June 03, 2010 - Rice Eccles Stadium SALT LAKE CITY, UT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, it looks like I'm keeping my trip to SLC to avoid paying astronomical filght change fees. Can anyone suggest which route is a scenic drive from SLC to Bryce Canyon/Zion area? I'm probably just gonna do a road trip there and back for the 2 days I'm gonna be in Utah.

irony is, for me, that i was originally going to use my vacation this year working on things around the house. Then u2 announced the SLC date, so i said wtf, im going! Then i made a list of all the things i was going to do around the house and set a target completion date of Memorial Day, after which i would take off for SLC. So in the hurry to complete everything on time i had to work a little harder and faster.

On the evening of 20 April, i was out in my backyard working on my fence. I was digging up the old posts and replacing them with new metal posts, plus new hardware, etc. That night i was bent over pulling up some stubborn tree roots when my back suddenly went out and i couldnt even more. Now, im in pretty good shape, but this really messed me up for a couple of days. I spent two days with heating pad and pain pills, i didnt not even go to work. Obviously all i did was pull a muscle or something very minor. But since then i have been very very cautious about all of my work around the house, plus my workout routine has been scaled down quite a bit. Thing is, i had been sort of worried that i would re-injure my back and be unable to make the SLC show! :doh::doh::doh:

I guess i dont have to worry about that anymore :|

Anyway...other events in my life that have been "unfortunate" or
untimely", being as i have purchased concert tickets and have hotel reservations and other monies set aside for the trip. Last sunday (Apr 16) we had a massive storm come through which dumped baseball sized hail on my entire area of town. One of my cars has damage on it, but the big thing is the roof on my house now needs replaced. Yes i have insurance, which is great for the car, but its not going to pay for the entire roof because the roof was not new when i bought the house 5 years ago. So they are going to pro rate what they give me and im likely to have to come out of pocket a few thousand for the new roof. Estimates are anywhere from $9-12K.

So i wasnt exactly thrilled about the idea of going on a semi-expensive trip at the same time i have to pay for the new roof and get a car in the shop. Plus ive been worried about the kitties staying home that long without me. Even though i have a good friend who is going to check on them daily. Still...lots of BS to worry about.

Now im just worried about Bono! Aint life funny sometimes? Seriously though, i hope that Bono makes a quick and full recovery, and that his pain is minimal and he will be good as new. As other people have said, the fans "we aint going anywhere" we will be more than happy to wait as long as it takes for him to heal. I did cancel my hotel reservations today though....and im hopeful that when SLC is re-scheduled that i will be able to make it to the show barring any potential scheduling conflicts.

I hope those of you who have airline tickets are able to get refunds or somehow make the best of a trip through beautiful Utah. Though u2ah would have been a lot better :|

So, it looks like I'm keeping my trip to SLC to avoid paying astronomical filght change fees. Can anyone suggest which route is a scenic drive from SLC to Bryce Canyon/Zion area? I'm probably just gonna do a road trip there and back for the 2 days I'm gonna be in Utah.

this thread from another site i frequent has some ideas for you about Bryce and Zion. Sounds like something i would have done....or rather...i will be doing whenever this thing is re-scheduled.

Road trip to national parks in S. Utah - Corvette Forum

Good Luck :wave:

:ohmy: Wow, sorry to hear about all those things. I always have a fear of my back going out, because I can't even imagine how painful it must be...

Yikes, that's a lot of money for the roof. :| Nah, it's not BS. People worry about the little things, but then something major happens like your health, and suddenly that takes priority. I'm sure the U2 camp were worried about a lot of things related to the tour, and then this happened, and I bet they're all prioritizing Bono's recovery first.

My company had a major layoff last December, after I'd bought the concert tickets for most of the shows. I survived it, but I was really thinking to cancel going to the shows where I'd have to fly, because I wasn't sure of the future of my company (and my job).

In February I found out we weren't expecting anymore layoffs, so I continued to make my plans. In March my company signed a contract to convert our existing system to another system. This is a major effort that would have taken many programmers to do. And they had laid off all those programmers, and we were left with a skeleton crew. It seemed impossible for us the skeleton crew to pull this project off. By end of June. The new system boasted that they can handle some of IT functionalities of our company. So rumors spread on how they're trying to get rid of IT altogether. You can just imagine me and my co-workers. :panic:

As we're exploring the new system though it's come to light they won't be able to handle some of the functionalities we thought they were going to. And my boss basically reassured me that he's not thinking of letting me go anytime soon.

So I finalized my plans, thinking with the economic uncertainty at my company, this may be my last year in the US, and I'd like to visit some of these places where U2 is going to play.

In the beginning of May, my boss announced no one is supposed to take off in June and July to meet the deadline for this project. :angry: I told him I already made plans, paid for airline tickets. I pleaded with him, I can work Memorial Day weekend if I have to, but I can't cancel my trips. All the while I was thinking he is now going to fire me for sure... He talked to his boss and managed to get an exception for me to keep my trips. :love: He only said that I will have to be available by phone in case he needs to reach me for my part of the project, which I didn't object to.

And now this happened. :sigh: I would have to pay $300 and the fare difference if I changed the date of my trips. I'm thinking I might as well keep them. I don't want to imagine what my boss would do to me if I changed my plans again. :yikes:

And as long as I can get refunds on the tickets, Bono can take his own sweet time recuperating. I would be disappointed, but not upset if the North America leg is postponed. But I had some of the best times in the tour last year. So I'm ok. :happy:

Wow! See your story is an example of the hoops we fans have to jump through just to follow this band around like we do. I can see why you are going to go ahead with the trip to Utah afterall, your boss went through a lot go get your time off and now if you were to go back and say you didn't need it afterall...yeah its best just to go ahead and take your trip i suppose. Unless this thing with Bono was widely publicized (which, it kind of is) and your boss was aware that you were going to this tour, then he might wonder why you were still going to utah since the show was postponed? Cant win either way can you?

Im really lucky because i work for the government and we get so much time off its just sinful. I guess thats our reward for dealing with all of the red tape BS we have to put up with daily. Seriously though, im very lucky. Even if i have had some bad luck lately, its all good. The glass is always half full with me...im very blessed and i hope that even in my most sarcastic moments on this board i dont ever lose sight of that fact. I will take having to pay for a roof or whatever any day over some poor soul in Africa.... or wherever for that matter.....who cannot remember the last time they had a decent meal, much less a roof over their head. Sorry if im being preachy though. Life really is a beautiful thing full of blessings. Yes we all experience turbulence sometimes, bumps in the road, crazy challenges, shit that just drives us plain crazy. Well thats all part of it i guess.

I wish you luck with your job and i hope you get to see all of your shows. Sounds like your boss is taking care of you. I do have a suggestion for you, instead of getting a refund on your SLC shows, if you are unable to attend, why not try and sell them to someone on this board? Might work out better all the way around....of course i hope you can just keep and use the tickets.

I guess for every story like yours and mine, there are bound to be several hundred more. And the thing is, it's all worth it. Something about this band...so very special....it's crazy but true.

Cheers :wave:

I can see why you are going to go ahead with the trip to Utah afterall, your boss went through a lot go get your time off and now if you were to go back and say you didn't need it afterall...yeah its best just to go ahead and take your trip i suppose. Unless this thing with Bono was widely publicized (which, it kind of is) and your boss was aware that you were going to this tour, then he might wonder why you were still going to utah since the show was postponed??
He knows I'm a U2 fan. Right now he doesn't know my trips are for U2 concerts. I think even though I tell him about the postponed concert I still have the argument that I'd paid for my flight. That's really the reason why I'm keeping my trips. If I cancel now, I'll have to pay $150 change fee for my flight.

...Sorry if im being preachy though. Life really is a beautiful thing full of blessings. Yes we all experience turbulence sometimes, bumps in the road, crazy challenges, shit that just drives us plain crazy. Well thats all part of it i guess.
Nah, you're not. I know what you mean about blessings and being fortunate than so many other people in the world. :)

I wish you luck with your job and i hope you get to see all of your shows. Sounds like your boss is taking care of you.

Thank you. I've been with the company for several years, it's a private family-owned company, and I try to be on the good grace of the owners. As long as I can do that, I think I still have a job. :D Unless the company goes under. :sad:

I do have a suggestion for you, instead of getting a refund on your SLC shows, if you are unable to attend, why not try and sell them to someone on this board? Might work out better all the way around....of course i hope you can just keep and use the tickets.
If U2/LiveNation would just come out with the new date, I'd consider that. Depends on their refund policy. If they give us some time to return the ticket for refund, maybe I'll post it here first for a week. If there's no taker, then I am returning the ticket. I don't want to miss the refund opportunity and have no taker on my ticket, and so I'll be stuck with a ticket to a concert I won't be able to go to.

Oh and thank you for that link to the forum about the possible driving routes! It's quite helpful.

I drove by the Stadium this morning. It's tough to *not* see the Claw up anymore. :( There are a few trucks in the parking lot still, but I don't think there's nearly as many as their used to be. I didn't see the stage setup on any of the trucks--just closed "box" trailers.

As an aside, it's been an extremely rainy Spring here the last few weeks, and it's snowing today. That definitely wouldn't have been ideal for rehearsals tomorrow, anyway. :) The stage crew set up the Claw in rain all last week. I bet that's a week of their lives they wish they could have back!

I'm hoping to see the Claw back here one day--relatively soon. Hopefully an announcement regarding the rest of the dates will be made today so we can get the SLC show rescheduled.

The part that saddens me the most are all of the out of town fans that were going to come and experience the beauty Utah has to offer. For those that are cancelling and will not be coming to a rescheduled show, I'm sorry.

Michael

I officially cancelled all of my reservations today (car, hotel & flight).

I got a credit to use for one year for the Delta one-way ticket I had from SLC to Anaheim. Probably will end up not using that at all since the fee will be $150 at the time of rebooking and the one-way ticket was only $131, It'd be a losing proposition regardless.

I officially cancelled all of my reservations today (car, hotel & flight).

I got a credit to use for one year for the Delta one-way ticket I had from SLC to Anaheim. Probably will end up not using that at all since the fee will be $150 at the time of rebooking and the one-way ticket was only $131, It'd be a losing proposition regardless.

Don't they take the fee out already when issuing the credit (which in this case would wipe it out)? I cancelled everything yesterday too. When talking to the lady at the hotel about why, she said oh yes, I heard about that, but otherwise wasn't all that aware of the implications (guess nobody else was staying there). JetBlue took $100 for the cancellation, leaving me with a $269 credit, which will be useful down the line...

Delta doesn't charge the fee until the time of rebooking and yes at that time it would cost me $20, thus why this is a total loss.

^ Cathal, rent a car, drive down, cross the Hoover Dam, see the Grand Canyon,... if you make it all the way down here, I'll buy you the best margarita and taco platter of your life!

Ladies, ladies, control yourselves! :)

It's exactly as the Mormon Bible says: a taco for a taco and a margarita for a margarita. Come up for a pub crawl in SLC Maryann and Iris! Alma is already gonna be there :)

I'm gonna sit outside the Nasi Goreng Eccles stadium with my travel speakers next Thursday night playing Barcelona 1 from last year.

Cathal, I am having visuals of John Cusack in 'Say Anythin'g with you in the parking lot with your travel speakers playing Barcelona 1.

sayanything.jpg

If U2/LiveNation would just come out with the new date, I'd consider that. Depends on their refund policy. If they give us some time to return the ticket for refund, maybe I'll post it here first for a week. If there's no taker, then I am returning the ticket. I don't want to miss the refund opportunity and have no taker on my ticket, and so I'll be stuck with a ticket to a concert I won't be able to go to.

Oh and thank you for that link to the forum about the possible driving routes! It's quite helpful.

Yeah, the longer they take to set a new date the more anxious im going to be as well.

And no problem on the link. I keep seeing these "Utah" Tourism commercials on tv and before i would get really excited to see them. Now all i get is kinda sad. :( WTF!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom