why dont you guys ever play in Oklahoma?"

I even speculated last week that they ought to play football stadiums at universitys like OU, well...and i know its a st r e t ch....and here we are!!!

I wonder how this is going to playout with the football schedule at Owen Stadium?

Well here we go....my back yard...this ought to help getting sales and airplay here locally. YEE HAW!

:up:

Happy for you!

btw sorry gotta keep all the show date titles in the same format, easier to read/find.

Is this Oklahoma date a Monday?? Is that correct? I thought they were playing "weekends only" on this tour.

We probably won't get a date in Kansas City for a while, so I may be headed to Oklahoma.

I live right up the road near Moore West HS...I'm freaking out too.
I asked Bono in '05 in Houston about playing OK too!
Football schedule? Who cares? Sports suck! Music rules...

I just hope the usual Oklahoma thing doesn't happen at the show....You know the whole "A famous band is in town, lets go use it as an excuse to get drunk and act like redneck idiots."
Are you guys planning on getting on the field? I am, no seats for me, I'm gonna go to the Dallas/Houston/Vegas shows too...

I live right up the road near Moore West HS...I'm freaking out too.
I asked Bono in '05 in Houston about playing OK too!
Football schedule? Who cares? Sports suck! Music rules...

I just hope the usual Oklahoma thing doesn't happen at the show....You know the whole "A famous band is in town, lets go use it as an excuse to get drunk and act like redneck idiots."
Are you guys planning on getting on the field? I am, no seats for me, I'm gonna go to the Dallas/Houston/Vegas shows too...

Well the date they had listed was monday the 19th, which is fine considering that saturday the 17th is the date of OU/tx. We really dont want them coming to town on that day because 50,000 people will be down in Dallas for the red river rivalry. Thats not good planning imo.

As for the usual "Oklahoma thing", lol, well hopefully all the white trash will leave the monster trucks back at the trailer park house and the weather will probably be too cold for the Billy Bobs to wear wife beaters, not that they wont drink a 12pk of Nat Light and go home and beat their wives anyway [/sarcasm]

Anyway it should be fun, we really aren't as bad as our reputation, sometimes. Im guessing some of the decision to play here stems from the fact that they haven't played here in 25 years, and also maybe due to economic concerns our unemployment rate is the lowest in the country (or very near the lowest). Good times....cant wait :up:

Well the date they had listed was monday the 19th, which is fine considering that saturday the 17th is the date of OU/tx. We really dont want them coming to town on that day because 50,000 people will be down in Dallas for the red river rivalry. Thats not good planning imo.

As for the usual "Oklahoma thing", lol, well hopefully all the white trash will leave the monster trucks back at the trailer park house and the weather will probably be too cold for the Billy Bobs to wear wife beaters, not that they wont drink a 12pk of Nat Light and go home and beat their wives anyway [/sarcasm]

Anyway it should be fun, we really aren't as bad as our reputation, sometimes. Im guessing some of the decision to play here stems from the fact that they haven't played here in 25 years, and also maybe due to economic concerns our unemployment rate is the lowest in the country (or very near the lowest). Good times....cant wait :up:

I actually think it would be pretty good planning to play Norman that weekend -- you have Oklahomans in Dallas for the game and OU is at Kansas the following weekend. Makes total sense from a logistics perspective. On the other hand, locals that are into football would have to choose -- OU vs. Texas or U2 -- OU Texas is on TV -- no choice IMO.

The 19th is a Monday, but drop in 10/17 @ Norman instead of 10/19 and you have better travel logistics -- whatever that cocoon looking 360 thing gets called -- moving to Phoenix on the 19th versus the 17th would be more challening. I hope this happens in Norman, those of us in KC or Omaha have one crack for a reasonalbe road trip -- and Norman is it!

14 October 2009 Reliant Stadium Houston TX US Mon. 20 April
19 October 2009 Oklahoma Memorial Stadium Norman OK US Sat. 4 April
20 October 2009 Univ. of Phoenix Stadium Phoenix AZ US Mon. 20 April

The OU-tx game is a HUGE rivalry. I don't think U2 coming to town is going to keep people from heading down to Dallas...most students will go to the game and skip the concert. This will hurt ticket sales i think, Norman is typically a ghost town friday before the game until sunday afterwards.

Shawn, the plane ride from OKC to Phoenix shouldn't be that long maybe a couple of hours? I don't see Norman getting a short show when all the band has to do is hop on a plane, its not like they cant sleep in the next day before sound check. The stage in Phoenix would probably be going up before the band even makes it to Norman since they probably have more than one stage.

That said, we dont know if these dates are even accurate so i guess we shall wait and see.

Wait and see indeed, but this will be a regional show -- with Dallas so close, any ticket sales lost to OU-Texas will be picked up by Dallas folks that don't like football and head to Norman for the show -- were likely coming that way and we are from Omaha; Kansas City will bring in people too.

OU Students will be a small part of this crowd.

Agreed. That comment is abnxious. When do they ever play a shorter set because they have a show in another city the next night

Wait and see indeed, but this will be a regional show -- with Dallas so close, any ticket sales lost to OU-Texas will be picked up by Dallas folks that don't like football and head to Norman for the show -- were likely coming that way and we are from Omaha; Kansas City will bring in people too.

OU Students will be a small part of this crowd.

Interesting take on this you have, see, ive always had to travel to see them so it's going to be weird for me with them playing in my own backyard while others have to travel here for the show.

They had Dallas listed as one of the other shows but im wondering if Norman doesnt take the Dallas date and then Dallas maybe gets a show on the 3rd leg perhaps? Well im speculating, anyway we shall see :)

Hmm -- no hugs in allowed in threads that ALSO include mentions of OU versus Texas in football.

That would officially be against the rules.

Hmm -- no hugs in allowed in threads that ALSO include mentions of OU versus Texas in football.

That would officially be against the rules.

well given this concert is tenatively scheduled two days after we will kick the living shit out of Texass, i will go on record now saying that any shorthorn fans in attendance who need a hug i would be happy to console thee. :hug:

They played Norman on the WAR tour in an infamously under-attended show. Including me, who for whatever reason didn't make the trek over from Weatherford where I was going to college.
So unfinished business for me and I'll be there this year.

They played Norman on the WAR tour in an infamously under-attended show. Including me, who for whatever reason didn't make the trek over from Weatherford where I was going to college.
So unfinished business for me and I'll be there this year.

Awesome! I was only 11 back then, so thats my excuse for not going. I didn't even know they existed until a couple of years later.

Not sure why attendance would have been so bad but hopefully that changes this time around. The Rolling Stones put 50k or so in the stadium 10 years ago, which wasn't capacity but with their stage setup taking up an entire end zone thats not too bad.

I don't see the sale for the Oklahoma show on Ticketmaster yet. Am I crazy or is it not up yet??

No dates official yet as i see it -- there is a big gap on the official list:

09 October 2009 Raymond James Center Tampa FL

BIG GAP (-:

25 October 2009 Rose Bowl

So you have roughly 15 days where no shows are scheduled yet and whole bunch of trucks will be moving from Florida to California --now I"m no rocket scientist, but I do play a Tour Manager Trying to Make Money on TV; and I'd say that somewhere in this midst shows will be added in the middle of the country / south -- cities could include Dallas, Houston, SanAntonio, Norman, Phoenix, Kansas City, and Denver -- my gut tells me at least 4 of the aforementioned cities will nab a show, maybe 5 -- one, maybe 2 could get a second show -- so, perhaps 8 shows in that fifteen day window -- could be aggressive on my part, but then again, if they come back around they will be facing the same issue: which cities to hit and when.

On the U2.com messageboard, someone posted a ticketmaster seating chart for Norman. Looks like the stage is gonna be dead center facting a major section, instead of end stage. GA looks pretty sweet here as every GA is pretty damn close.

SMB

I'm really anxious. Do you all think this Oklahoma show is for real? I missed Chicago tickets so I get the show closest to home! Why nothing on TicketMaster or U2.com yet? They are selling for shows after the Oct. 19th date.

I've never been to a U2 show, and Norman is about as close as they've ever been to me since I've been a fan. I've never bought tickets online, so I already feel lost. And now there's talk that it might not even happen! :sad:

U2's Norman date in question, Stoops says he's 'all for it' | U2 news article from @U2

If I can't get to this show, then I hope so much that they come to Kansas City. I wanna go so bad it almost makes me sick!

I have my Chicago ticket, but I am really hoping Oklahoma works out (or KC where I live), but I have a feeling KC or St. Louis might be summer 2010 at the earliest. Get this Oklahoma show going!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom