July 8th and 9th-Hippodrome-Montreal-Part 6 (PLEBA warning)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I need some travel advice. It's more expensive to fly to Montreal and back from Toronto than to go R/T to and from Toronto. So i'm thinking of flying to Toronto on Fri 7/1, seeing a Blue Jays game on Sat then to Montreal on Sun or Mon, then back and leaving Toronto 7/12 or 13. My questions are:

1. Train R/T is $156 non refundable, Megabus could be $10-30 each way. Which am I better off with? I've read about express trains, but I don't see any on ViaRail. The durations look similar

2. Is 3 full days enough to see Montreal where if I never went back I wouldn't feel bad. Or should I leave Toronto on Sunday.

I feel like for a 11-12 day trip, I'm wasting a lot of time in transport that I should forget Toronto. The thing is though, all of a sudden I can't use miles on the days I need to go to Montreal, but Toronto is wide open, so it's kinda like I have to do this schedule.

Sorry for the long math problem, but I tend to think things to deep and lose sight of the obvious solutions. I'm trying to save costs but I want to see as much as I can.

Don't discount Toronto as an absolutely fantastic city to spend time in. July 1 is Canada Day, and that Jays game (and the city 'vibe') is going to be really patriotic and really fun. They have some absolutely incredible fireworks down on the lake, and the festival of tall ships at the harbour. I can tell you all kinds of things about Toronto and give all kinds of suggestions about things to do if you let me know what you are in to. I've gone there so often that I know the downtown area like the back of my hand, my husband is from there is well.

I'm a bit confused on your timeline though - would you just be spending one day in Toronto (1st) and then the 10/11/12 for the Toronto show, and Montreal from the 2-9? I'd consider going to Montreal on possibly the 3rd or 4th, that way you'll split your time between cities.

As well, look at this airline to fly in/out of Montreal from Toronto. It leaves from the downtown airport (Billy Bishop) which is ultra convenient if you are staying in downtown Toronto. Just note that if you were to fly out of Pearson (YYZ) that the cost of a taxi each way is $50-$60 so if you can get a flight out of Billy Bishop that's the way to go.

Porter Airlines

I'll be on the 10am flight back to Toronto on the Sunday morning.

Note-Air Canada also flies out of Billy Bishop too, the airport code you need is YTZ.

Don't discount Toronto as an absolutely fantastic city to spend time in. July 1 is Canada Day, and that Jays game (and the city 'vibe') is going to be really patriotic and really fun. They have some absolutely incredible fireworks down on the lake, and the festival of tall ships at the harbour. I can tell you all kinds of things about Toronto and give all kinds of suggestions about things to do if you let me know what you are in to. I've gone there so often that I know the downtown area like the back of my hand, my husband is from there is well.

I agree about Toronto being a good place to spend a few days in, especially around Canada Day, I went last year at that time (it was SUPPOSED to be for U2 but we know what happened - since the hotel was non-refundable I went anyway), and there was so much going on. Had a great time watching the fireworks and the ships, also the Jazz Fest and seeing Cyndi Lauper at Pride, and just the city in general. I hear Montreal doesn't get into Canada Day as much because of the French - English baggage and all that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom