June 7, 2011 - McAfee Coliseum - Oakland, CA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
who says we have to meet at a pub? We'll do it where everyone can go. Right, guys? There's a bunch of nice but not too expensive places in San Fran, Oakland, and in between.

I vote Oakland or in between :up: San Fran's a bit of a drive from where I live...

Isn't Oakland a sketchy area?:uhoh:

I'm up for any place- as long as I'll be able to walk to a nearby train station and take the BART/Muni back to Union Square.:)

Oakland is a city. it has sketchy areas. Just like San Francisco.

I actually like the Piedmont area of Oakland quite a bit :)

Yep, sketchy areas. Some of it's OK.

Piedmont's only OK because it's populated by rich people >.< their kids are freaking annoying...

Good point. People who have GA will most likely have to take some time off to get a good spot on the field.

While I agree with Sicy's annoyance that a lot of people will need to get off work early to get to the show, it's kind of a blessing in disguise.

1) Being held on a weekday, it's even more likely that the afternoon GA line will be extremely short due to not everyone taking off work.

2) The Bay Area is one of the least U2 friendly urban areas in the country. Demographics play into that, but especially the hipster culture that runs amok around these parts. Again, another good thing because there's less hardcore fans in the area.

3) This show clearly wasn't an instant sell-out as there's been posters advertising it in newspapers and the underground train system. Again, less demand = less people waiting in line at 10AM.

4) The area is too damn shitty. Not only are people worried about crime around there (mostly unfounded for broad daylight and the stadium is out of the way a bit), but there aren't really any restaurants or stores nearby to hang out at. This will discourage camping out. Also, a lot of people won't want to take their car to the stadium and get there faster because they're charging 40 Bucks for parking.

A lot of posters have indicated that you can often get a nice front row spot on the sides of the inner circle by showing up as late as 6 PM! So, I think we should count our blessings that we aren't Dublin or New York or whatever. Leave work a little early, get there by 4 or 5 PM and we should all be good.

I hope I can get there late-ish and still be fine...I have other stuff on that day, which sucks balls. School, for one...

4) The area is too damn shitty. Not only are people worried about crime around there (mostly unfounded for broad daylight and the stadium is out of the way a bit), but there aren't really any restaurants or stores nearby to hang out at. This will discourage camping out. Also, a lot of people won't want to take their car to the stadium and get there faster because they're charging 40 Bucks for parking.
Clearly I haven't been paying enough attention, because I didn't realize they were charging that much. What the hell?

How do you find out what they charge ahead of time, anyway? Foxboro charged $40 in '09 too. I think Houston was only $20 though.

Their web site lists the cost. I had just never bothered to check. Good thing I don't drive a limo, or I'd be paying $100 to park. :lol:

I'm looking at parking at a BART station to avoid paying the fee (I'm coming from Sacramento), but then I can't bring my chair and other GA supplies. I'm a sucker and I'll probably just end up paying the $40. But I will not be happy about it!

Seriously, don't pay that cost. Just park at a BART station. It's like ten bucks round trip from Dublin/Pleasanton to Oakland Coliseum and back. 40 (plus gas) is torture. Plus, you won't have to worry about traffic either since you'll get there right when expected.

My girlfriend and I will be taking BART into Oakland in the morning and probably going to the Museum of California before heading over to the queue in the late afternoon....should be fun.

You do make a convincing argument. Not sure yet what I'll end up doing.

I really need to ask you guys this.

What do you think the weather will be like on the day of the show?

I initially thought that it's usually nice and warm in early June in NoCal.

But then I started thinking that June NoCal weather may not be so different from June Seattle weather.:lol:

I want to bring my cargo shorts, because I might end up using up all my pants during my trip to Seattle.:lol:

San Francisco usually finishes first as the number one outdoor city in the country and it actually has around 250 days a year of sunshine which is more than San Diego! Yes, there's the fog that can roll into certain parts of the city quite regularly on a daily basis, but it's usually somewhat warm. Oakland's usually colder, but June should be just fine and probably about 65-70 degrees or so when the show kicks off.

Monthly Weather Forecast for Oakland, CA - weather.com

Hmm, thinking some more, especially how the weather has gone back & forth a lot this year.....well, it would be pretty epic to have a little rain at the show, no?

it will be chilly in the morning and hot by afternoon. even if it's cloudy, be careful of sunburn.

Is it warmer there in June than in August? 'Cause it was pretty freezing there in early August (except for a few hours in the middle of the day).

the weather is unpredictable and swings wildly from san francisco to east bay. It can be 65 in san fran and 95 across the bay.

While I agree with Sicy's annoyance that a lot of people will need to get off work early to get to the show, it's kind of a blessing in disguise.

1) Being held on a weekday, it's even more likely that the afternoon GA line will be extremely short due to not everyone taking off work.

2) The Bay Area is one of the least U2 friendly urban areas in the country. Demographics play into that, but especially the hipster culture that runs amok around these parts. Again, another good thing because there's less hardcore fans in the area.

3) This show clearly wasn't an instant sell-out as there's been posters advertising it in newspapers and the underground train system. Again, less demand = less people waiting in line at 10AM.

A lot of posters have indicated that you can often get a nice front row spot on the sides of the inner circle by showing up as late as 6 PM! So, I think we should count our blessings that we aren't Dublin or New York or whatever. Leave work a little early, get there by 4 or 5 PM and we should all be good.

Very good points and I agree with all of it.
I probably will get there around 4 or 5pm. In Vegas we showed up at 6pm and were able to walk right into the inner circle. Ended up outside of it though a few rows back and it was fine.

^I guess I won't be lining up with any Interferencers then.:(

I plan to get to the stadium by mid-morning (immediately after rush hour) and just see what happens after that. Since it's projected that GA will be relatively tame for this show, I'll probably aim for the front rail in the inner circle- like I did at the Rose Bowl.

Is it warmer there in June than in August? 'Cause it was pretty freezing there in early August (except for a few hours in the middle of the day).

Wow. I've lived in Buffalo and it never got that cold during the summer.

the weather is unpredictable and swings wildly from san francisco to east bay. It can be 65 in san fran and 95 across the bay.

I guess I'll just wear shorts. At the Rose Bowl show, it was cold at 5 AM but warmed up to 80 after the sun came up. I was wearing black jeans and my legs were sweating in them all day.

So I am going to the only one there at some gawd awful hour of the morning? :ohmy:

I was planning on getting there about 7am - driving in and coughin up the 40 bucks to park whenever they open the lot.

Has there been any ticket drops for this show lately? Or hints of any coming up? I just moved up from SoCal and thought I would try and pick up a couple of tickets at the last minute.

So I am going to the only one there at some gawd awful hour of the morning? :ohmy:

I was planning on getting there about 7am - driving in and coughin up the 40 bucks to park whenever they open the lot.
No, I'm lining up early, too. That's assuming I can drag myself out of bed, anyway. I'm flying home from Seattle the night before and will be driving into Oakland from Sacramento on the morning of the show.

I'm going to try to show up as early as possible. I'm aiming for the front rail in the inner circle- but closer to the middle this time. I don't think I'll have much luck, though.

Regardless, I haven't been in the inner circle since the Rose Bowl.:crack:

I'm going to try to show up as early as possible. I'm aiming for the front rail in the inner circle- but closer to the middle this time. I don't think I'll have much luck, though.

Regardless, I haven't been in the inner circle since the Rose Bowl.:crack:

You'll do fine early in Oakland.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom