June 7, 2011 - McAfee Coliseum - Oakland, CA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought you should all know that people are lining up NOW.

My friend is 4th in line. Happy for her I guess. It seems the four of them have a tent and are taking shifts until more people come and then they'll move into Plan B.

:angry:

well Im rolling into Oakland tmw night .... Ill have to check things out and see how the line is. Then I will have to evaluate my devotion to U2 and see if it worth camping out for a night (even though I paid for a hotel room Mon night,....). Oh well - no matter what its always amazing to be at a U2 show no matter where Im standing :)

Thought you should all know that people are lining up NOW.

My friend is 4th in line. Happy for her I guess. It seems the four of them have a tent and are taking shifts until more people come and then they'll move into Plan B.

:angry:

Wow-really!? Where are they-off the property I imagine? not the best area to be camping at night! :ohmy:

Yep. That's dedication for ya!
Two days is beyond dedication. I'd call it insanity. I don't think I'd line up for two days even if they let me sit on the damn stage.

(Okay, yes I would. But nothing short of that.)

i'm going to be honest here and admit I thought there were these insane/'dedicated' people lining up two days early at most shows!! i'm surprised (and relieved) that this isn't actually the case...

I guess I'm just one of those weird fans that are just happy to be at the show. I don't care much where I am. Plus I have a nice camera with a 10x zoom :D

Oh well - no matter what its always amazing to be at a U2 show no matter where Im standing :)

:up:

I guess I'm just one of those weird fans that are just happy to be at the show. I don't care much where I am.

:hi5:

Of course it's up to everyone for themselves what they decide to do with their time.

But to me it seems a bit out of proportion to line up on Sunday, when you can show up at 5 PM the day of the show and still get a great spot.
Not first row of course and probably not rail either.

I doubt I'll be able to get to the Coliseum before 8 PM on Tuesday.
So I'll be :dance: at the back!

Bringing this over from another thread!
Thanks Bonocomet!
u2 is in the Bay Area!
:hyper:

Posted by Roger McNamee/Moonalice

bonoedgerogermcnameemoonalice.jpg

U2 Oakland GA Line Information

After almost a year of waiting, our lads finally arrive in the Bay Area!

:applaud::drool::hug:

The GA line started on Sunday at 12 noon, fifty-five hours before showtime. As of 5am Monday, there are 23 people who showed up and are on the list.

DIRECTIONS

We are currently camped on the elevated walkway between the Oakland Coliseum BART station and the stadium (east side of the stadium). There are a couple of tents and chairs marking our location:

Google Maps

Security moved us back from the Coliseum gates a couple of times on Sunday, but allowed us to stay halfway down the walkway overnight last night. BART Police left us alone (thank goodness :wink:).

We want to keep a low profile and not have dozens of fans lined up on the walkway for the next 24 hours, so once fans sign the list, they are free to leave. Because of problems experienced during the Vertigo Tour, we will not allow family and friends to be signed in by others. Fans must show up in person to sign in themselves. If you want to line up in consecutive order with friends/family, please arrange to arrive there as a group to sign in. I think we are trying to be fair while not requiring everyone to line up overnight.

Fans must return by 6am tomorrow Tuesday for the final line check, at which point we will write the numbers on everyone's hands. Fans who miss the deadline will have their names taken off the list and will not receive a number. If you think you're going to be late, please give yourself an extra 30 minutes to get there. No more numbers will be given out to fans who arrive in line after 6am.

Because the Coliseum is using two gates for the GA entrance, there is a chance that we will have to make two lines (for Gates A and B). We will try to nail down this information today and pass it on here. If we do make two lines, then it will simply be a matter of asking each fan or group which line they want to stand it, and marking their hands accordingly (A-1, A-2 or B-1, B-2, etc.).

At 7am, Coliseum security will (supposedly) move the line(s) inside the stadium parking lot and leave us there until the gates open at 5pm. No word yet about whether we can bring chairs, coolers, etc. We can discuss an in/out policy tomorrow morning. Please plan to be in line all day, however. If you have to go to work/school on Tuesday, please do not expect to maintain your position in the line. This is only fair to those who took the day off to line up.

We are concerned that if there are two GA gates, one gate might not open at the same time as the other, costing fans valuable time and lessening their chances of getting their desired spots inside. So, we will try to convince stadium security that we would prefer the first couple hundred fans on the list to walk in one gate only in a single file to maintain line integrity and to keep things in order. We'll see if they hear us!

PARKING

The Coliseum parking lot will supposedly open at 7am on Tuesday. Parking is $40 :|

In the meantime, for those lining up at 6am, there is free parking at the BART station. The BART parking lot is off of Snell St, parallel with San Leandro Ave (see Google map above). I'm not sure how strict BART Police will be regarding all day parking there, so please plan to move your vehicle once the line is moved into the stadium grounds.

The line leaders are working in eight hour shifts and will maintain the line throughout the day and night. Your kindness and cooperation are greatly appreciated! :love: Any suggestions as to how to deal with stadium security are also welcome. We hope to make this a group effort and minimize any stress and strain.

I will post more information here as it becomes available. Please pass this on to get the word out.

Thanks and have a great show!
Woohoo! :hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:

Nick

Thanks Miri! Wish you could join us

After 6am, fans will line up like normal, they just won't have numbers on their hands.

I think after the first 200-300 fans go in, it doesn't really matter whether you are 325 or 425. All the rail spots will be taken by then and most of the prime real estate in front of Bono will be gone, so it's more of a crapshoot.

After 6am, fans will line up like normal, they just won't have numbers on their hands.

I think after the first 200-300 fans go in, it doesn't really matter whether you are 325 or 425. All the rail spots will be taken by then and most of the prime real estate in front of Bono will be gone, so it's more of a crapshoot.

Thank you for all the info Nick. I will probably be seeing someone to sign in tonight around 8-9- when I get to Oakland. I have a room booked at the Days Inn nearby, so it is good news that we can check in and then come back tmw am. One question - I think this one has been bounced around quite a bit in discussion here. If there is a main line at the BART overcrossing - what about ppl who may camp at the parking enterence because they are not aware of the BART line? Will you have ppl checking that out periodically? I am not TOOO concerned about it but it would be a bummer for all sides if there isn't a clear plan for everyone.

I don't know. No more numbers after 6 AM seems a bit early to me (depending on how many people are in line around that time). But you have more experience with it than me. The only reference I have, is Amsterdam. Where there were 2 lines as well and each line had a seperate numbering system. But with 400 people in one line and 400 people in the other, so 800 in total, it is possible to still get back rail inner circle a bit to the side (say between 5 to 10 past the half hour). Of course, that was 2 years ago. Could be different now.

We are concerned that if there are two GA gates, one gate might not open at the same time as the other, costing fans valuable time and lessening their chances of getting their desired spots inside. So, we will try to convince stadium security that we would prefer the first couple hundred fans on the list to walk in one gate only in a single file to maintain line integrity and to keep things in order. We'll see if they hear us!

Hope you're able to work this out with stadium security.

just a heads up, having seen the setup today, the infield area is off limits to fans creating a situation where the tip of the outer ramp only has a small amount of space between it and the sounddesk that is actually accessible by fans, but there is tons of room off to the sides and the back. Those $275 seats are about 75 yards from the stage no matter what angle you attack it from, the beauty of a "coliseum"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom