July 8th and 9th- Hippodrome- Montreal!! (Part 8)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I didn't mean to post that in here. I thought I was in a different thread. The dog I'm taking care of this week is acting a little weird tonight. :lol:

:reject:

Now I'm totally mortified. Move along people. Continue discussing the show and ignore me. Please. :lol:

I think I will recognize some form FB pictures. Maybe others can wear U2 attire?

We did nametags in Winnipeg, but that was a pretty small gathering. This one is looking like it is going to be really big, which is awesome!:hyper:

So do we all show up at the bar with name tags on, or something? :cute:

:wink:

Do you have any of us on facebook? I don't know what you look like. Someone mentioned wearing blue ribbons and I offered to buy a spool of blue ribbon but nobody responded. So I'd say, just look for the big group of ppl babbling about U2!

The meetup at 7 p.m. on the 7th at Le Vieux Dublin (The Old Dublin pub)

Roman (Romi)
Michelle (U2Mama) + 3?
Laura (Lauramullen)
Jorge (maybe... if he's not too drunk already)
Mark (Kramwest1) + Heather
Kristen (KristenCaNaDiAn)
Paul (paulrg)
Kim (Konakitty) +2
Maryann (Zuropa_fit) (if I can find the place, *follows K around* )
Theresa(WildHoney) (i'll stalkfollow Zooey )
Val (secretly alone)
Ingrid (Galeongirl)(I stalk Wild stalking Zu stalking Kristen )
Amy(ryancoke71)(Will be with K because people think we are sisters!
Katie (Katiesheb) +2 (tentative...especially if we do not get stuck on the Champlain Bridge!!)
Sharon (Thora)
Crystal (Ms The Edge) (if still alive after 3 layovers)
Heather (Edmontonhj) and I will maybe have an Edgefest with me. Probably.
Amy (GraceRyan) + 1 very unprepared husband :therethere: (this depends on traffic and whatnot)

Can someone bring me up to speed on airport-to-hotel transportation? Are most of you just planning on doing a taxi? According to Google it looks like you have to take a bus from the airport to get to the metro, and switch trains a few times along the way, so I'm thinking maybe taxi-ing would be way easier?

Hell yeah!:shifty:

We are just taking a taxi. It will save a lot of trouble and time! Make sure you let someone know when you are supposed to arrive, so we can expect you. How are we supposed to keep in touch with you?? Damn roaming fees!:angry:

Can someone bring me up to speed on airport-to-hotel transportation? Are most of you just planning on doing a taxi? According to Google it looks like you have to take a bus from the airport to get to the metro, and switch trains a few times along the way, so I'm thinking maybe taxi-ing would be way easier?

What day/time do you get in to Montreal? Maybe someone can share cab fare.

Your best bet would be to take a $15 charter/shuttle bus (L'Aerobus) that takes you from the airport directly to the Central Bus Station (Station Centrale) which is located right in the heart of downtown. From there you can either walk to your hotel depending on how close it is, or take the metro which is located directly underneath the bus station (Metro Berri UQAM).

Your other alternative would be taking a taxi. As long as your destination is somewhere in the downtown core, there is a set cab fare from the airport, which if I recall correctly, is $35. Check with the driver to see what the boundary is, but there should be a little map on the fare sticker that's on the passenger side window. Anything outside that area and you'll have to pay from the meter.

My fellow Americans, I finally had tome to do some searching, and for those of us without international roaming, T-Mobile has super cheap no contract prepaid phones for like $20. 70 cents/min, 10 cent texts. SCORE!

Your best bet would be to take a $15 charter/shuttle bus (L'Aerobus) that takes you from the airport directly to the Central Bus Station (Station Centrale) which is located right in the heart of downtown. From there you can either walk to your hotel depending on how close it is, or take the metro which is located directly underneath the bus station (Metro Berri UQAM).

Your other alternative would be taking a taxi. As long as your destination is somewhere in the downtown core, there is a set cab fare from the airport, which if I recall correctly, is $35. Check with the driver to see what the boundary is, but there should be a little map on the fare sticker that's on the passenger side window. Anything outside that area and you'll have to pay from the meter.

Thanks! I think our hotel is a bit far from downtown- it's by the Hippodrome, so going all the way to the central station would be out of the way. I think I'll write down info for several different options, and then just see what kind of mood I'm in when I get there.

Thanks! I think our hotel is a bit far from downtown- it's by the Hippodrome, so going all the way to the central station would be out of the way. I think I'll write down info for several different options, and then just see what kind of mood I'm in when I get there.

Again, your best bet is to take the bus to Central Station. From there you take the metro to the Namur metro station on the Orange line and simply walk out and your hotel and the Hippodrome is a hop, skip and a jump away.

Not only is this the most cost effective way ($15 bus + $2.75 metro) versus $40+ with a cab, but it's also the quickest way. The shuttle buses leave every half hour, but while it might be quicker with a cab, it really depends on the traffic. To get from the airport to the Hippodrome you'd have to take at least two highways and depending what time you come in traffic can be absolutely horrible.

My fellow Americans, I finally had tome to do some searching, and for those of us without international roaming, T-Mobile has super cheap no contract prepaid phones for like $20. 70 cents/min, 10 cent texts. SCORE!

How? Where does one procure such a thing? I still haven't called Verizon to see what their deal with this is. :reject:

How? Where does one procure such a thing? I still haven't called Verizon to see what their deal with this is. :reject:

There's a store locater on t-mobile.com. Luckily there's one close to my house! But it looks like yours should work- this is from the Verizon site:

1. Check for Service: Refer to our coverage information to see whether this service is available in your destination or cruise line

2. Dial *611 or call (800) 922-0204 or contact a Verizon Wireless representative to enable International Roaming.

3. Update your roaming capability by dialing *228 send from your device before you travel.

CDMA Standard Roaming Per Minute Rate: $0.69
CDMA Value Plan Roaming Per Minute Rate: $0.69

Text Messaging Rates
Domestic Text rates apply

Amy (GraceRyan) + 1 very unprepared husband :therethere: (this depends on traffic and whatnot)

:lol: I will keep you guys in my thoughts next Thursday!!! I hope you have GPS!!!

You're lucky! I have to travel an hour and a half to get one of these phones and that is not happening in the next 6 days!!! :angry:

Anyway....:shifty:

ONE WEEK TO GO AND U2 WILL BE AT THE HIPPODROME!!!!! :hyper: :dancing: :loveshower: :happydance: :cabbagepatch:

And, I also want to wish all the Canadians a happy Canada Day today!!!:cute:

:hug:Thanks!

BoMac, thanks for the info about the cab. We will be cab sharing, so that will cuts costs a bit.:up:

Crystal, you are a rock star. Only those that know you best have a true idea of what you have done to get to Montreal, and we all love you for it. It wouldn't be the same without you.:hug:

Here's to seeing some familiar faces again, and finally meeting people I feel like I have known forever!:weekend:

:lol: I will keep you guys in my thoughts next Thursday!!! I hope you have GPS!!!

And, I also want to wish all the Canadians a happy Canada Day today!!!:cute:

That's right - you're coming from the Vermont area, right? We are leaving hopefully around 7am. We do have to bring the dogs to the kennel and double back. It says 5 and half hours. I'm guess a little over 6 with stops. I'm hoping that puts us there around 3-ish.

For those arriving to the airport and not willing/not able to pay for cab fare.

These buses can take you from the airport to downtown or to the Hippodrome:

747 - This is a new one, and as the number suggests it stops at the airport and goes to Lionel-Groulx metro(subway) and Berri-Uqam so you can stop at either one, whatever is closer to your hotel.

202 - It stops at Dorval station which is right in front of the airport and it goes to Du College metro station which is 2 stations away from Namur(Hippodrome station).

211 - It also stops at Dorval and it's an express so it goes straight up to Lionel-Groulx metro where you can take the metro to whatever hotel you're at downtown.

The fare is 3 dollars for both metro(subway to our non-montrealer friends) and bus. The STM also has that cute U2 card that is 5 bucks for each day of the show and you can take as many buses and metros as you want.

Well, there is an advantage to being a poor student that can't afford a car, after all... :wink:

That's right - you're coming from the Vermont area, right? We are leaving hopefully around 7am. We do have to bring the dogs to the kennel and double back. It says 5 and half hours. I'm guess a little over 6 with stops. I'm hoping that puts us there around 3-ish.

Which interstate are you driving on through Vermont?

They use to show some cheesy ads late at night on American stations. :reject:

I remember going to Le Monde du Sexe. We'd seen it in Montreal when we went to the Elevation tour. Then we actually went in when I was up there for my bachelorette party. I was disappointed.

I think Google maps has us going up 93 and getting into Canada that way. Our new car has GPS so it will probably take us the same way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom