June 24, 2011 - Glastonbury

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my guess -

Beautiful Day
I Will Follow
Get on Your Boots
Magnificent
Mysterious Ways
New Year's Day
Glastonbury
Still Haven't Found
Until the End of the World (or EBTTRT with tribute band hook-up)
Elevation
City of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Pride
One
Streets
HMTMKMKM
When Love Comes to Town (w/ BB King)
With or Without You
(maybe - All I Want is You)

Having said that, if it was to be a true greatest hits set I'd love them to chuck in a storming version of Bullet the Blue Sky, but I can't see that happening unless they decide to bring it back for the May/June dates.

Streets
Beautiful Day
I Will Follow
Get on Your Boots
Magnificent
Mysterious Ways
Elevation
Still Hav'nt Found
Glastonbury
Mercy
Until the End of the World
Pride
Bad
City Of Blinding Lights
Crazy
Vertigo
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Walk On
One
Hold me Thrill me
With or Without You
Moment of Surrender

I also think it's really funny that that article said they'll be "ditching the current show's set list for a greatest hits show".

Isn't that already what the show basically is now?

Wouldn't it be cool if they played songs off every album in their catalogue?

I Will Follow
The Electric Co
Gloria
Sunday Bloody Sunday
New Year's Day
Two Hearts, maybe?
Pride
Bad
Unforgettable Fire, maybe?
Streets
Still Haven't Found
WOWY
Bullet
Desire
Angel of Harlem
Mysterious Ways
One
The Fly/EBTTRT, maybe?
Zooropa or Stay
Mofo or Discotheque
Beautiful Day
Elevation
Vertigo
COBL
Get On Your Boots
Magnificent
Crazy tonight, maybe?

With Beyonce playing, jay-Z shouldn't be far behind.

Because they'll be playing with a different set, there is a chance of setlist variation.

Yeah but they'll be coming straight from the tour with little to no time for rehearsing a great deal of different tunes. That's why I think the set will be pretty identical to the 360 with a couple of NLOTH tunes dropped for warhorses and with the 'special' songs like Glastonbury and WLCTT with BB King thrown in since its a special occasion.

Yeah but they'll be coming straight from the tour with little to no time for rehearsing a great deal of different tunes. That's why I think the set will be pretty identical to the 360 with a couple of NLOTH tunes dropped for warhorses and with the 'special' songs like Glastonbury and WLCTT with BB King thrown in since its a special occasion.

They did Gimme Shelter with a similar time frame and a customs/long flight between Vancouver and NYC.

Maybe the show(s) just before Glastonbury will have identical setlist while they spend those soundchecks on something new. vanouver's setlist ws nearly identical to Rose Bowl/Vegas.

Yeah, there'll be no surprises for 'us'. Anything that deviates from the standard NA 360 setlist will either turn up on stage in the immediate shows before Glastonbury, or will at least be rehearsed at soundcheck. I think it will pretty much be a case of having a look at the two or three 360 setlists immediately before Glastonbury, and figuring that where they are rotating two 'hits' night to night, they will probably push both in at Glastonbury at the expense of a 'lesser' song, + maybe only one or two Glastonbury 'unique' songs. And those will still be fairly common U2-live staples, just not 360-staples.

Definitely nothing super left field or truly rare. Its not going to be the ultimate U2 fans ultimate U2 setlist. I think the real treat for U2 fans might only be in the way they play some songs, not in what they actually play. There's no chance that they're going to suddenly bust out Mofo. But there's a good chance that if they bust out Desire, this stands a good chance of being the occasion where we finally get a return of a full force, balls-to-the-wall version. That sort of thing.

good luck getting those media passes/tickets in the re-sale Earnie!! :wave: I i know the feeling!! I managed to get a pair of tickets in the re-sale last year. With U2 headlining I was obviously pretty desperate as I've been going since 2003 and to miss the year U2 FINALLY headline was not an option!! :lol:

Anyway, I don't know if it helps to have the booking page as your homepage in the months leading up to the re-sale, but I had it as my homepage for five months as I heard they sometimes let out tiny amounts of tickets unannounced. That may be bullshit, but come re-sale day, I clicked 'order' tickets and despite thousands and thousands of people rushing that site at the same time I literally just went straight through, no loading or waiting or anything. I was really skeptical for a whole week until the money left my account!! :p I don't know if having that page as my homepage and therefore visiting it every single time I open firefox helped, but maybe it helps? :)

-

never thought I'd say this but I hope they don't play Mercy. :reject:
after they went and fucked with that song, leaving it irreparably ruined/'radio friendly' ;) ...i'd happily see U2 drop that song forever just to hear them play Mofo once.

The only songs that aren't in the current set list that I can actually see them playing at Glastonbury are:

Glastonbury
The Fly
EBTTRT
I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight (not the remix)
Out of Control

Glastonbury - A lock.

The Fly/EBBTTRT - I think one of these might end up on the 'new' 360, taking over from Mysterious Ways. From Achtung, at Glastonbury they'll do Until the End of the World + One + probably Mysterious Ways. There might be room for one more, and I would think it would only be one of EBTTRT and the Fly, if either.

Crazy Tonight - No chance in its album form, and I would think whether or not the Remix gets a go depends on whether they think of it as more of a "Hey! Look! U2 can do dance!" thing, or more of a "Hey! Look! With the Claw we can turn a stadium into a nightclub!" thing. If it's more about the Claw, no. If it's more about U2-does-dance, maybe, but if that's the case, they should do something else! And also, I think the Remix on a 'normal' stage wouldn't really work. The performance of it all, moving around the stage, is kind of vital. It's a pretty long/dragging song on its own, not actually a good 'dance' song, and that would show more on an ordinary stage where there's no movement.

Out of Control - Possibly a pretty good chance actually, if they want to bust out a bit of ye olde straight-up rock credentials, then they'll probably reach right back for more than just I Will Follow (which will be a lock.)

Now what about stuff from ATYCLB and HTDAAB?

Beautiful Day, Elevation, COBL, and Vertigo will all be in the set for sure, but are there any others from those albums that we could see having a chance at Glasto?

The only one I could see would be maybe Walk On? Possibly Kite?

Vertigo, Beautiful Day - Lock, obviously.

City of Blinding Lights - Surely.

Elevation, Walk On - Thieving spots from far, far, far, far better songs that are far, far, far, far more deserving, but unfortunately, still highly likely. Elevation almost certainly. Walk On, not so much, but probably.

Kite, In A Little While - No.

I think any collaboration with BB king should be avoided at glasto.

More fitting would be the return of 'running to standstill' played just before streets and perhaps,.with guy garvey from elbow joining them.

(Space oddity intro)
Beautiful day
I will follow
Pride
Magnificent
New years day
Until the end of the world
I still haven't found (stand by me)
Stuck in a moment (acoustic)
City of blinding lights
The unforgettable fire
The fly
Vertigo
Sunday bloody Sunday (jay z optional)
----------------------------
Bad
Running to stand still (with guy garvey)
Streets
One
----------------------------
Every breaking wave
Out of control
Ultra violet
With or without you

You really think they Will play that many songs? Usually setlists at festivals are like 30 min shorter than a regular gig. 1.5h is what a headliner at a festival usually plays.

Yeah. I haven't got tickets either. Went last year and it blew my mind, was absolutely desperate to go back again this year, completely regardless of U2. I was in Spain with friends when the tickets went on sale, and I held them up for 2hrs hitting refresh, and just had to let it go. Fucking U2 fans! So I'll be one of the 200,000 trying for 1,000 tickets in April, and/or my girlfriend works for a large media company here and is trying to get a couple of media passes for us, which might just work.

good luck with tix Earnie! i hope you manage to get some!

i can't try this year - my son's got his exams in June so i definitely don't want to risk a trip to Blighty just then...

looking forward to seeing it on tv though haha

You really think they Will play that many songs? Usually setlists at festivals are like 30 min shorter than a regular gig. 1.5h is what a headliner at a festival usually plays.

hmmm that's true...

Glastonbury - A lock.

The Fly/EBBTTRT - I think one of these might end up on the 'new' 360, taking over from Mysterious Ways. From Achtung, at Glastonbury they'll do Until the End of the World + One + probably Mysterious Ways. There might be room for one more, and I would think it would only be one of EBTTRT and the Fly, if either.

Crazy Tonight - No chance in its album form, and I would think whether or not the Remix gets a go depends on whether they think of it as more of a "Hey! Look! U2 can do dance!" thing, or more of a "Hey! Look! With the Claw we can turn a stadium into a nightclub!" thing. If it's more about the Claw, no. If it's more about U2-does-dance, maybe, but if that's the case, they should do something else! And also, I think the Remix on a 'normal' stage wouldn't really work. The performance of it all, moving around the stage, is kind of vital. It's a pretty long/dragging song on its own, not actually a good 'dance' song, and that would show more on an ordinary stage where there's no movement.

Out of Control - Possibly a pretty good chance actually, if they want to bust out a bit of ye olde straight-up rock credentials, then they'll probably reach right back for more than just I Will Follow (which will be a lock.)

The Fly and EBTTRT would be awesome, and UTEOTW for sure, Achtung Baby material would be really strong, and some Zooropa would be nice, Stay would be gorgeous... and definitely the early high-energy songs too like Out of Control and I Will Follow, and JT material of course, those killer classics that work so well in a live setting and that have survived the test of time... i think ATYCLB songs could be well received, Beautiful Day for sure, and Vertigo off the Bomb...

NLOTH songs though i'm not so sure about... but oh god i seriously hope they don't do Crazy Tonight in any form whatsoever - it's too craptastic-Euro-pop-dad-disco sounding!! and if Bono tries to show the Glastonbury crowd how to dance, he'll get pelted with bottles of piss and laughed off the stage! bring it on i say :D

The Fly and EBTTRT would be awesome, and UTEOTW for sure, Achtung Baby material would be really strong, and some Zooropa would be nice, Stay would be gorgeous... and definitely the early high-energy songs too like Out of Control and I Will Follow, and JT material of course, those killer classics that work so well in a live setting and that have survived the test of time... i think ATYCLB songs could be well received, Beautiful Day for sure, and Vertigo off the Bomb...

NLOTH songs though i'm not so sure about... but oh god i seriously hope they don't do Crazy Tonight in any form whatsoever - it's too craptastic-Euro-pop-dad-disco sounding!! and if Bono tries to show the Glastonbury crowd how to dance, he'll get pelted with bottles of piss and laughed off the stage! bring it on i say :D

totally agree. Crazy tonight and especially the live remix of the song are cringeworthy at best.

Yes, I'm sure the Crazy Remix is AWESOMEDANCEMUSIC for a lot of U2 fans, but it would be flat out embarrassing at Glastonbury.

Yep. Quality control at U2HQ were having a day off when they let the crazy remix and accompanying video into the setlist. (where it shows no signs of being budged)

However, on a positive note it is always a good time in the show to go for the obligatory toilet break.

Subjective opinion and whatever but I don't understand how one cannot get excited by the Crazy remix.

I think it's one of the highlights of the show (and I am far from ignorant about some of the great dance music out there at the moment) and I hope they play it.

As a performance, strip the theatrics - all the whole band ramp roaming and Claw-becomes-nightclub stuff, and the extreme size of the visuals/lighting etc they have on that stage - and imagine it on a standard festival stage. I don't think it would work anywhere near as well. Its all of those theatrics that allow the song to kind of drag to its final payoff the way it does. And 'drag' is exactly what I think it would do away from the Claw. I don't think it would create the same atmosphere. Maybe at the beginning, maybe at the end, but it will bottom out through the middle, where if you just listen to it rather than watch it, there's really a whole lot of nothing happening for quite some time. The songs will well and truly rule over the (comparatively) minimal theatrics at this gig, and I think the Crazy Remix is definitely one song that would suffer greatly for that. It needs all of that shit for it to work. For 95% of their regular live catalogue, that's not the case.

And personally, while it may be a cool 360 thing, it's not some all time great U2 thing. It would be, to me, a bit of a bummer if they use a precious Glastonbury set list spot on a lesser performance of an average remix of a dud U2 song.

all the more reason to play Mofo. sandwiched between Streets and I Will Follow at the beginning of the set :)

also

i think people got worried about this last year before they had to pull out, but headliners honestly do get a full set!

Springsteen played 25 songs back in 2009!! I realise for Springsteen that's actually shorter than normal :wink: so perhaps Muse last year (even with their fucking about in between songs with guitar soloing and stuff) is a better example, i know they did their full set at the time.

there's basically no chance of U2 being forced to cut their set. but let's just pray there's no techy faults delaying them getting onstage...there's a 20,000 quid a MINUTE curfew fine...

------------------

i also think that article about them being told they wouldn't be allowed to bring their 360 stage and screens is bollocks as well, i'm sure everyone's said that already in this thread though. where do people hear these things???

Macca and bruce each got roughly 3 hour time slots. U2 will do the same 120-135 minutes they do elsewhere.

I'm most curious about what stage production they will bring. The claws and probably the screen will still be in the US. The Glasto stage probably isn't even strong enough to support the all or part fo the circle screen.

I think its time for them to bring the lemon out of retirement :wink:

For most on the mainstage, they work with a standard, very large rectangular screen at the back of the stage (which can just be used for band shots, or their own personalised visuals - or both) alongside two side of stage screens that are generally band shots only. Lighting seems to be standardised too. But the headliners do get to personalise.

Picture below is Muse onstage last year - you can see at the back the 'honeycomb' screen thingy that they had, which was running a mix of stuff, ad I presume was part of the standard Muse tour set at the time? Arena set at least? No idea. Plus, Muse clearly brought their own lighting. Their lighting was off the charts compared to anyone else on that stage over the weekend. Not just because its Muse and they send everything nuts, but it was clearly a beefed up rig as well.

So with U2, don't know. As suggested earlier in the thread, wouldn't be surprised to see them try and 'extend' the stage a bit to try and close the gap between it and the crowd in some way, possibly a ramp to a mini b-stage? They might also do something at the back of the stage screen-wise, but they wouldn't have anything good to go as per Muse. It might just be the standard screen + Glastonbury-specific visuals. And surely, like Muse, they'll go apeshit on the lighting. Any talk of them bringing or using anything to do with 360 is ridiculous, and if its in the media, completely made up. Only thing, I would think, would be the hanging microphone.

muse_glastonbury_festival_201002_blog.jpg

I don't think Muse used those honey combs at any of their own shows. US had the 3 "towers" and European stadium had the production that looked the front of a ship or side of a building.

Back in 2007 Muse used completely different production at Isle of Wight and their 2 nights at Wembley.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom