July 9th, 2010 Miami, FL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aventura is a nice area about 15 mins from the stadium and is close to the beach Residence Inn Marriott is like 107/nt there's Trump hotel on the beach in Sunny Isles for like 191/nt. Courtyard Marriott is about 127/nt. The Doubletree Sunny Isles Beach is 179/nt for oceanview (this is what they consider Miami Beach North...not as "hip" as SouthBeach but a lot closer to the stadium and less congestion). South Beach is about an 8 mile drive down Collins Ave. along the ocean if you want to go out at night.

Well if you enjoy clubbing and hip hop and really weird art performers then I suppose it's fun. Generally the restaurants are pricey and I'm sure the hotels are the same way. The beach is always packed on the weekends, but you can find nicer beaches a bit up north from South Beach, and not as overrun with summer vacation teens.
South Beach is Miami's only draw, so I can't knock it too much, but I personally don't like going out there unless it's for something specific.

I should mention that the majority of bands that come to South Florida in general usually do some time in the South Beach scene, so if you're a fan of stalking it might be worth your while to head down on Thursday/Saturday. For Vertigo the band arrived on Thursday (I remember them reporting it on local TV/radio) for the Sunday concert.
Radiohead also spent some time down here, as did Muse, despite their concerts not being in Miami.

:hi5: Great stalking opportunity, guys! :hi5:

I can tell you that Vertigo 1 sold out in less than ten minutes and within the hour they were announcing the second show. It's probably going to happen as many South Americans fly up to Miami for shows like this.

^ Yikes. Glad I have another presale code.

Well if you enjoy clubbing and hip hop and really weird art performers then I suppose it's fun. Generally the restaurants are pricey and I'm sure the hotels are the same way. The beach is always packed on the weekends, but you can find nicer beaches a bit up north from South Beach, and not as overrun with summer vacation teens.
South Beach is Miami's only draw, so I can't knock it too much, but I personally don't like going out there unless it's for something specific.

Haha thanks. I'll probably be skipping the clubbing on this trip and I hate crowded beaches. I'm currently planning my entire trip around an awesome sounding vegetarian restaurant on N.E. 123 Street. :coocoo: :help:

Aventura is a nice area about 15 mins from the stadium and is close to the beach Residence Inn Marriott is like 107/nt there's Trump hotel on the beach in Sunny Isles for like 191/nt. Courtyard Marriott is about 127/nt. The Doubletree Sunny Isles Beach is 179/nt for oceanview (this is what they consider Miami Beach North...not as "hip" as SouthBeach but a lot closer to the stadium and less congestion). South Beach is about an 8 mile drive down Collins Ave. along the ocean if you want to go out at night.

thanks! This is good information.

^ Yikes. Glad I have another presale code.

Haha thanks. I'll probably be skipping the clubbing on this trip and I hate crowded beaches. I'm currently planning my entire trip around an awesome sounding vegetarian restaurant on N.E. 123 Street. :coocoo: :help:

Hah, well I've been all over Miami so if you want more tourism advice I can help you (any of you, really) there.
If you want to go to a nice beach with hardly any people and a lighthouse to boot (you can climb up to the top), I'd recommend Bill Baggs Park in Key Biscayne. It costs $8 to get in, but it totally weeds out the seedy element, and the water is much much cleaner there. Plus there's a pretty nice walking trail through the mangroves where you can see Stiltsville in the background.

Brownsville, Downtown at night is not a good idea, North Miami Beach (west of US-1), Ft. Lauderdale in general (but I'm not too familiar with the nice parts of Ft. Lauderdale. Riverwalk is supposedly nice.), Allapattah, Overtown, Hialeah, Little Haiti/Havana. The last three are stomachable, but I would not recommend staying there. I wouldn't recommend any hotels/motels on 8th street either as you're more likely to be charged an hourly rate. :wink:

As far as safe areas (that also have touristic value) just stick to Miami Beach, Bal Harbor, Brickell, Coconut Grove (but be careful as there is a very tough neighborhood about a block away from the Grove. It was infamous in the '90s for tourists being assaulted/murdered. It's no longer like that, but I personally would not get down from my car in that area!), Coral Gables/Miracle Mile area, and Key Biscayne.

Be forewarned: Our public transportation is atrocious and the taxis are more expensive than LA. You're better off renting a car if you can afford it. The Metrorail pretty much takes you nowhere and is not a good idea at night either.

Edit - http://wikitravel.org/en/Miami is a good resource in general for travel to all sorts of places. I read the Miami article a while back and it was pretty thorough and accurate. Give that a shot.

Brownsville, Downtown at night is not a good idea, North Miami Beach (west of US-1), Ft. Lauderdale in general (but I'm not too familiar with the nice parts of Ft. Lauderdale. Riverwalk is supposedly nice.), Allapattah, Overtown, Hialeah, Little Haiti/Havana. The last three are stomachable, but I would not recommend staying there. I wouldn't recommend any hotels/motels on 8th street either as you're more likely to be charged an hourly rate. :wink:

As far as safe areas (that also have touristic value) just stick to Miami Beach, Bal Harbor, Brickell, Coconut Grove (but be careful as there is a very tough neighborhood about a block away from the Grove. It was infamous in the '90s for tourists being assaulted/murdered. It's no longer like that, but I personally would not get down from my car in that area!), Coral Gables/Miracle Mile area, and Key Biscayne.

Be forewarned: Our public transportation is atrocious and the taxis are more expensive than LA. You're better off renting a car if you can afford it. The Metrorail pretty much takes you nowhere and is not a good idea at night either.

Edit - Miami travel guide - Wikitravel is a good resource in general for travel to all sorts of places. I read the Miami article a while back and it was pretty thorough and accurate. Give that a shot.

I don't think the COC will be hiring you anytime soon. Anything in the beach areas is going to be fine...Ft. Lauderdale has a beautiful beach and nice hotels...don't stay directly in downtown Ft. Lauderdale unless you're staying in the Las Olas area (a trendy area with restaurants, boutiques and shops)...there's a nice hotel called the Riverside Hotel there. There's a "water taxi" that'll take you pretty much to any place that's accessible by water in the Ft. Laud. area. (this is kind of a fun way to see beautiful homes along the Intracoastal Waterway cheaply if you're into that kind of thing). I don't know Miami as well as Ft. Lauderdale but Key Biscayne is nice (Miami Seaquarium is there and the Ritz is on Key Biscayne if you're interested in spending that kind of money). It's great for biking. If you simply want a beach that's close to the stadium *relatively) then stick to Sunny Isles which is considered North Miami Beach. You should certainly be able to find a decent hotel at a decent price. Anything within a couple of miles of the stadium is not going to be great....and don't forget Hard Rock is up the road about 15 min (not near beach though). Beach is 15-20 min.

Just be careful, as you would in any big city...Miami is no more or less dangerous than anywhere else.

Thanks for the advice everyone appreciate it. My husband is going to come to the show now with me and my sister. I think we are going to be staying in the Ft Lauderdale area since we will have seats for this show. Going to check out the wiki travel link too and read up on that.

bonosbaby12........what Hotel are u guys staying in? My friend & I are thinking of driving down from Orlando & staying overnight for a few nights but we are trying to find something nice that has a microwave & refrigerator in the room.

I tried to make reservations at the Hard Rock, but their reservations system is only set up until June 30th, so it's still too early :lol:

My family usually goes to Sanibel Island the week after July 4th, which would be good because if I leave from there it cuts down my drive time to Miami.

bonosbaby12........what Hotel are u guys staying in? My friend & I are thinking of driving down from Orlando & staying overnight for a few nights but we are trying to find something nice that has a microwave & refrigerator in the room.

We haven't decided yet still looking. Would like to book something soon though. Once we find a hotel I will let you know. What we are looking for in a hotel is pretty much what you are looking for too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom