June 24, 2011 - Glastonbury

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Any talk of them bringing or using anything to do with 360 is ridiculous, and if its in the media, completely made up. Only thing, I would think, would be the hanging microphone.

haha yeah exactly! The Edge was fucking THERE last year, he's hardly going to have come away saying "Guys! It was amazing, the claw will look great by that stage!" the thing takes six fucking days to completely set up and take back down again!!

they're obviously going to have something pretty stripped down (by their current standards) i can't wait to see what they do! would hardly surprise me if they just had a screen wall at the back. like Popmart/Vertigo but smaller obviously, and a boss light show!! :) at the end of the day, as long they play the best set of their lives that's all that matters! part of me wants it to piss down with rain that night, always seems to make a great glasto set even better - provided they're on fucking time!! :wink:

my speculation they will have simple HD screen behid them,or two, like the one on nloth promo tour, and 3D projectors that wil project on pyramid stage roof (like bladerburg? gate), and kick ass lightning(bad boys from 360....)

im gonna go with that for 100% :D:D

Macca and bruce each got roughly 3 hour time slots. U2 will do the same 120-135 minutes they do elsewhere.

are you sure? 3 hours seems an awfully long time for Glastonbury... Radiohead only got 1.5 hours (the full concerts from when they headlined in 1997 and 2003 are both up on youtube...)

They had barely any production at the Slane show and we all know what a great, electric performance that was. At Glastonbury, anything resembling that will do! Obviously an extended ramp would be good for allowing Bono freedom to move about a bit.

are you sure? 3 hours seems an awfully long time for Glastonbury... Radiohead only got 1.5 hours (the full concerts from when they headlined in 1997 and 2003 are both up on youtube...)

yeah i looked them up the other day and they're surprisingly short! McCartney was on for around 2 hour 30 minutes (10 minutes over, £1,000 fine) Springsteen was around 2 hours 40 (9 minutes over, £3,000 fine?? They obviously got stricter over five years) and apparently asked for 3 hours! not sure if that's true or not.

They had barely any production at the Slane show and we all know what a great, electric performance that was. At Glastonbury, anything resembling that will do! Obviously an extended ramp would be good for allowing Bono freedom to move about a bit.

I wouldn't be surprised if they use a similar light rigging (the spinning lights) as Streets at Slane. The headliners at Glastonbury are normally allowed one or two bits of stage show which the other acts don't get to use. I can see U2 going for something simple yet effective.

I honestly don't think the band will be affected by curfew if they are allowed 1 hour and 45 minutes to two hours of playing time. How long are the band on stage during 360? I'm pretty sure they don't mind going 10 minutes over. :wink:

I wonder if they re-use the Elevation or Vertigo(arena or stadium) walkways for Glasto?

Though for 98% of the audience it doesn't get them any close to the band.

Its just the problem that at Glastonbury the stage is miles away from the front barrier. They definitely need some ramps to alleviate that. I don't want a stock-still at the mike performance from Bono, he needs some freedom to move.

No way it will be anything extreme. Slane was essentially a U2 gig with support acts. Glastonbury - they won't want to make any extreme structural changes, plus the main consideration is for all the acts on that day, and the crowd throughout the whole day (which no doubt will be fuming at U2-campers, but anyway...) Anything U2 do can't be too intrusive, or too difficult. *If* anything (is there definitely a precedent? Someone mentioned Springsteen having a b-stage, but I can't find any photos that show it) it will just be a simple, straight line ramp to a bare-minimum sized b-stage, and probably not that far out into the crowd.

It is an unusually large gap between stage and crowd though. And whenever U2 play with any gap like that, Bono always looks a bit out of place or not sure what to do with himself. I'm sure if there is a precedent, they'll probably do it too. And even if there's not, they'll probably try for something. Even if its just some sort of extension to the front of the crowd for Bono.

Otherwise - pretty much Slane. Except Slane was in line with the whole simple Elevation staging outside of lighting. I'm sure, whether or not they have a 'custom' screen, they'll go nutty on the visuals.

Someone mentioned Springsteen having a b-stage, but I can't find any photos that show it) it will just be a simple, straight line ramp to a bare-minimum sized b-stage, and probably not that far out into the crowd.

It is an unusually large gap between stage and crowd though. And whenever U2 play with any gap like that, Bono always looks a bit out of place or not sure what to do with himself. I'm sure if there is a precedent, they'll probably do it too. And even if there's not, they'll probably try for something. Even if its just some sort of extension to the front of the crowd for Bono.

YouTube - Bruce Springsteen ''Waiting On A Sunny Day'' Glastonbury 2009

Yeah I was mistaken, he has a staircase from the stage and a flight case but nothing else. That's weird, I could have sworn he had a ramp to the crowd!

Totally agree that Bono looks out of place in such a situation. I remember he was pretty subdued movement-wise for Live 8. He needs to be pumped full of energy, they all do. It will be genuinely interesting to see what they do.

Yeah I was mistaken, he has a staircase from the stage and a flight case but nothing else. That's weird, I could have sworn he had a ramp to the crowd!

Totally agree that Bono looks out of place in such a situation. I remember he was pretty subdued movement-wise for Live 8. He needs to be pumped full of energy, they all do. It will be genuinely interesting to see what they do.

Bruce had slightly more impromtu stairs/ramps at Hyde park, Bonnaroo and maybe some other festivals like Pink Pop and Carhaix he played in 2009.

And two of them will be me and my friend.

Question for the people who already scored tickets,
can you order more than one ticket a person?
And if so do you need to have a passport photo of the people you are ordering for?

I don't think Muse used those honey combs at any of their own shows. US had the 3 "towers" and European stadium had the production that looked the front of a ship or side of a building.

Back in 2007 Muse used completely different production at Isle of Wight and their 2 nights at Wembley.

That screen is Muse's own , they used it at every festival , including Rock Werchter 2010.

And two of them will be me and my friend.

Question for the people who already scored tickets,
can you order more than one ticket a person?
And if so do you need to have a passport photo of the people you are ordering for?

I'm assuming both you and your friend are registered? All you need do is put in the registration codes you'll have been given when signing of each person you're ordering a ticket for [along with each person's postcode] then go through to payment . it'll ask you to confirm names/addresses etc

GOOD LUCK by the way! :wave:

Yes that's what I need! Thank you for the clear information.
We have registered today, and all is set , we have 2 laptops and a computer ready to break trough the barriers!
U2 fans are the best :hi5:

How long did it take for you guys to get a confirmation of registration ?
I know its probably checked by people , since it includes photo's,
and I'm from outside the UK, but you don't get any automail,
saying you have tried registering.

A day or two, from memory. There's probably a bit of a rush on at the moment, with the re-sale date just being announced. Fucking U2 fans.

I just got it , everything went smooth and I penned everything down just in case.
Does it help having multiple computers ready on the day of the sale?
Wow , I'm asking so many questions. I'll promise its the last one:crack:
I just want those tickets so bad. Like all those other fucking U2 fans. I hate them.

yeah it might help. Just one tip, when it says you're in the waiting queue, don't just wait, keep refreshing again and again and again. Staying in the queue just automatically refreshes the site for you every 30 seconds or something like that.

yeah two computers can never hurt! Also if you're on wireless internet, make sure at least one of your computers is plugged directly into the modem instead of wireless just so you're not taking any risks speed-wise. also get any friends who aren't doing anything that morning to help you out. you're not in the UK so i'm assuming you're the only one of your circle of friends who's going so won't be getting in the way of anyone else booking by asking for people to try and get through for you!

I'm not entirely convinced these are the reasons but I had my laptop plugged directly into the modem, and had the ticket page as my home page for a long time in the run up to the re-sale. when the day came, I clicked 'Book tickets' and literally went STRAIGHT through and was done in 30 seconds...so yeah maybe keep the ticket page as your homepage in case that helps? you never know :)

yeah it might help. Just one tip, when it says you're in the waiting queue, don't just wait, keep refreshing again and again and again. Staying in the queue just automatically refreshes the site for you every 30 seconds or something like that.

Yep , I always do that with U2 ticktets as well , I just practically rape my F5 button untill I get trough.
My friend has another 3 computers , So I'll guess we will have a bigger chance of getting trough now.

yeah two computers can never hurt! Also if you're on wireless internet, make sure at least one of your computers is plugged directly into the modem instead of wireless just so you're not taking any risks speed-wise. also get any friends who aren't doing anything that morning to help you out. you're not in the UK so i'm assuming you're the only one of your circle of friends who's going so won't be getting in the way of anyone else booking by asking for people to try and get through for you!

I'm not entirely convinced these are the reasons but I had my laptop plugged directly into the modem, and had the ticket page as my home page for a long time in the run up to the re-sale. when the day came, I clicked 'Book tickets' and literally went STRAIGHT through and was done in 30 seconds...so yeah maybe keep the ticket page as your homepage in case that helps? you never know :)

I'm usually logging on that homepage about an hour before.
And Keep it as my homepage, I'm pretty trustworthy in my wireless,
becuase it got me trough 3 U2 presale's the way you just described me ,
easy as cake.
I hope my luck holds on in this case , lmao:lol:

Just paid off my ticket. Blimey, £150 - could have done without that right now hehe.

Just imagine this opening -

EBTTRT
I Will Follow
New Year's Day

Glastonbury will be eating out of their hands. :D:D:D

Its probably a gud idea to have two different browsers going such as firefox & aol. I think relying on internet explorer was my downfall in October!

Im actually trying to get a job working at the festival as a way in. It will probably involve working for the rest of the festival but it will be worth it!

i did stewarding work one year. good camping and cheap(ish) food but I'd never do it again. really bad hours when I did it, while my friends were stewarding the non-festival days guiding cars in and had the whole three days to just enjoy the festival.
i was obviously grateful to even BE there but the hours were all over the place in the afternoon/evenings and the hour break wasn't enough to walk through the crowds, see 10 minutes of a band you were missing then make your way back :lol:

also - the money's no longer available to me in my account so it looks like the transaction's started and I've fully paid up now!!! :hyper: over the moon. Was so fucking worried something would go wrong. Had to borrow the 150 from my Dad til my next student loan comes in haha - so i owe him a bottle of wine or something

Domo - Good luck with tix. I'm trying too. Just registered the other day. ;) So nervous. Gonna be so difficult to get them. Thanks for all above tips everyone. :up:

U2 AND Friendly Fires, I MUST go. :hyper::lol:

Omg! Goodluck! Your trying as well!

And freaking Mumford & sons!!!
We should exchange registration ID's, if one of us gets trough you can order up to 4 tickets a person. Me and my friend have 4 comps and 2 phone's ready for attacking the sale.
If I get trough , should I order one for you as well?
I dunno if you have friends who will join you?
Teaming up will def. Increase our chances.

:hi5::hug: So awesome you are going! Meetup if we get trough this sunday.

I'm hoping for Kasabian as well, they are coming to lots of festivals this summer in Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom