October 18 - Norman, OK - Gatherings and Road Trips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
will parking be restricted on campus even though it's a sunday? i'm thinking about driving back to Dallas after the show rather than spending the night, but I hope the traffic's not bad. If the show is only half full, then it shouldn't be.

well at least you didn't say "...show is half empty.." which means you are a glass half full kind of person. Good for you, progress :up:

well at least you didn't say "...show is half empty.." which means you are a glass half full kind of person. Good for you, progress :up:

I felt better once GAs sold out. While it'd be great to be able to show up at 6 and walk straight up to the ellipse (or whatever they're going to call it), the show would have sucked.

sooner suites is on campus (dedicated parking and walking distance <0.5 miles) and great for games/concerts (esp. after-parties in campus corner) but, it is now sold out... they are wait listing their extended stay rooms and will release those later...

i've tried it before and the others are too far to be a reasonable walking distance ( 2-3 miles) residence inn, hampton inn and fairfield are decent bets... on game days some will run shuttles, so it might be worth it to ask...

in my experience getting in is not that big of a deal. go early, park in some sorority (or fraternity if you are so inclined) pay parking lot... meet some freindly youngin's, have some cold beverages, and then roll on in...

leaving can be an absolute nightmare... weve been locked up in traffic, when we parked adjacent to the stadium, and spent 1.5 hours just getting off campus and onto i-35... and yes, we know some of the backways but the po-po had them blocked...

my vote is always to just stay, go out afterwards and blaze out in the AM....

good luck...

thats sounds like a you took a page from my book.

People just need to be careful, there are 3 or 4 kinds of law dogs to deal with, Campus police, Norman PD, Cleveland County sheriff, and then Okla Highway Patrol once you get on I35. Mind you these fine law dogs are good upstanding folks, but you sure dont want to cross them!

I felt better once GAs sold out. While it'd be great to be able to show up at 6 and walk straight up to the ellipse (or whatever they're going to call it), the show would have sucked.

Well the thing you have to consider is most everyone in the Sooner presale and the Ford center presale bought regular seats because the GA's weren't available to them. The entire presale was messed up with Boots people buying tickets at the very beginning, etc. I think we will sell a bunch of tickets but i wouldnt judge the whole thing by one days sales. I heard on the radio today some DJ said "they were going very fast" but i would really like to know exact numbers of how many were sold thus far.

thats sounds like a you took a page from my book.

People just need to be careful, there are 3 or 4 kinds of law dogs to deal with, Campus police, Norman PD, Cleveland County sheriff, and then Okla Highway Patrol once you get on I35. Mind you these fine law dogs are good upstanding folks, but you sure dont want to cross them!

What's the speed limit on I35 between Norman and Dallas and more importantly how much over can over before getting noticed?

do you know if they enforce parking for non football events even on a sunday?

What's the speed limit on I35 between Norman and Dallas and more importantly how much over can over before getting noticed?

do you know if they enforce parking for non football events even on a sunday?

if there is no construction between Dallas and Norman you will have plenty of 70 mph limits. Thing is there is usually some type of construction around Turner Falls area and it could be down to one lane. I usually just go with the flow, if everyone is doing 9 mph over then thats me too. If everyone is hovering around the speed limit then they know something i dont. Your probably safe at 5 mph over as long as you arent tailgating anyone or weaving in and out of traffic, acting dangerous or otherwise calling attention to yourself. Drive what you feel comfortable with given all factors like visibility, road conditions, weather, etc. And be safe :)

They probably enforce parking all the time, i mean there should be plenty of places to park i would assume. It will probably be like game day and you can get good parking for $10 or you can walk a half mile and park for free. Its too early to tell.

Im sure i will be wondering where to park when i get to Jerry World too.

On this weekend speed is insignificant. Just be careful with Oklahoma plates in Texas and vice-versa.

your absolutely correct, i keep forgetting what weekend this take place. :doh:

you might want to head down here early to avoid the rush, and please do be safe

BOOMER SOONER!

Does Oklahoma still have the interestng liquor laws -- aren't the liquor stores state owned or something goofy? Will they even sell liquor on a Sunday in Oklahoma?

BTW -- what are the odds Bono or a band member has a jersey from the winning team from Saturday's rivalry game?

IMO the B-man in Burnt Orange in the middle of OU's stadium would qualify as PriceLess.

Does Oklahoma still have the interestng liquor laws -- aren't the liquor stores state owned or something goofy? Will they even sell liquor on a Sunday in Oklahoma?

BTW -- what are the odds Bono or a band member has a jersey from the winning team from Saturday's rivalry game?

IMO the B-man in Burnt Orange in the middle of OU's stadium would qualify as PriceLess.

No state owned liquor stores in Oklahoma, but they are closed on Sundays. Bars can serve liquor on Sunday.

As far as jerseys go. It'd better be an OU jersey when they are in Norman. Bono does not want to be caught wearing a Texas jersey in Norman.

And we know that OU will stomp all over Texas so If anything it would be a Crimson and Cream jersey

Last edited:
No state owned liquor stores in Oklahoma, but they are closed on Sundays. Bars can serve liquor on Sunday.

As far as jerseys go. It'd better be an OU jersey when they are in Norman. Bono does not want to be caught wearing a Texas jersey in Norman.

And we know that OU will stomp all over Texas so If anything it would be a Crimson and Cream jersey

TEXASS
SUCKS!

*and ive got to say, burnt orange is truly one of the ugliest colors known to man. It's right there with puke green and piss yellow, which could sort of explain that lovely smell coming from the texass side of the cotton bowl.

I swear to high holy, they're better not be any fights in GA between OU and UT fans. Especially with it being the day after the game. I hope there's nothing controversial in the game.

I swear to high holy, they're better not be any fights in GA between OU and UT fans. Especially with it being the day after the game. I hope there's nothing controversial in the game.

the only way theres not going to be anything controversial is if we bust out a 63-14 like 2000 or a 65-13 like 2003.

:sexywink:

I'd like to think that U2 fans can get together for an awesome show without trouble. Texas fans might show some restraint while in OU's home court. If the show were in Austin I don't think I'd be wearing OU gear at the show. Just because it's a rivalry doesn't mean we can't co-exist. In the immortal words of Rodney King "Can't we all just get along?" :hug:

I'd like to think that U2 fans can get together for an awesome show without trouble. Texas fans might show some restraint while in OU's home court. If the show were in Austin I don't think I'd be wearing OU gear at the show. Just because it's a rivalry doesn't mean we can't co-exist. In the immortal words of Rodney King "Can't we all just get along?" :hug:

'Cause tonight...we can be as one
Tonight
Tonight (Sunday, Bloody Sunday)
Tonight
Tonight (Sunday, Bloody Sunday)
Tonight

It's taken almost two feckin weeks but I finally managed to get an order through for two $30 tix for the Norman concert! I managed to place an order using a UK credit card and giving my UK address but accepting the US as the country.

I had a extremely frustrating to-and-fro exchange of emails with Ticketmaster's customer service team who just did not seem to be able to grasp that there was no option for International Will Call on the ticket purchase page despite my attempts to spell it out slowly and clearly for them.

But, see youse all there!

very good question...anyone?

i did see a u2360 billboard ad today along I-40.....how fucking cool is that? I guess id sort of forgot they are really playing here. Gonna be a great time.

That's cool! A U2 360 billboard, eh?

I was checking for tickets a few days ago and they were still plenty at the first 30 rows around the stadium. I hope ticket sales pick up soon.

Thanks Sicy -- a few of us from the Omaha, Lincoln area are considering the equivalent of a dine and dash for this show; primarily to keep our non-U2 spouses from goin' crazy on us that night (-:

So, if you are in the Omaha, Lincoln general area, and willing to consider the following schedule for a ride-share-sleep-share road trip, please PM or email me at bcwgobuffs@gmail.com

Depart Sunday AM; show Sunday night after 7 hour drive, arrive Omaha / Lincoln around 8 AM Monda morning -- kiss spouse, go to work.

Thanks.

Thanks Sicy -- a few of us from the Omaha, Lincoln area are considering the equivalent of a dine and dash for this show; primarily to keep our non-U2 spouses from goin' crazy on us that night (-:

So, if you are in the Omaha, Lincoln general area, and willing to consider the following schedule for a ride-share-sleep-share road trip, please PM or email me at bcwgobuffs@gmail.com

Depart Sunday AM; show Sunday night after 7 hour drive, arrive Omaha / Lincoln around 8 AM Monda morning -- kiss spouse, go to work.

Thanks.

THAT sounds like a good trip actually. I wish I lived closer to Omaha.

Thanks.

I hope you load up on red bull. That's just insane.

i think im with you on this one.....ahhh youth :hug:

I'm doing this in part for a friend, alas, do tell BuffBoy.

Her husband has seen U2, twice. She's a huge fan; U2 make it to Omaha in 2005, and she bails cuz she's like 7 months pregnant. With his kids; AND she has never seen U2. Ever. And she is an EdgeAHolic.

Her husband is actually kinda of borderline prickish on this topic -- he knows how bad she wants to go, but will not step up and make the road trip for her and with her. I told her all we need is two more Interferencers and we are golden. 15 or so hours of drive time divided 4 ways is like sleep 8, drive 4, navigate 4 -- I'm 45, it soiunds like fun to me.

Come on gang - step up. All we need is 2 more!

I was just reading through the last couple of pages, and there had better not be any drunkenness and/or fighting in the GA, or I'm gonna be royally upset. I'm bringing one non-fan and one casual fan with me, and you all had better get along and make a good impression on them. :madwife:

Also, would it be a bad idea to drive home after the show if I live three hours away?

I was just reading through the last couple of pages, and there had better not be any drunkenness and/or fighting in the GA, or I'm gonna be royally upset. I'm bringing one non-fan and one casual fan with me, and you all had better get along and make a good impression on them. :madwife:

Also, would it be a bad idea to drive home after the show if I live three hours away?

I'll be drunk, but I'll be in the Red Zone so I won't be bothering you in GA! :lol:

I've driven home from Dallas after concerts which is a 3-3.5 hours so it can be done.

We will be flying in from Albuquerque to OK city - any locals know if public transportation is good to get us to the Norman stadium or should we rent a car...or any one else flying into OK city and we can carpool? Thoughts, ideas? We will flying out of OK city on Monday to Phoenix for the next concert.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom