June 23, 2010 - Edmonton

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, when they announced BEP's to open in Vancouver I was pretty much expecting a shitty lip synched hip hop act but judging by the audience reaction, most people were completely blown away or at the very least pleasantly surprised. Everyone was up on their feet dancing and clapping and singing along! That being said, I have faith in U2's ability to book a decent opener, and i'm sure Nickelback would be a rockin good time! :p However, if they're going to book a Canadian i'd rather see Tom Cochrane!!! :hyper:

Oh, on a completely different note, i booked a hotel in downtown so we can take the train that someone suggested. The Days Inn is VERY reasonable for DT and only a block or tw from the train. Just wanted to give a heads up to anyone else needing a hotel. My only concern is how safe DT Edmonton is at night. I'm sure it'll be fine with all the rowdy U2 fans about. :p

I'd rather have BEP as the opening band. In fact, I'd rather see any other band open instead of Nickelback.

I will not be impressed with Nickleback or BEP. especially if other cities can get acts like Muse, Elbow, Snow Patrol to name a few from 2009 part of tour.

BEP was better than I expected, but my friends or I did not sing or dance while they were on in Vancouver. Lots of people didn't. We patiently waited it out.

Downtown Edm is not bad, I've lived here 3 years and have never had any issues. LRT service after events is ok, hope they will be adding trains to cover the crowds. It can be a zoo after football & hockey games. But to the hotels area of downtown its only 3 or 4 stops - not far at all, but not a roue I'd be walking at night.

I will not be impressed with Nickleback or BEP. especially if other cities can get acts like Muse, Elbow, Snow Patrol to name a few from 2009 part of tour.

Agree with Witsa...how about Metric or some other Canadian band...like Mother, Mother...
Fingers crossed we get a great opening band! I always enjoy seeing who U2 will pick...they have introduced me to some amazing bands that way!

BEP was better than I expected, but my friends or I did not sing or dance while they were on in Vancouver. Lots of people didn't. We patiently waited it out.
Agree with Witsa again. BEP in Vegas was okay because it was Vegas and suited the show (as much as the BEP can suit a U2 show) I did dance and get into it, but only the last 2 songs really made me dance...and they were good for those last two songs. The rest of the set I wondered why BEP only did covers (or samples) of other songs.

Downtown Edm is not bad, I've lived here 3 years and have never had any issues. LRT service after events is ok, hope they will be adding trains to cover the crowds. It can be a zoo after football & hockey games. But to the hotels area of downtown its only 3 or 4 stops - not far at all, but not a roue I'd be walking at night.

Downtown is safe as long as you stay West of 100 Street and south of 107 Ave. North or east of that and then it gets a bit sketchy.

Where the Days Inn is a great spot, 100 Ave and 106 Street, you're right by Corona Station and it is very safe. You are close to the legislative grounds and the lovely river valley. Shopping is at Churchill or Central station, LRT is underneath the mall. Lots of good restaurants downtown too!!

Downtown is safe as long as you stay West of 100 Street and south of 107 Ave. North or east of that and then it gets a bit sketchy.

Where the Days Inn is a great spot, 100 Ave and 106 Street, you're right by Corona Station and it is very safe. You are close to the legislative grounds and the lovely river valley. Shopping is at Churchill or Central station, LRT is underneath the mall. Lots of good restaurants downtown too!!

ooo awesome!!

You know what, as much as I love Muse and like Snow Patrol the atmosphere that the Black Eyed Peas delivered in Vancouver destroyed what those other bands were able to bring in TO or NY when I saw them. There is alot to be said for creating a vibe and lets face it here in North America BEP will get the crowd going. It's party music. Muse and Snow Patrol are obviously much greater bands but to be honest I had a better time with Black Eyed Peas as the opener. Sounds crazy but it's true. Now if I was seeing them in Europe that'd obviously be a different story given how huge Muse is and Snow Patrol so......

I would love to see David Usher open for U2. He's amazing live and his style would fit fairly well with U2. Edmontonhj mentioned Metric and they would be sweet. Mother Mother is also an awsome live band so either of them would be great.

You know what, as much as I love Muse and like Snow Patrol the atmosphere that the Black Eyed Peas delivered in Vancouver destroyed what those other bands were able to bring in TO or NY when I saw them. There is alot to be said for creating a vibe and lets face it here in North America BEP will get the crowd going. It's party music. Muse and Snow Patrol are obviously much greater bands but to be honest I had a better time with Black Eyed Peas as the opener. Sounds crazy but it's true. Now if I was seeing them in Europe that'd obviously be a different story given how huge Muse is and Snow Patrol so......

See, thats exactly what i found.

I really like downtown Etown. I had a very good time at Dirty Pretty a few weeks ago, kinda dirty but fun none the less. Also anyone who wants a good meal for a cheap price i say Juilio's.:drool: And that pizza place on Whyte.. i can't remember what it's called.. it's famous and realllllly good!

I really like downtown Etown. I had a very good time at Dirty Pretty a few weeks ago, kinda dirty but fun none the less. Also anyone who wants a good meal for a cheap price i say Juilio's.:drool: And that pizza place on Whyte.. i can't remember what it's called.. it's famous and realllllly good!

I am assuming the pizza place you are talking about is Funky Pickle but I could be wrong :)

Pardon my geographical ignorance, but would a road trip from Edmonton to Minneapolis be feasible given the current concert dates i.e. Edmonton 23 June and Minneapolis 27 June? It'd be lovely to take a day or two to see part of the great Canadian interior, maybe even stopping off in Winnipeg for a night.

Pardon my geographical ignorance, but would a road trip from Edmonton to Minneapolis be feasible given the current concert dates i.e. Edmonton 23 June and Minneapolis 27 June? It'd be lovely to take a day or two to see part of the great Canadian interior, maybe even stopping off in Winnipeg for a night.

Easily. It could probably be don in 2 days without killing yourself too much.

Truthfully the drive in Canada will be a straight line through the prairies. The nice looking mountain range is on the west side of Edmonton. Unless Mount Rushmore or Yellowstone is on your checklist just fly it.

Hey there Albertans.:wave:

I have a few additional off-days from work to squeeze in this show. I've been dying to see what a U2 concert would feel like during daylight.:)

I've never been to Edmonton before. And this will be my first trip to Canada since 1995.

What is the cheapest and most convenient way to get from Edmonton International Airport in Leduc to the Days Inn in Downtown Edmonton?

Airport security-wise, how is flying from the US to Canada (and back) different from flying within the States?

Thanks Peter, I was hoping for mountains, forests and lakes! Are Mount Rushmore and Yellowstone along the route?

Easily. It could probably be don in 2 days without killing yourself too much.

Truthfully the drive in Canada will be a straight line through the prairies. The nice looking mountain range is on the west side of Edmonton. Unless Mount Rushmore or Yellowstone is on your checklist just fly it.

Thanks Peter, I was hoping for mountains, forests and lakes! Are Mount Rushmore and Yellowstone along the route?

Considering both of those are in the States and nowhere near Minnesota as far as I know, I'd say no :) As Peter said, you'd have to go west instead of east to hit the Rockies, you'll be seeing a lot of flat land (though it's very pretty from the air :)) from Edmonton eastwards.

Never heard of The Fray but first impression from their website = meh. Oh well, on with U2!! Woulda been nice to get Lenny though! :(

Hey guys. This will be my first time in Canada in 15 years.

Could I still use US currency to pay for cab rides, food, light rail tickets, etc.?

If not, how do I do the whole currency exchange thing?:huh:

Could I still use US currency to pay for cab rides, food, light rail tickets, etc.?

most places offer at par. I'd exchange it. Although the rates are close right now... (You can go into any bank and exchange it for good rates. Check the difference on Canadian banks & US online. it may be wiser to exchange when you get here. lots of banks along Jasper Ave - just a thought)

When are most people arriving? Thinking of planning a big get-together at a pub on the Monday night to save ourselves for early GA on Wed AM... but we may have to start early on the Tuesday if most people don't arrive until then....

Thoughts?

Best way to fund yourself is through credit cards if at all possible. You can also use the ATMs as well - check with your bank and see if there are any 'partner' banks that waive the fee. For example, if you are a Bank Of America customer and you draw from a Bank Of Nova Scotia (Scotiabank) ATM, the fee is waived, vice versa for us when we draw from BOA ATM.

Best way to fund yourself is through credit cards if at all possible. You can also use the ATMs as well - check with your bank and see if there are any 'partner' banks that waive the fee. For example, if you are a Bank Of America customer and you draw from a Bank Of Nova Scotia (Scotiabank) ATM, the fee is waived, vice versa for us when we draw from BOA ATM.

I have BOA.:)

So if I draw from a Scotiabank ATM at the Edmonton airport, it will give me Canadian currency?

I have BOA.:)

So if I draw from a Scotiabank ATM at the Edmonton airport, it will give me Canadian currency?

Yes, it would, and here's the FAQ about it (click Frequently Asked Questions: Using your Check Card or ATM Card in international countries)

https://www4.bankofamerica.com/search/Search.do?questionbox=canada

Problem is though, there's not a Scotiabank ATM right at the airport. Do you know where you are staying yet? And I assume you are looking for the initial cab fee payment to get there? If you are going downtown, it is going to be roughly a $50 cab ride - seriously that much, it is quite far. (ie to Courtyard Marriott Edmonton Downtown - they quote $46.00 CDN one way).

You may have the option of a shuttle too so let me know where you're staying.

Scotia ATMs will be very prevalent downtown but if you know your hotel I can check for you to see if there's one nearby.

Problem is though, there's not a Scotiabank ATM right at the airport. Do you know where you are staying yet? And I assume you are looking for the initial cab fee payment to get there? If you are going downtown, it is going to be roughly a $50 cab ride - seriously that much, it is quite far. (ie to Courtyard Marriott Edmonton Downtown - they quote $46.00 CDN one way).

You may have the option of a shuttle too so let me know where you're staying.

Scotia ATMs will be very prevalent downtown but if you know your hotel I can check for you to see if there's one nearby.

I'm staying at the Days Inn Downtown Edmonton on 106th St., just south of Jasper Ave.

I'm thinking that I should use the SkyShuttle to get to and from the EIA in Leduc.

http://www.edmontonskyshuttle.com/

Would that be the best option?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom