July 8th and 9th 2011 - Hippodrome - Montreal - Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, so I'm not sure what was said in the other thread since I haven't been around all that much recently, but the postponement, in my view, may cause some complications.

The deal with the owners of the Blue Bonnets site, as I understood it, was that the temporary structure would be torn down after the concerts and then developed into a residential housing project or something along those lines.

So the big question is: are the owners going to hold off developing the site for another year? If not, then there may be issues. Will the band opt for Olympic Stadium? Can the stage, specifically the pylon, be downsized to fit the stadium? I also believe that Parc Jean Drapeau is way too small for a show of this magnitude. It can hold as many as 40,000 people, but getting them off and on that island might be a logistical nightmare. Just getting to the subway following the 2008 Radiohead concert there took me 2 hours, when it should normally take me 2 minutes.

So what then? The only other viable option that I can think of is Parc Maisonneuve, which is directly across from the Olympic Stadium. That might be big enough to do something similar to what they planned to do at the Blue Bonnets site.

I hope we know the new dates before we get to the end of this thread. Especially if it lasts anywhere near as long as the last one did :wink:

I don't care about the weather... the sonner the better for me. I'll take April. we can all wear snowshoes as we run in.

What else can we do in Montreal if we can't see U2 in July? I might go anyway as I can't cancel my hotel reservations.

There's just for laughs - street arts
International Fireworks competition at La Ronde
Circus festival

anyone have details? ideas?

I can just see us all bundled up in snowpants and parkas trying to run across the field:lol:

I'd rather wait for next summer!

I don't care about the weather... the sonner the better for me. I'll take April. we can all wear snowshoes as we run in.

To hell with snowshoes!!! I am going to fly right by you with my skis!!!:lol::wink:

Seriously, if the rumor is true that U2 is going to be in North America in April, May, and June, June is the ideal month to have a concert in Montreal. April is out of the question and May can be a moody weather month (this year, however, has been unusually warm!). June would be a safe bet, particularly at the end of the month.

I'll definitely save my money and go for a moderate vacation whenever the rescheduled date is instead of a whirlwind long weekend like I wouldve had the shows remained on schedule. Looking forward to visiting !

I'll definitely save my money and go for a moderate vacation whenever the rescheduled date is instead of a whirlwind long weekend like I wouldve had the shows remained on schedule. Looking forward to visiting !

I'm doing a two-week vacation in July, and a whirlwind weekend next year.

I'm wondering when they reschedule a tour if they try to keep the shows during the same days of the week from the original plan as much as they can?

I'm wondering when they reschedule a tour if they try to keep the shows during the same days of the week from the original plan as much as they can?

doubt it. and I'm betting the whole tour schedule will be scrambled to allow for the warmer cities in April and the cooler cities in May.

But i don't think there's enough warm cities in those 14 to start a tour in early-mid April,though.Unless they ad more warm towns...which would mean going back in Texas,Arizona and Vegas

Yeah, so I'm not sure what was said in the other thread since I haven't been around all that much recently, but the postponement, in my view, may cause some complications.

The deal with the owners of the Blue Bonnets site, as I understood it, was that the temporary structure would be torn down after the concerts and then developed into a residential housing project or something along those lines.

So the big question is: are the owners going to hold off developing the site for another year?

I'm not too familiar with the status of the land, but found this article
Quebec wants $100 million for Hippodrome

The government wants to try to sell the land for $100 million, which I think is different from the original plan. Then the new land owner would develop it. I don't believe it has been sold, and don't know how the real estate market is in Montreal -i.e. if there's a slump, there's no rush to develop it.

I think my husband and I are still going to go ahead with our little trip to Montreal--as an early anniversary get-away (our 20th is in October:love:-yes-I was a child bride:lol:) I just need to make sure that my mom will still watch the kids. (especially since I'll need her babysitting services again when the tour is rescheduled).

We'll probably go up on Friday instead of Thursday. Is anyone else planning on being there? We can arrange a meet-up at Hurley's--maybe they'll have some sort of U2 event going on!

Let's hope they realize they're playing in Canada and there's still snow on the ground in April most places :lol: (Well at least where I live) :wink:

The weather is a huge issue...that's why this spring rumor confuses me. Most of the cities have nasty weather in April, and are barely safe in May :huh:

Btw, regarding the hippodrome...I wanna drive by it when we're there :wink: :drool:

Maybe Arcade Fire will be able to play, or someone, anyone other than that Interpol band. That lead singer has a chip on his shoulder and is so monotone.

With a full 12 months postponement,there's gonna be a a heavy load of tickets refund.So,to resale those tickets,they'll may need to bring a big name opening act.

Will be interesting to see.

"This is where we'll be next year!!"...:hyper::hyper::hyper:
Strange...the disappointment is slowly, slowly turning back into excitement :)

We can take pics in front of the empty field :lol:

I kinda know what you mean Val. I was thinking the other day about the whole situation and I've been trying to put a positive spin on it:

1. We get to have two trips to Montreal together and hang out twice as much.
2. We get to actually do some sight seeing of the city instead of sitting outside the stadium all day
3. We can check out the areas and hotels and see where's best to book for next year, and we'll know exactly where we're going next summer
4. After this summer is finished we'll still have something to look forward to next summer instead of nothing
5. We have another year to have the excited pre-concert feelings
6. We can add more shows :shifty:
7. This year gives U2 more time to come up with new awesome ideas for the show.
8. Bono will be fully recovered and better then ever :love:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom